• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus JP puts up Persona related teaser site counting down to November 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

It's a mechanic that while flawed was ok in Persona 1. Persona 2 Innocent Sin needlessly made the whole tarot system fate more complex and grindy than it needed to be. It is done far better in games like Soul Hackers, and SMTIV but success in those games relied in your Luck stat.

I actually dislike the concept at its core, having experienced it in all of the games you've mentioned. It's just not fun.

I think I actually even preferred it in P2 compared to P1 because at least it was fun to mess around with different team combinations for the negotiations.

Demon/Persona whatever you want to call them ... Most of them were very fun to interact with in Persona 2

Maybe no negotiation but let me cuddle my personas

I would like to see negotiations return. They do a good job at breaking up the flow of the dungeons by giving you other ways out of encounters aside from just fighting your way through. Plus they tend to be a lot of fun.

But something more along the lines of mainline SMT's negotiation system, and not that stupid system Innocent Sin had.

Persona 3/4 style town and S. Link stuff (hopefully with a more fleshed out social link system) plus negotiations and non-randomly generated dungeons that are well laid out would be the perfect game for me.

jackal27

Banned
My system of choice would 3DS personally, but I'd also love to see it on the Wii U. If it's for the PS4 or Vita, I would buy those consoles just to play it.

Despera

Banned
They didn't suck in Persona 4.
In what way did they not?

Nothing but random ass corridors/levels. Sure, the overall theme may change, but it's still lazy as shit. Better than P3's tartarsauce though.

Easily the worst part of these games, and I'm sure it was on top of the P-Team's must-improve list for the next title.

I wonder whose going to do the animation for the anime cutscenes. Hopefully not the people who did the Persona 4 anime. Call me crazy but I kind of liked the look of the cutscenes in P4 and to a lesser extent P3.

Coxy

Yeah, it's what I miss from P3 as well. I like P4 quite a bit, but having some independence for the side characters is a good thing, and it's why I thought FemC was a step back in some ways for P3P.

some independance is good but I absolutely despised how P3 handled it, instead of getting involved in their lives and forging friendships you were often just observing acquantances

Squire

Banned
I actually dislike the concept at its core, having experienced it in all of the games you've mentioned. It's just not fun.

I think I actually even preferred it in P2 compared to P1 because at least it was fun to mess around with different team combinations for the negotiations.

It's appeasing children as a game mechanic. Negotiation sucks.

Jonnax

I wonder whose going to do the animation for the anime cutscenes. Hopefully not the people who did the Persona 4 anime. Call me crazy but I kind of liked the look of the cutscenes in P4 and to a lesser extent P3.

Is the Persona 4 anime a recommended watch? Only 20 hours into the game right now and just heard about it and was thinking of watching it after I complete the game.

Midou

Hope the musical theme is FUNK this time. That would be awesome.

I would also like it to take place in a university setting at least.

But really I just need it in my veins.

Is the Persona 4 anime a recommended watch? Only 20 hours into the game right now and just heard about it and was thinking of watching it after I complete the game.

It's very much 'the same shit'. I found it tedious how similar it was to be honest. Watched like 3 or 4 episodes and didn't feel a need to keep going.

P1 and 2's dungeons may not be the best designed, but at least you can say they were designed. I'd say SMTIV's realistic locations style suits Persona fine.

Dr. Buni

In what way did they not?

Nothing but random ass corridors/levels. Sure, the overall theme may change, but it's still lazy as shit. Better than P3's tartarsauce though.

Easily the worst part of these games, and I'm sure it was on top of the P-Team's must-improve list for the next title.

Most dungeons had great designs (thematically)
Most dungeons had amazing music themes
The dungeons didn't have fucking puzzles in the way and that is a good thing

So yeah, to me the dungeons were great in P4 (Tartarus in P3 sucked, though). They were in no way the worst part of the game. I hope they are as good in P5.

I guess I can understand why one wouldn't like the dungeons, if she/he is into "exploration", "puzzles" and etc... But I am not.

Soriku

Who did the new cutscenes for P4G? I know Madhouse at least did the opening. Personal choice would be them or...ufotable.

Midou

Most dungeons had great designs (thematically)
Most dungeons had amazing music themes
The dungeons didn't have fucking puzzles in the way and that is a good thing

So yeah, to me the dungeons were great in P4 (Tartarus sucked, though). They were in no way the worst part of the game. I hope they are as good in P5.

Yeah I felt the balance of dungeon length and visual/musical themes were a great way to keep the dungeon crawling core without making it tedious.

Dr. Buni

I think whichever studio made Fate/Zero should animate the cutscenes in P5.
The anime is good, but seeing the P4 MC with a set personality was kind of weird to me. His personality is awesome, though.

Who did the new cutscenes for P4G? I know Madhouse at least did the opening. Personal choice would be them or...ufotable.

They did the opening iirc. Not sure about anything else. Madhouse would be good. Ufotable has been doing a lot of game related stuff though. Either way their both good studios.

I think whichever studio made Fate/Zero should animate the cutscenes in P5.

That would be ufotable.

Tiu Neo

The anime is good, but seeing the P4 MC with a set personality was kind of weird to me. His personality is awesome, though.

I like how they made him mostly chose the funniest options, in the anime.

I'd say it's worth a watch, too.

Snakeyes

What would you have to replace

a.) the atmospheric underlining of school life
b.) story characterization of different individuals
c.) Different Arcana Fusion bonuses

Genuine question. Because these are all definitely part of the appeals of the series.

I think social links need to stay, just need to be more natural. More natural questions. More activities you can do during them. Actual GAMEPLAY opportunities during them. Maybe some Social link quests take you into dungeons?

Agreed. I don't think anything needs to be replaced but the current S. Links are a bit too... "mechanical". Right now, they just feel like a quiz where you're telling your buddies whatever they want to hear. It would be nice if there were no "wrong" answers, and every option you picked shifted the character's development into a slightly different direction. Boom, we've got a unique Persona-style take on Megaten's alignment system.

The game could sometimes let you pick where to hang out with people, let you invite them somewhere instead of them calling you, etc... There are a lot of ways to expand on the current system.

Dr. Buni

The 3DS can make some great graphics. If Persona 5 is a 3DS title, I guess it could look as good as Persona 3 FES/Persona 4, which is fine to me.
That would be ufotable.
Yeah, Ufotable. Anyway, Pierrot Studios would be a good choice too. The best animated Bleach episodes were amazing (like that one with a fight between Hisagi and crab-like arrancar).
There's a reason Persona was unpopular before part 3.
It was unpopular even after Persona 3. It was only after Persona 4. No, after the Persona 4 anime that it became a bit more popular.

What would you have to replace

a.) the atmospheric underlining of school life
b.) story characterization of different individuals
c.) Different Arcana Fusion bonuses

Genuine question. Because these are all definitely part of the appeals of the series.

I think social links need to stay, just need to be more natural. More natural questions. More activities you can do during them. Actual GAMEPLAY opportunities during them. Maybe some Social link quests take you into dungeons?

Japanese society being like it is makes any social structure outside of "high school" tough to implement. College apparently wouldn't work (it's been discussed and shot down before) and I can't see anyone wanting to play "persona: salaryman edition."

It's going to have to change EVENTUALLY though (does anyone really still want to be doing the high school thing for persona 6? 7? I didn't think so) so you have a few options:

place the game in neo toyko, circa 2299, or something. Allow for a modern setting, but radically different social structure to give the game some kind of flexibility. Demons, Cyborgs, Super-mutants, you know you want this game.

have it still modern day, but remove it from Japan. Isn't Pokemon in France right now, or something?

Do a Persona: Battle Royale edition. the cast is still from modern day japan, but transported to a radically different setting. Some demon-overrun murder island. Your S-links determine not only your powers, but who your alliances are and who survives. day to day structure could split between training for combat, finding food/shelter, building new alliances, finding a way off, etc.

Actually, that last one sounds pretty boss. I would buy ten copies.

jcm

The 3DS can make some great graphics. If Persona 5 is a 3DS title, I guess it could look as good as Persona 3 FES/Persona 4, which is fine to me.

Yeah, Ufotable. Anyway, Pierrot Studios would be a good choice too. The best animated Bleach episodes were amazing (like that one with a fight between Hisagi and crab-like arrancar).
It was unpopular even after Persona 3. It was only after Persona 4. No, after the Persona 4 anime that it became a bit more popular.

No, 3 was pretty popular. Much more so than P1, anyway.
Code:
PS2 Persona 4	                                          10/07/08 192.812 314.835
PS2 Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne	                  20/02/03 184.700 219.700
PS2 Persona 3	                                          13/07/06 116.682 196.008
PS2 Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner	                  15/07/04  92.216  92.216
PS2 Persona 3: Fes	                                  19/04/07  90.369 146.575
PS2 Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. King Abaddon    23/10/08  88.257 119.468
PSP Persona	                                          29/04/09  79.192  93.453
NDS Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard	          21/02/08  68.913 134.347
PS2 Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. The Soulless Army 02/03/06  63.833  86.552
NDS Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor	                  15/01/09  55.466  73.726
PS2 Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner 2	                  27/01/05  51.246  51.246
PS2 Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax	          29/01/04  37.400  47.900
NDS Etrian Odyssey	                                  18/01/07  32.511  94.951
PSP Devil Summomer	                                  22/12/05  13.000  13.000

Snakeyes

Japanese society being like it is makes any social structure outside of "high school" tough to implement. College apparently wouldn't work (it's been discussed and shot down before) and I can't see anyone wanting to play "persona: salaryman edition."
Catherine was pretty much what you described and it did pretty damn well. Had some of the best writing and natural-sounding dialogue in an Atlus game too.

Soriku

It's going to have to change EVENTUALLY though (does anyone really still want to be doing the high school thing for persona 6? 7? I didn't think so) so you have a few options:

place the game in neo toyko, circa 2299, or something. Allow for a modern setting, but radically different social structure to give the game some kind of flexibility. Demons, Cyborgs, Super-mutants, you know you want this game.

have it still modern day, but remove it from Japan. Isn't Pokemon in France right now, or something?

Do a Persona: Battle Royale edition. the cast is still from modern day japan, but transported to a radically different setting. Some demon-overrun murder island. Your S-links determine not only your powers, but who your alliances are and who survives. day to day structure could split between training for combat, finding food/shelter, building new alliances, finding a way off, etc.

Actually, that last one sounds pretty boss. I would buy ten copies.

High school is Persona's core. Doubt they're going to change that. Also I really doubt they'll make some cyberpunk Persona game--they'd make a new Devil Summoner game featuring that setting before that.

Your Battle Royale concept is a little similar to Devil Survivor.

FluxWaveZ

Catherine was pretty much what you described and it did pretty damn well. Had some of the best writing and natural-sounding dialogue in an Atlus game too.

Hey, that's right. All it would take is increasing the scope of that game, replacing the nightmare sequences with an RPG-like dungeon structure ala Tartarus or the TV world, having "Social Links" be an actual mechanic outside of conversations in the bar and optional cellphone texting and in the nightmare and other stuff and that'd pretty much be what he described.

I don't see the point of Assassin's Creeding this franchise. There are other SMT games that can incorporate the ideas you want or they could come up with new IP. To me, there are elements I've come to expect out of a Persona game and "high school kids" is one of them.

I've thought of a Battle Royale-like idea incorporated into a Persona game myself, though. It'd sure be interesting.

Your Battle Royale concept is a little similar to Devil Survivor.

Nah, not quite. If that game's main focus was a select group of summoners having to kill other summoners in the location where they're trapped, then that'd be a bit more of what I look for when the comparison of "Battle Royale" arises.

The only Persona to revolve around a group that are not high schoolers is Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, even Persona 2: Innocent Sin is about high schoolers.

Dr. Buni

No, 3 was pretty popular. Much more so than P1, anyway.
I am not talking about sales, but about popularity (i.e how much you see people talking/mentioning and stuff about Persona on the internet. Five or so years ago the series was extremely obscure, specially when compared to other RPG series originated on the PSone. Anyway, for better or for worse, it got a boom in popularity after the Persona 4 anime, that is for sure.
The series got a boon after Giant Bomb's endurance run. The anime helped though.
Is that so? I didn't know about this Giant Bomb run.

Soriku

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74189499&postcount=448

[PSX] Persona (Atlus) {1996.09.20} - 201.147 / 391.556
[PSX] Persona (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {1997.06.27} - 10.970 / 17.935
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {1999.06.24} - 170.577 / 274.798
[PSX] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2000.06.29} - 119.484 / 200.103
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {200.09.14} - 3.470 / 3.470

I am not talking about sales, but about popularity (i.e how much you see people talking/mentioning and stuff about it on the internet. 5 or so years ago the series was very obscure. Anyway, for better or for worse, it got a boom in popularity after the Persona 4 anime, that is for sure.

The series got a boon after Giant Bomb's endurance run. The anime helped though.

randomkid

Persona was not an unpopular series before Persona 4, that game just helped the series reach a different audience.

Every Persona game in Japan (in case anyone else asks for another one...):

{1996-09-20} [PS1] Persona - 391,556
{1997-06-27} [PS1] Persona [PlayStation the Best] - 17,935 **
{2003-01-23} [PS1] Persona [PSOne Books] - ???
{2009-04-29} [PSP] Persona - 156,205
{2010-06-03} [PSP] Persona [Atlus Best Collection] - ???
{2010-09-16} [PSP] Persona [Best Selection] - ???

{1999-06-24} [PS1] Persona 2: Innocent Sin - 274,798
{2000-09-14} [PS1] Persona 2: Innocent Sin [PlayStation the Best] - 3,470 **
{2011-04-14} [PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin - 102,714

{2000-06-29} [PS1] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 200,103
{2011-11-22} [PS1] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment [Atlus Best Selection] - ???
{2012-05-17} [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 35,920 **

{2006-07-13} [PS2] Persona 3 - 210,319
{2007-04-19} [PS2] Persona 3 FES - 165,471
{2010-08-05} [PS2] Persona 3 FES [PlayStation 2 the Best] - 7,773 **
{2009-11-01} [PSP] Persona 3 Portable - 208,877
{2011-08-25} [PSP] Persona 3 Portable [PSP the Best] - 39,233 **

{2008-07-10} [PS2] Persona 4 - 294,214
{2010-08-05} [PS2] Persona 4 [PlayStation 2 the Best] - 43,981 **
{2012-06-14} [PSV] Persona 4 Golden - 233,523

{2012-07-26} [PS3] Persona 4 Arena - 184,997
{2012-07-26} [360] Persona 4 Arena - 11,498

??? = Unknown sales
** = No updated sales (for some is just the first week)
Source: Famitsu

Golden has since shipped 300K including digital sales. The above also doesn't include Persona 1 on Windows, which I'm sure sold 500K or so copies.

Edit: Kinda beaten.

Neoxon

It's probably gonna be a current gen (& possibly Wii U if Atlus chooses to make the game for that) title, with the PS3 version as a guarantee. I just can't see a PS4/XB1 version happening.

randomkid

I am not talking about sales, but about popularity (i.e how much you see people talking/mentioning and stuff about Persona on the internet.

This is sort of a weirdo definition of popularity but yes it is true that internet chatter about the series among a specific vocal audience has increased as a result of P4.

cj_iwakura

I had a crazy thought that they might be pulling a MGSV-esque divide for P5, with 'prequels' on the 3DS and PSV and the main game on consoles(hence the three boxes), but for Atlus, that would be insane.

Dr. Buni

This is sort of a weirdo definition of popularity but yes it is true that internet chatter about the series among a specific vocal audience has increased as a result of P4.
It as weird as judging popularity solely by how much the series sold, but you got my point.

BlackJace

I mean, don't kill off the main Persona series, but a Persona card battle game wouldn't get any objections from me. It seems like it'd fit it perfectly.

Don't kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom