• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

Cerium

There is still no word of a Switch version of MVC:I

ebMd1jF.png

It must be said that Capcom had an amazing opportunity with the Switch and they blew it.

Flashback:

I was told they have hit 1080p/60 on all versions, but they're still in the optimization process. No answers on whether Pro/Scorpio will look better or different. Kind of laughed off a Switch version but said there's nothing to announce at this time (don't get any hopes up, it seemed pretty clearly to be a no.) The producer told me the number one thing they want to avoid is another Moridoom scenario where the game stagnates because of issues they didn't foresee but players found immediately.

Platy

In the UK, Nintendo's weakest territory.

Now I want to see comparison on other places like USA and Japan

D_prOdigy

Probably throw it on Switch in 2019. Can't be too hasty. A joined-up thinking company like Capcom needs to test the waters.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
When keeping it real goes wrong.

Probably why they are afraid to release MHXX of Switch in the west... It could performed reasonably well compared to MHW.

Which would be a bad look for them since they decided to skip Switch with the new title.

shockednotthatshocked.gif

If anything I'm glad that they couldn't get away again with such a staggering display of half-assery in the case of MVCI.

Scrawnton

Well, I think a lot more people would have bought USF2 at half the price. Me included. Twice as many people? Maybe.
At $20 I would've been all over this. Heck, even at $30 with the prime discount I would heavily considered it. At $40 it wasn't even on my radar.

jsnepo

That's bad. For some reason, the visual aesthetics of MvCI reminds me of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Oregano

More like the Internet eviscerated it, in ways it didn't for USF2

Are you for real?

USF2 was blasted for being a premium port of a ten year old XBL game that was a port of a 25 year old SNES game with the added bonus of having the worst motion controls ever. Also it was emblematic of Capcom's disdain for the Switch.

USF2 didn't have it easy at all.

Mvc:I laughed back then when asked about the possibility of a Switch version.

I don't like to laugh about failures but let me take a good one now. HA HA HA

I feel like Capcom is in this awkward position where they don't have the capital to invest in a top-tier game to make it a huge success, so they keep putting out half-assed shit, which in turn causes lower sales, so they can't invest a lot of capital in their next game to make it good/polished/feature-complete... rinse and repeat. It's a catch-22.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
More like the Internet eviscerated it, in ways it didn't for USF2
Eh... People online jumped on everyone who even thought about picking up USF2 because of the price. The people who played it liked it since USF2 is a good game regardless... But there was a lot of hate about the game even existing as a obvious cash grab.

Capcom will take the wrong message from this, with regards to both Switch support and the MvC series.

This company can stay losing, as much as it pains me to say

Kouriozan

That a huge feat, a super old enhanced game on a new console outselling a shiny new one on a big userbase.
Capcom outdid themselves.

Jawmuncher

Are you for real?

USF2 was blasted for being a premium port of a ten year old XBL game that was a port of a 25 year old SNES game with the added bonus of having the worst motion controls ever. Also it was emblematic of Capcom's disdain for the Switch.

USF2 didn't have it easy at all.

It was really just complaints about the price. Since we all know what SF2 plays like. Even I bought it after comparing about the price. It came out at a good time and was an easier buy in terms of price over Arms which was the only other big game out around then.

Compared to MVC:I and it’s being memed on and DBZF dunking it when it got revealed. USFII might’ve not had it easy but it definitely had it easier than that

I feel like Capcom is in this awkward position where they don't have the capital to invest in a top-tier game to make it a huge success, so they keep putting out half-assed shit, which in turn causes lower sales, so they can't invest a lot of capital in their next game to make it good/polished/feature-complete... rinse and repeat. It's a catch-22.

And then when it seems like they do put some effort in, they make a monster hunter and skip the only dedicated handheld platform in the market. Who knows, it might work out , but would anyone be surprised (outside ofcapcom) if that bites them in the arse too?

Lulubop

Ok?I didn't say USF2 didn't receive any criticism but let's not pretend it was anywhere near the backlash MvCI received. USF2 also had a much shorter marketing cycle, Marvel was getting shitted on for months. Of course it was mostly deserved, but this game didn't have a chance.

Ok?I didn't say USF2 didn't receive any criticism but let's not pretend it was anywhere near the backlash MvCI received. USF2 also had a much shorter marketing cycle, Marvel was getting shitted on for months. Of course it was mostly deserved, but this game didn't have a chance.

Well yes, it's literally a different flavor of how SFV panned out. Only the hardcore fighting game community will look into it and sustain it while the general market looks away.

Z..

They're both shitty purchases but at least MvC:I seems to offer some variety for the series.

USF2 is just a lesser version of SF2. Hyper Street Fighter 2 was better and more complete than USF2 and released 14 years ago. The fact that Anniversary is so affordable and BC compatible on the 360 seals the coffin lid on USF2 for me forever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This feels so wrong given how great and complete of a package MvC:I turned out to be. It's all the progress we've wanted from Capcom as a company, marred by a few bad faces (that got fixed, but who knows that when you have a shit PR department?) and recycled assets.

Have a shit PR department, brehs. Fail to communicate what's in your title until you learn about extra modes and features in leaked copies brehs

This is embarrassing. I have no idea who the fuck is buying USFII, not then, not now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well yes, it's literally a different flavor of how SFV panned out. Only the hardcore fighting game community will look into it and sustain it while the general market looks away.

Casuals turned up in some respect for SFV. It underperformed but not catistrophically. This is looking like a genuine bomb.

Top Bottom