• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Samus Returns Special Edition Announced

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
A decade later.
Hence why I said "on SNES"

What?
And, no they're not.

Still got it later on.

And yes, NoE is. Don't make me list out all the Nintendo LEs that EU got over NA... Club Nintendo was much better too with their EU prizes. Not sure why you're still fighting this.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Never mind, not worth repeating myself.

Yeah, but that was well over 20 years ago, the SNES era. There's some games you got that we didn't either, good or bad. It's been VERY uneven, and the limited edition thing IS valid, because of the topic at hand, and the fact that I first started saying that NoE > NoA because of all of the editions. I'm talking more present day.

If you present any recent examples of how NoA > NoE, then I would like to see them.

EDIT: This is because I don't understand the thought of people in EU happy that they are getting extra bonus NoE stuff, because of what happened 20 years ago in the past etc., when now NoA is getting screwed in different ways.

ReyVGM

I don't see how that could explain how NA could get an LE for Fire Emblem Echoes and not Metrois with similar materials. (I know both varied a bit, but a little more equal).

It's completely and entirely possible that when they paid for the manufacturing of the Echoes LE package the prices were completely different than what they are going to pay for the Metroid one. A single dollar can make a huge difference when you're manufacturing hundreds of thousands of something.

xevis

Banned
Still got it later on.

And yes, NoE is. Don't make me list out all the Nintendo LEs that EU got over NA... Club Nintendo was much better too with their EU prizes. Not sure why you're still fighting this.

Wait wait wait... Club Nintendo? That shit was abysmal outside the US (and especially here in Australia). The US had all kinds of cool rewards including digital. I'm not even sure we got the Hanafuda cards. And again, when we did get stuff it was horrendously expensive by comparison. Even the rubbish rewards cost a thousand stars (== ~4-5 games) -- nevermind the rarely available and actually desirable items which were 3000+ stars.

I know you said LEs are important to you but please don't cry over a few extra tchotchkes that EU occasionally gets. You guys are the #1 target market for localised western games. NoE (and the rest of the world) is an afterthought. Besides, as I've said before, the LEs are usually so expensive you won't want them.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Wait wait wait... Club Nintendo? That shit was abysmal outside the US (and especially here in Australia). The US had all kinds of cool rewards including digital. I'm not even sure we got the Hanafuda cards. And again, when we did get stuff it was horrendously expensive by comparison. Even the rubbish rewards cost a thousand stars (== ~4-5 games) -- nevermind the rarely available and actually desirable items which were 3000+ stars.

If you were to ask NoA people the same question (and for those that might not have cared for digital goods), you'd get a very different answer. (Mario Kart trophies, soundtracks, etc...)

This is what I mean by wishing that both places had the same stuff: EU also wanted digital goods, and NA wanted physical goods, even if they costed a lot.

Kneefoil

Yeah, but that was well over 20 years ago, the SNES era. There's some games you got that we didn't either, good or bad. It's been VERY uneven, and the limited edition thing IS valid, because of the topic at hand, and the fact that I first started saying that NoE > NoA because of all of the editions. I'm talking more present day.

If you present any recent examples of how NoA > NoE, then I would like to see them.

EDIT: This is because I don't understand the thought of people in EU happy that they are getting extra bonus NoE stuff, because of what happened 20 years ago in the past etc., when now NoA is getting screwed in different ways.

A couple of recent examples I can think of: Star Fox Guard not coming with Star Fox Zero and Breath of the Wild getting a Limited Edition that was, well, limited in its contents when compared to the Master or even the Special Edition that North America got.

NoA and NoE both one up each other sometimes.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
A couple of recent examples I can think of: Star Fox Guard not coming with Star Fox Zero and Breath of the Wild getting a Limited Edition that was, well, limited in its contents when compared to the Master or even the Special Edition that North America got.

NoA and NoE both one up each other sometimes.

Ok, that's a fair couple of examples. But you're right, they really do try and one up each other, and it stinks when one end wants what the other has :/

xevis

Banned
If you were to ask NoA people the same question (and for those that might not have cared for digital goods), you'd get a very different answer. (Mario Kart trophies, soundtracks, etc...)

I remember these well. The Mario Kart trophies were 5000 stars each. Meanwhile every game card was worth 100-200 stars. Nobody could afford them.

This is what I mean by wishing that both places had the same stuff: EU also wanted digital goods, and NA wanted physical goods, even if they costed a lot.

If you're so keen, just import. But I don't think you want to do that. The price differences are extreme. You know that Shadows of Valentia LE that's at $54USD on Amazon right now? In Australia the same thing costs more like $76USD. The European version with both Amiibos is $100USD.

Our version of Bravely Second got an Agnes figurine in addition to all the stuff the US version got. Cool right? It cost $140USD.

Trust me, you do not want what NoE is peddling.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
If you're so keen, just import. But I don't think you want to do that. The price differences are extreme. You know that Shadows of Valentia LE that's at $54USD on Amazon right now? In Australia the same thing costs more like $76USD. The European version with both Amiibos is $100USD.

Our version of Bravely Second got an Agnes figurine in addition to all the stuff the US version got. Cool right? It cost $140USD.

That's more a currency issue between the two regions, though. (Japanese prices are just as bad. If anything NA, US specifically, has a HUGE upperhand in pricing). Some companies do try and make the prices more comparable I've seen, but Nintendo taxes everywhere.

I would've loved LEs from Fatal Frame, Bayonetta, Pandora's Tower, Hyrule Warriors being more readily available (NA only got less than 500 exclusive to Nintendo World), just to name a few.

But why skimp on region exclusive items now? Many people in NA would've loved a small art book and trinkets and digital game copy, to go along with the Metroid CD that we are already paying more for.

xevis

Banned
That's more a currency issue between the two regions, though. (Japanese prices are just as bad. If anything NA, US specifically, has a HUGE upperhand in pricing). Some companies do try and make the prices more comparable I've seen, but Nintendo taxes everywhere.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If these items came to NA they'd be cheaper? Well, maybe. I have noticed when NoE has "better" LE than NoA they seems to produce them in low volumes and at high prices. If the American market won't bear similar prices then NoA needs to produce large volumes to make a similar buck. Besides the more complicated logistics there's also the risk of being stuck with unsold stock -- like the Shadows of Valentia LE which seems to be readily available everywhere weeks after release. Anyway, all of this is pure speculation; I have no idea what the actual thinking is.

I would've loved LEs from Fatal Frame, Bayonetta, Pandora's Tower, Hyrule Warriors being more readily available (NA only got less than 500 exclusive to Nintendo World), just to name a few.

If you're only interest in the collectables, just import. It's a harder sell in the other direction -- PAL gamers interested to play stuff not released here need to not just import the game but also buy a second system to play them on.

There's some games you got that we didn't either

I don't know where you think I live...
But, like the direction of your frustration, it's likely extremely off-based.

If you're only interest in the collectables, just import. It's a harder sell in the other direction -- PAL gamers interested to play stuff not released here need to not just import the game but also buy a second system to play them on.

Seriously. The other poster seems so focused on "the things I wanted didn't come to my local store," ignoring how easy it is to get "extras," and hand-waving away the difficulty of importing across NTSC/PAL boundaries.

Bogeypop

Considering the Amiibos sold out on Best Buy and the Special Edition has sold out on GameStop. I think I'm just gonna go do an in-store preorder for both at GameStop today instead of waiting for Amazon preorders to go up.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Considering the Amiibos sold out on Best Buy and the Special Edition has sold out on GameStop. I think I'm just gonna go do an in-store preorder for both at GameStop today instead of waiting for Amazon preorders to go up.

Dang, amiibo sold out already? Poop, I was waiting for the end of the Treehouse show today to go through and pre-order the amiibo and games I wanted. Oh well, maybe I'll see 'em in stores.

Link_enfant

I'm so glad we get that CE in Europe.
Still sad for other countries though, CEs should be the same almost everywhere :/

Now I can refresh every 5 minutes in case it's up on Amazon France and other sites.
Won't miss that one!

LQX

Bought.

Also, for those of you waiting on Amazon, be aware this might not qualify for free shipping as they changed their policy on special edition games.

Bought.

Also, for those of you waiting on Amazon, be aware this might not qualify for free shipping as they changed their policy on special edition games.

I thought they removed the Prime discount and not free shipping. That seems like an odd choice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I thought they removed the Prime discount and not free shipping. That seems like an odd choice.
Yeah, if a game is considered a LE (or it's an amiibo), then it will no longer qualify for the 20% off discount, even if the only physical version for a game available is basically a LE.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Europe pls

We getting the much superior version
latest

mindatlarge

Been waiting for the Samus Returns Special Edition to pop up for days on BB so I can use GCU. If it wasn't for this thread, I probably would have missed out. So thanks for the updates! Pre-ordered it just now along with some more god damn fucking E3 Amiibo.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Also, you never actually said where you thought I was from with that

Comment.

Does it matter? I made a comment on how I thought NoE was better and you brought up titles, which is to assume naturally, that you are from EU. You keep making it a point that you aren'tn so I'm not sure how that's contributing to the discussion. If you are or aren't, all you do is want to debate about the past, when I was commenting on the present few years.

Does it matter? I made a comment on how I thought NoE was better and you brought up titles, which is to assume naturally, that you are from EU.

I argued the point because what I was arguing for was right, not because I wanted to complain that I didn't get the same baubles as someone else. To assume that just because I was arguing for NOA over NOE meant I was from an area that NOE distributes to is silly. The reason it "matters" is because of your assumptions in the discussion - as further exemplified in that post.

all you do is want to debate about the past, when I was commenting on the present few years.

Then you probably should clarify when making the statement.
"NOA > NOE" to me means over the history of those divisions.
If you want to state that "NOE > NOA over the past few years," it would be on you to make the limiting distinction.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I argued the point because what I was arguing for was right, not because I wanted to complain that I didn't get the same baubles as someone else. To assume that just because I was arguing for NOA over NOE meant I was from an area that NOE distributes to is silly. The reason it "matters" is because of your assumptions in the discussion - as further exemplified in that post.

Then you probably should clarify when making the statement.
"NOA > NOE" to me means over the history of those divisions.
If you want to state that "NOE > NOA over the past few years," it would be on you to make the limiting distinction.

Ok, let me clear this up as my final word on this, since this went all over the place:

I don't like it when either region gets something less/more than the other, and wish we were at a point to where both regions got the same things. Using Metroid as an example, it stinks when you find out one region gets a CD and the other doesn't, but it also stinks, when that region finds out that they are getting a CD... AND a lot more. Most people that argue about "baubles", usually don't care for them personally. I'm personally a hardcore LE collector, and many others are too. I'm sure I'm not the only one not happy about this. Right now, NoE is giving the region a much better treatment with things like deluxe games.

"Just import it" can be annoying due to currency rates, shipping rates, and having to buy/mod a console to use the game. Or, buy a second copy, but have a useless PAL copy sitting there. EU has had so many nice deluxe versions of games, so yeah that stinks. Fatal Frame wasn't fun too (and also if people from NA try and import something limited like that, less people in EU can even get it). Amiibos had awful distribution all around in NA, yet they seemed plentiful in various locations in EU. Operation Rainfall... NA had to fight tooth and nail to get those 3 games (and all got deluxe versions on top of it, too). 1 was store exclusive, and 2 Nintendo didn't even want to do and another company had to come in. So yeah, whatever was up with those. Definitely wasn't 20 years ago either in the SNES era. So yeah, we haven't had an easy time here, either.

Hard to argue with things that happened 2 decades ago as valid, because you really can't look at things that happened that long ago, when the debate is on more current issues, such as this topic at hand. Hard to say "well.... it used to!!" Ok, but times have changed. That's why I hate that every time EU gets something super shiny, I have heard so many times people say "we are owed this because we didn't get things in the past!!" I just don't like the "got mine" attitude in general, no matter what side of the world it's on. Enjoy and appreciate what you have, but don't use it as a fighting point... Just realize that others do want shiny thing or whatever too, and it's not fair when one branch of Nintendo will do it, and the other won't.

This is all I was trying to convey when I kept saying "I hate how this isn't fair" over and over.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Glad you understand why companies are forced to do it in the first place.

This point I do not understand, as I can not see why it's more feasible for Europe to create these things when NA is capable of doing it as well (including much smaller companies).

Top Bottom