• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (July 2016)
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Visit the summer book club thread hosted by Cyan: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226913

The book for summer is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Via goodreads.com: Set in an addicts' halfway house and a tennis academy, and featuring the most endearingly screwed-up family to come along in recent fiction, Infinite Jest explores essential questions about what entertainment is and why it has come to so dominate our lives; about how our desire for entertainment affects our need to connect with other people; and about what the pleasures we choose say about who we are.

Equal parts philosophical quest and screwball comedy, Infinite Jest bends every rule of fiction without sacrificing for a moment its own entertainment value. It is an exuberant, uniquely American exploration of the passions that make us human—and one of those rare books that renew the idea of what a novel can do.

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes & Noble

Just finished Star Wars Aftermath Life Debt. I liked the first one, but this was all around better in every way. I really enjoyed the story they're laying out, and the teases in the interludes were mostly properly tantalizing. Can't wait to see what
Sheev hid on Jakku.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My picks for August:

KSsqPsg.png
mRyQdVv.jpg
5aVnapi.jpg
pyUveNx.jpg
1OTaT5B.jpg

O Livro de Ouro do Universo (2000), Ronaldo Rogério de Freitas Mourão
1822 (2010), Laurentino Gomes
Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success (2011-written in 1938), Napoleon Hill
Lord of the Flies (1954), William Golding
The Goblin Emperor (2014), Katherine Addison

Trying to read more non-fiction: astronomy (O Livro de Ouro do Universo), Brazilian history (1822) and personal development (Outwitting the Devil).

I actually listened to the first two chapters of an audiobook of Lord of the Flies earlier this year, but I realized I’d prefer to experience it in written form.

And The Goblin Emperor because of the July thread. :p Sounds fun!

Just about finished with 10% Happier by Dan Harris, which has been an excellent and informative memoir that has really helped me with my approach to mediation.

I'm almost finished with Chamber of Secrets in my annual Harry Potter series re-read, it's probably still my least favorite one in the series.

Also, I bough The Girls and Modern Romance on sale today. Hoping to start those soon.

Pau

Finished Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary. It was a good blend of Indian and British history. Went into way too much detail at times but at the same time it was neat that the biographer could do that.

Now reading Penric and the Shaman. I have such a bad memory or just read too much. It's hard to keep track of so many ongoing series. I forget so many details.

Falchion

Just finished reading The Last Wish which is a collection of short stories, and the beginning of the Witcher books. I enjoyed Witcher 3's plot and lore so much I went to the source materials and it wasn't a disappointment. Now I've just got to decide if I want to jump right into book 2 or take a break and read some Bond novels.

e48Gh4f.jpg

GYODX

English:

I Wrote This For You by Iain S. Thomas
bmgrM9F.jpg

Spanish:

Hija De La Fortuna (Daughter Of Fortune) by Isabel Allende
daughter-es.jpg

Japanese:

Ningen Shikkaku (No Longer Human) by Osamu Dazai
41YvrNBNWrL.jpg

Reading The Dressmaker since I saw the movie last month. The changes are interesting, but I think it's harder to keep track of people since it seems like they've combined some characters for the film.

The making of the atomic bomb by Richard Rhodes.

Thick science and a thick book for my tastes. Still very fascinating. My first non fiction book

Arenesus

Neo Member
About a quarter of the way through Gridlinked (Agent Cormac #1), enjoying it so far but it hasn't quite got its hooks in me yet.

98046.jpg

Typhares

Yesterday I started and finished the first book of the Dresden Files and I enjoyed it so I'll be carrying on with the next book.

The making of the atomic bomb by Richard Rhodes.

Thick science and a thick book for my tastes. Still very fascinating. My first non fiction book

That is a WHOPPER to make your first non-fiction read. Man, as readers go, I'm as stubborn as they come, and as much as I love science, the chemistry/physics portion of the book is fairly brutal, imho. I almost skipped over it, but then ultimately stalled out on the read as a whole. I need to go back...

Read the Challion books and thoroughly enjoyed them. The theology/magic system grew on me, as did the language changes (Roya/Royina/Royen/Royesse) the 3rd book is definitely the weakest. The use of the flat-pack medieval template of 95% of other fantasy novels and an entire world about the size of France (like 80% of them) always annoys, but her characterisation lifts her above the crowd, and her storytelling serves it well..

Next up are ...

Piercing by Ryu Murakami

and 3 books by Ha Jin

Waiting, Nanjing Requiem, and War Trash

TTG

That is a WHOPPER to make your first non-fiction read. Man, as readers go, I'm as stubborn as they come, and as much as I love science, the chemistry/physics portion of the book is fairly brutal, imho. I almost skipped over it, but then ultimately stalled out on the read as a whole. I need to go back...

I had the opposite experience. Coming off A Brief History Of Time, which does a very poor job of explaining nuclear physics, I was so ready for someone to walk me through all of it from the beginning and that's exactly what this book did. It's when he transitioned to logistics and military/ethical problems that I found it less engaging.

I promised myself I would one day at least attempt to read the sequel about hydrogen bombs. There's suppose to be espionage!

Forgot to update ..

Currently reading Nobody's Fool by Russo. I'm about 70% through and quite enjoyable. Much like Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sully is great to observe but sure would be a pain in the ass to be around. Does anyone know if this book has connections with Empire Falls at all? (shared characters, locations, etc)

Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo

ngower

Haven't been able to finish anything in a while. Partly because I'm distracted by everything all the time and partly because I'm moving soon. But I decided to treat myself with a few book buys yesterday for my birthday.

Started reading Call Me By Your Name and I suspect I'll enjoy it. Engrossing and well written from the early goings.

Townie, on the other hand, looks like it's going to be an experiment in self-loathing as that books just oozes with despair.

Cade

Well instead of getting more sleep, I spent the last seven hours reading the last 600 pages of The Fireman. I liked it quite a bit but that ending. Fucking yikes. Not a fan, really. Caught quite a few good references that were subtle though most of them were brick to face obvious. I like Hill but I hope he makes something nore unique next... Or does his own Salem's Lot.

Blitzed through A Sense of an Ending, but I can't say I really cared for it. I have a pet peeve when authors/characters lay the themes on thick. When every other section ends with, essentially, "Well those were my memories. They might be wrong, maybe." I end up going "Ok, I get it. Move on."

I'd still recommend it for the beautiful writing and great characterization, but it's a rather tempered recommendation.

Still reading A Game Of Thrones :(

It has been slow going. But'm like 90% done. Might finish it this week. I'm really enjoying the battle scenes in the book. A lot more richer than what was on the show the 1st season.

Just finished reading The Last Wish which is a collection of short stories, and the beginning of the Witcher books. I enjoyed Witcher 3's plot and lore so much I went to the source materials and it wasn't a disappointment. Now I've just got to decide if I want to jump right into book 2 or take a break and read some Bond novels.

e48Gh4f.jpg

Might read this next. I got the Spanish version.

effzee

Finished Amazonia - was alright don't think I liked the reveal and thus the overall book that much.

Starting Goblin Emperor today. HP 8 next.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tried again to read the final book of the Malazan series. Again I failed. It's just such a chore to read. I wish he had limited the number of characters. It's just too many.

Instead I am reading Dead Wake, a nonfiction book about the Lusitania sinking 100 years ago. Fascinating book.

How do i subcribe to the thread on mobile?
I'm pretty sure that subscriptions are automatically applied when you reply.

Additionally, in Control Panel -> Edit Options there's this block:
Default Thread Subscription Mode
When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
With a drop down menu so you can be emailed when a thread you've subscribed to updates.

Pazu

is the new harry potter book any good?

It is utterly fantastic. It's a play in book form, though. It still manages to capture the wonder and depth of the original series while passing the torch from the original characters to the new generation. If you liked the Harry Potter books it's essential.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just finished "American Gods".

I fricken hate this book. I dont get how its so loved. I was actually glad its over so I can move onto something else (Everyone kept telling me to wait till the end so the whole story made sense, BS the ending is predictable as all hell and boring to boot).

Just an absolute drudge to read through. So many sections of long winded stories of gods coming to america that killed the pacing. The "gods" were silly in them selves, some of the descriptions were just eye role worthy.

sasliquid

I'm about 200 pages into the first wheel of time book, it's very derivative of Tolkien plot wise so far and already pretty slow (gods help me if I ever get to the latter books) but it seems pretty Kool, I'll try reading the first 2/3 before trying something else for a bit (probly Iain m banks' excession)

Woorloog

Banned
I'm about 200 pages into the first wheel of time book, it's very derivative of Tolkien plot wise so far and already pretty slow (gods help me if I ever get to the latter books) but it seems pretty Kool, I'll try reading the first 2/3 before trying something else for a bit (probly Iain m banks' excession)

The first book is not the best one certainly. Very traditional fantasy. Things start getting way more interesting in the second book.

EDIT That said, I think even the first book is rather different from Tolkien's stories. It does follow the traditional Hero's Journey certainly, and the basic fantasy tropes are there. But there's also considerably amount of set ups for later books (one reason i cannot suggest just starting from Book 2).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It is utterly fantastic. It's a play in book form, though. It still manages to capture the wonder and depth of the original series while passing the torch from the original characters to the new generation. If you liked the Harry Potter books it's essential.

I'll buy it now, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom