• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Clipper

Received an e-mail about my 3DS which I sent into the US for repair asking me to call them for more information. Did so, despite the cost (later realising I could save by using Skype), and discovered that they knew nothing about my repair so far, but instead wanted to deactivate my Club Nintendo account as I don't have a fixed address in the US.

I don't want to lie to them, so it looks like I'm screwed here, unless they let me transfer the account to a friend over there. Damn.

Clipper

Tell them to fucking drop the region locking bullshit

The service rep actually fed me the line saying I could register my games with the Australian Club Nintendo. It was me that had to say that if I buy games in Australia, I can't play them on the US console...

bought kingdoms of amalurururururur today

the combat is orgasm inducing. nice to see a game with a non brown grey colour palette too

After reading the article about them not wanting a demo and it being buggy or whatever, I played the demo. Game went from not being on my radar to being omg I must play this asap.

Looks super pretty too

There was some talk in IRC the other day about possibly notifying of new thread posts here, in IRC whenever they occurred. I got bored and made an AusGAF Twitter account.

But wait! There's more! I'm going to remove the Twitter List I've created in the next couple of days, since I've re-created it on the AusGAF Twitter account. If you follow that link and hit subscribe you'll get updates from all AusGAF members who have made their Twitter details public. If you're not on the list and want to be, let me know. If you're on the list and don't want to be, also let me know.

There's still more! Every fifteen minutes the Twitter account will post updates from this thread (if there's 5+ in a fifteen minute period, it'll just tweet how many have been posted to avoid clogging things up too much), along with a link to the individual post (I'm going to make it jump to the post in context rather than a single post, but for the moment it does just the single one). It has the capability to also tweet the Twitter handle of the person posting if that's known (if it's in the above list, it's known). Because some people like privacy, you can opt out of a combination of 1) having your posts tweeted or 2) having your twitter handle included in the update. I've gone all Facebook and enabled these by default, if you want to opt out, let me know.

Also AusGAF 5/5 stats!

Posts by day of the week:
xWTnK.png

Posts by hour of the day (with a comparison of people who have posted their Twitter details vs. people who haven't -- clearly people who have posted their Twitter accounts post earlier than those who haven't):
Ul7iz.png

And here's what the trend of posts looks like:
j81Zc.png

More? OK, why not. When I was figuring out how to scrape the screen, I made an auto-updating AusGAF thing which notifies you how many new posts there are, and highlights them!

... and I'm spent.

Omikron

^--- nice one cods.

Now for my bitchy post of the day. Thanks milsims for posting out my boardgame order. Pity you only sent the expansion not the base game and I have to wait some unknown amount of time for the main game to come back into stock.

Annoying. You would think they would be smart enough to realise that wouldn't be great for me and might ask me if I want to alter my order. :-/

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That's some outstanding work cods, You are one bored son of a bitch.

I think i'm nearly at 60 days available for annual leave. OH YEA! I'm not sure if i'm actually trying to get more just to see how high I can go or if i'm so boring I just don't have any ideas for a holiday. Work are trying to force me into taking some time off too, which is cool and all.

For those Apple lovers. What do you think of 10.8 and what was announced? I like the idea of messages being on your mac, That would be super handy.

I'm still not a fan of iOS slowly moving its way into OSX. I've certainly felt like iOS needs a shakeup in design after android has gotten somewhat more mature and windows 8 actually looking great for tablets.

Yearly updates is also an interesting idea. Wonder how they are going to pull that off.

ITS FRIDAY AUSGAF!

Happy Friday all!

I am heading out tonight with some mates that have been in Japan for a month. Going to see a mates band.
Got a pretty full weekend planned on top of that too.

What is everyone else doing?

In-law visit tomorrow. Aborted homebrewing on Sunday means I'll be gaming.

Twitter thing posted incorrect numbers (5 posts, 7 posts) because I forced a manual run. Usually it'll just check in the past 15 minutes, should be OK now... hopefully. If funny characters in a post means it can't tweet, it may not post until the next time.

Omikron

[10:02] <Omi> !kill
[10:02] <Omi> !die
[10:03] <Kritz> I didn't change the keyword, I just changed who can send it
[10:03] <Marsh> !kill
[10:03] <Omi> yeah
[10:03] <Marsh> !win
[10:03] <Kritz> me, evl, jambo and clipper can
[10:03] <Omi> i remember seeing
[10:03] * Omi is now known as evlcookie
[10:03] <evlcookie> !kill
[10:03] <Steam> Daaaiisy, daaaaissss- *evlcookie unplugs bot*
[10:03] * Steam (~PircBot@000000) Quit (Quit)
[10:03] <evlcookie> :)
[10:03] <Kritz> lol
[10:03] <Kritz> :(

jambo

cods, could you maybe remove the AusGAF twitter bot from the AusGAF list? I always have AusGAF open so I don't really need my TweetDeck full of "# new posts"

<3

What's the over/under on how long it'll take you to get bored with the Vita and want to sell it off?

Well the 3DS lasted 11 months, so Jan 2013 I'll probably sell my Vita =P

legend166

That's some outstanding work cods, You are one bored son of a bitch.

I think i'm nearly at 60 days available for annual leave. OH YEA! I'm not sure if i'm actually trying to get more just to see how high I can go or if i'm so boring I just don't have any ideas for a holiday. Work are trying to force me into taking some time off too, which is cool and all.

For those Apple lovers. What do you think of 10.8 and what was announced? I like the idea of messages being on your mac, That would be super handy.

I'm still not a fan of iOS slowly moving its way into OSX. I've certainly felt like iOS needs a shakeup in design after android has gotten somewhat more mature and windows 8 actually looking great for tablets.

Yearly updates is also an interesting idea. Wonder how they are going to pull that off.

60 days of annual leave? That's 12 weeks. Ridiculous.

Go travel somewhere man. You just said you'd be willing to lose $2000 on the stock market!

What the hell is a dram
Good advice by the by! Never heard about letting it air before.

My scotch history is buying a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black and Glenmorangie OG.
I drank both neat w/o water but I can't really taste individual flavours yet.
As a poor uni student I'm not buying any regularly. :/

Then moved on to some smokier Islay malts (Ardbeg, Laphroiag and then Lagavulin).

I loved the little taste of some Islay malt I had. mmm smoky

Bye Troy McClure. Hello Dubstep Cat.

<3 dubstep cat

Kritz

Banned
I like Fable 2, but Amalur's combat shits on it from a great height.

Amalur's combat is too slow compared to Fable 2's. It's nice that they give you what is essentially a few of the core attacks from Devil May Cry (you can launch dudes into the air then pummel them with arrows, keeping them up) and not being tied down to a single magic ability without needing to go into a menu is nice.

But it's just missing the speed and fluidity that made Fable 2 so great. You're also not nearly as overpowered, which I found to be an endearing quality of Fable games even if most people throw up their hands and scream "Casual".

Besides, I can't target people's balls in Amalur.

GAMES THAT LET YOU SHOOT DUDES IN THE BALLS:
Fable 2
Fallout 1 and 2
Stranglehold

I DON'T SEE AMALUR ON THIS LIST, DO YOU?

cods, could you maybe remove the AusGAF twitter bot from the AusGAF list? I always have AusGAF open so I don't really need my TweetDeck full of "# new posts"
If I get enough requests to remove it from the list, I will, but your Twitter client ought to be able to block tweets from that individual user or block using the #AusGAF hashtag which I always include.

Deeku

Watching cricket and reading/games, that is if I don't have to stay at work till late.

I am soooo over this working in the real world business!

Edit:

Also, that sucks about your nintendo thing clipper. Hope my 3ds doesn't break!

Stackboy

All of the awesome stuff cod did.

... and I'm spent.

I love you Ausgaf.

ITS FRIDAY AUSGAF!

Happy Friday all!

I am heading out tonight with some mates that have been in Japan for a month. Going to see a mates band.

Working on my sermon which I'm delivering to my church Sunday morning and again Sunday night. Actually pretty pumped for it.

Other than that, some late night BF3 and drinking all the beer in my fridge because I am saving for my US trip in 5 weeks.

Fredescu

You're also not nearly as overpowered
Balance is a fairly common complaint actually. Most people think it's too easy. There are some severely overpowered abilities, like Meteor. Also, there are way more combat options. There weren't even multiple classes or anything in Fable 2, you just did what you did. There are a lot of different combinations available in Amalur.

I don't care much about fluidity in RPG combat. I'd rather it let me customise my toolbox and have diverse enough encounters for these choices to matter.

jambo

If I get enough requests to remove it from the list, I will, but your Twitter client ought to be able to block tweets from that individual user or block using the #AusGAF hashtag which I always include.

Blocking doesn't work, I think because I'm using an external list.

I'll try filtering by #AusGAF, but the problem there is if a legitimate user tweets using AusGAF it will filter it out...

EDIT: nvm, I can filter by users as well, without having to block them. All good now!

EDIT: nvm, I can filter by users as well, without having to block them. All good now!
Good to hear! I've also added a couple of other accounts to the list which may be contentious (Gamespot, Kotaku, OzGameshop, Vooksdotnet). Again, I'll remove them if that's the consensus.

Clipper

Anybody got any spare US Club Nintendo codes? I want to see if I can requalify for platinum status this year on a new account, but I can only get about half-way on my own steam...

hamchan

ITS FRIDAY AUSGAF!

Happy Friday all!

Not going out with friends.
Not going to a party and picking up a girl.
Not having fun.

Probably gonna watch cricket and play SC2 by myself, then read a book.

:-(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
60 days of annual leave? That's 12 weeks. Ridiculous.

Go travel somewhere man. You just said you'd be willing to lose $2000 on the stock market!

Cookie has three months of annual leave, Cookie has savings.

Cookie should blow it all travelling for three months.

Impossibru.

I'm the only one who does my job. As much as i would love to take time off, work is trying to force that on me, there's just always so much shit that needs to be done. 30 minutes ago I thought i was on top of things. I only had laptops to look at and for the rest of the day it was all about paperwork, I just had 61 cartons turn up from dell. So there's Monday and Tuesdays work but there should still be more to come.

Orders are always being put through by the Uni, So it's just a constant influx of machines and monitors, There's never really a break.

I could take time off, Say a week but even that would put things behind and would put the only other guy here (boss) really under the pump. They could get a service guy to come out and do some of the work but there's a good chance they will fuck something up. etc etc etc

Kritz

Banned
Balance is a fairly common complaint actually. Most people think it's too easy. There are some severely overpowered abilities, like Meteor. Also, there are way more combat options. There weren't even multiple classes or anything in Fable 2, you just did what you did. There are a lot of different combinations available in Amalur.

I don't care much about fluidity in RPG combat. I'd rather it let me customise my toolbox and have diverse enough encounters for these choices to matter.

I kinda don't feel that Amalur has more in the way of classes than Fable. Besides picking a card and a star sign, you're still just dumping points into STRENGTH, SKILL and WISDOM. It's just one of the games has a skill tree and the other has a more metered progression.

I've never been one for the MMO skill tree, anyway. Sticking points into an ability that adds a single extra percent into piercing damage or magic resistance or whatever has never been that compelling. I guess that's all fable does, too, but I feel that I would rather have a larger sense of progression per level.

I'm also way more of a fan of "do a thing to get good at it" rather than "buy your way up a skill tree until you're good at it". And Fable did a bit of that, too, but it was kind of the happy medium between the two.

I am going to try to just mainline Amalur, mostly because I hate everything about the world and universe as the most offensively bland fantasy. I fully expect that the game expects you to grind out sidequests before doing the main story, so that'll add a fair bit of challenge most likely. Not that I think the game would benefit from harder enemies.

I'm the only one who does my job. ... I could take time off, Say a week but even that would put things behind and would put the only other guy here (boss) really under the pump.
If you took a couple of months off, you could possibly convince your boss to get someone in for that period of time, taking the load off him.

jambo

Good to hear! I've also added a couple of other accounts to the list which may be contentious (Gamespot, Kotaku, OzGameshop, Vooksdotnet). Again, I'll remove them if that's the consensus.

OzGameShop is a good idea, everyone's always looking for bargains in AusGAF.

I already have Kotaku AU in a gaming list, but it's not too bad. Pretty spread out with all the other tweets in the AusGAF list.

Fredescu

I kinda don't feel that Amalur has more in the way of classes than Fable.
You'd pretty much never bother to replay Fable 2 a different way because you're always going to end up with the same abilities, unless you deliberately ignored one of the three styles. In Amalur it feels like you have to choose a path at the exclusion of a lot of other options. There are also lot more weapons types that act very differently from each other. Also, Chakrams.

I fully expect that the game expects you to grind out sidequests before doing the main story, so that'll add a fair bit of challenge most likely. Not that I think the game would benefit from harder enemies.
It doesn't. If you do all the sidequests you end up outlevelling the overworld. Dungeons are scaled more specifically I think, and those would be the challenging parts. I don't think you'll have any trouble doing that.

Bullplop!
Woah!

Kritz

Banned
yo in fable 2 when surrounded by a bunch of enemies, I can freely attack whomever I want, not who the game wants me to attack.

in amalur, once you start attacking someone it takes forfuckingever for the targeting to drop allowing you to arrow / magic some other guy.

And half the time when I use magic it doesn't even hit the guy I was aiming for - instead it hits some dude off to the side.

Fredescu

In Amalur when I'm surrounded by a bunch of enemies I can light them up with Mark of Flame and explode them all at once. If I don't spec for an AE ability I might have more difficulty.

The (lack of) targeting does kinda suck though.

yo in fable 2 when surrounded by a bunch of enemies, I can freely attack whomever I want, not who the game wants me to attack.

in amalur, once you start attacking someone it takes forfuckingever for the targeting to drop allowing you to arrow / magic some other guy.

And half the time when I use magic it doesn't even hit the guy I was aiming for - instead it hits some dude off to the side.

Bad at the game?

Mine seems to respond perfectly to what i want it to do. I have loved every aspect of what they have done.

Top Bottom