• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Still no updates about KR Amazons on Western Amazon Prime streams. They might just be waiting for the series to finish for the binge-watching crowd.

"Power Rider" is loooong dead. I suspect that the trademark was filed for the off-chance Saban adapted the Shinkenger & Decade crossover. Of course they didn't do that so the trademark lapsed.

Still no updates about KR Amazons on Western Amazon Prime streams. They might just be waiting for the series to finish for the binge-watching crowd.

"Power Rider" is loooong dead. I suspect that the trademark was filed for the off-chance Saban adapted the Shinkenger & Decade crossover. Of course they didn't do that so the trademark lapsed.

The funny part is given Saban's desire for a big-budget film, Kamen Rider would probably lend itself more towards that arena.

WillyFive

The funny part is given Saban's desire for a big-budget film, Kamen Rider would probably lend itself more towards that arena.

Depends on which one adapted. Despite iconic in the industry, the original Kamen Rider is a very generic superhero compared to the modern roster of names in the popular culture.

Depends on which one adapted. Despite iconic in the industry, the original Kamen Rider is a very generic superhero compared to the modern roster of names in the popular culture.

Oh no, it's 100 percent generic. I maintain that they could do a solid CW-style show in the US.

BUT MORE KUNG FU THAN OTHER HEROES AND MONSTERS!

jwk94

Oh no, it's 100 percent generic. I maintain that they could do a solid CW-style show in the US.

BUT MORE KUNG FU THAN OTHER HEROES AND MONSTERS!

That season 1 Flash finale still makes me long for a high-budget Time Force. We'll never get a CW toku though =/.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kyuranger 10

So the team is in danger and Lucky is the only one who can save them has 15 minutes to do so but he instead decide to goof off...can we have Yamato back?

Also I feel that this episode should have been the kid the commander and the ghost bear.

Just because Lucky is the red ranger does not mean that he should have all the screen time.

Ex-aid,

Great episode as usual though the theme is more or less a repeat of Nico getting the virus but I let it slide as this is acting as a filler episode for next week episode with Poppy.

Personally I can't wait to see Hiro's reaction to when he see that graphite is alive, he's gonna be pissed and probably loose his cool head.

Didn't Crunchyroll try to get Kamen Rider but it ended up being way too expensive?
Toei needs to ease up on that. Give access to a worldwide audience.
It's not like there's going to be many new Japanese kids

It was both Kamen Rider and Super Sentai but they ran foul of red tape, though older Super Sentai have been released subbed on DVD so I am not sure what's the hold up with Kamen Rider.

But yeah if they want Kamen Rider to grow Toei needs to expand the series outside of Japan.

My guess is that they are watching to see how Kamen Rider Amazons does on Amazon prime when it gets a western release.

NeonZ

I don't think that is happening anymore. They haven't mentioned the Western release at all ever since they started promoting Amazons season 2.

Jeffrey

nogKKBd.jpg

What's with persona and Jetman lol. Feels like every game since 2 has some parody of them.

Tiu Neo

What's with persona and Jetman lol. Feels like every game since 2 has some parody of them.

Featherman!

Well, it was kinda important on 2, they just chose to bring it back as a nod to the fans, I guess.

Hope we get Featherman costumes to the 5 cast someday, like 4 Golden had.

(Also, that's why Futaba is the best).

BatDan

I still stand by the theory that they're waiting until the series is done so they can get the binge-watching crowd.
But if we don't hear news within the last few episodes, it's probably dead.

On another note, just spent the last couple days at C2E2. Saw the usual MMPR cosplays, but I did see a kid as the Dino Megazord, some of the Ninja Outfits from Season 3, and the biggest surprise, two guys as the Dairangers.

Big One

Banned
I started Drive today and ended with the Gaim/Drive crossover movie...and I noticed that Gaim as well as the crossover movie does aliens much better than Fourze ever did, lol. Kind of funny when Fourze's entire premise was based on space.

I started Drive today and ended with the Gaim/Drive crossover movie...and I noticed that Gaim as well as the crossover movie does aliens much better than Fourze ever did, lol. Kind of funny when Fourze's entire premise was based on space.

Fourze was never really about the aliens. It was just a backdrop idea. Its more about space travel, endeavour, and that all important FRIENDSHIP.

jwk94

Wait....so Palllad is the Bugster inside of M? How's that possible? We've seen Pallad since day 1 right? M didn't get his Bugster half awakened until he made the 2-in-1 Gashat.

Wait....so Palllad is the Bugster inside of M? How's that possible? We've seen Pallad since day 1 right? M didn't get his Bugster half awakened until he made the 2-in-1 Gashat.

I think he's so obsessed with Emu having all his abilities but refusing to use them to TATAKAE, that he's willing to try and infect Emu's Bugster personality and take it over, giving himself a bunch of powers in the process.

Get ready for Perfect Knockout to be on a whole new level of OP bullshit.

Big One

Banned
Also want to chime in that Kiriko not being the secondary Kamen Rider of this show (Drive) is some real bullshit. Is TOEI that afraid of having a women main character be a Kamen Rider? She's almost close with the enhanced boots and bullets she uses just no suit and henshin.

Sigh. So I managed to actually finish Kamen Rider Ghost and it's a miracle that I've not literally died of boredom. It's not as bad as something like Wizard as this black hole - a total absence of anything compelling or well handled - but it's not a show I feel was worth the time I invested into it.

- There is so much preachy nonsense that the show relentlessly pummels you with. Virtually every episode, Takeru makes a schlocky speech about how precious life is and/or how he believes in the infinite potential of humanity. It's so evidently written by someone who does not genuinely believe in something this simplistic and trite, because the show does barely anything to try and show what it is purportedly preaching. One-shot characters such as the mad Edison-admiring professor and the bespectacled guy who wants to jointly create a new space project with his formerly estranged father would have easily given up on their dreams without Takeru prodding them anyway. Heck, the show's final third is essentially Jesus Takeru handling all the threats virtually single-handedly.

- Makoto. Ohhh, Makoto. Even the writers didn't know what to do with you for the longest time. This man is so devoid of personality after he drops the angry, brooding rogue boy act that when it came time for the daft two-parter episodes featuring a dream world to visually display his idea of erm...joy(?)...pleasure(?)...inner desire(?) is a harem of his equally uninteresting younger sister parading around in different costumes. What the fuck. Kanon's a waste of space too. It's a shame, because the brief moments when Billy the Kid possesses her depicts the actress actually doing something that can resemble fun. The poor actress for 99% of the time acts as background decoration, looking perpetually worried and muttering "Onii-chan" over and over again because that's the base extent of how she interacts with her brother.

- I think everyone agrees on this. Alain is the most compelling rider on the show. His story is nothing original and I personally feel his betrayal at the hands of his brother and his subsequent nerf comes too abruptly, because by the time of episode 30 when his arc is more or less complete and he overcomes the limits of Necrom, the guy is essentially sidelined and just another tertiary rider who shows up to occasionally land a few punches. Nevertheless, I enjoyed his arc and his actor does one hell of a job, particularly at that one moment near the end when he confesses that he hasn't got it in him to kill his brother, because his heart is calling out for Adel to be saved instead. I did laugh my arse off when he's training under the wing of the Sanzo minions though. Somehow he resolves his fear of being an underpowered third wheel by...leap frogging? Oooookay.

- Okay, I can just about tolerate Onari's shenanigans, because this kind of contemporary Toku humour is what Toei does all the time. When he partakes in quieter moments without the sudden sugar rush, I actually find I can enjoy watching him and I liked his one-to-ones with Javel. So sure, I can see the potential of humanity here when blessing others with the act of kindness. But then when the Demia thing draws to a climax, for some reason Onari thinks he can abdicate his feeling of being useless by...possessing Alain and practically endangering his host's body when he tries to fight a Ganmeizer. Smart.

- Akari's fine, though her early character quirk of being a sceptic was irritating. Lady, you literally witnessed all these things happen to you, know that there are ghost monsters prowling around and your best friend was literally killed in front of you and has returned as an entity that can turn invisible. You don't suddenly then take a look at a new paranormal case brought to the temple's attention and declare in stark denial that it's impossible and that there must be a scientific explanation behind it. That doesn't make you an actual sceptic but more of an odd zealot. Though like I said, she grew on me and I appreciate the fact that while she's not a Kamen Rider for decent enough reasons (unlike *cough* Kiriko), she's the main scientific brain behind most of the operations, yielding actual results.

- Adel as the primary (human) villain is the equivalent of staring at a dry piece of toast. I don't know if part of it is the actor's fault or whether it's entirely based on the material given to him, but this guy cannot emote. He occasionally snaps and yells, but there's nothing etched on his face. His shots are also very intermittent, as if the script just had nothing interesting for him to say or do, so most of his appearances throughout the show would be 10 second shots to say the same things over and over again. His motivations are bog standard and his ambitions are undone when he realises his family actually loved him after all. How compelling.

- Alia's a tragic waste. Give her a Dark Necrom suit and have her partake in an insurmountable fight against two demigod entities for 20 seconds and there's your female Rider for this show. Poor girl has nothing to do all season but occasionally smile, look stoic and look lost and confused.

- Igor initially hit every note wrong and annoyed me to no end. I was praying for this guy to kick the bucket, but Ghost treats death with as much permanence as any of the Netflix Marvel shows when it comes to major members of The Hand, so I knew the bastard would be returning time and time again. He would grow on me though; I quite like that little morsel of a dynamic going on between him and Akari. I don't know why they felt Igor should end his time on the series proper by allowing a regular Ganma grunt to "kill" him as he muses about his sudden love for Akari though. You respect her as a fellow individual of science sure, but love? Oh spare me. And yes, Kanon can kill Ganma grunts with just two gentle wrist taps it would seem because why the hell not. It's not like the show was trying anymore by then.

- Okay, I know this is a kids' show and Kamen Rider appears to skew more towards the age range of 5-7 year olds these days as per Toei's mandate, but could the heroic Eyecons at least have been given just a wee bit more gravitas? They've gone about it terribly with them, as if it's just one single voice actor trying to put on 15 differentiating voices and they all sound like they're rejects from a pre-school TV show. I wasn't expecting the Grimm brothers to suddenly and accurately speak German no more than I was expecting anyone to acknowledge that Robin Hood probably was not a real historical figure, but I cannot for one moment believe that these caricatures if you can even call them that even remotely correspond with the historical figures they purport to be.

Okay, that's enough from me.

I watched Power Rangers (2017) today and thought to revisit Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Started the first episode on Netflix and the quality is really fucking bad. How they handled the interlacing is criminal. Goddamn. I expected SD quality but not this.

Is the DVD release by Shout! Factory any better? Or the episodes to buy on Amazon?

Also want to chime in that Kiriko not being the secondary Kamen Rider of this show (Drive) is some real bullshit. Is TOEI that afraid of having a women main character be a Kamen Rider? She's almost close with the enhanced boots and bullets she uses just no suit and henshin.

You shouldn't watch Type Tokujo because it'll make you scream with anger.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger Summer Movie

Eh. It's a summer movie. Last couple years those are just filler, but at least this didn't affect the series plot in a way it would be confusing to who didn't watch the movie, I guess? It was nice seeing the Zyuohgers again, but this was just... eh.

The effects were good, at least. Was Micchan's actor not avaliable for most of the movie? He's in like two scenes.

Well, there's still the crossover movies, but the fact that it's vs Ninninger and not vs Super Sentai is disappointing.

Yep. They even teased us on one of the specials, but nooo...

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 11

In the end, the Poop Deck constelation will be important, lol. It's a great way of using those three constellations. And there goes any chance of them leaving earth for some time.

Kotaro was... meh, too. At least he can grow as a character, which would be cool. We also got a bit more of Stinger's story. Nothing really new, but nice anyway.

The Ursas Mecha is cool. Actually, I think those are as good as the Ninnin good mechas. I'm glad they are doing a bit more with those Mecha battles.

I like how many useless/very specific uses Kyuglobes were shown this episode, heh.

This was kind of a good idea to do with Lucky, and he wasn't quite the center of attention this episode, but... Would it be too much to ask for some episodes with no focus on him at all, after this unlucky and his backstory arc ends?

javadoze

Some Ex-Aid scans unveiled some plot stuff. But mostly one important thing.

Dan is returning and so has my interest in the show.

Tiu Neo

Amazons Season 2 Episode 3

Is Haruka turning feral? Losing control? And hey, they took a pretty much useless character and transforming her into... something better? Not sure yet, but looks like that.

And the new types can get back to human form, after all? Or is that an older one?

And the rest of the old team sans the Amazons is back as a new team.

Also, where is Jin? Did he die off screen? I imagine he would be the first to show up if there was a Amazon attack.

Link1110

A boy tangentially relayed here, but am I the only one who named the persona 5 protagonist Shoutaro Hidari cause they called him joker in the intro?

Tiu Neo

A boy tangentially relayed here, but am I the only one who named the persona 5 protagonist Shoutaro Hidari cause they called him joker in the intro?

Oh, wish I had thought of that. Will do that when I replay.

But yeah, P5 really is Toku RPG.

Anyway...

Ex-Aid 28

The first Pallad/M fight was hilarious, Ex-Aid was not even trying, too OP, nerf now.

Poor Poppy, she got so much abuse this episode, lol.

So, in the end Pallad was Gamer M/Emu's Persona? How does that even work? We have seen them both in the same scene!

EDIT: Also, Poppy lost her Belt when she turned good? Really?

Well, makes sense with she not wanting to fight anymore, but ffs.

Tiu Neo

I'm just happy they are using the models quite a lot those last 3 or so seasons.

I was rewatching some early 2000s sentai episodes this week, and not only the CG was bad, but they used it for almost everything.

jwk94

The way things are going, probably. Either her or Taiga, but probably her.

Taiga needs a lil more motivation, so she's gotta go. If he dies before the finale....I mean there's her getting revenge, but she works best playing alongside Taiga.

Tiu Neo

Taiga needs a lil more motivation, so she's gotta go. If he dies before the finale....I mean there's her getting revenge, but she works best playing alongside Taiga.

Yeah. The motivation thing could be for both of them, but if one of them dies, it's probably her.

Nah. She has a suit with blue eyes which hasn't even been used yet.

True. I wonder what she'll have to do to get it back, anyway. They wouldn't show it flying like that in detail if they weren't going to make it a plot point, would they?

...that or it'll magically appear next time she transforms, I guess.

BatDan

My Carranger boxset came in today as well.
... I'll get to it eventually, after Ohranger... which I'll get to eventually. Probably should start tomorrow.

I really should drop into this thread more.

I finished Gokaiger last week. Great show and it just made me want to go back to watch or finish other older shows. They really pulled off the perfect anniversary show on so many levels. The theme was fresh and matched the concept perfectly. The action was well done and they did a great job emulating previous shows.

Marvelous might be my a tie for my favorite Red along with Shinken Red
(both of them).

With that finished I decided to pick up where I left off on Kamen Rider Kuuga since it was on Netflix. Some parts are annoying like the cafe bits, but the bromance between Godai and Ichijo really does elevate this show.
1352724478990xxuv0.jpg

I also really appreciate how little CG there is and the simplistic suits. It made the show feel more grounded which fit the j-drama tone well.

Slayven

Watching NHK world, did not know the Professor from Drive had his own show about tourism. His english is a lot better than the show lets on, he sounds very Midwestern Dad like

jwk94

I really should drop into this thread more.

I finished Gokaiger last week. Great show and it just made me want to go back to watch or finish other older shows. They really pulled off the perfect anniversary show on so many levels. The theme was fresh and matched the concept perfectly. The action was well done and they did a great job emulating previous shows.

Marvelous might be my a tie for my favorite Red along with Shinken Red
(both of them).

With that finished I decided to pick up where I left off on Kamen Rider Kuuga since it was on Netflix. Some parts are annoying like the cafe bits, but the bromance between Godai and Ichijo really does elevate this show.
1352724478990xxuv0.jpg

I also really appreciate how little CG there is and the simplistic suits. It made the show feel more grounded which fit the j-drama tone well.
Netflix Japan??

Top Bottom