• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

Capcom...

Remember, january 2017:

https://youtu.be/mcOY4KQg3dI?t=405

Q: Will resident evil 7 be released on switch?

A: "laugh" Are you sure you want to spoil your last question on that? "laugh" Come on, we invite you to ask us another "big smile"

I think they laugh less now ^^

I can understand Capcom being cautious on Switch, but it's kind of incredible how they seemingly had almost zero interest or confidence in the device whatsoever, company-wide. It's very clear they had almost no plans in place if the Switch ended up a success.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
At work so can't watch but is that a somewhat accurate transcription?

If so yikes, Capcom really deserves the treatment they're getting.

The actual video is more blatant. Even the Destiny 2 and Overwatch guys gave a dignified response.

I can understand Capcom being cautious on Switch, but it's kind of incredible how they seemingly had almost zero interest or confidence in the device whatsoever, company-wide.

Matrixmax.EXE (SP?) will defend them, their PR for the system has been terrible and continues to be. We get more dignified responses from Blizzard...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What some people don't understand is the fact that, at the moment, Capcom lacks a vision on Switch. It's not about conspiracy or hysteria.

It's perfectly understandable if software houses are skeptical of Switch, as it came after Wii U, and it's a new concept in gaming. Henceforth, it's perfectly reasonable they don't have big guns ready during the first year. But if you look closely, you can see that all major companies had something relatively promising on/for the platform... Even those companies that haven't had a close relationship with Nintendo in years, if any at all.

You have Konami, with an exclusive Bomberman game. You have Square Enix, with full Dragon Quest support and an exclusive jRPG. You have Koei Tecmo, which is porting all of their Musou and Gust games. You have Nippon Ichi, which put its main product on Switch during the launch period. You have Namco Bandai, which promised at least two major IPs coming on Switch. You have Sega with Sonic and Atlus games. Some of them clearly stated that Switch will be a viable platform in the future... Perhaps not getting all of their games, but a sizeable and appropriate support.

Capcom, on the other hand, is nowhere to be seen. Everything they've done on Switch is rushed and unattractive. Easy and low risk stuffs are DOA. They're still evaluating how to support the platform. When you have companies like Koei Tecmo and Square Enix that adapted quickly to take into account Switch huge success, Capcom's behavior scream incompetence.

Look, it's not only Switch... Capcom is making bad business decisions on all platforms (look at the sales of MvC:I). However, on Switch they're even getting wrong their strategy of releasing legacy games, like Okami and Mega Man: low risk, huge ROI. The thing that stands out the most is the fact that Capcom benefitted a lot from Nintendo platforms in the past. You can say that the Monster Hunter franchise on 3DS brought lots of revenues, and didn't disappoint; even small stuffs such as Ace Attorney and previous collections performed relatively well on 3DS. Among all of the Japanese third parties, Capcom should have been the one with the less skeptical approach.
They were the biggest third party on the 3DS in Japan sales wise (barely edging out level 5) and likely world wide.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Capcom should just drop both. Focus on Switch only. SF2U had a lower budget, was a port of a super old game, and still sold well on a lower player base.

PS4/Xbox players have better options. Switch users don't. Marvel vs Capcom wasn't some spectacular release that failed to perform, so calling for them to drop support for Xbox/PS4 just to satisfy some inner fanboy desire is absurd.

HonMirin

Is this really Capcom's fault? From what I've been reading over the last couple of years, Marvel/Disney have made a serious effort to bury certain characters. It would seem they (Capcom) have tried to make the best of a bad deal.

Personally I'd blame Marvel/Disney. If they removed their character ban and Capcom added X-Men and their other classic characters, I'm sure fortunes would change.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
PS4/Xbox players have better options. Switch users don't. Marvel vs Capcom wasn't some spectacular release that failed to perform, so calling for them to drop support for Xbox/PS4 just to satisfy some inner fanboy desire is absurd.

Dropping the PS4/XB/PC is indeed absurd. But taking Capcom's own argument to its logical consequences, their games don't perform on those platforms, while the one they did on the Switch did :) .

Is this really Capcom's fault? From what I've been reading over the last couple of years, Marvel/Disney have made a serious effort to bury certain characters. It would seem they (Capcom) have tried to make the best of a bad deal.

Personally I'd blame Marvel/Disney. If they removed their character ban and Capcom added X-Men and their other classic characters, I'm sure fortunes would change.

How does that explain Capcom's side of development, with their characters models, and their roster, and their side of the story mode?

random25

Predicting what Capcom would do is more frustrating than trying to guess lottery numbers. So it's less of a headache when not bothering what they're gonna make for the Switch.

On another side, at least their USFII release was an unbelievable success lol.

fortunato

Banned

Dropping PS4/XB1 is totally non-sense, but Capcom expected 2m from Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite; they will be lucky to sell a third of that at full price.

epkcxhk.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dropping PS4/XB1 is totally non-sense, but Capcom expected 2m from Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite; they will be lucky to sell a third of that at full price.

Capcom' pretty delusional and seems to think anything they slap on a disc will sell on brand alone. They need to put effort into these releases. Not having the X-Men makes me wonder why a Marvel vs Capcom was greenlighted in the first place?

Just adding X-men wouldn't save this game. The Capcom side of the roster isn't that great either plus the lackluster art style.

JoeInky

I honestly do not expect Capcom to turn it around until 2019 the earliest which depending on how the rest of their lineup does between now and then could be catastrophic for Capcom

At which point they will have missed the launch boat where there's less competition and people are spending more money on the system because it's the new thing.

I'm still amazed they didn't even bother with ports for the 2 NES collections, that seems like such a lock to me.

Just adding X-men wouldn't save this game. The Capcom side of the roster isn't that great either plus the lackluster art style.

the game needs a total new coat of paint like what Blizzard did aeons ago with WoW...in this case, Capcom need to hire some artists to redesign the visual elements of the game.

Oregano

The actual video is more blatant. Even the Destiny 2 and Overwatch guys gave a dignified response.

Matrixmax.EXE (SP?) will defend them, their PR for the system has been terrible and continues to be. We get more dignified responses from Blizzard...

Matrixman.EXE does have a point that Capcom's current level of support isn't really out of whack with most other publishers, and they might have releases lined up for the future.

Capcom gets more flack not only because they are traditionally one of Nintendo's best supporters(or even THE best) but because they come out with tone-deaf PR constantly.

Probably thought the Marvel name would do them some good I guess.

Except not really cause they didn't really go crazy on the fan service angle. And they forgot to market the game.

Lol

Capcom legitimately learned everything but the essential lessons from SFV.

At which point they will have missed the launch boat where there's less competition and people are spending more money on the system because it's the new thing.

I'm still amazed they didn't even bother with ports for the 2 NES collections, that seems like such a lock to me.

I still believe they wait for the switches VC service, so they can sell the games of the collection for 5$ a piece. That would also explain why they did not announce a switch version of the upcoming SF collection.

edit:
Matrixman.EXE does have a point that Capcom's current level of support isn't really out of whack with most other publishers, and they might have releases lined up for the future.

yeah, "might have"
how long could a port of the NES/SF collection take? they could at least announce something

JoeInky

I still believe they wait for the switches VC service, so they can sell the games of the collection for 5$ a piece. That would also explain why they did not announce a switch version of the upcoming SF collection.

I don't know about that too much, I think there's value in having both on the sytem, as they do have both VC megaman and legacy collection on 3DS I believe?

The legacy collection would basically be a bundle but then if people wanted to just purchase individual games separately they could do that via virtual console.

E: I think a physical release of legacy collection 1 & 2 (on one cart) at or near launch would have done way better than USF2 but who knows.

Cerium

To shame these people I really hope DOOM does well.
Their PR has been on point.

GamesBeat: Was it difficult at all to get Doom to run on the Switch?

Hines: Probably no more so than any other platform. Every time you go to a new platform, there’s always going to be challenges in terms of how they do this or do that differently from the PC. But we feel like we have something that represents the game and looks really good. Some games may look as good as Doom on the Switch, but I’m not sure that anything looks better. It’s an impressive-looking game and it’s still really fun to play.

NEO0MJ

Could have done that on Switch when it comes to MegaMan but they still ported the collection.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Capcom gets more flack not only because they are traditionally one of Nintendo's best supporters(or even THE best) but because they come out with tone-deaf PR constantly.
Eh, this mini-essay I posted on this very thread why I give more flack to Capcom.

Peléo

Wonder if Capcom will consider a port of MVC:I. Tatsunoko x Capcom did decently well on the Switch, and was a much more niche game. Cam't really understand some of their decisions. Same applies for Okami and Megaman.

wwm0nkey

Really wonder how much Capcom will regret not supporting the Switch early on to capitalize on new hardware. Their whole attitude on the Switch has been so weird

I can understand Capcom being cautious on Switch, but it's kind of incredible how they seemingly had almost zero interest or confidence in the device whatsoever, company-wide. It's very clear they had almost no plans in place if the Switch ended up a success.

Fucking Bethesda had more confidence on it.

Oregano

Eh, this mini-essay I posted on this very thread why I give more flack to Capcom.

You're not wrong. But this is the important part:

Doom and Skyrim has the advantage of November largely to itself for the switch which should be a high selling season. Really Nintendo couldn't have helped them.out more than they have beyond an actual bundle.

Fucking Bethesda had more confidence on it.

Compare their approach to Bethesda who so far is only releasing late ports on Switch, including a last gen game. It's not all dissimilar but Bethesda isn't doing daft stuff like talking about evaluating the platform, which is why they're getting a lot of love right now.

Compare their approach to Bethesda who so far is only releasing late ports on Switch, including a last gen game. It's not all dissimilar but Bethesda isn't doing daft stuff like talking about evaluating the platform, which is why they're getting a lot of love right now.

And what makes it even more baffling is Capcom releasing titles such as Okami HD and STILL omitting the Switch. Meanwhile, they haphazardly port Resident Evil Revelations 1&2, which doesn't even entirely fit on the card they're releasing it on...

I maintain what I thought about RE7 when it released, especially after seeing DOOM: that game would've been just fine on the Switch, even if they just made it 30fps.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I thinm Wolfenstein 2 is the real defining point. Doom and Skyrim is decent initial support itself but the release of what is essentially the next big game even if delayed means it's not test for the games consumers actually want.

If MHW was kn the switch Capcom wouldn't be getting as much shit as it is currently. It would still be getting some but the question of future support wouldn't be a question.

Ultimately consumers just want to buy the games they like from third parties on their console of choice with minimal hoops to do so. Doesn't have to be perfect just adequate.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Only releasing late ports is a gross over generalization of Bethesda support. The Capcom equivalent would be announcing RE4HD at launch, that RE7 is planned for early next year and pledging a MHW port for later in 2018.

LordRaptor

Not having the X-Men makes me wonder why a Marvel vs Capcom was greenlighted in the first place?

From Marvels perspective, it has the roster that it needs, and it is promoting the characters that Marvel consider important to promote that align with their overall business interests - just as MvC3 had.
Its a different landscape to when the original COTA / XvSF / MvC / MvC2 games were made, and characters were chosen by capcom based on what they thought would be interesting.

Its the capcom side of the roster that is questionable as to being there to promote overall capcom business interests or fulfilling enough fan service. Honestly, and this is not an opinion that the people who still buy Capcom fighters want to hear, but capcoms problems primarily stem from putting faith in western FGC representatives to direct / produce their products.

sirap

I still can't wrap my head around this game's design choices. The characters look so bland. I know a large chunk of the art was outsourced to a here in Malaysia, but the people who work there are decent artists capable of much better output.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yup.

Though there's quite a few reasons I skipped Infinite, one of the biggest was how fucked over I felt with Marvel 3 and the insane turn around for Ultimate. People don't forget the past.
Umvc3 gonna be looking like a sweet deal once Capcom is done putting out dlc for mvci

Oregano

I thinm Wolfenstein 2 is the real defining point. Doom and Skyrim is decent initial support itself but the release of what is essentially the next big game even if delayed means it's not test for the games consumers actually want.

If MHW was kn the switch Capcom wouldn't be getting as much shit as it is currently. It would still be getting some but the question of future support wouldn't be a question.

Ultimately consumers just want to buy the games they like from third parties on their console of choice with minimal hoops to do so. Doesn't have to be perfect just adequate.

Only releasing late ports is a gross over generalization of Bethesda support. The Capcom equivalent would be announcing RE4HD at launch, that RE7 is planned for early next year and pledging a MHW port for later in 2018.

Right but that's part of the point. Capcom might have Resi 7 or Monster Hunter World planned for the Switch just as Bethesda has Wolfenstein planned. The difference is Bethesda isn't saying they are using Doom to "evaluate the platform".

Basically even if Capcom has stuff planned(which they might) they still deserve shit for their terrible PR.

Right but that's part of the point. Capcom might have Resi 7 or Monster Hunter World planned for the Switch just as Bethesda has Wolfenstein planned. The difference is Bethesda isn't using Doom to "evaluate the platform".

Basically even if Capcom has stuff planned(which they might) they still deserve shit for their terrible PR.

There would literally be absolutely no harm in announcing that a Switch version is at least in the works, and there is more harm to just not saying it altogether.

Cerium

Skyrim, DOOM, and Wolfenstein II are each the most recent entries in their respective franchises. That's top quality support.

You really can't compare that to a shoddy port of a decades old Street Fighter and a port of some Resident Evil spinoffs from 3DS and Vita.

It's really crazy to me that Capcom made such a big splash on the 3DS but took one look at the Switch and decided they were going to ignore its existence outside of an overpriced port of a several years old SF2 remaster they already gave away in a humble bundle. There has to be more than just incompetence here. Was there some kind of EA-esque fallout with Nintendo? Something had to happen for them to just up and ghost a segment of their market between generations.

Gurish

It's pretty sad but the Switch comparisons doesn't mean much, only shows how bad Capcom messed up with this release but it doesn't mean that it could have done much better if the game had a Switch version or anything like that.

kami_sama

And what makes it even more baffling is Capcom releasing titles such as Okami HD and STILL omitting the Switch. Meanwhile, they haphazardly port Resident Evil Revelations 1&2, which doesn't even entirely fit on the card they're releasing it on...

I maintain what I thought about RE7 when it released, especially after seeing DOOM: that game would've been just fine on the Switch, even if they just made it 30fps.

Yeah, I'd understand they'd be a little cautious (too much it seems), but why the fuck are they not porting Okami to the switch? It's one of the easiest ways to sell more copies of the game!
And the announcement was after we knew the switch was a success, so no waiting shit.

Nairume

Banned
Skyrim, DOOM, and Wolfenstein II are each the most recent entries in their respective franchises. That's top quality support.

You really can't compare that to a shoddy port of a decades old Street Fighter and a port of some Resident Evil spinoffs from 3DS and Vita.
Wolfenstein II is a game that they announced before it even came out on other platforms. It's not like they are announcing a late port after it's out elsewhere.

Revelations 1 was a 3DS game originally but Revelations 2 was a cross gen game and the Vita version was literal 2nd thought dog shit. Switch is seemingly getting Revelatons games based off the current gen versions. That's pretty solid given the circumstances. Doesn't change Capcom's shitty support but Revelations 2 wasn't a Vita spinoff.

Top Bottom