• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Bethesda ripped off a New Vegas mod for a Far Habor Quest in Fallout 4

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How if the story is still good? A good story is a good story regardless of it's origin.

He means that the core creative team -- paid professionals -- taking a little too much inspiration from a mod instead of creating something more original is not a good look, not that the quality is lacking.

Paganmoon

Might not be strictly illegal, but it's pretty scrummy. Then again, the legality is something that should be looked at.
Also, regarding the EULA, no matter what it says, if the agreement says something that does not jive with the law, it isn't applicable. At least in Sweden, no matter what EULA you sign, if the content, or parts of it say something that the law disagrees with, it cannot be upheld.
Also, technically, you have to be of a certain age to be able to actually accept an EULA, so it all might be null and void if the creator is too young.

void666

Banned
So one of the few interesting quests in fallout 4 was "inspired" by a mod?

Oh well, at least bethesda came up with "kid in the fridge" by themselves.

No one. Bethesda will be fine. Fallout will be fine. But this is still something interesting to talk and learn about regardless.

Let's not kid ourselves. The only way this news is being used is as fodder to fuel some people's seemingly straight up hatred of Bethesda.

When the opposing argument is, "Bethesda and Todd Howard are trash" when the mod itself uses entire game assets created solely by said company ran by said person, there is no real argument to be had.
I'm not really sure what your problem is. It wouldn't have cost Bethesda anything to contact the modder or credit him in the game.

Bethesda and Todd Howard were trash before this incident and will continue to be trash after.

He means that the core creative team -- paid professionals -- taking a little too much inspiration from a mod instead of creating something more original is not a good look, not that the quality is lacking.

Good ideas come from everywhere. How many people played the mod to how many people played this quest in Fallout 4? To those millions of other players, it's an original story.

I'm sure they have the something in the ToS for Creation Kit/GECK/whatever FO4's mod editor will be called to make what they did nice and legal.

But in terms of creativity, that's a scumbag move. At least give the guy you ripped off his proper credit before you do it. Let everyone know, "hey we liked this guy's mod so much we're making a FO4 quest based on it, check out his work" and that would have went over way better.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I was (trying to) being scarcastic.

Alright, I was thinking that cause that quest....hoo boy.
Though I needed to know. Cause if that quest was some revered quest everybody loves it might have been time for me to finally leave this planet.

tuxfool

Banned
Though I needed to know. Cause if that quest was some revered quest everybody loves it might have been time for me to finally leave this planet.

It is the quest that gives you the most user choice in F4. It has that going for it.

Good ideas come from everywhere. How many people played the mod to how many people played this quest in Fallout 4? To those millions of other players, it's an original story.

What you're expressing here is that plagarism is ok if nobody finds out about it. Now that people have, has it become not ok?

MMaRsu

Banned
Let's not kid ourselves. The only way this news is being used is as fodder to fuel some people's seemingly straight up hatred of Bethesda.

Riiight.. Gaf is not a hivemind and neither are people's feelings about Bethesda. This isnt NMA.

Do you agree this is a scummy thing to do or not?

Holy heck. Effin shame. That user can fight this for sure right?

They can, they'll lose

There are literal possible legal ramifications for this

also, this takes paid mods to a whole new level

Here's a famous case with a clear decision for legal precedence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_v._Stallone

The script development was the subject of a famous copyright lawsuit, Anderson v. Stallone.[26] Timothy Anderson developed a treatment for Rocky IV on spec; after the studio decided not to buy his treatment, he sued when the resulting movie script was similar to his treatment. The court held that Anderson had prepared an unauthorized derivative work of the characters Stallone had developed in Rocky I through III, and thus he couldn't enforce his unauthorized story extension against the owner of the character's copyrights.

void666

Banned

Believe it or not i only stumbled upon that damn fridge a couple of days ago. After over 400 hours of playtime. For some reason that part of the map is almost unexplored in my game.

I think they went for a wacky kind of quest. But it's terrible.

DSix

Banned
Honestly given the EULA, BethSoft is probably not legally on the hook (barring an actual EULA challenge) but it's a dick move to use all that work and not give credit where it's due.

Except the author of the mod is European and there EULAs mean absolutely nothing legally.

His authorship and copyright of his story are still owned in full by him. Bethesda is doing something blatantly illegal here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's all well and good that the story is being appreciated by more people, but that more players have experienced it in Fallout 4 than New Vegas doesn't make Bethesda's Far Harbor an original story. Fact is dictated by truth, not the most common perspective.

yoonshik

Might not be strictly illegal, but it's pretty scrummy. Then again, the legality is something that should be looked at.
Also, regarding the EULA, no matter what it says, if the agreement says something that does not jive with the law, it isn't applicable. At least in Sweden, no matter what EULA you sign, if the content, or parts of it say something that the law disagrees with, it cannot be upheld.
Also, technically, you have to be of a certain age to be able to actually accept an EULA, so it all might be null and void if the creator is too young.
Yeah, at least in Europe, the EULA is not above the law.

Reebot

Except the author of the mod is European and there EULAs mean absolutely nothing legally.

His authorship and copyright of his story are still owned in full by him. Bethesda is doing something blatantly illegal here.

Not how it works.

Guy is out of luck legally.

kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

It´s incredible how the once legendary Fallout has fallen. Sadly, the once much respected Bethesda will probably get away with this
and Fallout 5 will eventually sell like hotcakes anyway

I find it hilarious how Fallout 1 and 2 have retroactively become more high-brow then they really are. Fallout 1 is Babby's First CRPG and Fallout 2 only sold 100k before Fallout 3 came out and people actually heard of the series.

You know what Legendary is? Baldur's Gate, by the same publisher, which sold only about 20 times as much as Fallout 2 in the same year.

Bethesda took a massive gamble buying the Fallout IP to begin with. TESArena and Daggerfall sold better than Fallout 1 or 2 ever did.

Sulik2

Yeah, this is a huge black mark on Bethesda. This is pretty blatantly a case of stolen work. Just horrible for a company as huge as Bethesda to be resorting to stealing its fans hard work.

Pakkidis

Legally, there is nothing you can do. Bethseda did nothing legally wrong but did something morally wrong.

Not worth the time and effort to take this to court. I'm sure once a major website gets a hold of this and news starts spreading, Bethseda may comment on this.

What you're expressing here is that plagarism is ok if nobody finds out about it. Now that people have, has it become not ok?
Is that how plagiarism works?
so its ok to steal if the source is relatively unknown then.

The point is a copyright holder cannot plagiarize or steal from somebody who creates something unauthorized and unsolicited using their copyrighted materials such as assets and characters.

Reebot

I find it hilarious how Fallout 1 and 2 have retroactively become more high-brow then they really are. Fallout 1 is Babby's First CRPG and Fallout 2 only sold 100k before Fallout 3 came out and people actually heard of the series.

You know what Legendary is? Baldur's Gate, by the same publisher, which sold only about 20 times as much as Fallout 2 in the same year.

Bethesda took a massive gamble buying the Fallout IP to begin with. TESArena and Daggerfall sold better than Fallout 1 or 2 ever did.

This is no time for facts.

Spinning an obscure franchise into a juggernaut of sales and scores is a failure, accept it.

Osla

Neo Member
Recently finished this quest in one sitting because I liked the story so much! Thought it was a highlight of the entire game, too.

Shame, Bethesda.

As shameless from Bethesda as this is if true, it still isn't plagerism like the article suggests, considering Bethesda has ownership over all mods from their games, including New Vegas.
Legally it isn't.

Too bad EULAs don't protect them from bad publicity though.

It's a new story with new characters in a new location. Can you apply the reason why Anderson lost his case to this incident? I don't think you can. If the script of this mod could stand on its own without violating copyright then this is different.

The Russian Character was a new character in the Rocky franchise.

These new characters still exist in a copyrighted Fallout universe. The assets used to create them are copyrighted. The mod itself is a derivative work of copyrighted material.

Like i can't create a new superhero with their own new story and insert them in the Marvel universe, and then get upset if Marvel creates the exact same thing and doesn't credit me.

Backlogger

Weird! I remember playing through that quest and thinking how out of place it felt from the rest of the game in particular the Far Harbor DLC itself. Out of place in a good way.

Wow... This is pretty shitty of Bethesda to do this and not give any credit to the guy. That's the big thing about this. I would recommend anyone who has the PC version of New Vegas to give the mod a shot, it's really well made and seems like a quest that Obsidian would've put into the game themselves with some REALLY solid voice acting!!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The amount of hate Fallout 4 and Bethesda get's on GAF in general is too much sodium for me to handle.

It's not plagiarism though as Bethesda is the IP holder/publisher of the game itself.

Do you not know what salty or plagiarism means?

Quality <> popularity.

The BIGGEST current genre in the world came from mods. If at the time of Aeon of Strife and DotA Blizzard had the same EULA as Bethesda has now, I honestly doubt League of Legends and DOTA 2 would exist, at least not the same way as they do now, and surely not as big.

Doing that without attribution is just sad.

I'm okay with this if it will lead to Bethesda incorporating elements from those mods in their game such as actual role-playing options, good writing and quality worldbuilding.

it won't

Top Bottom