• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

The dwarf pics are so fucking boss.

I will admit, my favorite dwarf is Balin, but he's more of the elder sage here and the rest of the cast seems to be the real fighters.

When I saw the list, I was like "ha, I might be on that list...let's see..."

Edmond Dantès;41884098 said:
Technically they can be mentioned by name and detailed in brief, but the actual narrative is strictly off-limits.

He also has dialogue in the Akallabêth, in fact it's his most prominent role in all of Tolkien's legendarium. You get a strong sense of his character in that story.

I wish we could get a Del Toro Silmarillion.

Even just a trilogy of the best stories:

Film 1 - Beren and Luthien
Film 2 - Turin (ha, never happen..."litttttle sissster..."
Film 3 - the fall of Gondolin

And we NEED a fall of Numenor film. That would have it all. Action, heroes, and tons of Sauron playing the Satan role.

More (13) new pics :

https://plus.google.com/u/1/114727809246387939564/posts/bBEC32GFvjt

192919_354276847986911_1818109417_o.jpg

Wow just looked at Graham McTavish who is Dwalin and apparently he did mocap and voice for Lazarevic and Charlie in Uncharted 2+3. Thats pretty awesome.

Platy

Edmond Dantès;41890820 said:
Dain's supposed to make Thorin and Dwalin look tame in comparison. Cannot wait to see him explode onto the scene riding a gigantic wild hog.

Still can't imagine Billy Connoly looking bad ass ..... My mental image of him as a crazy hippie from "Stil Crazy" and "A Series of Unfortunate Events" will need WAY too much makeup to be destroyed

Man, the Dwarfs look great! Well, the one doesn't really look like a Dwarf, but the costume and character design on the rest is awesome.. So, trailer anytime soon?

On another note, how much should I spend for the LOTR series on Blu Ray? I have all the dvd extended editions but I really want to upgrade.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Man, the Dwarfs look great! Well, the one doesn't really look like a Dwarf, but the costume and character design on the rest is awesome.. So, trailer anytime soon?

On another note, how much should I spend for the LOTR series on Blu Ray? I have all the dvd extended editions but I really want to upgrade.
Buy the extended Blu-ray version. It‘s around £40.

Loxley

I think my personal favorite image of Sir Ian as Gandalf is actually from that cover of Empire Magazine from a year ago:

844557500c44b82.jpg

The pipe, the smirk, I love it. If only he had his hat I would consider it to be perfect.

Platy

Yeah .. the pipe one wins by a little margin .... but only because in the new one it looks like Gandalf fingers are made of potatoes

He have to thank the fact that there is no Samwise on this movie

Edmond Dantès;41920897 said:
Thanks for that.

I think we can all agree that Gandalf the Grey ===> Gandalf the White in terms of likeability.

I'm not entirely sure of that. I especially liked when he entered Rohan and threw off the cloak to reveal the white robes beneath, then expelled Saruman from Theoden.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm not entirely sure of that. I especially liked when he entered Rohan and threw off the cloak to reveal the white robes beneath, then expelled Saruman from Theoden.
Gandalf in his grey raiment was a lot more approachable, someone you could imagine going to the pub with. Gandalf the White was a General through and through, given a new raiment for one purpose by Eru, to take the fight to Sauron.

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;41884098 said:
Technically they can be mentioned by name and detailed in brief, but the actual narrative is strictly off-limits.

He also has dialogue in the Akallabêth, in fact it's his most prominent role in all of Tolkien's legendarium. You get a strong sense of his character in that story.

D'OH, how could I forget that!

Edmond Dantès;41981777 said:
Ask him if he's in The Hobbit. He's been very coy about it so far.

Also, was the humour exhibited by his Gimli character something that he devised and had a say in? Or was that humour already part of the script.

I have been thinking of ways to trip him up about being Gimli in The Hobbit. I watched an interview earlier today where he said 'I'm not in The Hobbit' followed shortly by 'I think I've already said too much about it', which leads me to think he is in it.

I will consider your second question.

Loxley

I actually don't completely mind the old design, the problem simply lies with the rushed CGI - which I feel is more to blame for the wargs looking less-than-great.

I much prefer the more standard wolf-like warg designs.

Also, they should have done something about that scene in later releases or the Two Towers. The Legolas whipping himself on to the horse moment, was particularly bad.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Confession time:

I really, honestly think that I'll end up enjoying and loving The Hobbit trilogy more than the LOTR trilogy.

Maybe it's because I just enjoy The Hobbit more than The Lord of the Rings as a story.

Daft_Cat

Edmond Dantès;41994697 said:
I really, honestly think that I'll end up enjoying and loving The Hobbit trilogy more than the LOTR trilogy.

If Jackson can pull off that response but on a wide scale, then he will officially become the luckiest, if not the best blockbuster Director of all time.

..or maybe he already is? In that case he'll hold the line!

Edmond Dantès;41992241 said:
More Warg pics from that Hobbit book released a few weeks ago.

warg2.png

warg1.png

In comparison to the scroll Wargs.

wargs.jpg

'Hyena' Wargs are banished for good.

I dunno, the new look just isn't doing it for me from those pics.. it just has a generic fantasy wolf look to it.. Actually, it reminds me of the wolf from 300 despite some obvious differences:

MQ95i.jpg

Maybe Ill end up liking it more when I actually see em in motion in the film..but at the very least, the break of continuity in the designs bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom