• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UPs PC Podcast now has a name... (11/06/08)

Not much to say except I thought it was another great episode.

The talk about what class (male/female) do most people play as got me thinking. I always pick a Male class, usually a magic user or medic, but the one time I played as a female was in PSO for the Dreamcast.

I created the shortest, cutest, elf girl ever and made really corny smiley cards to use during battles. People kept dropping leveled up mags, swords, and rare items for me because I said I was a girl. I began to feel dirty like I was cheating so I'm glad my VMU crashed and I lost that one character. After that I went back to a male FOnewm for all future versions.

undrtakr900

Based on previous episodes LAN Party is now my favorite new podcast right up there with Brodeo/1upY in their prime and stays consistently hilarious:lol Not only that it caused many weird looks when I start laughing(or snort-fake-laugh-into-cough) when listening in public commutes.

Also we need some Good Grief videos asap, it sounds awesome!:lol

LCfiner said:
LAN Party
ZealousD said:
comeau-2.jpg
:lol I agree

I remember few episodes ago, when I added the file to WMP it said "Ryan Scott's Point and Click Adventure", I thought that was funny:D

Flavius

Baha said:
I doubt that, he's bragged about his comic collection & game collection (when asked of course). He doesn't play a lot of new PC games, if this were legendary thread you'd see how talkative he can be. What he needs to do is branch out into more PC genres or play more games besides WoW.

Now it's feeling more like the old GFW threads.

Brilliant! :lol :lol :lol

I miss the brodeo. These guys don't rip on each other as hilariously as the original teamup did. There's always this awkwardness with this podcast--I dunno. It feels weird.

It's like sleeping with someone you don't have any intellectual connection with--the act is still there, getting done, but it's not nearly as fun, and there's a lot less to look forward to.

LCfiner

JzeroT1437 said:
I miss the brodeo. These guys don't rip on each other as hilariously as the original teamup did. There's always this awkwardness with this podcast--I dunno. It feels weird.

It's like sleeping with someone you don't have any intellectual connection with--the act is still there, getting done, but it's not nearly as fun, and there's a lot less to look forward to.

this thread is now starting to creep me the fuck out. :lol

CzarTim

bistromathics said:
Sometimes I get the impression that Ryan is embarrassed about video game culture and the fact that he works at a gaming site

I think he secretly wishes he worked in an academic field of some sort...yet he works at 1up (which is not bad)

I remember him talking about going to Ren Faire or something like that

This might be the reason for his constant silence and his sometimes pompous attitude
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Bravo sir, bravo.

LordAzrael said:
No dude, bistromathics is making fun of this one moronic gaffer who posted that very same post in like three different gfw radio threads, only it was about Shawn. Luckily he was ridiculed into leaving with the last time.
I thought we determined that it was Rory?

Trevor360

Banned
oh, btw Robert, that 20 I sent you is counterfeit. I hope you don't still have it your wallet, I have already called the authorities

Nizz

minc said:
I'm gonna continue to call it X-(13+y)
Really liked hearing your impressions on Mirror's Edge. I played the PS3 demo and I fell in love with it. But I was kinda afraid of the length of the game. The game still looks fantastic, and it brings something new to first person games overall. But I may pick it up a little later down the road on sale or something. Robert's song at the end kicked ass too! :lol :lol

Mindlog

Sanjay said:
Anyone have the link to the gamegirl article that outraged tina?

http://www.womengamers.com/articles/editorials/exploitation-female-gamers-contest/

I have no idea.

My old Tribes boner won't go away >:\ I may even be tempted to try Legions, but a lot of what made Tribes fun for me were the teams and community.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8681131305708867377
17 minutes in. The video has a bit too much 'story' for my tastes, but the part at the end. Goddamn. Shoutcasts were fun as hell. old school nerd boner

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Robert Ashley said:
Finally, an excuse for my Jefferson on the $20 comment.
I knew something seemed off about that but I didn't know exactly what. :lol

Flavius

pandaeskimo said:

There are some good kernels of thought in there, but even knowing what little I know of this industry (which, sadly, is probably much more than the average person, yet still far less than the average GAF'er), I can fill in the blanks enough to see where she is coming from.

That said, I also think Tina gave her some solid constructive criticism.

I'll be honest, I had no idea who she was until now, so I did what I always do when I need to fill my stupid head with knowledge: I rushed to the internet! Googled the name and whaddayaknow? Some rather saucy pics appear of her baring her midriff and hiking up the miniskirt a bit in what appears to be some sort of Guitar Hero photoshoot.

I'm not judging. If I still worked out like a madman like I did back in college, I might be subjecting you all to multiple pics of my hairy, yet rock-hard abdominals. That said, perception is reality, and the talk about girls and the games they play could...I stress could...be taken as a bit hypocritical by some people, fairly or not.

bathala

Banned
i was waiting for full down Fallout 3 discussion. Only Bobito played it. FAIL.

come on. I want full blown Fallout 3 discussion

Flavius

bathala said:

If they don't remedy that soon, I'm going to recommend they get John Davison to make a guest appearance so MaxChill will have someone to talk to.

Akia

You know what would be awesome. If Jeff, Shawn, Ryan, Sean or Robert would play L4D together and record the audio or video of their session. It would be hilarious.

Salazar

Akia said:
You know what would be awesome. If Jeff, Shawn, Ryan, Sean or Robert would play L4D together and record the audio or video of their session. It would be hilarious.

Awesome idea. Like when Penny Arcade recorded their D&D.

bathala

Banned
Flavius said:
If they don't remedy that soon, I'm going to recommend they get John Davison to make a guest appearance so MaxChill will have someone to talk to.
I agree have a guest appearance beside the female gaming this podcast felt like last week's podcast.
the old brodeo have little game discussion too, but I like Chuff and Shawn's geeky stories; also Jeff's

minc

bathala said:

I have the lunchbox sitting right here, taunting me! I won't play it until I can get my jawesome new rig together. I think I'll be able to do L4D though with the deets turned down a bit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
minc said:
I have the lunchbox sitting right here, taunting me! I won't play it until I can get my jawesome new rig together. I think I'll be able to do L4D though with the deets turned down a bit.
Gotta post some pics when it's constructed.

Pewp

bistromathics said:
Sometimes I get the impression that Ryan is embarrassed about video game culture and the fact that he works at a gaming site

I think he secretly wishes he worked in an academic field of some sort...yet he works at 1up (which is not bad)

I remember him talking about going to Ren Faire or something like that

This might be the reason for his constant silence and his sometimes pompous attitude

I can't believe I missed this. This post right here is the proper transition from GFW to LAN. Out with the old!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
minc said:

try having a jawsome rig with a busted ass psu that screams I'M FUCKING UP YOUR BEAUTIFUL INSIDES whenever you run a 3d app for more than 30 minutes, and enduring a solid MONTH of various douchewad mail order companies foiling your attempts to purchase a replacement.

but who cares anyway - pc gaming is dead, wow killed it. john davision just told me on 1up yours. pack your things guys.

Flavius

Akia said:

Not sure how much editing would be involved, but yeah, that sounds pretty damn awesome.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Flavius said:
There are some good kernels of thought in there, but even knowing what little I know of this industry (which, sadly, is probably much more than the average person, yet still far less than the average GAF'er), I can fill in the blanks enough to see where she is coming from.

That said, I also think Tina gave her some solid constructive criticism.

I'll be honest, I had no idea who she was until now, so I did what I always do when I need to fill my stupid head with knowledge: I rushed to the internet! Googled the name and whaddayaknow? Some rather saucy pics appear of her baring her midriff and hiking up the miniskirt a bit in what appears to be some sort of Guitar Hero photoshoot.

I'm not judging. If I still worked out like a madman like I did back in college, I might be subjecting you all to multiple pics of my hairy, yet rock-hard abdominals. That said, perception is reality, and the talk about girls and the games they play could...I stress could...be taken as a bit hypocritical by some people, fairly or not.

You are exactly right about her hypocrisy. I always viewed her and her kind (there are many like her) as the main problem with girl gamers. They always whine about not being taken seriously and being called attention whores, yet they're posting pin-up photos and underwear shots and lapping up the attention. Plus in general I find these guuuurl gamers to be annoying. They're constantly in your face flaunting their gender as if that makes them special in any way. I know plenty of girls in real life who play games and don't think much about it. These guuurl gamers invest too heavily in the belief that female gamers are rare and subsequently special, but apparently in their circles that's true because evidently they have enablers giving them the response they desire.

Anyway, not to get nasty, but I have a suspicion most of these guuurl gamers have insecurity issues. They weren't with the in-group at school with the popular girls and couldn't get attention from the guys so they became girl gamers as their shtick and now have online popularity.

Sanjay

SnowWolf said:
You are exactly right about her hypocrisy. I always viewed her and her kind (there are many like her) as the main problem with girl gamers. They always whine about not being taken seriously and being called attention whores, yet they're posting pin-up photos and underwear shots and lapping up the attention. Plus in general I find these guuuurl gamers to be annoying. They're constantly in your face flaunting their gender as if that makes them special in any way. I know plenty of girls in real life who play games and don't think much about it. These guuurl gamers invest too heavily in the belief that female gamers are rare and subsequently special, but apparently in their circles that's true because evidently they have enablers giving them the response they desire.

Anyway, not to get nasty, but I have a suspicion most of these guuurl gamers have insecurity issues. They weren't with the in-group at school with the popular girls and couldn't get attention from the guys so they became girl gamers as their shtick and now have online popularity.

Woman in the games industry are in a no win situation.

sikkinixx

JzeroT1437 said:

Agreed. I like the show but it doesn't feel quite right. Thank christ Bob Ashley is still around.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
The talk about girl gamers getting territorial with each other sort of mirrored what I've heard about how foreigners living in Japan treat each other with that same mindset of hositility.

big_z

The gamegirl article is retarded. Bitching about how girl gamers give themselves a bad rep because they act like attention whoring bitches is fine and all but i dont see how the writer of the article is any better than the girls she's pointing out. In fact she is the type of girl gamer she's complaining about.

Look at her profile pics for fuck sake:
Raychul-7.jpg
Raychul-10.jpg

But hey im sure the article gets her a lot of attention.

Peru

Come on dudes, the Lisa Miskovsky vocal version of the Mirror's Edge theme is great. Rest of the soundtrack as well.

Top Bottom