• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Bethesda ripped off a New Vegas mod for a Far Habor Quest in Fallout 4

Again, the only lame thing here was that they didn't acknowledge it.
No, it's not. Trawling user made content for ideas and then directly lifting them is soooo low. Their scenario writers should be ashamed and embarassed to have to resort to such uncreative hack-level techniques. Where the fuck are the profits going?

And yes, they are running the franchise into the ground like Interplay tried to.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Betheshit dont care. They know millions of drones will buy whatever they put out. Glad I heckled the shit out of Todd Howard when I had the chance.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
7Zd9i5M.jpg

"DELETE THIS!!!!" - Todd Howard

Yes. Exactly.

That is what being creatively bankrupt means. Repackaging other people's content barely iterating on the concept.

Alright, so a painter copies a building for one of the panels of his polyptych from some amateur painting he saw once and really liked. Other than that, as far as you can tell, everything seems to be entirely original.

That painter is now creatively bankrupt. I mean, really?

Also, I mean, creatively bankrupt or not, the point is to make a fun DLC. They still put work into actually making the quest, so I personally don't really have an issue with it.

munroe

Bethesda doesn't have to do squat. It's their property, they can do whatever they want with it. Modders are granted permission to use assets, they don't have any claim to anything they've created.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
All they had to do was acknowledge the mod creator in the credits as an inspiration for the quest and perhaps send him some free Bethesda/Fallout swag that should cost next to nothing... Just common courtesy if you are going to pretty much copy a mod even if it's legally okay to do. Otherwise, you risk fan backlash.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Come on now.

Cranster

Banned
They suck, and they're running an all-time great IP into the ground, so they're gonna get hated. If it's too much salt for you to handle, well...

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯
You heard it here everyone, pack it up. Fallout 4 is a failure after 12 million copies sold in it's first 24 hours.

tuxfool

Banned
Alright, so a painter copies a building for one of the panels of his polyptych from some amateur painting he saw once and really liked. Other than that, as far as you can tell, everything seems to be entirely original.

Also, I mean, creatively bankrupt or not, the point is to make a fun DLC. They still put work into actually making the quest, so I personally don't really have an issue with it.

If the painter doesn't change it in some meaningful fashion, then, yes it is a copy. It is borderline plagiarism.

These aren't hobbyists doing it for their own satisfaction or practice, they're selling a product for money. People rightfully expect a higher standards.

It is possible to enjoy something and admit they fucked up.

Didn't they basically make a DLC out of a mod with the vault creator? Nearly sure that was a mode long before they announced it as DLC.

tuxfool

Banned
Hmm.

I wonder if he's tried a DMCA takedown on steam.

He doesn't care. I don't think anybody else here is saying he should either. It is however ridiculously lame that they resorted to copying a mod in search of content to add to their DLC.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
These aren't hobbyists doing it for their own satisfaction or practice, they're selling a product for money. People rightfully expect a higher standards.

People didn't even know to begin with. How can you say they expect higher standards...then go out and buy Fallout 4? Which...isn't a high quality product to begin with.

If they announced Fallout 5 tomorrow, it would still sell 10 million + to those same people who "expect high standards."

pablito

I wish they could just...give these guys jobs or something. Bring the Nehrim/Enderal people into Elder Scrolls. Bring these guys and others into Fallout.

MakeFalloutandElderScrollsGreatAgain

DocSeuss

Cool, now let's go ahead and take down Obsidian, who ripped DOZENS of Fallout 3 mods for their game.

That's way worse than anything Bethesda ever did.

I even have a cutesy name for them that says they're bad: "Obshittian!"

I'm so clever.

It is possible to enjoy something and admit they fucked up.

I maintain that the only way they "fucked up" is not giving a nod to the creator. Me and said creator seem to agree on that note.

I wish they could just...give these guys jobs or something. Bring the Nehrim/Enderal people into Elder Scrolls. Bring these guys and others into Fallout.

MakeFalloutandElderScrollsGreatAgain

Reminds me of the Netflix series "Love" for whatever reason.

One good idea doesn't make you a great writer.

That's what happens when you create derivative works of copyrighted material.

Harsh, but true. I'm not in the weeds on this one, and I am a Fallout fan (even 3 and 4, don't come at me with torches and pitchforks, GAF), but if it looks like they aped stuff, then I simply won't buy Far Harbor unless they give a nod to the mod creator. Maybe a job offer.

That said, they're within their right to do it. So they're not wrong, just assholes, maybe.

Cool, now let's go ahead and take down Obsidian, who ripped DOZENS of Fallout 3 mods for their game.

I'm so clever.

Why is there such a defense force for Bethesda? They did a shitty thing, what's wrong with calling it out?

Kalentan

Harsh, but true. I'm not in the weeds on this one, and I am a Fallout fan (even 3 and 4, don't come at me with torches and pitchforks, GAF), but if it looks like they aped stuff, then I simply won't buy Far Harbor unless they give a nod to the mod creator. Maybe a job offer.

That said, they're within their right to do it. So they're not wrong, just assholes, maybe.

It's still funny how people are more offended by this than the actual guy who created the mod.

Lothars

Fallout 4 is trash compared to any other mainline Fallout game from my perspective. Fallout 3 is a far better game than Fallout 4. I don't care that the gunplay has been improved because half-decent gunplay isn't why I played Fallout to begin with.

but go on, and explain to me how I'm deluded for thinking that Bethesda's treatment of the Fallout franchise is a tremendous waste of this franchise's potential. I don't care that Fallout 4 drew the Far Cry crowd like never before, it's a barely passable open world shooter and hardly an RPG as far as I'm concerned.
See now if you say it like this than you make a fair point, I don't agree with you that Fallout 4 is trash but it does have tons of issues.

Why is there such a defense force for Bethesda? They did a shitty thing, what's wrong with calling it out?

Why can't people argue the opposite of what you believe? Surely you're able to see that the people on the side of "Bethesda is the worst, for ever and ever" is far larger.

I think that's a disingenuous comparison and I think you know it

There's a vast gulf of difference between bringing your FPS gunplay into the 21st century a few years after modders had endeavored to do it themselves with a past title on the same engine, and lifting the plot and scenario from a mod for a questline. Even something like survival mode doesn't merit comparison here because that's a feature a fair amount of people desired to be included in stock New Vegas to begin with.

Interfectum

I'm so clever.

But but Sony Too!™

tuxfool

Banned
People didn't even know to begin with. How can you say they expect higher standards...then go out and buy Fallout 4? Which...isn't a high quality product to begin with.

If they announced Fallout 5 tomorrow, it would still sell 10 million + to those same people who "expect high standards."

I'm not talking about quality of the product. By standards, I mean considering it shitty that they resorted to something like this.

It's still funny how people are more offended by this than the actual guy who created the mod.

Right. It sounds like he knew that this was a possible outcome, so there it is. It's the mod creator that folks ought to be listening to, not letting the zeitgeist do the driving.

Vlodril

the more time i spend on this forum and the internet the more i am convinced people will defend anything. The one realization i came after the internet became widely spread is that people are crazy everywhere. :p

d00d3n

Wow, that is really shady. The saddest part is that the ripped off quest is probably one of the better ones in the entire DLC.

I'm not necessarily defending Bethesda, but people should know that when they create derivative works of other people's copyrighted material they have no claim to it whether they're mods, fan fiction, etc... if the copyright holders decide to use it. The sooner you accept that, the less you'll get upset when it happens.

It honestly looks more like heavily inspired by than any sort of copyright infringement, assuming the modder has rights.

So, if you liked Brain Dead, want to play a "Whodunit”, but with entirely different themes, different writing, different plot, different music (!) different voice acting (!!) don’t hesitate to download Autumn Leaves

Did they rip assets? Didn't seem like it. Did they rip dialogue? I haven't played either but it doesn't seem like it. Did they rip plot? Apparently not. Seems like they took a theme they saw do well and a few plot points? Not really caring about this personally.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm.

I wonder if he's tried a DMCA takedown on steam.

He has no grounds. Bethesda's UGC EULA asserts that Bethesda owns any and all content packaged with its SDKs, and while EULAs may not be legally binding, "EULAs may not be legally binding" is not sufficient. He could lie and say that Far Harbor plagiarises his own work, but Bethesda wouldn't have any trouble showing that it's not actually his mod, rendering the exercise pointless, and the effort required to challenge the EULA in court would likely be too costly for him to entertain the idea even if he had such desires.

I'm not necessarily defending Bethesda, but people should know that when they create derivative works of other people's copyrighted material they have no claim to it whether they're mods, fan fiction, etc... if the copyright holders decide to use it. The sooner you accept that, the less you'll get upset when it happens.

They're legally covered.

But this is a bad look creatively.

Good artists copy, great artists steal.
Of Tennyson’s assimilative method, when he adopts an image or a suggestion from a predecessor, and works it up into his own glittering fabric, I shall give a few instances, offering as the result and summing up of the preceding inquiries a modest canon: "That great poets imitate and improve, whereas small ones steal and spoil."

Cranster

Banned
Guys, guys, look at me. I know how to make an argumentum ad populum.
When the opposing argument is, "Bethesda and Todd Howard are trash" when the mod itself uses entire game assets created solely by said company ran by said person, there is no real argument to be had.

Kaji AF16

kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

It´s incredible how the once legendary Fallout has fallen. Sadly, the once much respected Bethesda will probably get away with this
and Fallout 5 will eventually sell like hotcakes anyway

Top Bottom