• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee season 2 HYPE thread of watch this show folks - it's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

Jumped in on Banshee, Amazon has S1 Blu Ray for $19 today, gonna marathon it over xmas.

Hoping the show isn't amazing as I don't want to have to add Cinemax to my monthly cable bill :p

I want to thank Gaf for recommending this show to me. Someone in the Dexter thread convinced me to watch it. I'm glad I did, because holy shit people. This show kicks ass and flaunts tits. It was quite a surprise, to be honest. I hadn't watched trailers or videos beforehand. I went in not knowing anything about the show. This certainly added to my enjoyment of it.

I didn't like how the show portrayed Rebecca as a whore for having casual sex with Hood, though. She's an adult; she can have sex with whomever the hell she wants and without being called out for it. I hope season 2 portrays her leaving the Hamish community in a positive light; she should rightfully have the life she wants to have.

Another thing: Rabbit should have died. This arc should have ended for good. With him having survived, the show only risks stretching the plot too thin. I don't want this to become Dexter.

In any case, I am looking forward to season 2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I didn't like how the show portrayed Rebecca as a whore for having casual sex with Hood, though. She's an adult; she can have sex with whomever the hell she wants and without being called out for it. I hope season 2 portrays her leaving the Hamish community in a positive light; she should rightfully have the life she wants to have.

What do you mean "the show portrayed Rebecca as a whore"? I don't think that was the case at all..

I want to thank Gaf for recommending this show to me. Someone in the Dexter thread convinced me to watch it. I'm glad I did, because holy shit people. This show kicks ass and flaunts tits. It was quite a surprise, to be honest. I hadn't watched trailers or videos beforehand. I went in not knowing anything about the show. This certainly added to my enjoyment of it.

Another thing: Rabbit should have died. This arc should have ended for good. With him having survived, the show only risks stretching the plot too thin. I don't want this to become Dexter.

In any case, I am looking forward to season 2.

She was portrayed as sexy as fuck... a whore though...? I didn't feel that.

There is a creepy incestuous vibe between Proctor and Rebecca though.

The episode in which she gets banished from the community had an accusatory vibe to it. She gets banned, then goes to her uncle's who later beats and berates her for her "lewd" behavior. I got a feeling of accusation and finger-pointing from the part of the writers while watching the scene, as if they were proclaiming: "See ! See what happens when you have loveless sex ?! Everybody will shun you."

I thought that was at odd with the unprudish tone of the show. Maybe I misinterpreted the events, but that's what I took from it.

The episode in which she gets banished from the community had an accusatory vibe to it. She gets banned, then goes to her uncle's who later beats and berates her for her "lewd" behavior. I got a feeling of accusation and finger-pointing from the part of the writers while watching the scene, as if they were proclaiming: "See ! See what happens when you have loveless sex ?! Everybody will shun you."

I thought that was at odd with the unprudish tone of the show. Maybe I misinterpreted the events, but that's what I took from it.

Wut? It's because they're Mormon. Other characters in the show have lots of sex without any judgement

Clevinger

IMO, that's the problem with reading too much into what characters do or say and thinking they're the writer's opinions. Like all the times people say X or Y writer is racist or misogynistic or whatever because some of their asshole characters are.

I don't think it was accusatory at all so much as showing how both sides of Rebecca's family treat her like garbage, and how she thought she was going to a better situation but it turned out her uncle was much more crazy than her super religious family.

Wut? It's because they're Mormon.

Amish.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I don't think the writers were layering their own beliefs/judgements into the writing. As Discotheque said, all the other characters on the show have lots of sex without any judgements whatsoever - Rebecca was being judged/shunned by her family, however, because that's exactly what Amish people do to those who want to leave their communities / have premarital sex. Kai has his own brand of crazy that stemmed from having been raised within that community, so he too condemned her despite having his own "deviant" sexual proclivities.

Decado

I got my blu-ray copy in the mail recently. Trying to decide whether to re-watch before S2 starts or just look at the extras. Banshee Origins sounds cool.

They ran a bunch of Banshee promos at the UFC event last night, and some of the cast was in attendance. Apparently this guy is a fan of the show, too:

sEXyjnj.jpg

UrbanRats

Started watching this show (2 episodes, so far) i can see why you people like it.
Seems fun and i predict a lot of nudity.

Started watching this show (2 episodes, so far) i can see why you people like it.

Opening two episodes are nothing, just you wait...

Honestly, this show goes through as big, if not bigger jump in quality than Blood and Sand did after episode 4.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

That's a sage assessment, dare I say.

Honestly, this show goes through as big, if not bigger jump in quality than Blood and Sand did after episode 4.

The contrast between the first and the final episodes is like "wut?"

UrbanRats

During episode 2 i feared it would devolve into too much teen drama, and have that Deva "YOU WEREN'T THERE WHEN I NEEDED YOU DAD!" scene, go the way of Homeland, basically, but fortunately they don't seem too concerned with that plotline.
and If it's there, hopefully it'll not intrude too much.

During episode 2 i feared it would devolve into too much teen drama, and have that Deva "YOU WEREN'T THERE WHEN I NEEDED YOU DAD!" scene, go the way of Homeland, basically, but fortunately they don't seem too concerned with that plotline.
and If it's there, hopefully it'll not intrude too much.

You know, at first, I thought Deva was gonna be just a generically awful American teenager character.

Surprisingly, she's very tolerant.

Unlike what-her-face from Homeland.

I bought the first season on boxing day, and I plan to re-watch all of the episodes before season two starts.

I can't wait, as this was one of my favourite shows last year...

yeah this show was a huge surprise for me. props to brianjones for letting me know about it. would never have come across it tbh.

i think it's the best action series out at the moment. edging out strike back possibly.

Decado

No no no. The first 2 eps of Banshee are still tons of fun...not to mention ep 2 where we first get to see the Amish beauty.

The first 2 or 3 eps of Blood and Sand are parody-level bad. Love that series, though. Really hope STARZ gets a great replacement for it in Black Sails.

i think it's the best action series out at the moment. edging out strike back possibly.

Naaaaaaaah bruh. Strike Back basically did the Uncharted 2 train set piece at the end of their last season. That was at tail end of an entire season of ridiculous action set pieces. Banshee is great at what it does, but Strike Back is the king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom