• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verdict on White People Reciting Rap Lyrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

Hahahaha this reminds me. Last weekend I was chillin wit some Japanese guy. He's spitting "hold me back" by Rosay and says "pussy, pussy, pussy ass niggas" lol

Manz didn't even clock wot he said yet but in a sec all I heard was "SORRY SORRY SORRY, I am so so so sorry". Manz even went into full on Japanese bow on the ground hahaha. Kinda awkward so I was just.....chill man. Free drinks all night tho.

I don't feel like I'm acting like anything. I am saying that, when it comes to white people saying racial slurs, it isn't complicated.

I said that the issue is complicated when we talk about non-white people saying it. However with white people, even if not everyone who is black might have a problem with it, the fact of its history and that people do, means that for white people it is a no brainer.

Fair enough, I definitely don't disagree with your personal stance. I was just a little irked that I was trying to suggest that there might be more to debate, and you were conflating those arguments with "ironic racism" or "getting a pass," which weren't even ideas I was bringing up.

I may be arguing that I think context is important, but that doesn't mean I think all (or even many) contexts are above scrutiny.

Raiden

Banned
I personally think that Eminem had enough social power (back at the height of his popularity) that he could have completely shattered the concept of "nigga" being a black-owned word.

But he has too much respect for blacks to do that. It's funny that because of all people, HE gets it...someone who grew up impoverished, facing a hard life and in a world (the rap world) where the word is spoken about a billion times a day.

That would be funny if only people who truly get it are allowed to say the "n" word.

I would actually pay for that to happen.

Just want to let you know there's so a difference between "nigga" and "nigger"

I'm damn near positive most blacks would whoop on other blacks for calling them the latter.
Pay no mind to it, it's Kite. Dude acts a fool.

Hahahaha this reminds me. Last weekend I was chillin wit some Japanese guy. He's spitting "hold me back" by Rosay and says "pussy, pussy, pussy ass niggas" lol

Manz didn't even clock wot he said yet but in a sec all I heard was "SORRY SORRY SORRY, I am so so so sorry". Manz even went into full on Japanese bow on the ground hahaha. Kinda awkward so I was just.....chill man. Free drinks all night tho.
#dead

Regardless of the popularization of the word, the origins of it make it disgusting either way, and one that no white person should ever repeat even if you're given the crutch of "it's in the lyrics!" "I'm quoting!"

Cut that shit out.
iVVQICFqUrcPm.gif

I saw a rap battle a couple weeks ago with two white guys going at each other, in a room full of black people, and one kept uttering the N word throughout his rounds and no one checked him. I myself barely noticed it, I mean as long as you sound natural saying it and seem engrossed enough by the culture, you probably won't get checked on it.

I saw a rap battle a couple weeks ago with two white guys going at each other, in a room full of black people, and one kept uttering the N word throughout his rounds and no one checked him. i myself barely noticed it, I mean as long as you sound natural saying it and seem engrossed enough into the culture, you probably won't get checked on it.

When I first got Aesop Rock's album None Shall Pass, I totally misheard the lyric "latchkey neighbor" and thought that he was being an ignorant idiot or something. I honestly still mis-hear it and do a double take sometimes.

DominoKid

He apologized for that. And I'm speaking more about the songs on his albums; that he doesn't use them to promote the idea that anyone can say nigga (which he totally could have, given his profession)

yeah because he's not an idiot. he can't say it. even the 'great' eminem doesn't get a pass.

FreeMufasa

Whatever happened to that one GAF poster who was black but absolutely hated black people? Ripclaw I think?

Nah, he just REALLY hated black Americans for some reason. He was Caribbean.

There was this other dude called Measely who I think was worse. Dude straight up said he wishes his future daughter doesn't look like him and black.

So sad.

I saw a rap battle a couple weeks ago with two white guys going at each other, in a room full of black people, and one kept uttering the N word throughout his rounds and no one checked him. I myself barely noticed it, I mean as long as you sound natural saying it and seem engrossed enough by the culture, you probably won't get checked on it.

Speakin of, someone needs to post that rap battle in which a white dude did say it and everything got quiet as shit. He also said some racist shit too the entire thing was funny to me.

There was this other dude called Measely who I think was worse. Dude straight up said he wishes his future daughter doesn't look like him and black.

In the black culture thread I think he said that, it made me more sad for him to read that than angry(though it still made me pretty angry).

Ah, Measely, yes.

TBH, I used to think the same in the past. Mostly brought on by jokes about how dark I am.

Fuck it, though. Love being black. And that's the past, anyways.

We've all been there. One of your white friends is having a good time and enjoying the beat--at karaoke, or maybe singing along with the Tupac song spilling out of macbook speakers at a shitty house party, or hell, just spitting a capella like he was in a wannabe cypher--and suddenly the entire room tenses up as he gets closer and closer to the line where 2Pac or 2Chainz or whoever the fuck it is kids listen to these days throws in a "nigga."

What will he do? Will he deliver a 100% faithful rendition, cashing in whatever cultural currency he earned by memorizing all the words to a three minute single? Will he mumble through the line in question, as if tiptoeing across a dangerous minefield? Pull one of those "to all my [ehh]'s out there" where he replaces "nigga" with a slight gasp and head bob, getting back on beat in time for the "s" (or "z", as the case may be)? Or perhaps just say "ninja" instead?

How do you react when someone does this? If you're the one rapping, which tack do you take? Does it depend on the racial/ethnic composition of the room?

(Not a bait thread; legitimately interested in people's thoughts.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpxSoZkIpCg

I have not one fucking problem with it.............................least not in this case...

Dem lips....

MIMIC

Banned
And yet many black people do not have a problem with the word "nigga" being used by non-blacks.

I guess only your feelings on the issue are valid.

That's fine if others don't care. But that sentiment won't disappear when in the presence of those that do.

Oh and out of curiosity, what % black does someone need to be to say the word? Just enough to "look black?" Or one drop rule? 1/4th? 1/8th?

Well in my view, if you aren't seen in society's eyes as black, then you can't say it. After all, you wouldn't have been called a nigger in the 1960s, so it makes no sense to try and use the word when it was never directed at you. That's the whole point of the word "nigga".

Kite

Just want to let you know there's so a difference between "nigga" and "nigger"

I'm damn near positive most blacks would whoop on other blacks for calling them the latter.
I'm asking about reciting the lyrics of a song, of course I would never call anyone a racial slur. And you are right, I meant "nigga."

In topics like these I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes and think how I or people I know would react would react. I'm told there is some Nicki Minaj song with the phrase "chinky eyes", and I really don't know how I would react if anyone said it in front of me.

Pay no mind to it, it's Kite. Dude acts a fool.
lol

Kick it over here baby pop... and let all the fly skimmies, feel the beat...

Mmmmmmdrooop!

Yeah, I don't really care. If white people want to recite rap lyrics, let them.

FreeMufasa

Can Drake say it?
Can a black rapper from England say it?

It's not even about being black, it's about having NEGRO ancestry. You can be black and not have sub-s African/Negro blood in u, just look at alot of Indians/Sri-lankens. I know alot blacker than me and I wouldn't hesitate to fuck them up if they start dropping nigga in front of me.

Ah, Measely, yes.

TBH, I used to think the same in the past. Mostly brought on by jokes about how dark I am.

Fuck it, though. Love being black. And that's the past, anyways.

It's hard growing up ina light skin household.......

I'm not even that dark but compared the the fam.....parents straight up telling me I'm ugly cos I'm the blackest in the family, wow. Lucky for me I got over it at around 14 so before I could even start thinking about kids.

In the black culture thread I think he said that, it made me more sad for him to read that than angry(though it still made me pretty angry).

I feel sad for his future daughter. She's gonna get a lot of hate and disappointment if she comes out looking a different way.

It's not even about being black, it's about having NEGRO ancestry. You can be black and not have sub-s African/Negro blood in u, just look at alot of Indians/Sri-lankens. I know alot blacker than me and I wouldn't hesitate to fuck them up if they start dropping nigga in front of me.
Why? My wife is from Bangladesh, and it was used against her family by the British.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
One of the best bro-moments of my life:

In a party bus with 11 of my bouncer colleagues, going through the Point Roberts border crossing with windows open and breaking into a hearty requila-fueled rendition of DMX's "My Niggaz" at top volume, freaking out other folks in line...and, in retrospect, not doing us any favours getting across the border. Black, white, Samoan and Asian and nobody giving a fuck because we knew each other. No malice involved, just guys who'd been through the wringer letting off steam with a common song we all loved.

In my old area I used to get called Paki (racist British slur for Pakistanis) by racist white people despite clearly being Negro.

Don't mean I can start usin Paki.

I am not talking about the misidentification scenario you are talking about. I am talking about it being used in the same way it was used for black people. It was used here in Australia to describe Aboriginal people.

The word, historically, did not necessarily exclusively describe people with Sub Saharan ancestry.

Baconbitz

Banned
The verdict is that certain people will never be ok with white people using the word in any context.
That's the sad truth. Anyways, in any cases I feel uncomfortable even if i'm not around someone black. I will use "N-er" like enter without the t.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
In my old area I used to get called Paki (racist British slur for Pakistanis) by racist white people despite clearly being Negro.

Don't mean I can start usin Paki.
Weird, I got that too as a kid. I didn't actually get called a nigger until second grade.

I love how some rappers mess with the audience when they recite lyrics. It's hilarious to say the least. However, a couple don't really care, which is interesting.

FreeMufasa

Weird, I got that too as a kid. I didn't actually get called a nigger until second grade.

I got it till I was about 12 and thought it referred to black people. I still remember being relieved and sad as people stopped using it but then learning about nigger.

y2dvd

You mean after they knowingly say a racist word that they know makes me uncomfortable? Bet your ass I would. I would expect them to do the same to me if I said something racially offense to them. Luckily, I've only ever had to check associates.
Yikes! Are you ok with a black person saying "nigga"? What about a non-white person like me for instance, if I were to use it in the same context? If "yes" to the first question and "no" to the second question, why?

it aint easy being white
Is that you Gob?

Reciting lyrics is stupid no matter what they are.
So you like, never sang along to a song before?

Az987

all good things
Ive been seeing this girl for a little bit; she's black and I'm white.

So she told me her sister came to visit her and she has a picture of us on a little cork board on the wall in her apartment. Her sister saw it, said I was cute but asked if I acted black. She said no he just acts like himself but his favorite rapper is Tupac and when I rap the songs it sounds really bad.

She told me that! Can you believe it? I told her she just killed my dreams of becoming a rapper and I will never rap Whatz ya phone number to her again!

Then, get this, we played Dance Central over the holiday and she literally rolled on the floor laughing at me dancing. She fell out of her chair and rolled on the mother fucking floor laughing.

3Sixty

Was listening to some J.Cole today and realised i sung along a little to loud to;

"Soon as my dough straight, I throw the wifey in some dolce
and put some chains on my niggas like I own slaves"

Could have caused a little awkwardness.

One of the best bro-moments of my life:

In a party bus with 11 of my bouncer colleagues, going through the Point Roberts border crossing with windows open and breaking into a hearty tequila-fueled rendition of DMX's "My Niggaz" at top volume, freaking out other folks in line...and, in retrospect, not doing us any favours getting across the border. Black, white, Samoan and Asian and nobody giving a fuck because we knew each other. No malice involved, just guys who'd been through the wringer letting off steam with a common song we all loved.

Hahaha. Hold up, you are/were a bouncer? That's actually pretty fitting. Wrecking shit even in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom