• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

I still believe they wait for the switches VC service, so they can sell the games of the collection for 5$ a piece. That would also explain why they did not announce a switch version of the upcoming SF collection.something

I'm sorry, but I have to home in on this, since I've seen it repeated so many times by friends and random commenters around the web, and it ruffles my feathers to no end.

The original Mega Man Legacy Collection appeared on 3DS, which at the time of the collection's release already had MM1-6 available on its eShop. Prior to the reveal of the 3DS version, I remember hearing a bunch of people saying that the reason Capcom chose not to bring the collection to any Nintendo platform was because they'd rather sell the games individually. Clearly, that wasn't the case.

Regarding Legacy Collection 2, assuming that Capcom wants to split the games up on Switch, only MM7 would fall under the Virtual Console banner. MM8 is a PS1 game, while MM9 and 10 are last-gen digital titles that appeared on Wii, PS3, and 360. It would make just as much sense to sell 9 and 10 separately on Switch as it would to sell them separately on PS4 and XB1. And that would still leave MM8 out in the cold.

Then there's the Disney Afternoon Collection, which contains six Disney-licensed NES games. The reason the Disney Collection was so desired, the reason these games have never been re-released in any other format since the 8-bit days, is because they are licensed titles that would require extra, possibly prohibitive steps to get on something like Wii's Virtual Console. Had they actually appeared on Wii, I imagine they'd have a licensing fee tacked on, and once the license expired, they would have been pulled from the service like so many other VC games. We don't know the exact stipulations that have allowed these games to resurface on this recent collection, but I wouldn't be surprised if one such mandate is that they can ONLY appear as part of said collection and not as chopped-up, single-serving downloads.

And the biggest sticking point of all: Capcom repackages old shit all the time on every platform imaginable, with no signs of slowing down. Separate VC and collection releases on the same console would just be additional revenue streams. Why wouldn't they welcome that?

Oregano

There would literally be absolutely no harm in announcing that a Switch version is at least in the works, and there is more harm to just not saying it altogether.

Wolfenstein II is a game that they announced before it even came out on other platforms. It's not like they are announcing a late port after it's out elsewhere.

Exactly. Usually the defence is:

1) You don't announce it before your previous game is out.
2) You don't announce it before it's out on the other platforms

Bethesda did both of those and it hasn't hurt at all, if anything it's helped them.

Fiendcode

Capcom's entire first year output on PS4 and XB1 amounted to ports of that contracted XBLA Strider metroidvania and the Microsoft moneyhatted Dead Rising 3, nothing actually from Japan even. They're just sort of late to the party these days and I wouldn't be surprised if their Switch efforts in 2018 took a dramatic surge forward similar to PS4/XB1 in 2015.

flohen95

Capcom's entire first year output on PS4 and XB1 amounted to ports of that contracted XBLA Strider metroidvania and the Microsoft moneyhatted Dead Rising 3, nothing actually from Japan even. They're just sort of late to the party these days and I wouldn't be surprised if their Switch efforts in 2018 took a dramatic surge forward similar to PS4/XB1 in 2015.

Yes, but unlike then they have 3 extremely low risk, low effort ports and collections coming during the Switch's first calendar year, which all would fit the platform well (Okami being a Zelda-like previously also released on the Wii, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 being, well, Mega Man, and Disney Afternoon Collection being a collection of NES ROMs). Yet, they didn't feel it worth the (likely) miniscule effort to put those on the new Nintendo system. That's what's baffling, and that's why Capcom gets so much shit. Barely anyone was expecting Capcom to come in guns blazing (Although MH World being on everything but a Nintendo system is also a baffling decision considering the franchises past).

seady

I have strong feeling the 3 games u mentioned (Megaman Okami Disney) will sell more on the Switch than the other consoles if they release them as the other consoles at the same time. Those games are perfect fit to the Nintendo crowds.

Yes, but unlike then they have 3 extremely low risk, low effort ports and collections coming during the Switch's first calendar year, which all would fit the platform well (Okami being a Zelda-like previously also released on the Wii, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 being, well, Mega Man, and Disney Afternoon Collection being a collection of NES ROMs). Yet, they didn't feel it worth the (likely) miniscule effort to put those on the new Nintendo system. That's what's baffling, and that's why Capcom gets so much shit. Barely anyone was expecting Capcom to come in guns blazing (Although MH World being on everything but a Nintendo system is also a baffling decision considering the franchises past).

goldenpp72

There are already a dozen or more ports they should have been cooking up before the thing released. Okami, resident evil 0, remake, code veronica, 4,5 and 6, Dead Rising 1 and 2, Dragons dogma, Monster hunter world, Marvel vs Capcom (3 at least), the Mega Man legacy collections and Disney afternoon collection, to name some. This would classify as very basic support and yet all we have are an ancient port and 2 less desired RE titles, and a bunch of blow off comments otherwise :/

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Revelations 1 was a 3DS game originally but Revelations 2 was a cross gen game and the Vita version was literal 2nd thought dog shit. Switch is seemingly getting Revelatons games based off the current gen versions. That's pretty solid given the circumstances. Doesn't change Capcom's shitty support but Revelations 2 wasn't a Vita spinoff.

The fact that we don't know for sure is a problem, though. 1080p? Is 30fps stable? PC/PS4 or 360/Ps3 textures?

Piscus

Funniest thing about all of this? If Capcom turned around and had a change of tune and pledged a bunch of current stuff Bethesda-style, I bet you anything the Switch userbase would forgive them and buy in. No grudges
(well, unless their pledges were a bunch of SNES titles for $40+ again)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Funniest thing about all of this? If Capcom turned around and had a change of tune and pledged a bunch of current stuff Bethesda-style, I bet you anything the Switch userbase would forgive them and buy in. No grudges
(well, unless their pledges were a bunch of SNES titles for $40+ again)

I would buy compelling software, yes. Unless its associated with the known white supremacists. I'm just amused at Capcom and glad that I don't own stock. BTW, RE7 is great. Keep the good work on the franchise!

The fact that we don't know for sure is a problem, though. 1080p? Is 30fps stable? PC/PS4 or 360/Ps3 textures?

Based off current gen would imply PC/PS4. The pics they released of the Switch version looked like the PS4 versions. 30fps is given. Stable? Wont know til DF regardless.

fortunato

Banned
It's also pretty baffling to watch some people saying "Don't worry, of course there is a Monster Hunter Portable for Switch under development--they're just not announcing it because they want to promote World!" as it is actually a good marketing strategy and not shortsighted one. As I previously said, if there's a new entry for Switch, it will hardly release before late 2018, and then it might be too late.

Further, Capcom is not new in announcing games before the release of another entry in the same franchise. Cases in point: Resident Evil 6 announced just before the launch of Revelations; and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, announced and released before Tri.

nightside

I would buy compelling software, yes. Unless its associated with the known white supremacists I'm just amused at Capcom and glad that I don't own stock. BTW, RE7 is great. Keep the good work on the franchise!

?

BTW I'm still salty that capcom never made Megaman ZX 3 so I don't know if I would buy their switch games (kidding, I'd buy stuff I'm interested in).

TBH Capcom test is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen from a publisher

It is. You'd think one game would be enough. I get the need to test the waters on a new platform that followed platforms which didn't quite deliver for publishers, but the way Capcom has done it really shows them as slow to react. Especially when they could have put out low-risk, low-cost projects like Disney Afternoon Collection.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So UK = the entire world now

lol gaf at least wait for US numbers, marvel is a US game.

Following up, it debuted at #19 on the top 20 PS4 digital charts for the month in the US: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444118

NA

1 Destiny 2
2 NBA 2K18
3 FIFA 18
4 Madden NFL 18
5 FINAL FANTASY IX
6 EA SPORTS NHL 18
7 Grand Theft Auto V
8 Rocket League
9 Bloodborne
10 STAR WARS Battlefront Ultimate Edition
11 The Last Of Us Remastered