• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
iuljxekgf7yxa0stp.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"we're proud to announce that none of the FLCL characters that you're cosplaying as will be in the sequel!"

So I'm still watching the second season of Food Wars. I like the series for the most part, but I still have one major issue with it, and it goes into the manga as well. I always find it disingenuous how much the narrative and characters want to cast Soma as the underdog. Even with how unconventional Soma cooks, you'd think at a certain point characters would stop acting like he has no chance at winning any of his matches.

And It'd be one thing if his unorthodox style ever bit him in the ass, but that's never the case, at least for the matches that actually matter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope the do another manga sequence and call outs to other animation styles. I remember laughing my ass off when the original series had that quick cut to where everything was done in South Park style.

ckohler

Animation quality looks really good from the trailer. Lots of detail, crazy camera angles and thin lines. Character designs appear slightly different but still mostly the same. Music is spot on (obviously). New protagonist and her techno cat ears are cute.

I'm quite optimistic.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, I wonder if they'll get the same artist. It's been a while since I last read it, but I recall it had a completely different 2nd half compared to the anime. Really hope it doesn't fall into "I feel like I'm just reading the storyboards or rather just watch the anime" trap a decent amount of manga suffer when the anime comes first instead of the manga.

I can't really think of a series where the anime was first, then the manga but people think the manga's better. Nobody talks about the Cowboy Bebop manga, that's for sure.

New FLCL trailer looks alright so far.

Highlight for me is seeing The Pillows back. Right there at the very least gives me some hope.

Huh, I wonder if they'll get the same artist. It's been a while since I last read it, but I recall it had a completely different 2nd half compared to the anime. Really hope it doesn't fall into "I feel like I'm just reading the storyboards or rather just watch the anime" trap a decent amount of manga suffer when the anime comes first instead of the manga.

I can't really think of a series where the anime was first, then the manga but people think the manga's better. Nobody talks about the Cowboy Bebop manga, that's for sure.

I think the Evangelion manga has its defenders but it's far from the majority.

Wayyy back in the day Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa would have their works adapted into anime like a month or two after the manga debut, but they would usually end up different barring some plot points informing each other.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the Evangelion manga has its defenders but it's far from the majority.
Oh right, I forgot Eva has....what, 5 different manga series? One that follows the anime, one that's a spin-off based on that fake universe Shinji has right near the end of the series, a comedy parody, a series that removes the robots & focuses on the characters, & a non-canon one that's suppose to be a sequel to the manga that follows the anime & is super ecchi?

Edit: omg, that last one I mentioned is a manga based on a game based on an anime. That sure isn't confusing.

Oh right, I forgot Eva has....what, 5 different manga series? One that follows the anime, one that's a spin-off based on that fake universe Shinji has right near the end of the series, a comedy parody, a series that removes the robots & focuses on the characters, & a non-canon one that's suppose to be a sequel to the manga that follows the anime & is super ecchi?

I remember reading one where instead of Evas, the characters instead wore powered battle suits.

I was thinking of the Sadamoto manga, which I've now learned is disqualified because it was technically released before the anime started airing to drum up interest but was rapidly outpaced (it finally finished in 2013).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember reading one where instead of Evas, the characters instead wore powered battle suits.
I want to say that's Campus Apocalypse? It was published in a Shojo focused magazine.

I got the first volume of Angelic Days from a yard sale many years ago, but that's all I read.

I have the Cowboy Bebop manga & the other one, Shooting Star. I don't think either one follows the anime & are rather forgettable. Not awful, just......rather disappointing when you compare it to the anime.

The thing about works like Eva and Bebop is that a manga adaptation doesn't have their strong directing, pacing, or soundtracks which I consider to be an integral part of both works.

Guess it's high time I go and watch FLCL. Read the manga a couple of years ago but recall nothing about it so I'll basically be going in blind. Is the dub available for free users on Funimation Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom