• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: Fault Line Series (Campaign Trailer) [Up 4: More Pre-Order Goodies]

JackEtc

wwm0nkey said:
Well guess they really where not shitting us when they said it ran on one GTX580.

Even more confirmation that DICE are gods.
I was surprised as well. Although, it was almost too easy to see that machine......
*suspicious*

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DICE: Our competitors are getting lazy. We're coming for them.

Battlefield 3 developer DICE has thrown down the gauntlet in the raging battle for first-person shooter supremacy, warning its rivals: We're coming for you.

Speaking in the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine - which is arriving with subscribers now - DICE general manager, Karl-Magnus Troedsson was more than confident in his stunning FPS, cautioning the competition: "they had better watch out".

"Our competitors are getting lazy," he said. "They're using the same engine, the same recipe for building a game. At some point you need to take that leap. I haven't seen them take that leap since a long time ago.

"We are doing that now. They had better watch out. We are coming for them."
So true.

EA DICE PKM Gun Recording
http://vimeo.com/20869893

wwm0nkey

JackEtc said:
I was surprised as well. Although, it was almost too easy to see that machine......
*suspicious*
Nah I have faith in DICE, really though if it is running on just one GTX580 it seems most people wont have to worry about running this game at all.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
wwm0nkey said:
Nah I have faith in DICE, really though if it is running on just one GTX580 it seems most people wont have to worry about running this game at all.

Maybe my sarcasmdecetor is broken, but are you saying that people won't be having performancewoes since the game is "only" running on the most powerful single gpu out there?

wwm0nkey

Corky said:
Maybe my sarcasmdecetor is broken, but are you saying that people won't be having performancewoes since the game is "only" running on the most powerful single gpu out there?
Some people seemed to be worried about running this even remotely decently.

EDIT: Also like was said below more optimization can happen. For me I will just SLI my 470.

[Nintex]

Corky said:
Yes, because there's a long way till release and a lot of optimization can be done untill then. Not to mention that you can get framerate increases by turning down the AA a notch. People with GTX580 cards would have incredible monitors as well while people who're still rocking somewhat older hardware don't have monitors with such an high resolution.

Chinner

Banned
I want an actual FPS that has some kind of pacing elements in them. COD has made every shooter into really fast paced, boring shooters that don't seem to understand that you need the low points to appreciate the high points (think the village scene after the train chase in UC2). You use the low points to establish the setting, build atmosphere and story elements.

That's why I'm actually looking forward to BF3, we don't actually know much at the moment, but the footage we've seen implies that it does this, and it's fairly modest at what it does. It's not like some huge stupid RUSSIA VS AMERICA VS THE MOON plotline, while it glamorizer's war and shooting people for 6 hours.

[Nintex]

Chinner said:
I want an actual FPS that has some kind of pacing elements in them. COD has made every shooter into really fast paced, boring shooters that don't seem to understand that you need the low points to appreciate the high points (think the village scene after the train chase in UC2). You use the low points to establish the setting, build atmosphere and story elements.

That's why I'm actually looking forward to BF3, we don't actually know much at the moment, but the footage we've seen implies that it does this, and it's fairly modest at what it does. It's not like some huge stupid RUSSIA VS AMERICA VS THE MOON plotline, while it glamorizer's war and shooting people for 6 hours.
I believe it was George Broussard who tweeted: "Imagine Half Life 3 looking like BF3" and I started to think about that and nearly creamed my pants.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Chinner said:
I want an actual FPS that has some kind of pacing elements in them.

I also want to play Half life 3. But Valve has become worse than Blizzard in my book. We'll see WoW 2 and Diablo 8 before we see HL3.

As long as Valve has steam there is zero financial incentive to produce a AAAAA game like HL3. Just keep the steam (...) going and let's forget about everything.

/jaded

No_Style

Chinner said:
You use the low points to establish the setting, build atmosphere and story elements.

More recent COD games do have do have low points that build atmosphere, but they're just really, really brief. I remember wandering through some underground bunker seeing injured soldiers etc and calm after the
EMP detonation

I also consider the Ghillie suit mission in COD4 and other missions like that to be an atmosphere building mission.

Chinner

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I believe it was George Broussard who tweeted: "Imagine Half Life 3 looking like BF3" and I started to think about that and nearly creamed my pants.
god, the thought of that makes me giddy.

adamsappel said:
It wasn't playable by the public, but we got to sit in a group of 24 and watch a guy from DICE play it on a souped-up PC. It looked incredible. All the footage from the trailer is part of the demo. The environmental destruction was impressive. Every car could be blown up, you could shoot out cover that blocked your way, etc. Be very excited for this one!

Did you notice any non-scripted destruction? I mean cars can be blown up in COD games too. I am afraid every situation where a building can go down will be scripted as hell.

[Nintex] said:

Whelp, that puts my entire weekend out. Gonna need to fap for 2 days straight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
[Nintex] said:
A new generation of begging for a new Valve engine begins.

wwm0nkey

You know to advertise this game when the Demo hits (you know there will be a demo) they should do the viral 360 message advertisement.

Basically you click a button that will unlock, lets say a second map or special weapon but when you click it, it also messages all of your friends to download the demo and try it out.

Its a good trick and would totally get people to try out the demo and probably boost sales on the 360 where CoD is more popular.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
E3 will have an epic confrontation this year. I fully expect EA to troll Activision and show Battlefield 3 right after MW3 at the Microsoft press conference.

Is EA's conference taking place on the same day as Microsoft's?

^Scott^

Neo Member
SolidSnakex said:
Is EA's conference taking place on the same day as Microsoft's?
Last year it was the same day. Microsoft @ 10am, then EA @ 2pm. Different venues of course. Haven't heard of any days / times for this year yet.

derFeef

As for use of the Frostbite 2.0 engine. I would love to see some kind of superhero game in it. Uhm, maybe Hulk! Hulk smash ripping apart the street and so on.

[Nintex] said:
I'm doubtful Valve would have the awesome destructibility from Frostbite 2.0 in their next engine. It would be incredible if they did though... I just doubt it for some reason. God I wish FB was licensable middleware rather than exclusive.

Heavy said:
I'm doubtful Valve would have the awesome destructibility from Frostbite 2.0 in their next engine. It would be incredible if they did though... I just doubt it for some reason. God I wish FB was licensable middleware rather than exclusive.
and Episode 2 did have a big leap in destructibility even though it was just prefab with amazing physics. as seen in this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtPnopOVF0c&hd=1

so I wouldn't count out Valve, since they've been spending an awfully long amount of time developing Episode 3...

Blader

Chittagong said:
It's been 5 years since Episode 2.

5 years.

That's almost worth a thread alone.

Hmm...I think it's been 3.5 years since episode 2 came out.

Episode 1 is what came out 5 years ago.

adamsappel said:
I could try and answer any specific questions if you had any.

I have a mother load of questions for you. I hope you're still checking this thread in order to answer them. If you don't answer in a couple of days I will PM you to ask you to come back - but by then the second part to the video will be out for our viewing glory - but I'll still want these questions answered if possible :)

1. Could you tell that if the guy with the RPG fired the rocket at any random building face (or not necessarily at where the enemy was hiding) that the same 'blow half the front of the building off' would have happened? What I'm wondering is - can you tell if the destruction stuff in the SP is scripted to certain events that you have to do in order to cause that destruction.

2. How detailed is the destruction. If you've played BF:BC2 you know that when you shoot a bullet into a wooden fence that whole 'section' blows out. When he went up to the high area and blew the cover out of the way, was it like in BC2 where you shoot a bullet into a section and it blows away (and is albeit totally unrealistic) or was it actually accurate bullet damage? It sounds like you have to specifically shoot away the edges to knock the whole cover out, but I'd like to know for sure.

4. Did you notice during any firefights if the cover was getting chipped away slightly by bullet fire? Like if someone was standing around a concrete corner, could you see the bullets slowly ripping into the corner of the building slowly eroding the concrete?

5. Does the debris from destruction stay around? Like if something gets destroyed, glass and wood and bits and pieces go everywhere - does that stuff fade out like in BC2 or does all of that debris stay? I really REALLY hope it stays, because if that's the case then I simply cannot wait to fucken blow the fuck out of some maps. It will simply be fun to just try and destroy everything and see what the engine can do with a complete wasteland... oh god I'm GIDDY just thinking about it. There has not been a game yet that has come even close to the real type of destructibility and correct physics that I want in a shooter and as you can probably tell from my questions they're pointed towards the destruction and how it works in general because of this...

6. I doubt you could answer this, but I want to know if you shoot your team mate in the leg while you're in the quite 'movement' bits during any non combat bits, will that guy then have a leg injury or will some blood spurt, he'll say "check your fire" and keep running like nothing happened? Basically, I want to know if your team mates getting hurt is scripted. Could you sit there behind cover for ages, let your entire squad get wiped and then take on the whole next few sections by yourself?

Thanks Mang :D

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Nice to see that finally some devs are actually working in bringing the guns sound as most realistic as possible.

They seem to be one of the few. And have been doing it since BC1.

This is on a whole other level though.

wwm0nkey

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Nice to see that finally some devs are actually working in bringing the guns sound as most realistic as possible.
The last game I remember doing that was CoD2. You know when IW still cared.

I have no doubt in my mind that this will knock COD off of the top of the charts. I just hope that DICE doesn't go and start yearly releases and all that crap.

I don't think it will knock cod off its perch? U really think so? I think / know it'll be a better game but you give the mindless drones too much credit.

Often they won't play something or even try it out because "its not COD"... Why would they all of a sudden change?

Many people much prefer the 'feel' of COD and BF certainly has a different feel. And crappy gun wobble...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is it possible to assemble a gaming rig that's not the size of the usual huge PC case, and that would run Battlefield 3 really well?

I'm kind of tempted of getting an "end of the console generation" PC for the next few years and hook it up to my TV and 5.1, but I don't know where to start looking for one.

ColonialRaptor said:
The comparison these days is like the difference between the Wii and the PS3/360 at launch. So PC is like the HD consoles and the PS3/360 is the Wii.

It sucks... just 6 months ago and I was completely COMPLETELY happy with the graphics on Consoles, but now... you can see in EVERY game that they are cutting corners all over the place to keep certain elements of the graphics high. Killzone 3 as an example I think looks worse than Killzone 2 in many places.

Since I got my 5970 I think I've been spoiled... hah

I agree with this and I'm a console only owner. The story of Pax East 2011 for me was how much of a leap in graphics the PC has over consoles. My God!!! I mean Dragon Nest was my game of the show. Yes it's true.
I know Master Race GAF has been telling us this for a while now but now I see the light.
Too bad I will probably continue to wait it out for the next consoles as that is where I am most comfortable. Sucks for me. =/

CitizenCope said:
I agree with this and I'm a console only owner. The story of Pax East 2011 for me was how much of a leap in graphics the PC has over consoles. My God!!! I mean Dragon Nest was my game of the show. Yes it's true.
I know Master Race GAF has been telling us this for a while now but now I see the light.
Too bad I will probably continue to wait it out for the next consoles as that is where I am most comfortable. Sucks for me. =/
Yeah, its almost like every game has some graphical or gameplay element that is not up to scratch. You can see that they are trying as hard as they can, but the power of the HW is limiting their visions.

It'll be very interesting to see how bf3 ends up for the consoles because dices goal is to deliver a next gen game on old gen HW. Because the PC version will really be the real example of the next gen, it will great to see just how much they have to cut out to make the games work on the consoles...

Gaogaogao

Chittagong said:
Is it possible to assemble a gaming rig that's not the size of the usual huge PC case, and that would run Battlefield 3 really well?

I'm kind of tempted of getting an "end of the console generation" PC for the next few years and hook it up to my TV and 5.1, but I don't know where to start looking for one.
use a micro atx motherboard and case

Messing around in the new PC-GAF mumble server last night and someone said that DICE would be tasteless to release part 2 of the Fault-line series tomorrow in light of the incidents that took place in Japan and stuff... any thoughts?

Pete Rock

You could make the argument that any contemporary shooter in a middle eastern setting is tasteless, regardless of any historical proximity to natural disasters that occur within that context. I'm still excited to see what they have in store for us.

derFeef

Cuban Legend said:
Messing around in the new PC-GAF mumble server last night and someone said that DICE would be tasteless to release part 2 of the Fault-line series tomorrow in light of the incidents that took place in Japan and stuff... any thoughts?
I thought about this as well. I am sure they are having discussions at DICE, assuming it is the earthquake video.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
Wow. Thanks. Now I can't make my thread because you popped the question cherry. Have fun getting messed around with in Mumble tonight.

Stallion Free said:
Wow. Thanks. Now I can't make my thread because you popped the question cherry. Have fun getting messed around with in Mumble tonight.
I can't remember you seriously considering making a thread, It sounded like you were going to post it in this thread since people in general gaming might not be following BF3.

You can still make that thread if you like, I waited until this afternoon to see if you had asked the question already but you didn't...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
I can't remember you seriously considering making a thread, It sounded like you were going to post it in this thread since people in general gaming might not be following BF3.

You can still make that thread if you like, I waited until this afternoon to see if you had asked the question already but you didn't...
Damage is done. You upset one of the Mumble server gods. Not a wise thing to do my man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
derFeef said:
I thought about this as well. I am sure they are having discussions at DICE, assuming it is the earthquake video.
I'm guessing they'll release a video of BF3 but I don't think the quake will be in it. Maybe we'll get some MP footage instead?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
RoboPlato said:
I'm guessing they'll release a video of BF3 but I don't think the quake will be in it. Maybe we'll get some MP footage instead?
That would be nice.
Wasnt the quake the end of the demo? The trailer should be about the crumbling hotel building.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fersis said:
That would be nice.
Wasnt the quake the end of the demo? The trailer should be about the crumbling hotel building.
Is it confirmed that this was a 3 part series? I figured this would have the hotel and the quake. You're probably right about it focusing on the hotel.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
RoboPlato said:
Is it confirmed that this was a 3 part series? I figured this would have the hotel and the quake. You're probably right about it focusing on the hotel.
Not at all its just crazy talk by me.

.___·

I haven't been following BF news at all. I have two questions, will the highlight enemy feature in Bad Company 2 be returning? I thought that was really where you could press select and a little orange cursor would be above them. And also, will there be squad and the different presets (Medic, Assault)

Ok i got to ask, i am a console gamer, i have never played in the MASTER RACE (PC) but i have played MEDAL OF HONOR in consoles and to my knowledge it was DICE who made the online multiplayer of MEDAL OF HONOR, and i don´t know if y´all remember but the online part of MEDAL OF HONOR was a total disaster, i didn´t like it at all. How can now with the release of BATTLEFIELD 3 i can be sure that DICE will make a good online multiplayer with the game?

PS: Please don´t eat me alive.

Top Bottom