• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian "Tropes vs. Women" Video will come out today [out now, link in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

So has she been making this one video for nine months? Industry will be very different by the time she gets all the rest out with that schedule.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I kinda checked out on her diatribes when she posted that video on the real reason that men should hate Twilight. She really doesn't understand how they think anymore than she claims men understand women. Still, I guess that doesn't really render her other points invalid, but I don't view her as some final authority.

anaron

lol, are people still trying to play up that scammer bullshit?

She started a kickstarter and pledged for $6,000

Good ! I can't wait to see this usefull video that will change the videogame industry, I'm sure it will be nicely done, with no clichés, and with a deep argumentation.

science-sarcasm-Professor-Frink-Comic-Book-Guy-631.jpg

QaaQer

You need credentials to know if someone's work is misinformed and biased?

No, but solid, rigorous intellectual training in the liberal arts with an emphasis on critical thought is a good indication of whether someone can see their own biases, which is the first step in being able to critique the work of others.

Here's my credentials, I played Bayonetta. Seems like I have more credentials than her. Actually, change "Bayonetta" to "games". Those are my credentials.

But I'd really enjoy it if someone with said credentials had a similar project.

haha well... ignorance is hard to see when it is just in front of you i guess?

This post is the reason these videos should be made imo
The problem isn't the subject matter. The problem is this woman's total ineptitude to make a solid argument. There are videos out there totally picking apart her arguments against Bayonetta.

I'd love to see discussion over women's roles
in games, but I want it to be from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

In fact these videos are probably harming women's issues in video games more then they're helping, because the next time a woman tries to tackle this subject and actually knows what she's talking about then the first thing that people are going to do is moan "Oh God here comes another Sarkeesian."

wildfire

Banned
This already happened, SHOCKINGLY turned out to be a scam.

If it became a scam it was for very little money. I remember bumping that thread just to see if the people who found Sarkeesian and her fan club objectionable would put money where their mouths were.

Turned out they're just a bunch of pathetic cry babies. And some of them are are even on page 1 of this thread.

Reread what was said. We are laughing about the project to do Tropes for men which never came close to reaching "Tropes vs Women" funding level.

Can't hate on her for other people giving her a truckload of money when she only asked for $6k.
Her methods and information presented seem reasonable, so there's really little excuse for such violent outbursts against her.

Personally, I'm all for awareness, but sometimes I can't be bothered to let analytical minutiae get in the way of enjoying a video game.

Playing Senran Kagura right now.
Fucks given: 0

QaaQer

Can someone provide me with a background story for the hate behind this?

I still don't get it.

Bullies came out of the woodwork after her kickstarter, which see asked for $6000 to make a video, was announced. They threatened rape/death. Many people hate bullies and so to show support they funded her kickstarter to the tune of 150K(?), which made the bullies even angrier because their shit backfired.

rvy

Banned
No, but solid, rigorous intellectual training in the liberal arts with an emphasis on critical thought is a good indication of whether someone can see their own biases, which is the first step in being able to critique the work of others.

And she has those? I thought you needed to experience something to have critical thoughts about it. She critiqued something she didn't experience.
I mean, I've never eaten caviar, so I'd rather have a taste before saying it's good or bad.

You can all argue that the video was about the ad campaign. She threw in a few little nuggets she shouldn't regardless.

In fairness to her, she has no control over how much people pledge. I think anyway.

Lime

I am sure that this thread will be filled with reasonable and welcoming posts and almost no knee-jerk reactions or attempts at vilifying the project.

Artemisia

Banned
I do take issue with how Anita seems to be sex negative (her Bayonetta video was crazy), but I'm still anticipating this. I hope its enlightening on some level.

Oxymoron

Can someone provide me with a background story for the hate behind this?

I still don't get it.

Internet manchildren can't handle videogames being treated as a grown-up medium worthy of criticism and are attacking the woman who is trying to explore how women are treated in games.

The only reason she's making these videos about video games is that she would not be taken seriously in any other field.

Sadly here she is taken seriously because everyone who is against someone turns into a spiteful idiot, which is how she got 160k in the first place.

Fehyd

Banned
Heres to hoping its better researched and thought-out than her previous works.

Her "Tropes vs. Women in Comics" video looks like swiss cheese after all the holes poked into it. (or namely, look, I found this old, out of date website, I'm gonna base an entire video on this without any original research).

I do think some of the definitions she's shown look a bit suspect.

"Unattractive equals evil" works for both genders, as does
"The Sexy Villainess" ie. "The Sexy Villain".
"Man with boobs" seems odd, since there's an implication that if you behave like a man, there's something wrong with you. There's a certain implication that tomboys are bad role models?

Of course, I could be completely wrong with this and I freely admit. I'm holding out my actual criticism until I see how she defines them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I see the pre-video defense force is out in full.

Scared there's some truth? What's the problem with acknowledging that some video games do project sexist tropes about women?

Oh there ABSOLUTELY are. And it's gross, dumb, and completely childish.

The problem is is that Anita Sarkeesian is not the person we should be looking to to bring about any kind of reevaluation of this industry. Already, her previous videos have been MORE than cringe-worthy, and she's spent more time since announcing her kickstarter portraying herself as a victim of internet abuse than she has bringing attention to the issues that are apparently so important to her.

Chuckpebble

I am sure that this thread will be filled with reasonable and welcoming posts and almost no knee-jerk reactions or attempts at vilifying the project.

Hey, its GAF, there'll be sides, but one thing's for sure, it'll be a hell of a lot less depressing than the comments on YouTube.

Oh you mean a scam just like this one?

C'mon man.
You and I both know that if the KS had succeeded with something like $7k instead of $150k, this wouldn't even be a subject of conversation. People pledged money, knowing it was just a series of videos. They shouldn't be expecting much beyond that and the stretch goals.

Agree or disagree with her viewpoint, this is hardly a scam.

She said that Bayonetta being a single mother was the only redeeming thing about it.

It's interesting that she sees being a single mother as inherently redeeming. Why? Single parent homes are normally a negative for children. Not something to celebrate.

Anyway, I'm more interested in what the reaction to this will be in the thread, but to be honest mainly for entertainment value. I pretty much know all there is to know about this subject. I am going to try and not post.

tkscz

And she has those? I thought you needed to experience something to have critical thoughts about it. She critiqued something she didn't experience. I mean, I've never eaten caviar, so I'd rather have a taste before saying it's good or bad.

You can all argue that the video was about the ad campaign. She threw in a few little nuggets she shouldn't regardless.

In fairness to her, she has no control over how much people pledge. I think anyway.

She has those yes, but if you watch her videos, she acts like she doesn't.

She doesn't seem to get that sexism is a two way street, and that she herself comes off sexist.

She also isn't very good at making her arguments, choosing to only see one side of the argument (always hers), over the overall issue. Her research skills go as far as her bias does, choosing to only look at what aids her point, and ignoring what arguments can be made against them, even going so far as deleting youtube comments that logically does so (I understand deleting the troll "I'm going to rape/kill you comments, but the logical ones would only help to better her research).

Her Lego argument was one of the worst. She tries to argue that Lego is being sexist by giving boys the main line Lego and girls the "Girly" line. Now, I would normally agree, if they didn't do a 2 billion dollar research on the Lego toys, before making the "Girly" line. They made it because that was what their research came to, but she keeps making it sound like they didn't even do any kind of research. She doesn't blame mainstream parents who took those surveys and were apart of the research, she blames Lego, because it's the business.

I can go on, but basically her writing and research skill suck for a college graduate in literal arts. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt with this only because at one point she said she was going to make sure to look at both sides of the argument.

It's interesting that she sees being a single mother as inherently redeeming. Why? Single parent homes are normally a negative for children. Not something to celebrate.

Anyway, I'm more interested in what the reaction to this will be in the thread, but to be honest mainly for entertainment value. I pretty much know all there is to know about this subject. I am going to try and not post.

Again, she is sexist. She feels that it's good when a woman is independent of a man, even though it would help her child more if the father was around to help (this is negative in Sarkeesian's eyes). I have nothing against single mothers (my mom raised all 6 of us almost by herself) or independent women, but a single mother or single father isn't something to celebrate or make far more positive than it is.

Shoot, I'm keeping my eye on the internet at large.
Got a whole lot of popcorn poppin'

M3d10n

i wonder if she will at least point out male stereotypes within videogames aswell.

especially in her "Unattractive Equals Evil" video where that trope appears to be something that applies to every character rather than just women.

Willem DaFoe?

FartOfWar

Banned
her writing and research skill suck for a college graduate in literal arts. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt with this only because at one point she said she was going to make sure to look at both sides of the argument.

Those "literal arts" and that 'Fair and Balanced.'

Trey

Single mothers are portrayed as strong and nurturing in the face of high pressure. They are allowed to exhibit both independence (namely from the idea that a woman needs a man) and their capability as a role model.

It speaks to the female's character to be an honest single mother, and is thought to be humanizing and worthy of respect. To Anita, that is redeeming.

cj_iwakura

There's no problem with discourse. The problem is if Sarkeesian approaches it in the same ignorant, contrived way she approached Bayonetta.

I'm all for discussing sexism in video games, but only insofar as it's intelligent commentary. The rage that would emerge if the videos turn out to be dreadful (for your Kickstarter contributions!) would rock GAF to its core.

So did you only watch the Bayonetta video like most here(which, keep in mind, was about the game's marketing, not the game itself), or her rest which were very well informed and researched?

Just saying, don't be that quick to judge.

Alucrid

Banned
So did you only watch the Bayonetta video like most here(which, keep in mind, was about the game's marketing, not the game itself), or her rest which were very well informed and researched?

Just saying, don't be that quick to judge.

Could you point me to what you think her best, most informed and well researched video is then?

Dr.Acula

Banned
The single mother thing is an example of defeating a "trope" of female leads being young, vampy, and sexed up without and real family life of responsibilities. THAT'S why it was mentioned. It's not positive or negative, it defies a trope.

But not really 'cause she's not a single mother?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope she takes the cultural differences of Japan into account... because that small Persona 4 kerfuffle from last week certainly didn't and made the argument weaker.

QaaQer

And she has those?
dunno, that's why I'm going to watch her first video & read her bio.

I thought you needed to experience something to have critical thoughts about it. She critiqued something she didn't experience.

I mean, I've never eaten caviar, so I'd rather have a taste before saying it's good or bad.

I'm assuming she spent some time with the subject material.

rvy

Banned
The single mother thing is an example of defeating a "trope" of female leads being young, vampy, and sexed up without and real family life of responsibilities. THAT'S why it was mentioned. It's not positive or negative, it defies a trope.

But not really 'cause she's not a single mother?

Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom