• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transparent |OT| Be Seen. Amazon's Emmy Award Winning series - S4 available now

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the first 4 episodes and I just can't get into this show. I don't know what it is but it just isn't 'clicking' with me.

Just finished it up. Wasn't until episode six or so that the show really started to hook me. I'm not sure how I feel about it overall. Can't say the beginning of the season was all that great and some of the stuff in the finale felt unnecessary.
I had no idea, but I'm not surprised, there weren't any Trans television writers. Glad we've changed that:

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/television/2014/12/04/transparent-creator-shows-first-trans-writer
That explains some things. As a young trans person I can't really connect with the show all that much, and I chalked it up to it being aimed at older trans women.

Edit: Should have done some more research, since there were trans people that worked on the show.

Memles

Oh ok. Damn. That's a pretty early announcement for a third season lol..

They did it now so that they would enter into the news cycle during the final days of Emmy voting.

(I mean, they were probably gonna do it anyway, and Soloway's deal has probably been in place for a little while, but that explains the timing.)

ivysaur12

Banned
I feel very hesitant to watch this show. Is the transgender character played by a transgender woman?

No. A lot of the show is flashbacks before Maura (the main character) was out as trans, dealing with her family life when she was living as a man. I get why, in this instance, a cis actor played this character.

But Jeffrey Tambor is fantastic.

No. A lot of the show is flashbacks before Maura (the main character) was out as trans, dealing with her family life when she was living as a man. I get why, in this instance, a cis actor played this character.

But Jeffrey Tambor is fantastic.

Ah. Yeah. I'm sure it's fine, but I just can't watch it then.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
e5 hasn't even started yet and already two sex scenes, which I have no issues with, but I feel the pretentiousness rising far above the danger point. I think I'll pass

Bladenic

Just rewatched S1. Fantastic except I'm still not on board with what happened In episode 9 as it puts the family in a pretty terrible light. Also did Ed die cuz of them? It shows him walking out, or was that as like him escaping or what?

Also do we know if Kathryn Hahn is returning for S2? She's amazing.

jb1234

I admit that I'm looking forward to hate-watching another season of this show.

(Tambor is terrific but man, Maura's children are unbearable shits.)

Croc

Banned
I enjoyed season 1 for the most part, so I'm looking forward to season 2 anyways. But man I'm so excited to see Hari Nef in this. Not really sure how much of a part she plays in it so I'm still tempering my expectations tho.

I updated the thread title since S2 is out now. If anyone would like to make a new thread, please do and let me know so I can lock this one. Otherwise, we can just stay in this one.

EthanC

Banned
Was hooked episode one of season one. His kids being shitheads is what I liked. They're all interesting shitheads. Can't wait to watch season 2.

JonnyKong

Love this show, so glad it's back. I just wish it was longer! Ten, half hour episodes isn't enough.

I think I love it so much because it's not afraid to show how shit life is via the selfishness and loneliness of humans, which is exactly why I loved Six Feet Under.

I've only watched two Eps so far of season two. I'm trying really hard not to binge watch them so it lasts longer.

EthanC

Banned
Wow, the opening long, fixed shot and the closing tracking shot. Really great stuff.

Yeah that end shot sure was something. Only thing I dislike about this show is that it's treated like a comedy in show-length (30 minute episodes), but I feel like it would be better with 60 minute episodes like a drama. I just want more.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The end credits for episode one said that
Bradley Whitford
appeared. Umm, when? I didn't notice that at all.

These characters certainly didn't forget how to be terribly flawed and often awful self-centered jerks in the intervening months.

Edit: Oh man, Tambor in the opening scene to episode three. Hilarious.

Croc

Banned
Is this show really classified as a comedy? I've never once thought that way of this.
lol, my husband and I were talking about this earlier too. We were both saying that it's one of the heaviest dramas that we watch, period. There's like little teensy tiny bits of humor in there but it's typically more of a black comedy feel anyways.

Ogni-XR21

3 episodes into S2 and I'm just not feeling it (yet?). Somehow all the drama seems manufactured. It's like "here is the setup for whatever is about to go wrong/tick people off" and later that episode it will eventually happen.

Taking a break for now and will watch more the next few days, but for now season 2 is not scratching that itch that s1 did...

Sane_Man

I can barely remember season 1. Does anyone know if there's a recap somewhere? I'd watch it again but my plate is pretty much full constantly with TV as it is.

Croc

Banned
I just finished this season. I thought it was really great. One of my biggest complaints is that I really wish they would have explored the
Berlin
story a bit more. I get that its purpose was to show
Rose's history with gender and imply that Rose totally accepted Maura, but we don't actually get any pay off of that moment in the show.
And it really seems like that is what that entire subplot is leading up to throughout the whole season for the finale.

I just hate Amazon for waiting until January for no fucking reason before releasing this in Germany :-/ Made me get Amazon Prime a couple a days ago because I thought this would be perfect to watch for my Christmas travel plans... oh well.

Sadsic

Binge watched the whole second season tonight.
Rose's story is so fucking powerful holy shit. Everything about it was beautiful to me

Ogni-XR21

I just hate Amazon for waiting until January for no fucking reason before releasing this in Germany :-/ Made me get Amazon Prime a couple a days ago because I thought this would be perfect to watch for my Christmas travel plans... oh well.

I'm watching it on German Amazon. You just have to go with the OV/OmU version until the German dub is released in January.

I'm watching it on German Amazon. You just have to go with the OV/OmU version until the German dub is released in January.

That's what I wanted to watch - screw the German dub. But the app just doesn't show anything except the 1st season...?

Edit: Amazon ist just making it hard to find. I kept checking the 1st season Icon, but the second season is not showing in there. So I had to search for "Transparent season 2" and then it showed... Thanks a lot, you saved my Christmas! Together with the new option to download stuff in the app this is gonna be the best trip home ever ;-)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Weird season overall. That last thing with Josh in the finale didn't ring true to me at all. For that matter, not sure at all about Sarah's finale stuff either. I think much like the first season, it's the Moira-centric things that work best and are least frustrating.

Melora Hardin had so many looks this season that would make amazing reaction gifs for when posters say stupid shit.

I just finished this season. I thought it was really great. One of my biggest complaints is that I really wish they would have explored the
Berlin
story a bit more. I get that its purpose was to show
Rose's history with gender and imply that Rose totally accepted Maura, but we don't actually get any pay off of that moment in the show.
And it really seems like that is what that entire subplot is leading up to throughout the whole season for the finale.
I think that throughline got deflated and damaged by being so closely juxtaposed with Ali's vague pseudo-intellectual musings while desperately fumbling for a direction of study. I don't think it helps that her whole character along with her function in the show is kind of a mess.

Croc

Banned
I think that throughline got deflated and damaged by being so closely juxtaposed with Ali's vague pseudo-intellectual musings while desperately fumbling for a direction of study. I don't think it helps that her whole character along with her function in the show is kind of a mess.

Yeah, I actually totally forgot about that until you mentioned it. I didn't really know what was trying to be done with it. It seems that whole "feeling" she kept getting about the family having some rift was totally from nowhere. And then she kept talking about it to that professor as if it could be some big academic project despite her knowing literally nothing about what it was. Hell, it could have just been that people didn't get along and that was it.

And then add onto that there was no more said about that storyline in relation to Ali. It just kinda tied that whole storyline up in all of its forms with that final scene that had no words, and it didn't really actually conclude any of the individual storylines about it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great first episode. I'm so glad Sarah ditched that douchey woman she was (going to get officially) married to.

Also, was that Miranda Sings performing at the wedding reception?

Also also, what was up with that Berlin 1933 flashback?

soco

finished season 2 yesterday and loved it. enjoyed the first, but this was even better. glad it's coming back for another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom