• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Bethesda ripped off a New Vegas mod for a Far Habor Quest in Fallout 4

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm sorry, but if there's genuinely any truth to this, this is absolutely reprehensible. Bethesda better get a hell of a lot more flak for this than Naughty Dog did for using that concept art.

Mr. Tibbs

It's well known that Zenimax's publishing arm, Bethesda Softworks, is the lowest of the low, but I expected better from Bethesda Game Studios.

MUnited83

For you.
You don't have any claim if anything you create involves anything copyrighted that's unauthorized and unsolicited. ANYTHING. Create your own stories with your own characters in their own universe if ownership, credit, or compensation is what you're after. People who write fan fiction or create mods should know this.
This is 100℅ incorrect.

Bethesda actively tries to court and support the modding community though...

It seems the majority of people ready to defend this are coming at it from a legal or corporate apologist angle so of course you'd end up on Bethesda's side but from a creative angle it is really disgusting that a company that would pride themselves on their modding community would take from it on the back door with no recognition.

Yeah, I'm going about it from a legal perspective, but it should be common knowledge for anybody who creates anything unauthorized using copyrighted material.

Bethesda embraces mods because they see the financial benefit it has in extending the shelf life of their games.

Now from a PR perspective, could it be bad if this gets major coverage? Possibly, and it'll be up to them whether to respond or not, however it still wouldn't change the legality of this because paying and giving credit to a modder can be a very slippery slope and bad precedent; Simply because it could lead to more modders in the future, who believe their stories have been "stolen" by the loosest of story beats and connections.

This is 100℅ incorrect.

Please give an example proving it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I mean, half of the new features in New Vegas were ripped mods from Fallout 3. No one cried foul then.

But yes, mod makers should be given some due credit in cases such as these.

Bethesda has always embraced the modding community fully. For every uproar like this or paid mods, there are hundreds of cases of them supporting the mod community.

Hell there are multiple "Remasters/
/Remakes" of Morrowind that do not get CAD letters. Do you see that from any other studio?

ghostjoke

Banned
I miss when companies hired modders to expand on their ideas into fully fleshed games. I get that Bethesda supports the modding scene and turned some popular mods into full, build in, features in Fallout 4, but there is something more off putting when it's a story. I guess it's how much blatant the lack of effort is, coupled with Bethesda's inability to write taken to the next level?

MUnited83

For you.
Exactly. LOL

A more accurate depiction would be if the guy on the right created the ball, then copyrighted it and sold it and said, "I made this". Then the guy on the left buys it and adds another pin into the ball and says, "I made this", and the guy on the right takes it and says, "I made this" and then sells it, and the guy on the left screams ,"Plagiarist".
Nope nope nope. Its more like this: first guy makes a ball. Other say that its a really neat ball and is inspired to make a smaller ball of his own that is conpletely different. The first one now shouts : THE SMALL BALL IS ALSO MINE NOW!

The first guy is a fuckwit

Mr. Tibbs

CnWiv2jVUAAkodx.jpg

A-V-B

Nope nope nope. Its more like this: first guy makes a ball. Other say that its a really neat ball and is inspired to make a smaller ball of his own that is conpletely different. The first one now shouts : THE SMALL BALL IS ALSO MINE NOW!

I think we should stop using the ball argument.

If what you're saying is true and the second ball is merely "inspired" and "completely different", then why can't the second guy sell it, but has to give it away free?

Could it be your analogy is pretty off?

What I don't get about people defending Bethesda is you paid what, $50 for a season pass so one would assume you would get more than a remastered mod as part of that content. yet people are ok with paying for something they could be playing for free

tuxfool

Banned
No, you don't understand how this works. You cannot create something new on top of something copyrighted, especially if it's unauthorized and unsolicited. At least if it was authorized and solicited by the copyright holders, the creator then would get credit and compensation for their work, but not ownership.

I don't care about the legal aspect, it has no bearing on my criticism. Looking it as a purely creative endeavour it is scummy.

Mudcrab

This. Welcome to the real world, kids.

No one actually thinks the modder should start a fight with Zenimax's legal counsel, not even the modder himself.

What is lame however is Bethesda essentially copied an amateur's work and charged $20 for it.

I don't care about the legal aspect, it has no bearing on my criticism. Looking it as a purely creative endeavour it is scummy.

One could argue the lack of creativity in writing story extensions in another company's copyrighted universe using their copyrighted assets. Essentially Fan Fiction.

Mivey

This. Welcome to the real world, kids.
Yeah, kids. Forget the world where game creators aspire to originality. In the real world, no matter how much love you pour into your RPG, the guys who make formulaic giant sandbox murder simulators and populate it with quests "borrowed" from mods will get all the money.

No one actually thinks the modder should start a fight with Zenimax's legal counsel, not even the modder himself.

What is lame however is Bethesda essentially copied an amateur's work and charged $20 for it.

So by essentially copied, do you mean essentially not copied? Because essentially copied means they ripped the modder's original assets and/or dialogue and passed it off as their own, when that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

In my case, why am I making a post of it? Well, to raise some awareness of Autumn Leaves, really. Since I witnessed the interest that “Brain Dead” had raised from the players, I thought it would be cool to jump on the occasion to tell them that more of this kind of quests exists.

The modder just wants people to play Autumn leaves. He acknowledges it isn't the same thing.

So, if you liked Brain Dead, want to play a "Whodunit”, but with entirely different themes, different writing, different plot, different music (!) different voice acting (!!) don’t hesitate to download Autumn Leaves

Now, now, truth be said, I honestly thought Bethesda’s staff played Autumn Leaves, had a blast with it (I hope) took some things out of it and made their own thing for Far Harbor. And I seriously think this is perfectly okay.

This is what probably happened. Inspiration, not copying.

OraleeWey

The modder himself used NV to create the mod. But when Bethesda takes a mod and uses it in their newer game it's unacceptable? I don't necessarily dislike bethesda over this. I'm in a neutral position.

Diancecht

The modder himself used NV to create the mod. But when Bethesda takes a mod and uses it in their newer game it's unacceptable? I don't necessarily dislike bethesda over this. I'm in a neutral position.

Yes all the assets are belong to Bethesda but it's not about that. It's about stealing the whole idea, the story. For a huge ass company like Bethesda to stole an idea of a small modder is unacceptable.

Also I can't believe people are saying that the modder should be proud of this whole thing. Would you be proud, if someone steal your own project and make money out of it without giving you any kind of credit?

No Love

Banned
Bethesda will keep being a bunch of low lives that don't give a fuck about consumers as long as they have the massive sales that they continue to rake in.

Vamphuntr

Bethesda charges money for the DLC and the game. You would expect the people developing the game and being paid for it to devise original content instead of copying a mod from one of their other game that someone made for free and did not even get credited for it.

If this was a free update where Bethesda credited the modder I don't think people would be so irked by this.

Why do people keep saying that they stole from the modder when the modder himself says " entirely different themes, different writing, different plot, different music (!) different voice acting (!!)".

BibiMaghoo

To rip it off is bad. To rip it off and sell it as DLC for the subsequent game in the franchise is disgusting. Shocked this could happen, but not surprised they will never admit to it.

MUnited83

For you.
Ah yes, I conpletely forgot the part where the modder is selling the mod for money.

Mudcrab

So by essentially copied, do you mean essentially not copied? Because essentially copied means they ripped the modder's original assets and/or dialogue and passed it off as their own, when that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

The modder just wants people to play Autumn leaves. He acknowledges it isn't the same thing.

This is what probably happened. Inspiration, not copying.

Why do people keep saying that they stole from the modder when the modder himself says " entirely different themes, different writing, different plot, different music (!) different voice acting (!!)".

You're right, because the Bethesda staff that worked on this had the foresight to not make a 1:1 copy and the modder doesn't want to start a public fight with Zenimax, everyone should just forget about it.

Top Bottom