• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 60 people lose their job at Warner Bros. (Seattle area)

Kifimbo

From George Broussard:

'Tis the season. Warner Brothers Games lays off 60ish across multiple Seattle studios. Good luck, guys.

http://twitter.com/#!/georgeb3dr/status/132573385602510848

Monolith, Snowblind Studios and another studio are located there. Snowblind is probably the main target since LotR: War in the North was just launched.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Good luck indeed.

The LotR game was sent to die and isn't as good as it seemed on previews, so that wasn't really unexpected, unfortunately.

ipukespiders said:
Broussard's comment seems kinda smartass like.
I didn't get that impression.

ipukespiders said:

It's not in the least bit, it's meant to shame the publishers who are laying people off a couple of months before Christmas, which fucking sucks.

P90

It looks like the Bush/Obama stimulus bills are not and have not been working, obviously.

[Nintex]

Salmonax said:
Yep - all the big Q4 titles hit, and the studios trim the ranks. What a rough industry to be in.
The season is going to be terrible, so many bomba's already and games like Rage which underperformed. Luckily some companies like EA, Sega and Square Enix/Eidos have started to hire more people but when you look at the financial results for Sony, THQ and others I wouldn't want to work for those companies. Also, Microsoft has tied the future of Rare to the succes or failure of Kinect Sports 2 if it doesn't do well enough the Twycross location will be shut down.

Gattsu25

Banned
No way is George the bad guy in this situation. It's shameful that a company would lay off so many people in this time of year.
P90 said:
It looks like the Bush/Obama stimulus bills are not and have not been working, obviously.

inky

crimsonheadGCN said:
Most likely those who were hired to help finish LotR.

I don't get it then. If the people get hired to pull through on a specific project, they should've been expecting this, right? I mean, it's not like it doesn't suck to be out of a job, I don't mean that in the slightest, but sometimes it sounds like it is completely unexpected that a lot of people won't be needed after a game ships. Are they not informed beforehand that they will be employed up to that day and then (probably) there will be talks of a more permanent position or something? Or are most of these people oblivious to the fact, and suddenly they come in to work on a Friday and are summoned to an office by their bosses and let go just like that because, guess what, game underperformed on its first week?

Like I said, I don't get it.

Spokker

Do they have a surge of hiring before the holidays in order to finish games in time for the Christmas shopping season? When the games are done you don't need the extra help.

A lot of companies hire extra help in anticipation of the holidays and then let them go later.

Ravidrath

This really sucks.

While the scores aren't really what they should be for a game that's been in development this long, ultimately Warner Bros. was just stupid to release the game right now.

This is a really packed holiday season, and rushing an RPG out right before Skyrim is just suicide.

The Boat

inky said:
I don't get it then. If the people get hired to pull through on a specific project, they should've been expecting this, right? I mean, it's not like it doesn't suck to be out of a job, I don't mean that in the slightest, but sometimes it sounds like it is completely unexpected that a lot of people won't be needed after a game ships. Are they not informed beforehand that they will be employed up to that day and then (probably) there will be talks of a more permanent position or something? Or are most of these people oblivious to the fact, and suddenly they come in to work on a Friday and are summoned to an office by their bosses and let go just like that because, guess what, game underperformed on its first week?

Where does it say they weren't expecting it?
Chances are, some people are in this situation (hired temporarily), but not all of them.

inky said:
I don't get it then. If the people get hired to pull through on a specific project, they should've been expecting this, right? I mean, it's not like it doesn't suck to be out of a job, I don't mean that in the slightest, but sometimes it sounds like it is completely unexpected that a lot of people won't be needed after a game ships. Are they not informed beforehand that they will be employed up to that day and then (probably) there will be talks of a more permanent position or something? Or are most of these people oblivious to the fact, and suddenly they come in to work on a Friday and are summoned to an office by their bosses and let go just like that?

Some games get continued long-term support, so even temporary staff will not be given contracts which terminate when the game goes gold so that they'll be around to work on DLC and patches. A good example would be that the mass layoffs at Obsidian didn't happen until the New Vegas DLC was all production ready.

On the other hand, if the launch doesn't meet expectations, the publisher might decide not to bother with funding long-term support and can all the contractors and people who have been around the least amount of time.

Ravidrath

Spokker said:
Do they have a surge of hiring before the holidays in order to finish games in time for the Christmas shopping season? When the games are done you don't need the extra help.

A lot of companies hire extra help in anticipation of the holidays and then let them go later.

There was no temp hiring in this situation - anyone that was brought on to help it get out the door was just temporarily transferred from another team.

[Nintex]

Ravidrath said:
There was no temp hiring in this situation - anyone that was brought on to help it get out the door was just temporarily transferred from another team.
It usually goes like this:

Team A works on fall game
Team B works on next spring/summer game
Team C works on next fall game

Team B has to help out Team A to meet their deadline.
Team B's project is left with a skeleton crew.

The fall game bombs and money is lost, management starts to look at Team B's game but because Team B only has a couple of guys left progress is slow and the project won't meet the projected deadline. Team B's game is cancelled and the staff fired. Team A and C merge to make sure the same shit won't happen with the next fall game.

inky

The Boat said:
Where does it say they weren't expecting it?
Chances are, some people are in this situation (hired temporarily), but not all of them.

It doesn't, that is why I am asking. If 60 people are under contract and informed that they won't be needed after the game ships (because that is the kind of job they were hired for) it is completely different than "hey, 60 people just got laid off a month before Christmas, industry sucks" don't you think?
Like I said, that is why I am asking because both situations are completely different to me.

TheExodu5

Banned
If people were hired just to finish up a project, why were they not on contract? Or does "letting 60 employees" go just mean their contracts weren't renewed?

If you're under contract for a project you wouldn't be expected to stay beyond that unless they need you on another project. Most people will have work lined up ahead of time in this situation.

Ravidrath

I posted above that there weren't contractors hired to finish the game. These were all long-term employees.

My source is our producer, who just left there.

Kifimbo

Ravidrath said:
I posted above that there weren't contractors hired to finish the game. These were all long-term employees.

My source is our producer, who just left there.

Can you give more details ? Are they all from Snowblind ? Are many people are left ?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont even understand how this industry is sustainable for anybody. I mean you have a handful of devs that employ maybe 100-200 people and if you get laid off you are basically forced to move to another state if you want to keep working on actual games.

Flavius

~Kinggi~ said:
I dont even understand how this industry is sustainable for anybody. I mean you have a handful of devs that employ maybe 100-200 people and if you get laid off you are basically forced to move to another state if you want to keep working on actual games.

Seen it with me own two eyes, I have! Unless you're in a spot with a number of dev studios close by, then yeppers, time to pack up the cat, toaster, and significant other, and head to Who-ville!

Kifimbo

~Kinggi~ said:

That's why many studios are in the same states/provinces. California, Texas (Austin), Florida, Massachusetts, Washington, British Columbia, Quebec, etc.

soultron

Banned
ipukespiders said:
Holiday releases have wrapped up. I don't see what's smartass about it at all.

Best of luck to those affected. Keep your chins up!

bluemax

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:

Its not. The company I worked for went out of business a year ago and the vast majority of the employees no longer work in the games industry. And most of the employees were let go a year before the company went under.

Out of 45 or so employees I'd say at most 10 of them still work in the games industry and off the top of my head 4 of them relocated, 3 to other countries.

Zizbuka

Banned
Please leave Monolith alone. They need to get started on NOLF3. :)

And Sanity: Aiken's Artifact 2...................

P90 said:

1) Leave politics to OT
2) Don't talk about stuff when you have no idea what you're talking about
3) If sarcastic........why?

GavinGT

Banned
What is George Broussard doing at the center of all this?

demosthenes said:
1) Leave politics to OT
2) Don't talk about stuff when you have no idea what you're talking about
3) If sarcastic........why?

You're sounding more like Locke than Demonsthenes.

~Kinggi~

Banned
bluemax said:
Its not. The company I worked for went out of business a year ago and the vast majority of the employees no longer work in the games industry. And most of the employees were let go a year before the company went under.

Out of 45 or so employees I'd say at most 10 of them still work in the games industry and off the top of my head 4 of them relocated, 3 to other countries.
Im curious, where do people end up? Does everyone scatter to completely different trades or do the developers end up as devs on other software, and artists end up as graphic or visual artists for tv and film?

~Kinggi~ said:
Im curious, where do people end up? Does everyone scatter to completely different trades or do the developers end up as devs on other software, and artists end up as graphic or visual artists for tv and film?

depends on which town they're in and what else is left in the industry

Seattle has lots of devs so there are at least options for many, not to discount Vancouver.

Some places have next to no other developers or comparable industries, that's when you start packing your shit and moving elsewhere (if you can).

Good luck to all.

Furio53

Being a game dev can be tough, but it can be great too. I've lived in Austin, Dallas, San Diego, Tokyo and now LA. While Ive felt quite nomadic, I've gotten to experience quite a few different areas.

element

crimsonheadGCN said:
Most likely those who were hired to help finish LotR.
no. i have many friends who have been part of Monolith for over six years that were hit today.

All were full time. Monolith/Snowblind/Surreal had very little temp staff. Those positions are also schedule to go off the books and technically not part of a 'layoff'. You don't layoff someone that is scheduled to end their employment. Layoffs or reduction in force (RIF) is when there is a budget decision to cut staff that are on your books.

Please let the Monolith staff be ok.
I know of at least five classic Monolith staffers who were hit.

WB merged three different studios, moved them all into the same build. Shifted staff around, Monolith person works on War of the North, or on another game. Over 200 people on staff. Sadly it was just a ballon waiting to pop.

Sadly, the studios you knew as Snowblind and Monolith are dead. Now you have WB Seattle.

In times of layoffs in Seattle, most land on their feet in the area. You have Valve, 343, Turn10, Sucker Punch, Bungie, 5th Cell, ArenaNet, Good Science, Kudo's NextGen Team at MS, PopCap, Undead Labs, Zipper, Zombie, and others. We as a game community also have two meet ups a month. So there is a fair amount of inner city networking as well.

George Broussard has a lot of contacts in the industry and a lot of departures are first brought up on his Twitter.

element said:
no. i have many friends who have been part of Monolith for over six years that were hit today.

All were full time. Monolith/Snowblind/Surreal had very little temp staff. Those positions are also schedule to go off the books and technically not part of a 'layoff'. You don't layoff someone that is scheduled to end their employment. Layoffs or reduction in force (RIF) is when there is a budget decision to cut staff that are on your books.

I know of at least five classic Monolith staffers who were hit.

WB merged three different studios, moved them all into the same build. Shifted staff around, Monolith person works on War of the North, or on another game. Over 200 people on staff. Sadly it was just a ballon waiting to pop.

Sadly, the studios you knew as Snowblind and Monolith are dead. Now you have WB Seattle.

In times of layoffs in Seattle, most land on their feet in the area. You have Valve, 343, Turn10, Sucker Punch, Bungie, 5th Cell, ArenaNet, Good Science, Kudo's NextGen Team at MS, PopCap, Undead Labs, Zipper, Zombie, and others. We as a game community also have two meet ups a month. So there is a fair amount of inner city networking as well.
Shit. :(

ReaperXL7

Just out of curiosity is there any major publisher who has not had big layoffs on in house development staff, after a title is released? I can't remember Sony every laying off teams from their first party, but it's possible i'm wrong. Sadly stuff like this seems like it's just par for the course, in the game development world.

Flavius

ReaperXL07 said:
Just out of curiosity is there any major publisher who has not had big layoffs on in house development staff, after a title is released? I can't remember Sony every laying off teams from their first party, but it's possible i'm wrong. Sadly stuff like this seems like it's just par for the course, in the game development world.

SOE got hit pretty hard earlier this year.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
element said:

Reading this seriously just broke my heart.

RIP Monolith.

EDarkness

This is why I'm not in the game industry anymore. There's no job security at all. They lay people off without even blinking an eye. We were always worried that one day we were going to be out of a job and eventually, it happened. I feel bad for those who lost their jobs so close to Christmas. Game companies are pretty heartless entities, in my opinion.

Top Bottom