• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN/ORC Iowa: Sanders 51%, Clinton 43%; Trump 37%, Cruz 26%

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebbble

I would personally support Sanders, but I'm only a student of American politics, not a citizen :)

Interestingly, his campaign reminds me of McGovern's... Huge grassroots support. Hopefully it doesn't end with a historic defeat akin to McGovern's loss to Nixon in the general.

Both are largely against establishment politics.
This is one of the paramount concerns I have with the political system in the USA at the moment.

What is so hard to understand? Maybe that I don't care much for party politics is hard to grasp?

So you'd be okay with a racist, homophobic, misogynistic anti-establishment president?

PoliticalGaf is really weird when it comes to sanders and Hillary. I don't understand how dismissive some are towards sanders or anything that could be seen as negative FOR Hillary.

And, this willful ignorance that is being displayed about Sanders talking about planned parenthood reminds me of when Obama had his line of "you didn't built that" turned around, contorted and spit out by Foxnews for weeks.

Even mentioning the emails bit gets you shot at. I cant give two shits about her emails, but the right does, and they are going to push the shit out of them to the point of turning off independents. If it was any other year, I would be really concerned about the primary, but since its against the likes of Trump or Cruz, I think she might be OK if that's the case.

sphagnum

Banned
I know their policies are at odds in many areas.

The good thing with not being on one parties lap is the fact that I can decide issue-by-issue where I land.

Both Sanders and Trump have ideas I agree and disagree with. Again my most paramount issue (establishment politics) is in line with both candidates.

Unique opinions are hard.

In what ways do you expect a Trump presidency to be beneficial? Do you expect Donald Trump to actually try to push campaign finance reform or break the two party system or something?

Just because someone declares themselves "anti-establishment" doesn't mean they're good. It's their policies that makes them worth voting for.

first part is only true if we assume Trump literally hasn't changed his position at all since the 1990s

second part is demonstrably false looking at their statements from this campaign (Sanders as basically Obama minus drones, Trump as... whatever the hell claiming a country that's not us is "winning" entails)

so basically, you only vote for Trump as a #BernWard patient if you care about killing superpacs/the TPP to the exclusion of literally every other issue, or if you just don't give a shit about policy and want the nebulous "establishment" to eat a dick, or if you think brown people and women have it too good

danm999

Even mentioning the emails bit gets you shot at. I cant give two shits about her emails, but the right does, and they are going to push the shit out of them to the point of turning off independents. If it was any other year, I would be really concerned about the primary, but since its against the likes of Trump or Cruz, I think she might be OK if that's the case.

Majority of independents stopped caring about the email thing last year.

Bernie's "I'm sick of hearing about your damn emails" and the 11 hour Benghazi hearing only accelerated that.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
In what ways do you expect a Trump presidency to be beneficial? Do you expect Donald Trump to actually try to push campaign finance reform or break the two party system or something?

Just because someone declares themselves "anti-establishment" doesn't mean they're good. It's their policies that makes them worth voting for.

I expect any anti-establishment President to actually fight for what they believe and not give into the pressures of controlling interests.

Like I said I agree and disagree with aspects of both Bernie and Trump.
What I do like is they would each stand their ground and to me that means actual meaningful change.

Initially neither Bernie or Sanders would be able to get anything through the establishment controlled congress and senate. After some time of that will be pressure to change to anti-establishment from the top and the electorate.

One step at a time towards a goal that is very important to me.

Majority of independents stopped caring about the email thing last year.

Bernie's "I'm sick of hearing about your damn emails" and the 11 hour Benghazi hearing only accelerated that.

The Right is probably saving their best shots for the primary, in my opinion. It will get horrible. There will be tons of misinformation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I expect any anti-establishment President to actually fight for what they believe and not give into the pressures of controlling interests.

What I do like is they would each stand their ground and to me that means actual meaningful change.

Initially neither Bernie nor Sanders would be able to get anything through the establishment controlled congress and senate. After some time of that will be pressure to change to anti-establishment from the top and the electorate.

Oh, so this is trolling. Carry on then.

The Right is probably saving their best shots for the primary, in my opinion. It will get horrible. There will be tons of misinformation.

The GOP is incapable of saving their ammo, they have Clinton tourettes. The second they think they have something they fire it off, they can't help themselves.

awesome, his momentum will only build from here

i think he's gonna take it
3d3N5Rq_700wa_0.gif

the right has shown a fundamental incapability to actually save their best shots over the last two election cycles, like how they blew their entire wad re: Wright and Ayers et al before we were even halfway through 2008

This is one of the paramount concerns I have with the political system in the USA at the moment.

What is so hard to understand? Maybe that I don't care much for party politics is hard to grasp?

Although I'm not a huge fan of Bernie, I can say this about him: he opposes the political establishment because he sincerely believes that they're an unrepresentative elite unfairly dominating US politics at the expense of the public welfare.

Donald Trump opposes the establishment because they are an obstacle to him gaining power.

And I'm assuming that you oppose the establishment because you lack the intellectual curiosity to develop a coherent belief system and simply respond to the angriest voices in the room.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I don't see why unique opinions formed independently are such a hard thing for some in this thread to grasp.

I feel no matter how much I explain my stance/opinion people here will be as dismissive as ever and wash it off as trolling.

And I'm assuming that you oppose the establishment because you lack the intellectual curiosity to develop a coherent belief system and simply respond to the angriest voices in the room.

And the personal attacks.
The angriest voices in this room are those like yourself.

You probably should.

You realize that both Berine and Trump as the potential chance to have extremely low allies in congress to the point were they can't get anything done ? Also have a chance to have a 2014 or 2006 midterms were it is a guarantee that they absolutely won't change anything and the establishment. Do you even know the powers the President has and what it would take to change/get rid of the establishment ?

Initially neither Bernie or Sanders would be able to get anything through the establishment controlled congress and senate. After some time of that will be pressure to change to anti-establishment from the top and the electorate.

1. Yeah, nothing better than a president who would do horrible things to marginalized groups of people and not balk at political pushback!

2. "Bernie or Sanders"

I don't see why unique opinions formed independently are such a hard thing for some in this thread to grasp.

I feel no matter how much I explain my stance/opinion people here will be as dismissive as ever and wash it off as trolling.

How about you explain why you're okay with Trump's horrid, discriminatory views he's taken against multiple groups.

That's good for Bernie, but I doubt it will mean much. As others have said, Iowa, New Hampshire, and Vermont are his three best states. In addition, the Iowa caucus structure means those votes might not translate into very many delegates. However, I do love Ol' Bernie so fingers crossed that he does well anyway.

Iksenpets

Banned

An opinion being "unique" and "independently formed" doesn't do anything to protect it from being bad. Your opinion is most definitely unique, but it still makes no sense.

params7

Banned
first part is only true if we assume Trump literally hasn't changed his position at all since the 1990s

second part is demonstrably false looking at their statements from this campaign (Bernie as basically Obama minus drones, Trump as... whatever the hell claiming a country that's not us is "winning" entails)

I should be more specific - Middle East politics. Both are anti-interventionists and won't fund anti-government movements in the region. Bernie believes in some magical coalition among Arabs in the sectarian crisis lighting up Iraq et al whereas Trump believes in coalition with Russia in bombing ISIS and propping up Assad. Bernie needs to come to terms with reality on this one.

I feel like Trump's highly improvising with his foreign economic politics in his speeches. Definitely wants U.S. to start making more money out off trade and security but if he can do that without ruining relations remains to be seen.

I should be more specific - Middle East politics. Both are anti-interventionists and won't fund anti-government movements in the region. Bernie believes in some magical coalition among Arabs in the sectarian crisis lighting up Iraq et al whereas Trump believes in coalition with Russia in bombing ISIS and propping up Assad. Bernie needs to come to terms with reality on this one.

I feel like Trump's highly improvising with his foreign economic politics in his speeches. Definitely wants U.S. to start making more money out off trade and security but if he can do that without ruining relations remains to be seen.

ah. yeah, in that case they're very much similar, but that's also not exactly what I'd limit my specification of foreign policy to :p

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Not sure how you could like both equally. They're pretty different on a lot of issues. I'd definitely prefer Bernie to win the Presidency.

Trump's my #2 choice though.

If it were Trump V Sanders I would vote Sanders as things stand today.
Trump is my #2 as well.

Never said I liked them both 50/50. Just that I think they are the best each respective party has to offer when it comes to alignment with the issues I feel are most important.

Maybe a crazy dream world where Sanders chooses Trump as VP?

Not sure how you could like both equally. They're pretty different on a lot of issues. I'd definitely prefer Bernie to win the Presidency.

Trump's my #2 choice though.

They seem to appeal to a similar demographic. People seem surprised to see statements like the one he made, but that demographic wins/or is fine if either one of them wins.

Trump is my #2 as well.

Never said I liked them both 50/50. Just that I think they are the best each respective party has to offer when it comes to alignment with the issues I feel are most important.

Okay that makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think Sanders and Trump would get along as President-VP otherwise I'd be all over that ticket.

Trump is my #2 as well.

Ooh, how exciting So our VP would be someone who wants to oppress marginalized people.

Seriously, you need to realize something.

You can't support Trump if you don't also support his horrid views as well. That you hold Trump in such high esteem tells me that these groups being harmed is acceptable to you as long as an anti-establishment president is the one harming them.

Tesseract

Banned
bernie / warren 2016 would be the goat presidency of all time

father eisenhower would rise from his gwave to salute its excellence

plus, don't you guys want to see o'reilly move to ireland?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They seem to appeal to a similar demographic. People seem surprised to see statements like the one he made, but that demographic wins/or is fine if either one of them wins.

People are only surprised to hear my opinion on this forum.
My friends, family, and colleagues can grasp where I am coming from. It has sparked many fantastic conversations where I get to learn more about their political ideas and they can learn more about mine.

My friends, family, and colleagues can grasp where I am coming from. It has sparked many fantastic conversations where I get to learn more about their political ideas and they can learn more about mine.

GAF is a pretty liberal forum. Here Trump is nothing short of the devil.

So you're just not even explaining your position on his bigoted viewpoints.

ivysaur12

Banned
Meanwhile, Bernie's numbers continue to improve the more exposure he gets.

Clinton is no longer the safer choice. She's damaged goods, and a lot of you people are in denial about it.

If you're going to post the same pictures for the thousandth time, we can also remind you why these numbers are sort of useless before the general and the favorability issue on the Republican side and why Bernie's favorability numbers are tenuous due to a lack of exposure to the wider electorate.

But go ahead, keep posting the same damn thing with zero context!

I don't fully understand the American system, so I have a question.

If Bernie wins the presidency, can republicans block absolutely everything he tries to change, by the fact they control the house of representatives and the senate?

HylianTom

Banned
bernie / warren 2016 would be the goat presidency of all time

father eisenhower would rise from his gwave to salute its excellence

plus, don't you guys want to see o'reilly move to ireland?

In that event, I'd want two TVs in my living room on Inauguration Day: one showing the parade and the swearing-in, and one following O'Reilly to the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom