• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

I like the first half of the album lyrically but the 2nd half it gets bad/annoying.

It's grown on me quite a bit but I still wish there were only choruses or select lines here and there. Then again I like 808s for it's spaciness so that's probably why I want it like that.

And it'd fit with a less commercial thing too.

chris121580

I think it's interesting hearing everyone complain about Kanye's lyrics on this album. Since when has anyone taken his lyrics seriously?

I think it's interesting hearing everyone complain about Kanye's lyrics on this album. Since when has anyone taken his lyrics seriously?

I think the lyrics are typical Kanye, but his attitude is different. Instead of trying to be clever, he's just saying fuck off. Which very well may mean he put less time into writing lyrics. But it works for the album.

I hate this so so much. Why this album pissing me off. Now all the "kanye can't rap" idiots actually have a point. Kanye's lyrics have never been the best but he has more than held his own on all of his albums. This one it seems he was so focused on the production that he didn't give a fuck about the lyrics.

after all this time, i can say that i really dont like bound 2. i mean i dont hate it but i always skip it whenever it comes on. it doesnt fit with the rest of the album and i guess im just over that sound. i like electro/trap/experimental kanye and i hope he keeps surprising us in the future

Well this is nowhere even close to MBTDF levels of awesome, good music but it seems like he is going lyrically bankrupt..

his narcissism used to be likable but he is making himself look like a douchebag in this one

Disappointment to say the least, well at least their is eminem's new album to look forward

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Are you impressed with the croissants line? No? Then why does this line have to impress?
The croissants line paints a funny picture, and it's so bad it's awesome. The Romans line is just dumb and nonsensical.
It made a little more sense before the Inglorious Basterds line got cut. Originally, the song had three lines based around a similar theme:

-Twisting King Kong into a play on the "black people = apes" stereotype to describe how he feels about his media villain persona.

-Fudging the details of 300, a movie that was controversial itself for fudging details to stylize (and allegedly smear) Persians.

-Referencing Inglorious Basterds, a movie that intentionally fudges details to explore the pop culture attitude towards WW2.

It's a little sillier now that the IB line is gone, but there's at least a pattern here.
But King Kong as a racist allegory is a popular point of criticism, while associating Romans with 300 is, uh, wha? Especially because he also mentions the Trojans.
You need some pretty wonky logic to find any kind of coherent statement in those three lines. I find it easier to believe that Kanye couldn't think of anything else that rhymed with Trojans and simply didn't give a shit.
Kanye's lyrics are not normally so bad as to seriously detract from enjoyment of the record. Graduation similarly put all the emphasis on the production and had some weak lyrics, but it wasn't nearly as bad as this.

dafinezt

Banned
Love that sample of that choir midway through On Sight singing "he'll give us what we need - it may not be what we want." Sums the album up nicely.

Valhelm

contribute something
I've never been a hip hop fan, and I've never listened to much except for super-mainstream radio hits. If I'm looking to broaden my interests, should I check out this album?

Trey

I've never been a hip hop fan, and I've never listened to much except for super-mainstream radio hits. If I'm looking to broaden my interests, should I check out this album?

If you have an infinity for electronic, noise type production, Yeezus isn't a bad introduction to the genre.

kamspy

Lyrics are great. Some of the best wit I've ever heard from him. I'll take wit over lyrical miracle spiritual shit any day though.

French ass restaurant
Depak Chopra
Corrolla damaging
Treat your friends like my Benz

So many great lines.

I still listen daily and notice if I don't. Yeezus withdraws are a thing.

hoos30

Nobody expects a light hitting shortstop to start cranking out 40 homeruns per season, but that bastard better be able to play some defense and lay down a bunt.

Kad5

You know this is a good album but after listening to it for a good bit....as good as it is I feel like it was just a tiny bit overhyped. Not anything against the album itself. I personally enjoy it.

However, i'm enjoying Run The Jewels even more.

Nert

Kanye has never been a lyrical mastermind, but I recently listened to Late Registration again, and his verses there are stronger than just about anything on Yeezus. He also used to bring in much stronger collaborators; Late Registration alone has amazing verses from Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Consequence, and even Paul Wall (which I wasn't expecting). He mostly goes it alone in Yeezus, and it shows : /

Having said that, I'm at least really enjoying the production on this album. I'm definitely going to give it a few more listens.

Ashhong

Kanye has never been a lyrical mastermind, but I recently listened to Late Registration again, and his verses there are stronger than just about anything on Yeezus. He also used to bring in much stronger collaborators; Late Registration alone has amazing verses from Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Consequence, and even Paul Wall (which I wasn't expecting). He mostly goes it alone in Yeezus, and it shows : /

Having said that, I'm at least really enjoying the production on this album. I'm definitely going to give it a few more listens.

Man fuck the features. Listen to Ye's rapping. So smooth. I need to go back to the School albums

I just listened to the album, thought the tracks were dope but the rhymes were corny and empty (outside of Black Skinhead), and came in only to find that this opinion has been thoroughly expressed.

What I don't get is, Kanye obviously has worked really hard on the production and musically he has some strong emotions that he wants to express and indeed does via the instrumentals. But why does he then throw in some half-baked vocals, weak rhymes, and superficial concepts? He seems to love the labor of his work, but it doesn't show in his lyrics.

Work with someone who has something to say and make instrumentals for him/her. Or just put out a vocal-free album. Don't water down your passion.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
MBDTF was lyrically a big step up from Graduation, which is what makes the big crash here even more disappointing.

genjiZERO

Digable Planets just rereleased their second album Blowout Comb. It's my all-time favorite hiphop album. I think you're better served checking it out instead.

Ashhong

The main synths and shit in hold my liquor is straight genius. It's like a ducking movie soundtrack. Amazing production on this album. I might have to put it over graduation even though that has flashing lights.

I'm still getting chills when the beat kicks in in blood on the leaves. Shit. Too good

Top Bottom