• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

New webcast every Friday at ~6:30pm

toonami.com
Toonami Tumblr
Toonami Stream

LKg28Ea.png

nWkVvJU.png

BPP2VJu.png

M2uBGTt.png

iUa6Rf1.png

nmttbLt.png

bnGk0Sk.png

nmttbLt.png

Y76KbWF.png

cdbyGya.png

|OT0||OT1||OT2||OT3||OT4||OT5||OT6||OT7||OT8||OT9||Jan14||Feb14||Mar14||Apr14|[May14||Jun14||Jul14||Aug14||Sep14||Oct14||Nov14||Dec14||Jan15||Feb15||Mar15||Apr15||May15||Jun15||Jul15|
|Aug15||Sep15||Oct15||NovDec15||Jan16||Feb16||Mar10||Apr16|

Seda

mhHlqUx.png

Dimension W: May 14
Samurai Champloo: June 25
Parasyte -the maxim-: September 24
Dragon Ball Z Kai: November 26, 2016 (not including Buu Arc), January 27, 2018 (including Buu Arc)
Hunter x Hunter: February 9, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 68 - The Monster Goes into Motion... Strike of the Super Namekian!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 69 - I Am Your Brother! The Monster With Goku's Energy!
12:30 - Dimension W - 11 - The Lost Genesis
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 4 - Hope × and × Ambition
1:30 - Samurai Champloo - 19 - Unholy Union
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 111 - Shattered Promise
2:30 - One Piece - 345 - A Bunch of Animals? Perona's Wonder Garden!
3:00 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 4 - Tangled Hair

Later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That XIV Psycho Ball has the energy to destroy Earth 10 times!

Cell is a Galaga bug, haha

Dance party at 10x the end of the world! Or is that just World's End Dance Hall?

I'm all about Cell popping up in Galaga, lol. And you thought the ships that stole one of your lives were bad...!
Cell looks...oddly adorable as a sprite.

Cellulary adorbs! Maybe it's a Pokemon reflex, lol. His unique sound would totally be the footstep creak.

SAB, what with Samurai Champloo being on the block and Ryuma on One Piece, you think we could get a Sketch that looks like a japanese painting? That be pretty fucking badass imo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SAB, what with Samurai Champloo being on the block and Ryuma on One Piece, you think we could get a Sketch that looks like a japanese painting? That be pretty fucking badass imo.
Not with modern block times! ;-) I'll try to keep it in mind for next weeks. Think the last time I tried such was back during the Ukiyo-e Champloo episode.

There's a direct correlation between my lack of usual shitposting and how close I am to the end of the semester. I'll come back with a revengenace after I graduate.

Korigama

For as much of a "wut" moment the end of that Dimension W episode was (even with bits of dialogue such as Lowai's talk of "next time" and KK wondering why he'd punch his own head off), Kyouma knocking the shit out of KK with that megaton punch after all of his yakking was so, SO satisfying.

Moaradin

I don't hate DW as much as you guys, but it still doesn't do that much for me. Hopefully it gets a good replacement.

DW is very inoffensive. I'm not really following the plot or characters at all but it's fun watching moment to moment.

Naruto had the best moment of the night.
Best show.

Korigama

I actually like DW, even though its potential was massively wasted by condensing it so ridiculously. Whatever they pick next, I hope it's something not limited to one season's worth of episodes.

...Watch us get Blood Blockade Battlefront next, which is just as short.

Line_HTX

Concrete Revolutio would be a better alternative than Bitch Bastard Battlefront.

I only wish ConRevo was localized though... Arguably one of the most compelling hero stories I've ever witnessed...

T_T

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish "FOSFOSFOSter's home for imaginary laughs/fiends" was used.

Man, please announce Dimension W's replacement next week & let it be better......or at least interesting....

Line_HTX

I wish "FOSFOSFOSter's home for imaginary laughs/fiends" was used.

Man, please announce Dimension W's replacement next week & let it be better......or at least interesting....

The TV captions spell out FasFasFas, but it sounds like FosFosFos, lol

It has been interesting, though I wish it were more than what I liked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The thing about DW is that I feel like if it took its time & didn't aim for Final Act pacing/exposition, then maybe it would've been a whole lot better, but it went from "meh, this is just bland" to "HOLY CRAP I CAN'T INTAKE ALL THIS INFORMATION SLOW DOWN, WAIT WHAT IS THIS TWIST?!"

Hearing this is suppose to cover a whopping 80 chapters in a mere TWELVE episodes (that's almost 7 chapters an episode) seems to basically why this has huge pacing problems, especially now.

Korigama

I liked BBB as well, though I still haven't gotten around to the final episode (took too long for them to get around to actually making and airing it, so I moved on to other shows). It takes a lot to annoy me or otherwise test my patience with anime it seems, but SAO, the final episodes of Akame ga Kill, the epilogue for Parasyte, and all of GXP but one episode certainly found a way among Toonami's offerings (not all that wild about Gurren Lagann's ending, either).

Oh, and of course Shippuden, which I just don't bother with.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
On a block with Slowpuden, I can't hate on a show moving fast, even if it's unreasonably, oddly so. I'm much happier with that extreme rather than "Guuureeeen, Guuureeeen, Guuureeennnnn?" Week after Week after Week.

Anime is visual entertainment first and foremost, and Dimension W serves that. It's also no where near as frustrating as the stupidity of AGK. It's not even annoying me as much as the pity-party that parts of Casshern Sins felt like after a time.

• I don't feel like Loo's "death" was an unfair bait-and-switch.
  • I don't feel like the lake case was so worthless that I didn't expect what we learned from it to come back up.
  • I don't think it's hard to understand Kiyoma's reluctance to accept the fact that he's not getting his friend back.
  • I don't even really hate Kiyoma and Mira's relationship, as she understands why he's mad / constantly fuming at her existence, and he's coming to terms with how it's wrong, and how it's justified.
  • Unlike Bleach, I don't even really mind the fact it's introduced a bunch of characters, and spent time on ones I didn't expect for it to.

Maybe it's because I was a fan or series like Eatman 98, or any random time I pick up a Lupin the 3rd series?

These stories often move at weird clips, and play like they expect the watcher to take the work as a supplement to a manga or previous series they already observed. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying what I'm seeing.

Heck, even Mira's sometimes scrawny-body fanservice kinda feels nice. All the weird of Dimension W at least isn't focused on the same Shonen "big boobs, wunderkind barely-teen, creepy evil, useless underling, eternally unrequited love" stuff that so many other Toonami-flavor shows exhibit.

Geeze, with the loss of Bebop, GITS, and even FMA to the block, it's so hard finding heroic (and probably even villainous) characters that aren't highschool / early college age.

Champloo helps with this, but as cute as Fuu is, she does lower our general protagonist age even lower (and even our male leads are younger than anyone you'd see in a GITS).

So yeah, woOt for variety, and for finding it in a show that isn't over a decade old.

I might finally be employed this summer. My buddy is the one that reccomended me for the job I'm getting interviewed for this Thursday. Him and the manager are family friends.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The thing that bugs me is that I don't WANT to dislike Dimension W, that it had a decent plot & set-up, not to mention setting, but it just fails to deliver. Maybe if I check the manga out, I'll like it more since it sees to take its time with giving you details about the world & plot.

I'm totally fine with Kyoma/Mira's relationship, & I don't mind the twist that Mira's body was originally meant for Kyoma's wife. I was groaning that "oh, she's still alive, just now as Mira", but the fact someone else got his wife's body actually is alright and more plausible since, hey, someone would make use of it & they wouldn't want such a piece of technology to go to waste, and having to see a walking reminder of the fact his wife didn't get the body but someone else is a perfectly good motivator for Kyoma's dislike towards Mira. I think the issue is, again, the pacing making it hard to let us get to know them, save for one or two episodes (episode 3 is perhaps the closest we got to just getting to know them in everyday life).

Honestly, it wasn't until we got on Easter Island where I started feeling emotion towards the show....and sadly, it's more "holy crap, slow down, take your time!"

Edit: Ya know, while I'm at it, why are these mole digger kids still hanging around? They did one thing with the robot, but after that, they've just followed our heroes around, doing nothing & if anything are more of an annoyance because Mira had to save them when the floor dropped underneath them.

If anything, I feel like this is more a bad adaptation than a bad anime, but not having read the manga, I don't know how much this statement can hold truth.

Raxus

Dozed off last night. Need to catch up on One Piece and Naruto.

Something something Home.

Alright caught up with Naruto I am guessing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Pretty interesting night.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Taking a brief trip into the horror/suspense genre today. A monster is making people disappear, and right now only the newly reformed Piccolo can take him on. I still think TFS had the right idea to have Nail & Kami live in Piccolo's head, would have provided more character.

Dimension W:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah I have multiple bodies twist.
The pacing and the lack of ability to care about the characters really doesn't help this show. The animation isn't even that spectacular to make it worth watching.

Hunter x Hunter:
The Hunter Exam truly begins with 405 contestants, well 404 thanks to "flower petal arms". We see some recurring characters, some that won't matter, and two that are really important. Killua and Hisoka (though the opening kind of spoiled they would be important). Hisoka's voice is awesome, and Killua's is pretty good. To the people thinking the Hunter Exam has been easy, this is where it starts to ramp up.

Samurai Champloo:
Amusing episode. Let's learn to read with the toughest teacher! READ A MOTHERFUCKIN' SCROLL!

Shippuden:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz IT WAS ME ALL ALONG NARUTO!

One Piece:
We get a better look at the Samurai Ryuma, and his similar behavior to Brook. Hmmmm.
Also Luffy's group beats up more zombies, but Sanji disappears. Uh oh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nail and Kami only being fleeting memories makes the sacrifice all the more important. Well Kami especially as Nail had nothing to lose. He's willing to lose himself to someone he once considered evil in order to stop Cell. He would not have done the same thing if it was just the Androids.

bigkrev

We now live in a post Killua and Hisoka world, and there is a good chance that a show worth watching will be in the 12:30 slot soon

What a time to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom