• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verdict on White People Reciting Rap Lyrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's list appropriate substitutions that white people can use:
  • neighbor
  • nephew
  • covering your mouth and opening your eyes real wide

Lebron

So you threaten friends with violence cause the recite lyrics accurately even though you know they aren't being racist in anyway?

You mean after they knowingly say a racist word that they know makes me uncomfortable? Bet your ass I would. I would expect them to do the same to me if I said something racially offense to them. Luckily, I've only ever had to check associates.

Riggs

Banned
I was raised in the city , shitty ever since I was an itty bitty kiddie drinkin liquah out ma mama titty, and smokin weed was an every day thang in my household, drinkin liquor till you out cold.

bort

ohhhhhh

so that's what Miley was actually trying to say here.

89c3C.jpg

guTzO.jpg

She loves rap music and her new album is going to be country hip hop or some shit. Go to her twitter and she quotes rap lyrics all the time but hasn't been stupid enough to quote anything with that yet. She probably does say it with friends tho.

You mean after they knowingly say a racist word that they know makes me uncomfortable? Bet your ass I would. Luckily, I've only ever had to check associates.

Seems a bit overblown to me(in the case of karaoke at least). That and I dislike people who threaten people with violence. But well that's your opinion I guess.

Arjen

I Love hip hop and I always "sing" along with the lyrics. I honestly never thought that would be a problem.

highrider

Banned
If I don't know you we're gonna have problems. I wanna know where your momma from, where your daddy from. Fuck that where your grandma stay at? If I don't like your answers we're gonna have beef homie.
For what reason? That line of questioning suggests that the white person would have to establish some legitimacy as a rapper. Why is he subject to that? Nobody questions drake, or any of the black rappers that are clearly well off kids from solid homes. What credentials allow the use of the word? Poor white kid from black neighborhood? Thugged out white dude fresh out of the pen that benches 400 pounds?

Riggs

Banned
For what reason? That line of questioning suggests that the white person would have to establish some legitimacy as a rapper. Why is he subject to that? Nobody questions drake, or any of the black rappers that are clearly well off kids from solid homes. What credentials allow the use of the word? Poor white kid from black neighborhood? Thugged out white dude fresh out of the pen that benches 400 pounds?

Everyone questions Drake. EVERYONE.

Regardless of the popularization of the word, the origins of it make it disgusting either way, and one that no white person should ever repeat even if you're given the crutch of "it's in the lyrics!" "I'm quoting!"

Cut that shit out.

TheMan

it honestly would make me a little uncomfortable, but if it's in the song, then blame the idiot rapper who perpetuates the usage of the word/stereotype, and not the fan.

however if a white person were to just drop "nigga" in normal conversation, i would instantly dislike them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is coming from the perspective that blacks are so uptight about race that they can get easily offended at the drop of the hat, and by someone singing rap lyrics at karaoke.

In truth, most black people wouldn't be bothered by someone dropping "nigga," but it is incredibly fun to tease your white friends about it, because their reactions are priceless. Lol.

Personally, I don't care. Many of my non-black friends drop the n-bomb in regular conversation, and I'm not about to get upset about it. I refuse to let a single word hold so much control over me. My wife is slowly getting more comfortable with saying "nigga," or "nigger," and we've been together for 8 years now, but she still gets flustered and apologetic when saying it.

I don't think white people, or any nationality, for that matter, should be afraid to say "nigga" or "nigger." I understand why it's such a powerful word, and I've been called a "nigger," by a white person who meant it in every sense of it's derogatory meaning, but it's still a word.

Rap the fuck out of it. Karaoke is fun as shit. Have fun with it, and most of the people there are probably too drunk anyway to care what comes out of your mouth.

So you threaten friends with violence cause they recite lyrics accurately even though you know they aren't being racist in anyway?

You realize this sounds like "My right to correctly sing the lyrics to a song out loud supercede your right not to have friends use racial slurs around you," right?

I don't know if you actually mean that - but that's what it reads like.

I wrote an essay about this once a few years ago:

"A White Person's Guide to the Proper Usage of Their Brand New Ghetto Pass."

It's a weird, awkward subject to be sure, with no real set answer. The shit is situational, really, and depends on your level of friendship and trust. Especially considering the stakes (can I sing this out loud in front of people) are relatively low.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I often sing Get Your Hands Off a My Woman, Motherfucker, by the Darkness. It's all fun and games tip the lyric 'cuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnn.....' comes up. They should just put a sample of the record scratching to a stop in the song.

Seeing the c word right there in that Karaoke typeface is way more sobering than the n word.

I don't know anyone that big of a wigger, who do you hang out with? I occasionally recite a few lines from souljas boys hit song "I'm so fresh" whenever I play with my friends though but nothing past that.

Isn't the term "wigger" pretty racist?

You're basically saying that people of a certain race are expected to act a certain way.

I just tell my friends not to say the N word around me if it's present in the song. They can rap all the want, but you better censor it unless you want to deal with the checking that will sure as hell follow.

Yeah threatening people with violence does a lot to quash racism.

You realize this sounds like "My right to correctly sing the lyrics to a song out loud supercede your right not to have friends use racial slurs around you," right?

I don't know if you actually mean that - but that's what it reads like.

Alternatively: "People with a certain skin color should not be allowed to recite song lyrics because I cannot determine the difference between reciting song lyrics and actual racism."

BHK3

Banned
In truth, most black people wouldn't be bothered by someone dropping "nigga,"

In truth, this is the opposite in my experiences where a mere mention of the word uttered by white lips gets a frowny face on some of my black friends while others it doesn't bother them at all. You really need to check with them or something at first.

Hieberrr

We've all been there. One of your white friends is having a good time and enjoying the beat--at karaoke, or maybe singing along with the Tupac song spilling out of macbook speakers at a shitty house party, or hell, just spitting a capella like he was in a wannabe cypher--and suddenly the entire room tenses up as he gets closer and closer to the line where 2Pac or 2Chainz or whoever the fuck it is kids listen to these days throws in a "nigga."

What will he do? Will he deliver a 100% faithful rendition, cashing in whatever cultural currency he earned by memorizing all the words to a three minute single? Will he mumble through the line in question, as if tiptoeing across a dangerous minefield? Pull one of those "to all my [ehh]'s out there" where he replaces "nigga" with a slight gasp and head bob, getting back on beat in time for the "s" (or "z", as the case may be)? Or perhaps just say "ninja" instead?

How do you react when someone does this? If you're the one rapping, which tack do you take? Does it depend on the racial/ethnic composition of the room?

(Not a bait thread; legitimately interested in people's thoughts.)
It's a song, so whatever.

Some of my white friends actually asked me this very question. I was honest and said that I would prefer if they didn't say it in my presence. And they didn't. No drama.

I mean, how hard is it to either 1) omit the word or 2) replace it with another word (like they do here). Just like if a lyric had the word "bitch" in it, I would omit it if in the presence of a female. But that's just me.

Their 15 minutes is up isn't it.

I often sing Get Your Hands Off a My Woman, Motherfucker, by the Darkness. It's all fun and games tip the lyric 'cuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnn.....' comes up. They should just put a sample of the record scratching to a stop in the song.

Seeing the c word right there in that Karaoke typeface is way more sobering than the n word.

Thanks, we British get very uppity if someone says that word.

That's OUR word :[

and the aussies too i guess

I don't listen to rap and most of my friends don't either so this hasn't really come up but I think if you're going to sing along with the song then you should go all out. If someone has a problem with that their issue should be with the artist. The idea that only black people can use that word in any context only adds to its power to offend. Replacing it with [ehh] or mumbling over it makes me think of those people who type f*ck even though we can all tell what they're saying so they might as well just say fuck. And replacing thee lyric is stupid and just makes me think of the Simpsons scene where Krusty tries to get the Chili Peppers to change their lyrics.

Krusty the Clown: Now, boys, the network has a problem with some of your lyrics. Do you mind changing them for the show?
Anthony Kiedis: Forget you, clown.
Chad Smith: Yeah, our lyrics are like our children, man. No way.
Krusty the Clown: Well, okay, but here where it says, "What I got you gotta get and put it in ya," how about just, "What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss ya."
Flea: Wow. That's much better.
Arik Marshall: Everyone can enjoy that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
In truth, this is the opposite in my experiences where a mere mention of the word uttered by white lips gets a frowny face on some of my black friends while others it doesn't bother them at all. You really need to check with them or something at first.

I think I meant to continue that sentence as "drop the word 'nigga' while singing," but my brain was moving faster than I was typing.

But yeah, I agree that a lot of black people get really uncomfortable when a non-black says "nigga" or "nigger." My family, however, simply wasn't raised that way. I think we were always brought up by my mom and grandparents, to not let a single word hold so much power over you and your emotions. If someone is hurling the word "nigger" at you, like it's a knife, it's because they are a small, pathetic, sad person, who should be pitied for his ignorance. My mom grew up in a time when she couldn't drink from the "White's Only" fountain, and had to ride in the back of the bus. She's been accosted and harassed by police, just for being black. And yet, she still taught me and my sisters to not hold that kind of hate and suspicion in our hearts for whites or anybody else.

If some dude is casually dropping "nigga," or singing it in a song, where the obvious intent is not trying to cause hurt, let it go.

I do think "nigger" is an ugly word. I personally don't say it in everyday conversation (or "nigga"), but I'm not going to try and stop people that are clearly not ill-meaning, and are simply comfortable with saying the word, or singing it in a song.

I'm definitely not about to try and make white people feel uncomfortable when they're singing a song. That's just too extreme for me (although, like I said, it can be really funny to see them fumble with the word. It's like you can see the gears in their head going "should I say it, or shouldn't I? Oh shit, the word is coming up now! What do I---NIGGGAA! - my god, what have I done?!" Lol). I love white people...

Stet

Banned
I was talking about Die Hard with a Vengeance on a podcast I do and I mentioned the sign that he's forced to wear at the beginning and how it's changed on network TV, and my friend got really offended that when I read what was on the sign I didn't say "I HATE N-WORDS" or something. I'm not going to censor myself when I'm quoting something. Not even newspapers do that.

KingK

This same question carries over to quoting movies and TV shows like Django Unchained or The Boondocks. My friends an I occasionally quote funny lines from the Boondocks that use the word "nigga," and the one black friend that I hang out with regularly doesn't care, but I've also met people who felt very uncomfortable whenever a white person used the word.

I personally think it all depends on context and don't think it should be a big deal unless there's malicious intent, but I completely understand and respect the wishes of people who would rather it not be used in front of them.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I just tell my friends not to say the N word around me if it's present in the song. They can rap all the want, but you better censor it unless you want to deal with the checking that will sure as hell follow.

Are you really giving so much power to a word that you're not willing to say it in a safe context? Use quotes if you're really afraid of being misinterpreted, Jesus. I guess Louis CK was right.

As others have said, context is a wonderful thing. But attitudes like yours deny the existence of the notion.

[EDIT] Although it'd be genuinely funny and pathetic if a non-black person replaced every instance of nigger in a song by "the N word". The awkwardness of the rhythm would be ridiculous.

ohhhhhh

so that's what Miley was actually trying to say here.

She loves rap music and her new album is going to be country hip hop or some shit. Go to her twitter and she quotes rap lyrics all the time but hasn't been stupid enough to quote anything with that yet. She probably does say it with friends tho.

Her About me quote is from a rap song as well

"im a dime. best top of the line. cute face slim waist with a BIG behind."

What is she on about though, she doesn't have a big ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom