• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transparent |OT| Be Seen. Amazon's Emmy Award Winning series - S4 available now

Status
Not open for further replies.

soco

One of my biggest complaints is that I really wish they would have explored the
Berlin
story a bit more. I get that its purpose was to show
Rose's history with gender and imply that Rose totally accepted Maura, but we don't actually get any pay off of that moment in the show.
And it really seems like that is what that entire subplot is leading up to throughout the whole season for the finale.

I thought the Berlin story was made up by Ali as she was trying to get some meaning and come up with something to write for her essay.

Croc

Banned
I thought the Berlin story was made up by Ali as she was trying to get some meaning and come up with something to write for her essay.
idk, I assumed it was real considering the whole thing traces the history of that ring that is again shown in the last scene when Rose sees it and reaches for it

If it was all made up then that flew waaay over my head lol

Plus we don't actually hear what Ali wrote about do we? I feel like if that was the point of it there would have been some indication that she actually did write about it rather than just thought about it.

Rewatched the first episode of season one with my SO, to see if they would like it. They took issue with the biphobia/erasure and gratuitous nudity which applies only to the women. Also they are less forgiving of cis people playing trans characters. So they probably aren't going to watch the rest. >_> I don't blame them and I need to reconsider how much I compromise with media.

JonnyKong

24! Jesus Christ I've been trying for so long to remember where I recognise Leslie from. She was the president for a couple of seasons.

JonnyKong

I really didn't like Josh in season one, but he's somehow become my favourite character in S2.

Sarah is a very interesting and complex character that's for sure, I can never work her out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I felt season 2 was weaker overall. Didn't have as many standout moments but I'm happy they addressed the transgenderism vs classical feminism conflict at some point. Was wondering when that would show up.

I enjoyed seeing Maura struggle with the boundaries of her new environment while trying to sustain the traditions she was raised in.

I had no idea what was going on with the Josh sideplot,
but I'm sad to see Raquel go. Hope she makes a comeback in Season 3.

Ditto for Ali. I
was hoping she'd get her act together but she's still kind of flaffing about. There was too much lesbian navalgazing and not enough development for her and Syd (except towards the end).

Sarah was... weird. It's interesting seeing a character like this in fiction but she didn't actually advance that far.
It seems like she just got high a lot, took up BDSM, and now she's going to reconcile with Len?

Season 2, except for Maura, felt like an extended latter half of Season 1. I liked seeing Tammy
flip her shit though. Show needs more Tammy.

I never got the outcry over a cis guy playing a transitioning transgender woman. Isn't the point that it's about the character transitioning? If the character was fully transitioned, then I would understand people being upset about not having an actual trans actress play the part, but at the beginning of the show, the character is portrayed, at least visually, as being cis male.

Croc

Banned
I never got the outcry over a cis guy playing a transitioning transgender woman. Isn't the point that it's about the character transitioning? If the character was fully transitioned, then I would understand people being upset about not having an actual trans actress play the part, but at the beginning of the show, the character is portrayed, at least visually, as being cis male.

The thing is that even if a person hasn't transitioned, they're still trans. So even if at the beginning Maura appears for all intents and purposes a cis male to everyone else, she is still the same person inside whether she's transitioned or not and goes through a lot of pain having to play being a cis male when in reality she's not. That's why a lot of trans people want to be given first opportunity to play these parts themselves; because it's not just as simple as "putting a man in a dress." You have to think about it like...a trans woman is not a man. So why would it make sense to have a man playing the part of a woman (if the role is being cast to be totally serious). A lot of the issue comes with people having the mentality of trans women just being men dressed up in women's clothes, so having cis dudes do exactly that to play the part of a trans woman seems totally okay.

( Note: I'm not trans, I've just talked with a few of my trans friends about this. Honestly at first I didn't really understand it either, but it makes a lot of sense to me now).

TheFixer

Neo Member
The thing is that even if a person hasn't transitioned, they're still trans. So even if at the beginning Maura appears for all intents and purposes a cis male to everyone else, she is still the same person inside whether she's transitioned or not and goes through a lot of pain having to play being a cis male when in reality she's not. That's why a lot of trans people want to be given first opportunity to play these parts themselves; because it's not just as simple as "putting a man in a dress." You have to think about it like...a trans woman is not a man. So why would it make sense to have a man playing the part of a woman (if the role is being cast to be totally serious). A lot of the issue comes with people having the mentality of trans women just being men dressed up in women's clothes, so having cis dudes do exactly that to play the part of a trans woman seems totally okay.

( Note: I'm not trans, I've just talked with a few of my trans friends about this. Honestly at first I didn't really understand it either, but it makes a lot of sense to me now).
Would the same apply to a straight male actor playing a gay male actor? Or literally every actor ever for playing any role, given that the craft of acting is predicated entirely on people vicariously capturing the state of being and experiences of other human beings? If we condemned all actors for thrusting themselves into roles that they may not have direct experience with, we'd effectively be doing away with the thespian arts wholesale. Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater on this one.

There lots of problems ... but LONG STORY SHORT is this :

If they would not cast trans actors or trans actress for trans roles ... WHEN they will cast them ?
Would be MUCH better if trans actresses were being cast for cis woman roles

Also, reinforces the fact that you are casting a man for a woman's role... and society sees most trans woman as man and the casting kinda reinforces the shit transphobia.

IDEAL to less ideal : Trans woman -> Cis Woman -> cis man

I am not sure if a trans man would be worst or better than a cis woman

Before we get in a tizzy about plexiglass ceilings, do we have any sense of how many pre-op trans women auditioned for the part? Specifically, 70 year old pre-op trans women? Specifically, talented 70-year old pre-op trans women?

Jeffrey Tambor was picked for the role because he's an immensely talented actor who does the role great justice through thoughtful, stirring, and authentic performance. Making this into a strawman battle against transphobia is kind of unfathomably misguided to me.

Platy

There lots of problems ... but LONG STORY SHORT is this :

If they would not cast trans actors or trans actress for trans roles ... WHEN they will cast them ?
Would be MUCH better if trans actresses were being cast for cis woman roles

Also, reinforces the fact that you are casting a man for a woman's role... and society sees most trans woman as man and the casting kinda reinforces the shit transphobia.
IDEAL to less ideal : Trans woman -> Cis Woman -> cis man
(I am not sure if a trans man would be worst or better than a cis woman)

Haly

They need Tambor's star power for this. The subject matter is niche enough, just look at the number of pages for this thread compared to superhero bullcrap. I think they've more than made up for this one indulgence with the rest of the casting and the fact that this is even being funded at all.

Plus, I think many of the dramatic scenes work better with someone who appears obviously male as Tambor trying to affect femininity than they would've had they casted a masculine looking actress.

Haly

Is Ali just full of shit? Her decision to go to graduate school seems so phony.

She is. That's what I'm getting.

I thought she'd cleanse herself of shit after Season 1 but nope. She's still a total fuckup.

jb1234

She is. That's what I'm getting.

I thought she'd cleanse herself of shit after Season 1 but nope. She's still a total fuckup.

I think if anything, the siblings are even more unbearable here than they were in season 1. That's a true feat.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finished the season yesterday. Pretty decent, but nowhere near as impactful and resonant as the first season. I didn't like it near as much.

I would love for the show to actually be about Maura (aka the trans parent), instead of her being just another member of the Pfefferman ensemble. I honestly don't care as much about Josh, Ali, or Sarah (and their constant stream of fuck ups and break ups) and I was disappointed that Maura took even more of a backseat this season than she did last year.

One of the things that bugs me about this show (as well as similar shows like Girls) is that it's almost completely aimless. Storylines just kind of pop up and then dissipate just as quickly and I don't find that to be as satisfying a thing in the long run.

They took issue with the biphobia/erasure

It's been a while since I watched the first season, but I don't remember any of that. Where was it specifically?

24! Jesus Christ I've been trying for so long to remember where I recognise Leslie from. She was the president for a couple of seasons.

I recognized her as one of the therapists in Awake.

Archurro

Just rushed through season 1 the past few days and just got up to episode 3.

Holy shit, why didn't anyone tell me how good this show was? Easily might have been my favorite show last year, or at least in the top 3. Shit, my emotions are seriously just everywhere right now.

Just watched the entire series in like 10 hours straight.

Easily the best show I've ever seen. Who knew 30 minutes is the perfect length for a drama episode.

It's Six Feet Under without all the Alan Ball Plot Nonsense stripped out. The most acute, gorgeous depiction of 21st Century Humanity that's ever been filmed.

JonnyKong

Season 3 is available right now (in the UK at least).

Just started watching episode 1.

Feels so good to hear the opening theme again!

Just watched the entire series in like 10 hours straight.

Easily the best show I've ever seen. Who knew 30 minutes is the perfect length for a drama episode.

It's Six Feet Under without all the Alan Ball Plot Nonsense stripped out. The most acute, gorgeous depiction of 21st Century Humanity that's ever been filmed.

It's so weird, very few people I know talk about this show but I genuinely believe it's one of the best tv series of all time. maybe prime, plus the subject matter are just too much of a barrier for mass appeal in every demographic.

Empty

omg i did not realize this show was back so soon. i assumed december!!!

It's so weird, very few people I know talk about this show but I genuinely believe it's one of the best tv series of all time. maybe prime, plus the subject matter are just too much of a barrier for mass appeal in every demographic.

i get annoyed about this. i can convince no-one i know to watch this show, they all go fucking gaga for every flavour of the month netflix show too :/

i think it's a combination of amazon prime (like resident evil 4 being exclusive to the gamecube) and a suspicion that it's praised for being IMPORTANT rather than good like a particular dry oscar season biopic. obviously complete nonsense.

Ogni-XR21

I don't have prime and could only watch in the past because I got 30 day trials both times just when the seasons released. I really liked season 1 but 2 was kind of a mess imo. It had some really good stuff, but some awaful lows too. Right now I don't really have a big urge to watch S3, I'll catch up once I get another trial period for prime.

I would love some impressions though, from the bit that was posted here it sounded like it might be a bit more focused this time.

Binge watched it yesterday, better than S2, which sometimes felt like a parody of S1, but I still hate a lot of the characters. At least Ali isn't so straight up mercurial and obnoxious anymore.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, came in here thinking I'd missed out on five pages only to find out it's the same OT as the previous seasons and S3 is only the last few posts.

Binged it over yesterday and today. I'm really baffled by
Nacho living in the walls of the house for 30 years. Fucking how? Turtles have a slow metabolism but still need food and water.

Empty

six episodes in.

i think it's got quite a lot going on but it's fantastic to spend time in its world. a bit too much formal gimmickery in this season & i thought the first episode was going to be a season long arc but instead feels a bit like trying to respond to critiques about privilege but only half-heartedly, maybe it ties back in??. rabbi raquel is the greatest. josh is the absolute worst.

We binged the whole thing on Saturday and Sunday. Loved it, as expected, and thought it was a clear improvement over Season 2.

I wish the stuff with the Help Line kept going, it was odd that it became such a big deal and is where we begin the season, and then it just goes away

Archurro

Four episodes on. Plot lines with Maura are still top notch this season, but Jesus Christ is everyone just the fucking worst. Sarah is such a mess it's comical how cartoonish she is now. Ali is still awful. Josh has is boring. And Shelly is cartoonishly selfish and oblivious. If it wasn't for the first episode(probably the best in the series so far), I wouldn't be hate watching.

When did this show turn into a cringe comedy?

Also,
Rita's death
is fucking horribly done. Barely any telegraphing, and the sequence is just piss poor compared to many other moments in the show.

Bladenic

This show is so depressing. How cheesy is it that I teared up when
they found Nacho the turtle?

Also Kathryn Hahn is incredible. So happy Rabbi Raquel was upgraded to main cast, love her. The only unequivocally likable character.

Ferd2

Neo Member
Did no one find the When the Battle is Over song/moment really bittersweet? Feels.

I wonder how Maura forgot about Gittel/"Uncle Gershon"? I guess she was pretty young and there was some major therapy in there it seems to make him into the "man" we see Shelly fall in love with. Also Shelly's story is super depressing.

Did no one find the When the Battle is Over song/moment really bittersweet? Feels.

I wonder how Maura forgot about Gittel/"Uncle Gershon"? I guess she was pretty young and there was some major therapy in there it seems to make him into the "man" we see Shelly fall in love with. Also Shelly's story is super depressing.

I like the dual casting they use for some of the regular cast. I wonder if they'll use Jeffrey Tambor for any future flashback scenes like they did with Gaby Hoffmann and Bradley Whitford. I'm not really plugged into the whole transgender thing, but I really like the acting from the cast, and I always had a deep respect for Jill Soloway during her Six Feet Under days. I wonder how many seasons they're aiming for this show.

Bladenic

I finished the season last week and I was wondering if anyone else thought it was weird that
Maura hooks up with a guy at the club. Unless I missed something, Maura is into women. It was just strange to me that she just nonchalantly hooked up with a guy.

Mike M

Nick N
I finished the season last week and I was wondering if anyone else thought it was weird that
Maura hooks up with a guy at the club. Unless I missed something, Maura is into women. It was just strange to me that she just nonchalantly hooked up with a guy.

As she said near the end of the finale, she doesn't know who or what she wants anymore. That scene was just reflective of that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom