• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

215142996_22jgm-L-2.jpg

I never got the love for Halo.

Salacious Crumb

codswallop said:
215142996_22jgm-L-2.jpg

I never got the love for Halo.

There's as many brilliant levels as there are shit ones, few levels today are as good as the silent cartographer or the the two betrayals. But the thing that I think is great about Halo is the way the enemy encounters are deigned. Their 30 seconds of fun philosophy is so much better than the shitty whack a mole game play that infests every FPS today.

Choc

Banned
Halo anniversary is better than any FPS produced in the last 5 years

seriously

i dont know what that says about the games industry, but it is not good.

Omikron

Choc said:
Halo anniversary is better than any FPS produced in the last 5 years

seriously

i dont know what that says about the games industry, but it is not good.

HL2:ep2 fans are going to break your fucking balls.

I must admit that my impression of Halo was formed by Halo:CE on PC whenever that eventually released. Maybe people like Halo more because there was nothing else on consoles worth playing or maybe it's truly good, but it didn't grab me.

Multiplayer was alright, I think 2 was better -- was that the one where you could design your own games? 4-player splitscreen was quite fun.

Omi said:
You're a fool too codswallop. We should start a club.
Huh. I thought I was already a charter member of this club.

Choc said:
and the PC port of halo was a dogs fucking breakfast

no wonder you guys think its shit

Maybe you can help me out Choc. I love halo but i can't find a reason to justify myself spending $70 or so dollars on a reskinned halo. Are you getting it and if so why?

The only positives i have in the purchase atm is that 3 of my mates are really keen to play some MP LAN

That's alright. Choc's just told me that the Halo Anniversary edition is now a community edition for the naysayers. I'll PM you my address in a minute.

Choc

Banned
marsh

i already have it, i got it from Microsoft in a trade for Uncharted 3 ;)

I got it last week, early.

It's worth playing the game through again in HD with HD graphics and better music. It's also not the full RRP

There is a few additions that add backstory to the game. If you find terminals in each mission there is a video 343 put in which explain the backstory of the game more, such as where the fuck guilty spark came from

It really is amazing to go through the game and flick between old and new to see how different is. So many times i didn't recognise a level until i flicked to old version (which is done with the back button and only takes 1 second)

it may be reskinned but it feels good man. They have not changed the physics engine one iota so it feels just as good as it did a decade ago.

edit: i what?

possibly, but not yet ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Halo will be better than Episode 2 when Bungie goes back in time and removes the long stretches of copy/paste corridor shooting junk. Then there's all the other, better shooters too.

Sorry Halo. You're small time.

Choc said:
marsh

i already have it, i got it from Microsoft in a trade for Uncharted 3 ;)

I got it last week, early.

It's worth playing the game through again in HD with HD graphics and better music. It's also not the full RRP

There is a few additions that add backstory to the game. If you find terminals in each mission there is a video 343 put in which explain the backstory of the game more, such as where the fuck guilty spark came from

It really is amazing to go through the game and flick between old and new to see how different is. So many times i didn't recognise a level until i flicked to old version (which is done with the back button and only takes 1 second)

it may be reskinned but it feels good man. They have not changed the physics engine one iota so it feels just as good as it did a decade ago.

edit: i what?

possibly, but not yet ;)

Ok, well if i can get from JB or something for $40 i might pick up then.

on a side note, you traded in UC3 for THIS SH!T?

:p

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:
Ok, well if i can get from JB or something for $40 i might pick up then.

on a side note, you traded in UC3 for THIS SH!T?

:p

I didn't trade it, i was given a promo copy (the ones media get)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jambo said:
I'm buying Halo HD, for some reason I just can't get enough of Halo.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST MARRY IT THEN?

Omikron

People with no taste on AusGAF:
Choc
Salacious Crumb
Jambo
Marshmellow

This is useful actually, lets me create a mental filter.

I bought COD7 and AssBro full price last year, bought COD8 full price this year and will buy AssRev full price today. They're the only games I've bought full price since the start of 2010.

I'm part of the problem.

Salacious Crumb

codswallop said:
I bought COD7 and AssBro full price last year, bought COD8 full price this year and will buy AssRev full price today. They're the only games I've bought full price since the start of 2010.

I'm part of the problem.

I think you better add Codswallop to your list Omi.

legend166

Halo was great until the Flood showed up. And then it was like HOLY CRAP WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!

Uncharted 3 impressions:

I'm enjoying the game. I'll play through it and beat it, which is an achievement. It's a fun ride. I'm around 40% through in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I don't remember the last two being so short.

There are a few things that annoy me quite a lot about the game though.

1. Drake's running animations. Well, the way he controls in general. I feel like I'm controlling a drunk person. I understand why they added all those extra animations. Because it makes him look like Indiana Jones. He's stumbling all over, pushing off walls, doing this weird "look over his shoulder and skip" thing when he changes directions. That looks good in a movie because it's telling me the guy isn't really a super hero. But in a video game, where I have to control that person, it's annoying. Really, really annoying.

2. How many times can one person scramble up a wall/ladder/roof only to have it collapse and then manage to JUST HANG ON by a couple of fingers. It happens practically every single cutscene. It's ridiculous. Naughty Dog needs to realise there is no tension at all in any of their cutscenes. It gets boring.

legend166 said:
Halo was great until the Flood showed up. And then it was like HOLY CRAP WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!

Uncharted 3 impressions:

I'm enjoying the game. I'll play through it and beat it, which is an achievement. It's a fun ride. I'm around 40% through in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I don't remember the last two being so short.

There are a few things that annoy me quite a lot about the game though.

1. Drake's running animations. Well, the way he controls in general. I feel like I'm controlling a drunk person. I understand why they added all those extra animations. Because it makes him look like Indiana Jones. He's stumbling all over, pushing off walls, doing this weird "look over his shoulder and skip" thing when he changes directions. That looks good in a movie because it's telling me the guy isn't really a super hero. But in a video game, where I have to control that person, it's annoying. Really, really annoying.

2. How many times can one person scramble up a wall/ladder/roof only to have it collapse and then manage to JUST HANG ON by a couple of fingers. It happens practically every single cutscene. It's ridiculous. Naughty Dog needs to realise there is no tension at all in any of their cutscenes. It gets boring.

Not sure how you know you are 40% of the way through Legend but i have put at least 10 hours of play in and i am probably about 80% of the way through.

Not to be a hater but point 2 sounds like a personal problem. The way the present the game through the cut scenes and with everything else going on works to keep me involved and caring from start to end (though i do agree there are too many cliche moments)

Gazunta

The only Halo game I've played was Halo Wars because some nice people gave us copies.

I liked it a lot, but I'm a sucker for console RTS games.

I don't really know what a Halo is. Master Chief is the ship's cook, right?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
These other games developers could learn from Nintendo (and heck even Bethesda + others)

Haven't we had like 15 Assasins creed games this generation? 22 Uncharteds, not to mention the 1700 Call of Duties.

It sickens me.

Choc said:
AC:R according to reviews is 1 game to many of ezio
Oh yeah, most likely. It sounds like they added a bunch of stuff in that doesn't improve the game at all (and which is what I mentioned a few weeks back in ye olde AusGAF).

But I've loved Assassin's Creed since the very first. I didn't find it boring at all -- in fact I think they've been moving in the completely wrong direction since the first game.

Salacious Crumb said:
I think you better add Codswallop to your list Omi.
Bu-bu-bu I have Breath of Death and Sequence and Frozen Synapse and Trine and stuff! Can I join the cool club again?

Gazunta said:
I don't really know what a Halo is.
A ripoff of Ringworld.

Kritz

Banned
HolyCheck said:
These other games developers could learn from Nintendo (and heck even Bethesda + others)

Haven't we had like 15 Assasins creed games this generation? 22 Uncharteds, not to mention the 1700 Call of Duties.

It sickens me.

And only three STALKERs.

And one of them wasn't very good. :(

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Gazunta said:
This is the bit where I point out 99.99% of developers don't get a choice in what they make next, right?

Ok, you know what I meant. I wasn't blaming the programmers, I mean the big wigs saying MAKE MOAR.

jambo

EatChildren said:
WHY DON'T YOU JUST MARRY IT THEN?

MAYBE I WILL. AND THEN OUR CHILDREN WILL FORM A FAMILY BAND. AND WE WILL TOUR THE COUNTRYSIDE AND YOU WON'T BE INVITED.

Omi said:
People with no taste on AusGAF:
Choc
Salacious Crumb
Jambo
Marshmellow

This is useful actually, lets me create a mental filter.

Swivel on it.

Danoss said:

Me too, last Saturday. Luckily I'm only 24 ;)

legend166

Marshmellow said:
Not sure how you know you are 40% of the way through Legend but i have put at least 10 hours of play in and i am probably about 80% of the way through.

Not to be a hater but point 2 sounds like a personal problem. The way the present the game through the cut scenes and with everything else going on works to keep me involved and caring from start to end (though i do agree there are too many cliche moments)

The save file tells me I'm 40% through.

Choc

Banned
If all that proves true, fairfax is a fucking disgrace of a media organization trying to protect one of its own

its possible news.com.au posted it all without sources, in which case they are idiots

Shaneus

Saints Row 3 is playable on PC roight now. Wonder if it's worth me firing it up over a remote connection?

Oh, Community not looking real healthy either, guys. Get over into the OT and show your support!

Omikron

Shaneus said:
Saints Row 3 is playable on PC roight now. Wonder if it's worth me firing it up over a remote connection?

Oh, Community not looking real healthy either, guys. Get over into the OT and show your support!

Remote desktop connection? Most DirectX things don't tend to work do they? (from my experience anyway)

About the only one that does is FM :p

Fredescu

The only Halo I've played is Halo 3, and I really liked it. Co-op on the higher difficulties is a lot of fun. I finished it maybe a dozen times, but I still couldn't tell you anything about the story. Also the guts level was terrible, and the quasi platforming finale was stupid. Apart from that though, it seemed a million times more interesting than these super scripted FPS campaigns that just about everyone else makes.

Card Boy

Banned
Shaneus said:

I still got 1 hour left on my Steam download. I found a WA server to connect to getting 1mb/sec. Was getting 10kb/sec everywhere else.

Skyrim/MW3 is killing Steam downloads.

Top Bottom