• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom 2013 Info & Summary Thread

Kinan

Spoiler-Free Sony Gamescom Conference Thread

Xbox Conference Video highlights

DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET SPOILED!

Impressions from the show floor thread

gamescom2013bannerqjzma.jpg

INTRODUCTION

Inspired by excellent Amirox E3 Summary Threads, I decided to make a similar thread for the biggest European video game conference - Gamescom
in Cologne, Germany. I will update the thread each day with new information as thoroughly and as fast as I can. The format will not change, so for
every news item you will see words "Link" and "Thread", pointing to the info unit or Neogaf thread on the topic, correspondingly.

To make it easier for me to track the threads, please use [Gamescom] tags in thread titles for threads you create. You are of course welcome
to pm me the news I have missed or to post the corresponding links here in this thread. Hopefully you guys and girls will find this thread helpful.

GENERAL GAMESCOM INFO

First of all, for Gaffers going to visit the Gamescom, do not miss The GAF Meet-up Thread by The Dutch Slayer.

The trade show is open for trade visitors starting from 21 August and for general public from 22 August. I personally will be there in the afternoon
of 21st, wearing a white Germany/Australia/Florida T-Shirt, so see you around!

You can find the all the exhibitors here, Wikipedia has a pretty good overview about all the presented games by them. And in case you are going there,
here is detailed look at the hall plans.

For GAF the main show starts on 20th August with Microsoft, EA and Sony holding press events.

Microsoft: FINISHED! Thread here: Xbox Gamescom Media Briefing / Showcase . Conference Highlights Video here: Xbox Showcase

EA: FINISHED! Thread here: EA Gamescom Press Conference

Sony: FINISHED! GAF could not survive all the awesome. Shatters of the thread are here: Sony Gamescom Press Conference |OT| Let Us Dream

Official Gamescom Apps:

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insideguidance.gamescom&hl=en

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gamescom-app-official-guide/id549880991?mt=8

PC/MULTIPLATFORM/MISC

mpbannerwyaca.jpg

Updated at August 19, 14:02 CET

● Electronic Arts announced their Gamescom lineup with TitanFall and Battlefield4 being playable on the show floor. (Link, Thread)
● Thief [PC/PS4/PS3/X1/X360] Gamescom Trailer is released and the game will launch on 25th February 2014 in North America and 28th February 2014 in Europe. (Link, Thread)
● Square Enix rather modest Gamescom lineup has been revealed. FF15 and KH3 will be present only as part of trailer shows. (Link, Thread)
● Battlefield 4 [PC/PS4/PS3/X1/X360] teaser trailer is released, probably hinting on all new Dinosaur mode. Or trying to capture an attention of that lucrative 65+ market.
Or maybe it just doesn't make any sense at all. (Link, Thread)
● Ubisoft Gamescom lineup reveal has everything you would expect as well as teasing of a new next-gen IP, speculated to be called "Fighter Within". (Link , Thread1, Thread2 )
● Konami: mini-lineup for Gamescom was revealed, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Ultimate Edition & PES 2014 will be playable. (Link)
● Blizzard is holding a press conference at Gamescom at 11:30 CET/ 5:30 ET, 21st of August. It seems to be likely that first expansion pack for Diablo 3 will be announced, given that the teaser site is online. ( Link,Thread)
● Activision announced their Gamescom lineup with CoD:Ghosts, Destiny and Skylanders Swap Force. The latter is being playable at Sony booth. (Link)
● Child of Light - intriguing downloadable next-gen title from Ubisoft is showcased in a session at GDC Europe by Far Cry 3 director Patrick Plourde. It using Ubi-Art Framework tech developed for the Rayman series and influenced by Japanese games like Final Fantasy VI and artists like Hayao Miyazaki and Yoshitaka Amano. (Link,Thread)

August 20, 17:20 CET

● World of Warplanes Gamescom trailer and screens released and release date revealed to be 24-25 of November. Most likely will be as addictive as World of Tanks.(Link, Thread)
● TitanFall new gameplay was shown at EA conference, looks mighty fun. (Link, Thread)
● Battlefield 4 next-gen had also very impressive multiplayer shown with promises of 60fps and 64 players on next gen platforms. (Link, Thread)

August 21, 11:40 CET

● Lightning Returns Gamescom trailer is released. (Link, Thread)
● Call of Duty Ghost Nextgen upgrade plan is revealed to be a surprisingly good deal. For $10, €10 or £10 you can upgrade your PS360 version to a PS4One. (Link, Thread)
● PES 2014 Official Gamescom Trailer is released and the demo date is set for 11th of September. So much for the August demo plans. (Link, Thread)
*VISITING GAMESCOM*

August 22, 10:30 CET

● LEGO Marver Super Heroes Official Gamescom Trailer is released. (Link, Thread)
● Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse aka Broken Sword 5 [PC, PSV, iOS, Android] Official Gamescom Trailer is released. (Link, Thread)
● Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 [PC, PS3, X360] Gamescom Gamepla Trailer is there. (Link, Thread)
● Murdered: Soul Suspect [PC, PS3, X360] Gamescom Trailer is out. (Link, Thread)
● Rocksmith 2014 [PC, PS3, X360] Trailer. (Link, Thread)
● Diablo 3 [PC, PS3, X360] expansion announced at Blizzard conference - Reaper of Souls. Adds 1 (one) new class and 1 (one) act. (Link, Thread)
● Battlefield 4 Multiplayer videos are coming out faster than I can type. Check this thread to dive into mayhem. (Thread)

August 23, 11:07 CET

● Witcher 3 [PC, PS4, X1] Gamescom screenshots released, looks very, very good. I'll say amazing, if CD Projekt RED will send me a copy of that manly Witcher 3 promo-puzzle.
Also check the thread with detailed description of the Witcher 3 gamescom demo by Dawg. (Thread, Thread)
● Destiny team used Gamescom to showcase the current state of the game. Check out gameplay videos and Destiny news thread for more details. (Link, Thread)
● FIFA14 next gen video is released, looks rather similar to old gen, if you ask me. Still, at least they are getting next-gen version out this year. Yea, I'm looking at you, Konami. (Link, Thread)

MICROSOFT

msbannerffj2x.jpg

Updated at August 19, 09:45 CET

● Microsoft contrary to a popular GAF opinion does not really want to give up Europe to Sony without a fight, so they are hyping the conference by releasing
Xbox Gamescom Announcement Video (Link, Thread) and by hinting on one new exclusive title reveal (Thread). Hopefully this is not something from their 2015 lineup.
● Microsofts biggest Gamescom surprise - self-publishing for independent developers - was spoiled in July by Game Informer.
Good news for everyone - God bless competition. (Link, Thread)
● Project Spark is at Gamescom and will be revealing unannounced features as well as the Beta start date.(Link)

August 20, 12:45 CET

● Microsoft unveils Xbox One indie developer self-publishing program. Two free devkits per dev, full access, no fees. 180 turn is almost complete.(Link, Thread)
● Fable Legends for Xbox One announced, Lionhead developed, online-only, 4 player co-op. (Link, Thread)
● Cobalt - new Mojang game is coming to Xbox 360 and Xbox One. (Link, Thread)
● Peggle 2 is an Xbox One Launch title and PvZ Garden Warfare coming in 2014 - both are coming first to Xbox One. (Link, Thread)
● Call of Duty Ghosts will have dedicated servers on Xbox One thanks to the cloud. Blitz mode revealed.( Link, Thread)
● FIFA14 will be given away for free with Xbox One preorders in Europe. Additionally, Xbox FiFA Ultimate Team players will receive exclusive legendary players in gold packs.
This additional packs are called FIFA Ultimate Team Legends and is exclusive to Xbox. (Link, Thread)
● Fighter Within was revealed to be a Ubisoft's Kinect-controlled fighting game. (Link, Link, Thread, Thread)
● Microsoft announced full launch line-up for Xbox One with 20 first party and third party games. Still no release date. (Link, Thread)
● Killer Instinct pricing revealed. One character is free, additional cost 4.99€ each. Ultra edition pack - 39.99€. F2P done wrong.(Link, Thread)
● Forza Motorsport 5 is playable at gamescom this year. Legendary Spa-Francorchamps track is making its debut in Forza series.(Link, Thread)
● Ryse combat has enough depth and is all about flow, explains Crytek. Gladiator mode revealed.(Link, Thread)

*VISITING GAMESCOM*

August 22, 10:30 CET

● More of Ryse Son of Rome Footage coming in, gladiator fights look very, very pretty. (Link, Thread)
● Dead Rising 3 is still as crazy as Dead Rising has used to be. Just check this 10 min demo. (Link, Thread)

August 23, 10:56 CET

● Fighter Within trailer promises a possibility to literally kick ass of your most annoying Xbox friends. Now, invent Kinect with force feedback and I'm on board. (Link, Thread)

Kinan

SONY

sonybannerd0rhg.jpg

Updated at August 19, 9:30 CET

● Sony will announce the launch date for PS4 at its Gamescom conference on 20th August. (Link, Thread)
● Sonys press lineup includes Killzone MP and The Order. Hopefully we will get to see some gameplay from the latter - really looking forward to that title. (Thread)
● Housemarque will be showing up their "spiritual successor" to Super Stardust HD for the PS4. Last rumours are hinting on it to be the part of PS+ launch selection.(Link, Thread)
● War Thunder on PS4 by Gaijin Entertainment will have its world premiere at Gamescom.(Link, Thread)

August 20 22:45 CET

● Sony has announced the launch date for PS4 and its 15th November 2013 (NA) and 29th November 2013 (Europe). I had hope for end of October/start of November, so a bit disappointed, but hey, it is at least not in December. (Link,Thread)
● Gran Turismo 6 worldwide release date is 6th December. The rumour of Gran Turismo movie is confirmed to be true. Also, Brands Hatch! (Link, Thread)
● LittleBigPlanet Hub, a new free-to-play game in the sandbox series for PlayStation 3 was showcased at Sony press conference. (Link)
● Sony has announced that digital PS4 versions of select titles will be "significantly" discounted for owners of PS3 versions. The titles named were Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag and Battlefield 4. (Link)
● Sony has announced a price drop to €199 / $199 on the PlayStation Vita beginning tomorrow. Also the cost of memory cards said to be reduced significantly. (Link, Thread)
● Borderlands 2 will make its portable debut on PlayStation Vita later this year. (Link, Thread)
● Starbound, Fez, and Velocity 2X all coming to PS Vita. So much Vita love I want to cry. (Link, Thread)
● Murasaki Baby, new 2D puzzle platformer for the Playstation Vita from Ovosonico is announced. No, that's not a tear, just, something on my eye... (Link)
● War Thunder, the air combat MMO from Gaijin Entertainment, will be released on PlayStation 4 alongside the console's launch. (Link, Thread)
● Minecraft coming to PlayStation 4 as launch title. What Mojang will do with all that money? (Link, Thread)
● Playstation 3 12 Gb is getting discounted to $199 in US and to €199 in Europe. It is about time.(Link, Thread)
● Housemarque new title will be out for PS3 launch, called Resogun, and is looking as rad as we had hoped. Also confirmed that the title will be free to PS+ subscribers. (Link, Link, Thread)
● Reimagining of Shadow of a Beast - old Amiga classic - is coming exclusively to PS4. Whoever "re-imagined" that, has a quite developed imagination. (Link, Link, Thread)
● Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, will be making its console debut on PS4 and Vita. As well as: N++ from Metanet Software's, Ed McMillen's The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth; Cellar Door Games' Rogue Legacy; and Vlambeer's roguelike Wasteland Kings. And Thomas Was Alone creator Mike Bithell's next game? Yea, it will be coming to PS4 and Vita as well. I'm out of tears already. What, still not enough for you? Check the full list of Indies for PS4 and PSV at Playstation Blog. (Link, Link, Thread)
● PlayStation 4 will support Twitch and will provide access to over 20 video services not requiring subscription service. (Link, Thread)
● Sony has struck deals for PS4 friendly internet access with few European ISPs for PS4-specific connections of up to 200mbps. The companies named were Orange, T-Mobile, Virgin Media. (Link)
● Sony has announced two new DualShock 4 color variants, Magma Red and Wave Blue in time for European launch of PS4. (Link, Thread)
● Everyone's Gone to the Rapture intriguing new post-apocalyptic games from The Chinese Room is announced for PS4. (Link, Link Thread)
● Helldivers - cooperative squad-based shooter for PS3, PS4 and PSV with cross-play from Magicka devs. (Link, Link Thread)
● Rime - beautiful cell-shaded adventure clearly "inspired" by Ico is in development for PS4 by Tequila Works. FullHD cellshading with a lot of AA excites me. A lot. (Link, Thread)

August 21 09:40 CET

● PS4 User Interface was demonstrated by Yoshida on stage in a very confident manner. Supercharged XMB design, responsive, 6s between spectating a streamed MP Killzone game and joining the said game. Easily the best part of the Sony's conference. (Link, Thread)
*VISITING GAMESCOM*

August 22 10:40 CET

● Infamous:Second Son is going to be released in February. Plus, Fetch is voiced by Laura Bailey. (Link, Thread)
● Tearaway Trailer is released, best Vita game of the show, imo. (Link, Thread)
● Killzone:Mercenary Gamescom Trailer and a thread full of gifs. (Link, Thread)
● Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus Gamescom Developer Walkthrough. Another series my son loves, too early to sell our PS3, it seems. (Link, Thread)
● Knack Gamescom Trailer. And this is what my son will get to play on our new shiny PS4 this November. (Link, Thread)
● Driveclub team has finally released a direct feed trailer of the game. In 720p. On Facebook. Ok. (Link, Thread)

August 23 14:15 CET

● Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD new trailer is released for Gamescom demonstrating not only graphical improvement over the originals, but also rearranged audio tracks from battles and Overdrive attack. (Link, Thread)

August 24, 22:15 CET

● Killzone Mercenary single player campaign gameplay video got released. Probably fake, since no way handheld can
achieve this level of graphical fidelity. Or does it? (Link, Thread)

August 26, 13:10 CET

● Octodad looks as ridiculous fun as before. Such out of left field, wacky stuff, is what always distinguished Sony among others, I'm glad this is not changing in the next-gen. (Link, Thread)
● Helldivers [PS4/PSV] game is getting more media attention finally, with both IGN and Game Informer praising the challenge it provides. (Link, Link Thread)

NINTENDO

nintendoivpoy.jpg

Updated at August 18, 16:00 CET

● Nintendo going to Gamescom with a solid focused lineup of titles including Pokemons, Zeldas and Pikmins. (Link, Thread)

August 21, 11:40 CET

● Sonic Lost Worlds Gamescom trailer is out. (Link, Thread)
*VISITING GAMESCOM*

August 22, 10:31 CET

● Sonic Lost Worlds 60 fps footage from our friends at Gamersyde. (Link, Thread)
● Pokemon X and Y visual makeover is excellent, saying people who have tried Gamescom demo. Polygon agrees. (Link, Link, Thread)

August 23, 10:51 CET

● Bayonetta 2 Gamescom gameplay looks as awesome as it was looking at E3. In fact, it looks exactly as awesome as E3 demo. Probably because it is E3 demo. (Link, Thread)

SUMMARY

So this crazy Gamescom week is over and we sure got a fair share of gaming news out of it. There were a lot of expected and unexpected reveals and announcements, normal gamers got to try the next-gen and soon-to-be-old-gen hardware and software first hand, awards were given, MS and Sony launch strategies detailed. Only Nintendo kept thing relatively low-profile and just left the quality of games on the show floor to speak for itself.

Gamescom was fully sold-out this year and attracted 340 000 visitors, which solidifies its position as a biggest consumer oriented show in the world. With 635 exhibitors (for comparison, E3 had 230 this year) there were all major developers represented and a lot of smaller teams took part too.

All in all, good times and I hope you have enjoyed this thread and found it useful. If the interest is there, I may consider doing one next year as well.

SPECIAL THANKS

Thanks you to the following members for their contributions!

JaseC, Samir Sedlar, kuppy, Nugg, peetfeet, Dan, belucheez, Quentyn, tait269

dc89

Haha the WiiU on the PS4 controller. Looks like it's some sort of Window, as if the WiiU is looking through the window.

Maybe i read this wrong somehow, but all your dates say August 18 at 16 CET, for Sony, Nintendo, MS etc.

Thought the conferences would start Aug. 20? is it all at the same time then? *confused now* or is that just supposed to be the date and time you created the thread then?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Maybe i read this wrong somehow, but all your dates say August 18 at 16 CET, for Sony, Nintendo, MS etc.

Thought the conferences would start Aug. 20? is it all at the same time then? *confused now* or is that just supposed to be the date and time you created the thread then?

The top of the thread has it right. The other dates lower are wrong.

Falch

Excellent thread, hadn't been keeping up, nice to see so many interesting things happening.

Hoping for an october PS4 release, have some free days end of october/early november.

Kinan

Um, the press events starts on 20th. 18th 16:00 CET is current time stamp for the news, i.e. time of the last update.

Added "Updated at" text to avoid further confusion.

I want to see Housemarque 'Stardust' for Ps4. Only title of my interest of launch lineup, provided it makes it in time, and excluding other surprises.

Jibbed

Nice thread Kinan!

I've heard Killzone and The Order mentioned but not much else for PS4.. what's being shown?

well you can add this as well if you want.

Konami: a very small lineup for Gamescom was revealed, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Ultimate Edition & PES 2014 will be playable.

Source VG247

Also
The release also confirmed that there would be new announcements for both PES and Castlevania at the show.

So probably release dates as well.

Not really sure what Gamescom is. Microsofts event seems early, at least for us North Americans. Glad it isn't livestreamed then, not getting up at 5am.

Should be good to see some new Battlefield 4 footage and The Order footage, instead of that cutscene crap.

Simo

Avalanche Studios is going to be there to show off more of Mad Max so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some of that.

Can't wait for the BF4 new map and game mode footage.

Not really sure what Gamescom is. Microsofts event seems early, at least for us North Americans. Glad it isn't livestreamed then, not getting up at 5am.

Should be good to see some new Battlefield 4 footage and The Order footage, instead of that cutscene crap.

Gamescom is simply the largest consumer games event in the world.

kuppy

You can find the all the exhibitors here, Wikipedia has a pretty good overview about all the presented games by them. And in case you are going there, here is detailed look at the hall plans.

I just want to see new IP's at events like these. I'm not getting up early for sequels I already assume are on the way. I'm doing it for that next gen "newness".lol

KoopaTheCasual

Why are you glad it isn't livestreamed because you're too lazy to wake up? Sorry to sound like I'm attacking you, but it just makes no difference if it were livestreamed to you, because you wouldn't watch it regardless.

First of all. I´m psyched.

But is there gonna be a spoiler free thread like the one for E3? With links to the Conferences after they air? I´m working late, so i can´t watch them live.

jcm

Bigger than E3??
1. E3 2013 saw 48,200 attendees from 102 countries, a 5.47% increase over 2012.

2. Gamescom organizers have announced that the 2012 trade fair attracted over 275,000 visitors.

Over 600 exhibitors were present at gamescom, which was situated on 140,000 square meters of floor space (up 15 percent from 2011). In addition to the 275,000 visitors, 24,500 trade visitors (up 14% from 2011's event) and 5,300 journalists were in attendance. General attendees came from 83 countries, with 2011's figure being 71 countries.[/quote]

Too lazy to wake up? It's 5am my time time. WTF. You need to chill.

Presumably his statement was directed at the fact that you're happy others won't be able to see it, not that you need to wake up early.

Announcement of the first D3 expansion is VERY likely. The teaser site is online.

E3 is not open to public, so yeah, Gamescom is much bigger.

1. E3 2013 saw 48,200 attendees from 102 countries, a 5.47% increase over 2012.

2. Gamescom organizers have announced that the 2012 trade fair attracted over 275,000 visitors.

Over 600 exhibitors were present at gamescom, which was situated on 140,000 square meters of floor space (up 15 percent from 2011). In addition to the 275,000 visitors, 24,500 trade visitors (up 14% from 2011's event) and 5,300 journalists were in attendance. General attendees came from 83 countries, with 2011's figure being 71 countries.

Holy crap, I had no idea this event was so big.

Presumably his statement was directed at the fact that you're happy others won't be able to see it, not that you need to wake up early.

Alos, I never said I was happy others wouldnt see it. I said I was happy it wasnt live streamed in my particular case because i'd miss it live.

belushy

Banned
Don't know if you want to add it to the OP, but Project Spark is at Gamescom and will be revealing unannounced features as well as the Beta start date. They announced it in their first livestream about a week and a half ago.

edit: It might be part of the Microsoft conference though.

edit 2: Twitter confirmation since I sure you don't wanna find it in the livestream: https://twitter.com/proj_spark/status/368640525928116224

Top Bottom