• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Reserves All of Its Initial Nintendo Switch Allocation

Redmoon

If you wanted a switch why didn't you pre order one days ago? Most places don't charge you up front. At least none of the decent ones.

When I checked various places back then, it was unavailable to preorder(due to selling out online). I didn't bother checking gamestop at the time since I'd figure they'd have sold out instantly too.

Just decided to check them today and they had it available, just didn't jump on it asap.

Zedark

Haha, my exact thought. Next thought: Big demand or small shipment?

Well, we know Switch has a pretty small initial shipment (Kimishima said only 2 million worldwide), so I guess we can really tell. Here's hoping they ship some more systems to the US, so we can have another round of selling (and a larger first day uptake) and tell whether the system selling out is due to small shipments or due to (relatively) big demand.

Kusagari

This situation with preorders selling out everywhere mirrors Wii U exactly.

Hard for me to take it seriously as actual good news in the long term until March hits and we see continued sellouts.

Somnid

It's true the initial allotment was likely to sell out quickly and that the real test is how does it stay over the next few months but at least right now it's a sign things are going as well as they can.

Rizific

i wanted to take advantage of the gs deal and trade in my xb1 for credit towards a switch. i called this morning and sure enough...i shouldnt have waited.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fair point to bring up Wii U, though I would add that IMO the degree of difficulty is a little higher coming in March rather than November.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Thats cool but I want to see how well it maintains its momentum through the summer and going into the holiday season.

This situation with preorders selling out everywhere mirrors Wii U exactly.

Hard for me to take it seriously as actual good news in the long term until March hits and we see continued sellouts.

Doesn't it mirror pretty much every console launch? Why are you specifically calling out the wii u?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This was going to happen regardless. See Wii U's original sell out numbers.

In addition to that Nintendo are going to replicate their amiibo bullshit again and intentionally ship lower numbers. I just know that

Nydius

Both ends of the spectrum are trying to spin this news and to all of you on those ends, you're all looking foolish. There's nothing inherently newsworthy here about a new electronic device with limited quantities being "sold out". It just says there's demand and limited supply.

Come back in a month or two after launch and see how it's doing then. Then start with the DOA or BEST EVER hyperbole. The initial run was almost always going to sell out to hardcore fans. What matters is if they can keep up momentum. Personally, I just don't see it happening as the cons of the system far outweigh the pros early on.

Honestly if the Switch can do better than Wii U sales then they already on the right track.

I don't know if I'd really agree. The Wii U sold what, 12 million worldwide over its lifespan? What if the Switch sells only marginally better, say 15-18 million worldwide over a similar lifespan. Would that really be "on the right track"? E: I think to be on the right track, they have to at least get Gamecube or better levels.

Nintendo is the Dark Souls of Videogame Companies.

if that were the case people wouldn't stop posting "I can't play other video games, Nintendo has spoiled me" and it'd be GAF's darling.

I don't think Nintendo realistically expects another Wii, but as long as it can sell better than Wii U and possibly around Gamecube that's good enough.

if that were the case people wouldn't stop posting "I can't play other video games, Nintendo has spoiled me" and it'd be GAF's darling.

I don't think Nintendo realistically expects another Wii, but as long as it can sell better than Wii U and possibly around Gamecube that's good enough.

That'd be a disaster considering this is supposed to replace their handheld line.

phanphare

Banned

I mean, Nintendo has spoiled me with their games. the game design, game feel, and performance are top notch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This was going to happen regardless. See Wii U's original sell out numbers.

In addition to that Nintendo are going to replicate their amiibo bullshit again and intentionally ship lower numbers. I just know that
Tbf though this didn't happen with the Wii u, only the black version sold out, never even close to happen with the white version. I don't this matters too much either way as lost launch sales are always the biggest indicators.

Zedark

That doesn't sound right. By the end of 2012 1.32m Wii Us had shipped in NA, 3.06m worldwide. That GameStop had half a mil day one seems slightly unlikely.

I think this 500k number might refer to worldwide gamestop numbers, as WiiU shipped 400k in its first week in USA, so 500k is literally impossible.

That'd be a disaster considering this is supposed to replace their handheld line.

Haven't they said time and time again that the N3DS and the Switch can coexist? I don't expect this to be their handheld replacement unless they stop all support for the 3DS and push all pokemon games to the Switch. If so, then yeah let it be the replacement.

I mean, Nintendo has spoiled me with their games. the game design, game feel, and performance are top notch.
Good. Now you say "Nintendo was robbed" in every GOTY thread.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's almost guaranteed that Nintendo will sell through the initial shipment of 2 mio. worldwide for March. Especially since it's almost a full month. March having great sales was never in question, as enthusiast crowd and scalpers make the sales of consoles quite frontloaded.

The real question are the sales in April and May 2017. That will set the tone.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Haven't they said time and time again that the N3DS and the Switch can coexist? I don't expect this to be their handheld replacement unless they stop all support for the 3DS and push all pokemon games to the Switch. If so, then yeah let it be the replacement.

Good. Now you say "Nintendo was robbed" in every GOTY thread.
They say that to cover their asses for all intents and purposes this is the replacement just like the ds was the 3rd pillar replacement for the gameboy advance. However this time it seems like there's a much higher chance og failure and may be forced to genuinely treat switch like a 3rd pillar after it bombs.

ViciousDS

Banned
Doesn't it mirror pretty much every console launch? Why are you specifically calling out the wii u?

PS4 was pretty easy to find and even some Gamestop's had a few extras available to purchase at midnight. However they also had a hell of a lot more PS4s to allocate compared to the Switch or WiiU.

I remember it being a little hard up to infamous launch though to physically walk into a store and get one though.

Although selling out of pre-orders doesn't guanrantee anything, I'm glad too see it's a solid start.

The real question is what happens after launch. And if (and I know there's no guarantee this happens) 2017 really does include a new 3D Mario, Splatoon 2, Pokémon Stars, Smash Remastered, and a new Xenoblade, this system could end up doing just stupid numbers.

I guess we'll see...

ggx2ac

Nintendo only plans to sell 2 million in the entire month of March for the entire world so it makes sense that gamestop and others are gonna get all their allotment reserved.

Technically not, that's just a forecast. There could always be the chance they sell below or above their forecast of 2 million.

Considering that preorders have filled out fast means Nintendo may consider producing more units to meet demand if retailers order more.

anothertech

I want the Switch to succeed and I loved the Wii U but this picture fills me with joy every time I see it.
Opposite for me. A little ball wells up in my throat, and I see the poor little WiiU looking in the window from the rain. The things that could have been...

Zedark

No, Nintendo Switch

hqdefault.jpg

Although selling out of pre-orders doesn't guanrantee anything, I'm glad too see it's a solid start.

The real question is what happens after launch. And if (and I know there's no guarantee this happens) 2017 really does include a new 3D Mario, Splatoon 2, Pokémon Stars, Smash Remastered, and a new Xenoblade, this system could end up doing just stupid numbers.

I guess we'll see...
That is a possibility, and I hope it happens, but I wonder how the period from april to summer (or: to Splatoon) will play out. That is where they have a risk of losing touch with the consumer base I think.

selling out isn't a problem for plenty of reasons. Fans, scalpers, early adopters. Whether or not they can keep the momentum up is the real question. That said good on Nintendo. As many units as they can sell = more developers can possibly come onboard and hopefully despite all the negativity; mine included - that Switch finds some measure of success.

Every console nowadays sells out at launch. I believe even the WiiU did so as well. The concern is for what happens after launch after the diehards have already bought one. I still think Nintendo will have a very hard time convincing regular gamers and casuals to spend $300 on this with no packed in games. The value proposition is just not there.

_Ryo_

If they're all bought up by scalpers I don't think it's gonna help anyone. I mean I figure lots of people think the device is already overpriced so they would be even more hesitant to buy it from a scalper.

Scrawnton

It's almost guaranteed that Nintendo will sell through the initial shipment of 2 mio. worldwide for March. Especially since it's almost a full month. March having great sales was never in question, as enthusiast crowd and scalpers make the sales of consoles quite frontloaded.

The real question are the sales in April and May 2017. That will set the tone.
I think, much like the 3DS, sales will be slow and it won't hit its stride until its first holiday. Switch is in a better position out of the gate though because it's launching with a killer app, regardless of it also being on Wii U.

Of course this means nothing wii-u had a good launch, Switch will mas well, it is after that. Switch has the same issues wii-u had. Price, thin library, lack of third parties.....

saskuatch

I suspect since its not during a holiday season the store shelves will be stocked well enough that you could go a week after launch and pick one up.

Top Bottom