• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verdict on White People Reciting Rap Lyrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a historical context to the use of the word that you are missing. You can't de contextualise racial slurs.

I didn't say that. I'm saying if you hate the word and the history behind it, it shouldn't matter what race is saying it. And yes there is a historical context behind the word but that doesn't change the fact that many people use the word and they mean no harm when they say it. It all depends on the way it is used

Sharp inhales with pursed lips and raised eyebrows.
john-cena-funny-face.gif

MIMIC

Banned
I didn't say that. I'm saying if you hate the word and the history behind it, it shouldn't matter what race is saying it.

Well, the "history behind it" included one particular group of people using it to denigrate blacks. That's why it matters which race is saying it; the association is inescapable.

I didn't say that. I'm saying if you hate the word and the history behind it, it shouldn't matter what race is saying it. And yes there is a historical context behind the word but that doesn't change the fact that many people use the word and they mean no harm when they say it. It all depends on the way it is used

For white people, it doesn't really depend on the way it is used. It has inescapable negative connotations. This is not the case when it is used by black people.

Some non-white people agree that it should not be used by anyone, some disagree. That is, as I said, an issue for that community. In this case, white people should err on the side of not being racist ****heads, and not say it.

It isn't that hard.

Funniest thing to watch people go silent.

And act as if I'm the black council "Um, excuse me, my friend said I could say the n-word... can I?"

I honestly give no shits. It's part of the song, sing it.

One of my friends used to be so uncomfortable saying "nigga." Now he'll text me like "what's up my nigga," and I'm wondering exactly when this change took place.

For white people, it doesn't really depend on the way it is used. It has inescapable negative connotations. This is not the case when it is used by black people.

Some non-white people agree that it should not be used by anyone, some disagree. That is, as I said, an issue for that community. In this case, white people should err on the side of not being racist ****heads, and not say it.

It isn't that hard.

Sure, but I think what a lot of people disagree on is what constitutes "use." Is saying the word when discussing dialogue in a novel or film using it? Is singing along to a song playing using it? I'm not asking these to be rhetorical or difficult, I think they're actual questions everyone should ask themselves.

That's where things get a little more murky, as many people see a clear distinction between, say, reciting and analyzing a line from Huckleberry Finn (sorry to drag out that tired example) and casually/ignorantly calling someone a racial slur out of affection or because it makes them look "tough," or whatever. Then there are the million shades in between, including situations like singing along to a song.

This debate is probably never going to go away because different people in different communities all have different opinions on the subject and are comfortable with different things. Personally I think it's important for everyone to remember that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from criticism, and that saying certain words in many situations won't reflect well on them, and that it's important to understand why.

SmokyDave

If I can't sing the chorus to 'Gimme Some More' you might as well just throw me in the ground right now. I've nothing left to live for.

Sure, but I think what a lot of people disagree on is what constitutes "use." Is saying the word when discussing dialogue in a novel or film using it? Is singing along to a song playing using it? I'm not asking these to be rhetorical or difficult, I think they're actual questions everyone should ask themselves.

That's where things get a little more murky, as many people see a clear distinction between, say, reciting and analyzing a line from Huckleberry Finn (sorry to drag out that tired example) and casually/ignorantly calling someone a racial slur out of affection or because it makes them look "tough," or whatever. Then there are the million shades in between, including situations like singing along to a song.

This debate is probably never going to go away because different people in different communities all have different opinions on the subject and are comfortable with different things. Personally I think it's important for everyone to remember that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from criticism, and that saying certain words in many situations won't reflect well on them, and that it's important to understand why.

Thank you.

Your post misses my point though. You are just summing up that there is a discussion about it, which I acknowledged. That there is no clear consensus thus shows that it is never a good idea.
To repeat:

Some people say that sometimes it is okay and others say differently.

Regardless, it is never a good idea for some white dude to go around yelling racial slurs. Ever. Never a good idea. No amount of debate will change that reality.

When did it become so important to say a word? I sometimes feel like not being able to go around yelling that racial slur is the greatest oppression in some white people's lives. Oh no, I can't yell racist slurs! What ever will I do!?

Yeah, some people say that some things constitute use and others say differently.

Regardless, it is never a good idea for some white dude to go around yelling racial slurs. Ever. Never a good idea. No amount of semantic discussions will change that.

I absolutely agree, but there's a little more to this conversation than "white dudes going around yelling racial slurs."

someday

Banned
I absolutely agree, but there's a little more to this conversation than "white dudes going around yelling racial slurs."
I think the rules are going to be a little different in a classroom setting discussing history. But that's very different than a white kid rapping for fun.

I think the rules are going to be a little different in a classroom setting discussing history. But that's very different than a white kid rapping for fun.

Oh, for sure, I was just bringing up other examples to point out that why I don't think the debate is entirely cut-and-dry.

Your post misses my point though. You are just summing up that there is a discussion about it, which I acknowledged. That there is no clear consensus thus shows that it is never a good idea.
To repeat:

Some people say that sometimes it is okay and others say differently.

Regardless, it is never a good idea for some white dude to go around yelling racial slurs. Ever. Never a good idea. No amount of debate will change that reality.

When did it become so important to say a word? I sometimes feel like not being able to go around yelling that racial slur is the greatest oppression in some white people's lives. Oh no, I can't yell racist slurs! What ever will I do!?

I'm not really sure why you edited your post to be more indignant. I'm sorry if I've offended you or something, but I certainly don't feel...

I sometimes feel like not being able to go around yelling that racial slur is the greatest oppression in some white people's lives. Oh no, I can't yell racist slurs! What ever will I do!?

...anything close to this, that's sort of uncalled for. I hope my posts reflect that.

balddemon

Banned
well one time I was at this party, right? met a black dude named Smokey. Of course the first thing I asked him was "Do you care if I say nigga" and he said "as long as you don't add the -er to it" so I was like "Mah niggaaaa!" and we did the handshake/high five/bump shoulders thing. It was the best moment of my drunken life.

well one time I was at this party, right? met a black dude named Smokey. Of course the first thing I asked him was "Do you care if I say nigga" and he said "as long as you don't add the -er to it" so I was like "Mah niggaaaa!" and we did the handshake/high five/bump shoulders thing. It was the best moment of my drunken life.

Wowie zowie.

I'm representin' for the bitches
All eyes on your riches
No time for the little dicks
You see the bigger the dick
The bigger the bank, the bigger the Benz
The better the chance to get close to his rich friends
I'm going after the big man
G-string make his dick stand
Make it quick then slow head by the night stand
Like lightning I wanna nigga with a wedding ring
Bank accounts in the Philippines
Blank note to take everything
See I fuck him in the living room
While his children home
I make him eat it while my period on
A little nasty ho, red-bone but a classy ho
Young jazzy ho and don't be scared
If you're curious just ask me hoes
And yes dick sucking comes quite natural
I'm the baddest bitch what

HomShaBom

Banned
I'm representin' for the bitches
All eyes on your riches
No time for the little dicks
You see the bigger the dick
The bigger the bank, the bigger the Benz
The better the chance to get close to his rich friends
I'm going after the big man
G-string make his dick stand
Make it quick then slow head by the night stand
Like lightning I wanna nigga with a wedding ring
Bank accounts in the Philippines
Blank note to take everything
See I fuck him in the living room
While his children home
I make him eat it while my period on
A little nasty ho, red-bone but a classy ho
Young jazzy ho and don't be scared
If you're curious just ask me hoes
And yes dick sucking comes quite natural
I'm the baddest bitch what
Better than Shawty Lo.

someday

Banned
What's the verdict on non-black children reading aloud passages of books that use the word "nigger" for class?

I'm going to say that the difference in this situation and rapping on your own is that in class, you are going to have a larger discussion about the word and it's meaning in that novel. So yeah, if you're reading a book, then read it all. Any other loopholes you wanna ask about?

I'm not really sure why you edited your post to be more indignant. I'm sorry if I've offended you or something, but I certainly don't feel...

Lol. Edited for coherency, not to be more indignant.

This isn't about me being offended at anything. It is more about the weirdness of the lengths people can go to to find a context where it is cool for them to say racial slurs. Be it through the 'I'm being ironic' excuse, or the 'my black friend said it was cool' excuse etc. etc.

prwxv3

wasn't there a old thread about a reporter reading off the word off of something and there were posters getting mad?

Lol. Edited for coherency, not to be more indignant.

This isn't about me being offended at anything. It is more about the weirdness of the lengths people can go to to find a context where it is cool for them to say racial slurs. Be it through the 'I'm being ironic' excuse, or the 'my black friend said it was cool' excuse etc. etc.

But that isn't what my post was about at all. I agree that transparent stuff like that is obnoxious and terrible.

What was it about if not attempting to imply that there is more complexity to the issue than exists?

You're acting like I'm personally trying to slip past a fence into "allowed to say bad-word land" which wasn't what I was saying at all.

Also... you agreed a few posts ago that the issue is complicated. That's why your policy is "so never say it," whereas I was trying to say that not everyone in every community is going to agree with that prescribed course of action.

Now I'm just sort of confused. I feel like we're arguing the same thing at each other.

Fat Joe doesn't know any better.

Jennifer Lopez says it too! Apparently getting dicked by Diddy gives you a pass lulz. TAKE THAT, TAKE THAT TAKE THAT! Bad Boy baby

I'm non-White, can I say "nigger" when reciting rap lyrics? Got no baggage of history here~

Just want to let you know there's so a difference between "nigga" and "nigger"

I'm damn near positive most blacks would whoop on other blacks for calling them the latter.

You're acting like I'm personally trying to slip past a fence into "allowed to say bad-word land" which wasn't what I was saying at all.
I don't feel like I'm acting like anything. I am saying that, when it comes to white people saying racial slurs, it isn't complicated.
Also... you agreed a few posts ago that the issue is complicated. That's why your policy is "so never say it," whereas I was trying to say that not everyone in every community is going to agree with that prescribed course of action.
I said that the issue is complicated when we talk about non-white people saying it. However with white people, even if not everyone who is black might have a problem with it, the fact of its history and that people do, means that for white people it is a no brainer.

MIMIC

Banned
Does Eminem count?

I personally think that Eminem had enough social power (back at the height of his popularity) that he could have completely shattered the concept of "nigga" being a black-owned word.

But he has too much respect for blacks to do that. It's funny that because of all people, HE gets it...someone who grew up impoverished, facing a hard life and in a world (the rap world) where the word is spoken about a billion times a day.

I personally think that Eminem had enough social power (back at the height of his popularity) that he could have completely shattered the concept of "nigga" being a black-owned word.

But he has too much respect for blacks to do that. It's funny that because of all people, HE gets it...someone who grew up impoverished, facing a hard life and in a world (the rap world) where the word is spoken about a billion times a day.

He has said it plenty of times in case you didn't know

MIMIC

Banned
He has said it plenty of times in case you didn't know

He apologized for that. And I'm speaking more about the songs on his albums; that he doesn't use them to promote the idea that anyone can say nigga (which he totally could have, given his profession)

And yet many black people do not have a problem with the word "nigga" being used by non-blacks.

I guess only your feelings on the issue are valid.

Oh and out of curiosity, what % black does someone need to be to say the word? Just enough to "look black?" Or one drop rule? 1/4th? 1/8th?

He apologized for that. And I'm speaking more about the songs on his albums.

He did? I know he apologized for that song he made a really long time ago, but I'm just talking about repeating rap lyrics like this thread, he done it on concerts when performing with others. I mean, but yeah sure possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom