• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 60 people lose their job at Warner Bros. (Seattle area)

Demoskinos

All this while WB makes money hand over fist from Batman:Arkham City. But I have yet to see this anywhere else.... is this even official yet?

Ravidrath

Demoskinos said:
Damn. Guess I'll never get that 3rd Condemned game. =(

I don't think those games did well, anyway, so it was probably unlikely.

As far as I've heard, most or all of these layoffs affected the "Snowblind" team, because LotR:WitN is what just shipped and, presumably, underperformed.

ReaperXL7

Flavius said:
SOE got hit pretty hard earlier this year.

Right forgot about that, but if I'm not mistaken SOE is not technically first party right( I thought there were basically a subsidy like Ericsson)? Also if I'm not mistaken that was because they had finished up DC Universe which is pretty normal for MMO teams to drop staff after launch.

This is always sad news, I was not happy with the way Snowblind handled War in the north, but I hate seeing good devs lose their jobs, and devs for that matter.

Ravidrath

BTW, for what it's worth, I'm not too worried about the people that were laid off.

Of course it sucks for them, but there are a ton of studios in the area up there now. Artists and programmers are in high demand everywhere, but especially in Seattle.

There were some talented people on War in the North, too, and it was pretty obvious to everyone. Within hours of the announcement I had a handful of people ask me if I know people up there that they should hire for openings they had in both Seattle and Los Angeles.

I don't know anyone there, but I'll be sending them to my producer so she can recommend some of the better ones.

Flavius

nephilimdj said:
Sadly with Monolith making Gotham City Impostors, its not too surprising :(

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to check out what in the hell that game is all about. My perception of what it was based on the screenshots and video was quite different from the admittedly minimal preview coverage I've read more recently.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm sad for the people who lost their jobs, but tbh I don't think I could ever forgive Monolith for killing the Blood IP with the completely godawful Blood 2. Still, hope the ones who lost their jobs manage to land new jobs ASAP.

My avatar has been changed in memoriam. I have guests this evening so I think I might spring a bit of Bloodbath LAN party action on them.

element

but tbh I don't think I could ever forgive Monolith for killing the Blood IP with the completely godawful Blood 2.
Don't blame Monolith for killing the Blood IP. Blame fans for not buying it or asking for it AND blame GT for cutting nine months from the Blood 2 schedule.

Wow, this is awful. War in the North must have really bombed. I didn't see it reach top 3 in the Top 10 Steam sellers list when it came out and usually any full price release with even a moderate amount of hype and interest reaches the top 3. This is terrible, such a great game. I hope this doesn't mean the end of post-launch support and potential patches.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Not to be an ass, but if this is used by WB or any Pro-Corporate GAF that devs got closed due to used sales or the evil Gamestop, I'm gonna be pissed

All these new Mega-Publishers are following the Activision route of years past

Keep the bloat for a year, give them a title that will fail or not generate enough sales, release it in a jam packed release schedule, then 1 week later close up shop
Blame low sales on those dirty used/pre-owned sales, and get the developers to come running saying they tried but no one bought their game
Can't wait for next year dev close out, I think EA is up next, Activ & WB had their November one and done scenario
(If you haven't figured it out it's almost a carbon copy of 007 BloodStone + Bizzare Creations)

Spokker

To be fair, there was no gala when they hired all these people in the first place. The reality is that losing something is much worse than getting it is good.

There was a lot of press when McDonald's was hiring people recently, but the angle was that it was really awful that so many people were fighting for scarce McDonald's positions.

element

Heavy said:
Wow, this is awful. War in the North must have really bombed. I didn't see it reach top 3 in the Top 10 Steam sellers list when it came out and usually any full price release with even a moderate amount of hype and interest reaches the top 3. This is terrible, such a great game. I hope this doesn't mean the end of post-launch support and potential patches.
It has little to do with the sales of War in the North. It is just studio economics. Which is sad, since I know a good amount of the people who were laid off today. You have three companies, Monolith (3 game teams and tech team), Snowblind (2 teams and tech team when bought), and Surreal (1 game team). Merge all those studios together and have them work on only three games? Just too many bodies and redundancies.

element

scitek said:
What's Monolith, or were they, working on now?
The FEAR core team is working on Gotham City Imposters and what is left of FEAR 2 and Condemend teams is working on an unannounced project.

element

aznpxdd said:
Damn, no more Monolith? Such an underrated developer. NOLF1 & 2, AvP2 and F.E.A.R. are all great games.
Monolith is still there technically. There is still a team full of people who have been there for years and years, going all the way back to Shogo. It is just a naming thing. Monolith and Snowblind as a label or brand will probably go away.

Mooreberg

I had some concerns about Monolith when the only thing announced in 2.5+ years since F.E.A.R. 2 was a downloadable Batman themed shooter. NOLF, Condemned, Blood, and the first F.E.A.R. were all great.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
element said:
Don't blame Monolith for killing the Blood IP. Blame fans for not buying it or asking for it AND blame GT for cutting nine months from the Blood 2 schedule.

I can't really blame fans for not buying it, as Blood 2 just wasn't a good game. Could it have been a better game with more development time? Maybe. But I honestly doubt it, as they took away most of the things that made the first one so good, and I don't think nine more months would've been enough to scrap the game as it was and make a new game from scratch. That said, I'd buy a Blood 3 day 1 if they made a new game that was closer to the original.

Warner Bros., how about using some of all the cash the recent Batman games made you, and make a Blood 3? You could even license the Build Engine for cheap. Please?

TheOddOne

element said:
In times of layoffs in Seattle, most land on their feet in the area. You have Valve, 343, Turn10, Sucker Punch, Bungie, 5th Cell, ArenaNet, Good Science, Kudo's NextGen Team at MS, PopCap, Undead Labs, Zipper, Zombie, and others. We as a game community also have two meet ups a month. So there is a fair amount of inner city networking as well.
Not to go a tad too offtopic, because the loss of these people's jobs is terrible but whats this? I thought Kudo was president (or something) of Good Science.

Aselith

I loved all of the Monolith games I played. :( Sorry to hear they got hit by this that really sucks. One of the best teams in the industry.

Kerrby

Banned
Flavius said:
SOE got hit pretty hard earlier this year.

That was always expected though.

The Agency getting cancelled.
Free Realms still being complete arse and finally getting on the PS3.
DC Universe Online only having enough content for one month so the numbers dropped off hugely.
Then security breach happened.

Still a huge shame though.

Safe Bet

Banned
element said:
Sadly, the studios you knew as Snowblind and Monolith are dead. Now you have WB Seattle.

I played the Dark Alliance and Champions games for HOURS and HOURS.

THANK YOU SNOWBLIND!

:_-(

Does this affect Gotham Imposters? It's likely to the be last FPS we get from the core Monolith team and it'd suck if they decided to can it. :(

Really sucks that they shuttered Monolith. No more Condemned and No-One Lives Forever. :(

Jhriad

element said:
Sadly, the studios you knew as Snowblind and Monolith are dead. Now you have WB Seattle.

:'(

THANK YOU SNOWBLIND!

^This. War in the North is good fun so far as well. Best of luck to the Monolith folks as well. <3 FEAR 2 & Condemned 2.

gnomed

Safe Bet said:

THANK YOU SNOWBLIND!

:_-(

Will repeat the same sentiments. Strange, how I was just reading the OT about the new LOTR just now, coming from Snowblind. Good luck landing back on your feet for those affected.

element

Really sucks that they shuttered Monolith. No more Condemned and No-One Lives Forever. :(
Let me make this clear. Monolith and Snowblind aren't shutting down. WB appears to simply be consolidating their development effort in Seattle in a single location. Sadly there is redundancy when you merge multiple teams into a single building.
There are still lots of people at the studio who worked on Shogo, FEAR, NOLF, Condemned.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Shame to hear about the consolidation (although in the end it probably keeps more people in work) - I wonder if this was on the cards when Geithman left Snowblind?

But to Tina and co., I've always dug Snowblind's hack-and-slashes, wish the Vivendi game could have seen the light of day, and I picked up War in the North gladly. Shine on.

Hopefully WB Seattle will see the value in letting Snowblind and Monolith live on as brands, at least. And Surreal, too - in these post-Uncharted/New Tomb Raider times the world could use another Drakan.

Sucks royally.

WitN was sent to die with an 11-1-11 release date as far as I'm concerned, but it's so much worse knowing that we'll never see bug fixes, DLC, or another title. Some detailed in-game explanations of systems, more options, a nonlinear hub, better advertising, and a non-suicidal release date could have added up to a great sequel. Now we're just left with yet another fragmented former team and good folks looking for work.

params7

Banned
LoTR:WiTN is awesome. Definitely the best LoTR game to date. Could have gotten more hype if it didn't release right in the middle of other giant games.

Top Bottom