• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Bethesda ripped off a New Vegas mod for a Far Habor Quest in Fallout 4

Spacejaws

So people are saying he has no legal recourse but if the ideas/writing were pilfered isnt that jusitifcation?

Bethesda own the engine/game but if the modder had copyrighted it for story/characters/script then that should be protected shouldn't it?

Not saying it would go far, infact it would likely fall flat on its face like the guy who claimed Terminator stole his novels plot etc. I dont think they go very far because it is so hard to prove.

I know scriptwriters that are wary of submissions because they have had a script rejected then years later saw the same studio make something similar. BBC are apparently supposedly bad because the treatments they reject use to just lie around until stumbled upon years later. Thats the hearsay anyway.

Soulflarz

Banned
I know exactly how this guy feels, as I've been in this situation countless times. Every time I think "it sure would be nice if I got a little recognition, but either way my work is reaching a broader audience which is all I ever wanted to begin with."

So many of my friends use Idlemaster/Durante fixes/Enhanced Steam and it's always funny when I'm thinking "you know, it's funny that no one knows the guys who made those, yet they're just chilling in SteamGAF with us all day".

So people are saying he has no legal recourse but if the ideas/writing were pilfered isnt that jusitifcation?

Bethesda own the engine/game but if the modder had copyrighted it for story/characters/script then that should be protected shouldn't it?

Not saying it would go far, infact it would likely fall flat on its face like the guy who claimed Terminator stole his novels plot etc. I dont think they go very far because it is so hard to prove.

I know scriptwriters that are wary of submissions because they have had a script rejected then years later saw the same studio make something similar. BBC are apparently supposedly bad because the treatments they reject use to just lie around until stumbled upon years later. Thats the hearsay anyway.

It depends. US law goes above a EULA which discredits copyright but...you won't win it over an idea probably. If you had infinite money to higher great lawyers, you could probably show some connection as to how beth stumbled upon it as it was a mod for the same series and such, but it's hell to prove. You'd also have to show why that EULA isn't valid.

TL;DR version of the case- not worth your money, no one wants it to go to court, it's never been in court, settlement 6 months in.

Plasma

Banned
Should have given him some credit or at least a heads up that they were going to use some of his work. Even if they are legally covered it's a really shiity thing to do.

Well yeah, but the EULA states that copyright goes to Bethesda, which might not hold up in court, but no modder that is willing to go through the trouble for that.

If Bethesda gave no credit to the creator, then that's just terrible and abusive of their own fandom. This could have been a way to get more people desiring to make quality mods, since there would be an example that they could effectively be canonized. Instead, Bethesda acts like crooks and more likely will drive away people from putting creative effort into modding their games. As someone who only writes as a hobby, I am disgusted with this since someone must have approved this up the chain.

Edit: The mod creator doesn't have to be upset, after all the situation is generating recognition, but they should try to pursue a credit from Bethesda.

Maybe this is how Bethesda gets back at the modding community over last year's "paid mod" debacle.

Uh, last I recall, it was players who rioted over paid mods. Quite a few modders were all for it. The SkyUI guys ended up ragequitting and stopping at V5.0 with no plans for future support whatsoever over the program being cancelled.

Let's hope SkyUI still works in Special Edition, because they don't plan on updating it themselves.

Bladelaw

Honestly given the EULA, BethSoft is probably not legally on the hook (barring an actual EULA challenge) but it's a dick move to use all that work and not give credit where it's due.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I mean that Bethesda wouldn't normally be allowed to just copy the mod as every original element introduced such as art, sound and I think also writing is copyrighted by the modder, regardless if it is made with the tools of Bethesda. Same goes with other types of derivative works.

My intention was not to imply otherwise. Bethesda's SDKs aren't one-stop shops for all things game design, and even if they were, it'd be difficult for Bethesda to prove that a mod creator used one for all phases of the creation of original content featured in a mod. I don't think GECK even has the ability to record voices, let alone music (which seems to be the only original content in the mod, aside from the writing), but I stressed the Bethesda connection in my original post as Bethesda's UGC EULA claims complete and total ownership of any and all content packaged by its SDKs.

From the creators' own comparison:
Now, now, truth be said, I honestly thought Bethesda’s staff played Autumn Leaves, had a blast with it (I hope) took some things out of it and made their own thing for Far Harbor. And I seriously think this is perfectly okay.

Edit: Beaten
It's perfectly legal and okay. But yeah I guess some recognition would be nice.

spectator

Lol Bethesda.

Seriously, when you resort to something like this as a huge development studio a categorization as "creatively bankrupt" no longer sounds like something only some RPG nerds at an obscure sites would consider.

This isn't "creatively bankrupt"; this, quite literally, is "creatively in debt".

tuxfool

Banned
Don't worry, people here are making up for that.

Regardless of who is upset, justifiably or not, this can objectively be called creatively bankrupt.

There is no reason to copy a mod to this degree unless you're completely out of ideas or just want to take shortcuts.

Cranster

Banned
Should have given him some credit or at least a heads up that they were going to use some of his work. Even if they are legally covered it's a really shiity thing to do.
Maybe they tried to contact him? Who knows if many of the developers of that content knew it was based off or inspired by off a mod?

The DLC is a few months old and some of the reactions on this thread make it seem like Todd Howard kicked a cat or something.

Fallout is dead as fuck to me

barf

I also don't quite get what I'm supposed to see in this picture except that railing looks similar? Though the text makes it sound very hard to believe that it's all a coincidence. If I were that modder I would be proud though.

it's almost like there's more to this than the picture in the op

So much salt over a mod that 99% of the Fallout community never heard of until today.

It's the principle of the thing.

I mean, I shouldn't even have to point that out. Try not to slip and fall off that edge tho

Reebot

"You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit."

Doesn't that mean they technically own it? Still doesn't sit well, even if they do.

Is this language from the EULA? Assuming "New Materials" means mods, then almost certainly Bethesda acted legally. Modders sign away all rights.

Morally, that's another story.

Far more likely this is an individual writer who was out of ideas than "Bethesda". Are people completely incapable of separating the acts of an individual from a group they belong to? Sure seems so these days, considering the number of people talking about how the company as a whole sucks because of this.

Although I'd love to see some kind of story that this was a corporate level conspiracy. Would probably be better writing than Fallout 4 (ZING!)

Byvar

So many people are making a huge issue out of this and painting ALL of BGS as thieves (and Todd Howard first and foremost), but isn't this likely just the work of just one lazy quest writer out of many who actually do their jobs? Seriously, people just seem to be looking for reasons to be angry at BGS as a whole.

Edit: Beaten :p Anyway, BGS haven't done anything wrong. If you don't like their games, don't buy them.

This is fantastic news. Hopefully they continue to rip off actually decent ideas from people with talent for the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

Mivey

im_shocked.gif

No really, if you asked who me "took some quests and ideas from mods and put them into DLC" I would have probably even guessed Bethesda.

Kinyou

Man that's ugly. Sounds like a really cool quest so I can see why they wanted to copy it, but doing it without permission is just shitty.

Regardless of who is upset, justifiably or not, this can objectively be called creatively bankrupt.

There is no reason to copy a mod to this degree unless you're completely out of ideas or just want to take shortcuts.

As the mod creator himself said, the idea behind the mod is hardly original to begin with. And, really, a good idea is a good idea. That guy wasn't going to make that mod into a purchasable product any time soon, so should they just not use it just because it's one extra step removed from "taking inspiration from a bunch of different sources"?

Again, the only lame thing here was that they didn't acknowledge it.

Dec

Far more likely this is an individual writer who was out of ideas than "Bethesda". Are people completely incapable of separating the acts of an individual from a group they belong to? Sure seems so these days, considering the number of people talking about how the company as a whole sucks because of this.

Although I'd love to see some kind of story that this was a corporate level conspiracy. Would probably be better writing than Fallout 4 (ZING!)

There are extremely similar plot points, dialogue, art assets etc.

Did that one person walk over to the artists and writers to direct what the area looked like, on top of the overall story taking place during the quest and rewording and reworking of jokes?

Seems more likely the work of multiple or many people.

Dario ff

Banned
At least they're starting to acknowledge they're better off stealing good writing from other people. I was worried they thought they were doing a good job at it.

Some compensation for the mod creator is hardly an issue for them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
No problem with them adapting a mod, but I do have a problem of them failing to provide credit or contacting said creator. They may legally have the right to use any mod as they wish but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to contact the creator and get their blessing or at the very least inform them and include a credit or acknowledgement.

Lothars

Yup that's the sad part, Yes it seems like it was stolen but I don't believe that it was the whole company or more than one person in Bethesda taking the quest and showing it off as their own.

Bethesda should give the mod creator credit. Hopefully they will since this has came to light. It's not acceptable either way for this to happen but I imagine there's more to the story.

The amount of hate Fallout 4 and Bethesda get's on GAF in general is too much sodium for me to handle.

They suck, and they're running an all-time great IP into the ground, so they're gonna get hated. If it's too much salt for you to handle, well...

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

Yeah, checked it out, FedoraCodex is right this once. Looking at dialog comparisons it goes beyond simple coincidence.

They are right however they are disingenuous about the subject. RPGCodex will make a big deal about this and yet never said anything about Obsidian Entertainment's lifting whole characters and plots from Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, and Outer Limits episodes for Fallout New Vegas.

The amount of hate Fallout 4 and Bethesda get's on GAF in general is too much sodium for me to handle.

Being a Bethesda fan since the first Elder Scrolls, I had to deal with people have been pissed off for no reason about Bethesda since the days of Daggerfall and newsgroups. I'm immune to salt.

Jeffrey

It's perfectly fine for bethesda to do this in a 'legal' way, doesn't mean it's not super lame.

Is there really nothing in the quest that acknowledges the mod, maybe some cleverly named npcs, etc?

tuxfool

Banned
so should they just not use it just because it's one extra step removed from "taking inspiration from a bunch of different sources"?

Yes. Exactly.

That is what being creatively bankrupt means. Repackaging other people's content barely iterating on the concept.

They suck, and they're running an all-time great IP into the ground, so they're gonna get hated. If it's too much salt for you to handle, well...

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

It's difficult. On the one hand, a fanbase loudly complaining must be one of the better ways to light a fire under a developer's ass, which is great for the people who play the games.

On the other hand, to even go as far as to imply that they're running that franchise "into the ground" is a step too far to me. They took the franchise to new heights and brought it to a much larger audience, and even if you didn't like the Bethesda Studio made ones, at least you got one great one out of it.

Patapwn

Can we just hate Bethesda now? I dont really know what they do but I never liked them and oughhh now I got a reason to hate those sons of bitches

jrcbandit

All they had to do was acknowledge the mod creator in the credits as an inspiration for the quest and perhaps send him some free Bethesda/Fallout swag that should cost next to nothing... Just common courtesy if you are going to pretty much copy a mod even if it's legally okay to do. Otherwise, you risk fan backlash.

lol delusion at it's best.

Fallout 4 is trash compared to any other mainline Fallout game from my perspective. Fallout 3 is a far better game than Fallout 4. I don't care that the gunplay has been improved because half-decent gunplay isn't why I played Fallout to begin with.

but go on, and explain to me how I'm deluded for thinking that Bethesda's treatment of the Fallout franchise is a tremendous waste of this franchise's potential. I don't care that Fallout 4 drew the Far Cry crowd like never before, it's a barely passable open world shooter and hardly an RPG as far as I'm concerned.

It's difficult. On the one hand, a fanbase loudly complaining must be one of the better ways to light a fire under a developer's ass, which is great for the people who play the games.

On the other hand, to even go as far as to imply that they're running that franchise "into the ground" is a step too far to me. They took the franchise to new heights and brought it to a much larger audience, and even if you didn't like the Bethesda Studio made ones, at least you got one great one out of it.

That they did. And even though Fallout 3 wasn't perfect, they had even tried to retain many of the elements that made Fallout unique and satisfying as a role-playing game, while introducing some of their own.
Fallout 4 just strips the whole idea of enabling the player to roleplay effectively out of the question. It's unbelievable how much Fallout 4 just feels like a Fallout-skinned Far Cry type of experience to me.

They are right however they are disingenuous about the subject. RPGCodex will make a big deal about this and yet never said anything about Obsidian Entertainment's lifting whole characters and plots from Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, and Outer Limits episodes for Fallout New Vegas.
If you think that stuff is egregious, try playing Fallout 2 sometime. Fallout 2 pretty much ingrained on-the-nose pop culture parody into the DNA of Fallout. That sort of stuff is everywhere, in Fallout 2, 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4.

I don't see the merit in comparing that to basically lifting the entire plot for a mod of one of their other games, though.

Top Bottom