• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft posts election forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry the Donald rattle your cage. But seeing OT melt down over Trump winning and fleeing United States is one of the reasons I want to vote for him.

I will say this, I would vote Bloomberg over Trump.

It's cool I generally perform my civic duties based on video game forum reactions too

Future

Look like I will be ironically voting for Donald Trump in general and see the world burn.

As a brown person with a Muslim name, fuck you. This kind of stupid makes me nervous that he could actually win.

He has an extremely good chance of winning. People have fucked up logic about everything. And the system isn't really good at handling things like the "ironic vote"

ESPECIALLY since liberals are generally less likely to vote anyway

Not surprised with Bernie running away with NH. Pretty like minded people from both Vermont and NH. If there were 2 states that were lock solid to Bernie, it was those two.

kaskade

So many people that are in the Trump camp would probably not be opposed to Bernie if they actually knew what he was for. All they hear is higher taxes so they think he's personally coming to their house to steal their cash. If Clinton gets in office I don't see much changing which as this point might not be so bad. She would definitely be a better president than Trump but I just don't trust her.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Well you know who the robot overlords support now.

This whole election is depressing me :(

The Kree

Banned
I am sorry the Donald rattle your cage. But seeing OT melt down over Trump winning and fleeing United States is one of the reasons I want to vote for him.

If you don't ever want anything you say to be taken seriously, all you had to do was say so.

So it's basically the default choice? I'm not American, so my impressions of the election are probably too skewed by the Internet in general. And Sanders seems like a huge deal on the Internet.

Pretty much, Women, minorities, the Clinton name.

Many of her social policies are pretty left leaning, but she appeals to some on the right due to her 'hawkish' nature in foreign policy.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Trump's actual proposed budget/tax plan was an even bigger handout to the wealthy and corporations than Jeb's and Rubio. You have to look at what he's actually proposing and not just the populist garbage he spews from his mouth.

Trump isn't a wrench, he's the id of the Republican Party. The GOP isn't against his policies or his way of doing things, they are against his optics and persona.

I don't disagree with you guys.

He is campaigning as a populist, that doesn't mean his policies will be. (see Obama campaigning on transformative change. [Let's not derail the thread though].)

Trump is saying stuff like "The system is broken" "Politicians are corrupt".
Hillary is saying stuff like "More Obama"

I agree with you guys that Hillary is likely much better than Trump for the country, but if you don't see why that appeals to some folks then you are the one's out of touch here.

Instead of dismissing people's opinion as irrational and wrong (which they very well may be!), think about why they came to these conclusions. When the system is not working for you, sometimes you wouldn't mind burning the whole thing to the ground. It is just human nature. It is what happens when the government only serves a fraction of the population. As many have said, it is the ID of the tea party.

I still think Trump is somewhat of a wrench though. Giving the middle finger to Fox is definitely throwing a wrench at the system. (I don't think he is doing it for the right reasons, Megyn Kelly's attacks were probably fair and pretty mild tbh, but people see that and like it because they know Fox has other interests influencing their behavior.)

Alrus

I'm surprised people here are fine with the idea of a Republican lead congress/senate working with a republican president who's probably going to be able to nominate Supreme Court Justice.

I'm going to assume they're heterosexual white males with comfortable revenue/parental support and completely lacking empathy.

I'm surprised people here are fine with the idea of a Republican lead congress/senate working with a republican president who's probably going to be able to nominate Supreme Court Justice.

I'm going to assume they're heterosexual white males with comfortable revenue/parental support and completely lacking empathy.

gamz

tumblr_nmi7tgmvvd1tbawono1_500.gif

Grover

Banned
why is bernie getting destroyed in Nevada?

I'm surprised people here are fine with the idea of a Republican lead congress/senate working with a republican president who's probably going to be able to nominate Supreme Court Justice. .

tumblr_m2wbwkc84x1ru37dno1_500.gif

the gay, trans, and minority communities are going to get absolutely trounced for god knows how long if a republican becomes president this time

shame on this country if they allow it to happen

and dont get me started about what they're going to do to women's healthcare and reproductive rights

I understand your sense of disappointment if Hillary is nominated and the status quo remains.

What I don't understand is why you think Trump will upend that status quo.

Sure, he doesn't need Super PACs or private donors to fund his campaign, but nothing he's proposed suggests his politics are any different from establishment figures like Rubio and Bush.

Just because he's not a politician doesn't mean he's not establishment. He was himself one of those big private donors before he started running, remember?
Wrong. Trump has made statements that flatly go against GOP orthodoxy. He says the wealthy should be taxed more. Hes against jobs being outsourced for cheap labor. He's said he wouldn't slash entitlement benefits.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

But it is funny! Worth it for the laughs.

I haven't been following this too closely, but is there a specific reason why Hillary is more appealing to non-whites?

The Obama coalition of voters, specifically minorities, has largely decided to support his assumed successor (Clinton). I don't believe Sanders has done a good job appealing to those people either. A large part of that is simply due to his age and many not being familiar with him though.

NeoXChaos

The Obama coalition of voters, specifically minorities, has largely decided to support his assumed successor (Clinton). I don't believe Sanders has done a good job appealing to those people either. A large part of that is simply due to his age and many not being familiar with him though.

Is it too late for Sanders?

Blader

He has an extremely good chance of winning. People have fucked up logic about everything. And the system isn't really good at handling things like the "ironic vote"

ESPECIALLY since liberals are generally less likely to vote anyway
What is the historical precedents for the system failing to handle the ironic vote?

Wrong. Trump has made statements that flatly go against GOP orthodoxy. He says the wealthy should be taxed more. Hes against jobs being outsourced for cheap labor. He's said he wouldn't slash entitlement benefits.

He *says* the wealthy should be taxed more, but his actual policy is hugely beneficial to the wealthy.

HUELEN10

When it's Hillary vs Trump you'll have to pick

Why? In 08, I voted for Ron Paul in the General because McCain lost my vote with his running mate. If it's Clinton V Trump, I am staying out of this one, hoping Hilary doesn't win. Doesn't mean I like the cunning racist that is Trump.

Cheebo

Banned
Why? In 08, I voted for Ron Paul in the General because McCain lost my vote with his running mate. If it's Clinton V Trump, I am staying out of this one, hoping Hilary doesn't win. Doesn't mean I like the cunning racist that is Trump.
Yet you liked Carson who clearly was racist against arabics and full of hate for homosexuals?

BajiBoxer

Banned
So you prefer the bigot.

Sulik2

Its odd to me that people don't understand that the only thing that matters about the next presidential election is that there are going to be Supreme Court seats opening. That trumps everything else, people don't assassinate supreme court justices very often you would be stuck for life time terms with two new conservative judges if Trump wins. That is a sound logical reason to vote for Hilary right there even if you don't like her or the status quo.

It's genuinely baffling to see the mental gymnastics and petty scenarios some people put themselves through so they can justify throwing their vote behind what's the most unambiguously racist and backwards ass candidate.

If you're willing to contribute to giving this guy a shot at nominating Justices, it says a lot about you.

So you're hoping Trump wins, because those are the options then.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's genuinely baffling to see the mental gymnastics and petty scenarios some people put themselves through so they can justify throwing their vote behind what's the most unambiguously racist and backwards ass candidate.

If you're willing to contribute to giving this guy a shot at nominating Justices, it says a lot about you.
The word of the day is "privilege".

I don't disagree with you guys.

He is campaigning as a populist, that doesn't mean his policies will be. (see Obama campaigning on transformative change. [Let's not derail the thread though].)

Trump is saying stuff like "The system is broken" "Politicians are corrupt".
Hillary is saying stuff like "More Obama"

I agree with you guys that Hillary is likely much better than Trump for the country, but if you don't see why that appeals to some folks then you are the one's out of touch here.

Instead of dismissing people's opinion as irrational and wrong (which they very well may be!), think about why they came to these conclusions. When the system is not working for you, sometimes you wouldn't mind burning the whole thing to the ground. It is just human nature. It is what happens when the government only serves a fraction of the population. As many have said, it is the ID of the tea party.

I still think Trump is somewhat of a wrench though. Giving the middle finger to Fox is definitely throwing a wrench at the system. (I don't think he is doing it for the right reasons, Megyn Kelly's attacks were probably fair and pretty mild tbh, but people see that and like it because they know Fox has other interests influencing their behavior.)

Trump is that corruption. If you believe the American political system to be hopelessly corrupt and captured by the interests of the wealthiest Americans, look no further than one of its most powerful participants.

Trump admitting that he influenced politicians and their political actions with his money isn't some bold statement. He's admitting to doing what his constituents claim to hate. He hasn't self-financed his campaign, he has taken money from large wealthy donors and will continue to serve their interests.

Perhaps he will burn the system down, but the one that will take its place will be hopelessly more corrupt and harder to change. If you believe government at all levels barely serves the people, it will be worse than you can imagine. I don't know whether anyone that supports Trump will be able to see that or whether they'll cheer about how much Trump has accomplished.

Meanwhile, the equity ethnic and religious minorities have in this country will be destroyed and the white male will reign.

People who want to dismantle our current system should understand the amount of work establishing a more equitable system will take. This isn't something that can be accomplished by merely voting for Trump in the general election. As an individual, you need to become involved in a political party that represents your views, work as an activist to see your views represented and commit years of your life to doing so.

Show up to every election in your area. Show up to meetings involving local interest groups. Show up to every goddamn city council meeting.

Real change requires work.

You want Donald Trump to win so that some subset of American liberals and minorities will flee the country in terror?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Trump is that corruption. If you believe the American political system to be hopelessly corrupt and captured by the interests of the wealthiest Americans, look no further than one of its most powerful participants.

Trump admitting that he influenced politicians and their political actions with his money isn't some bold statement. He's admitting to doing what his constituents claim to hate. He hasn't self-financed his campaign, he has taken money from large wealthy donors and will continue to serve their interests.

Perhaps he will burn the system down, but the one that will take its place will be hopelessly more corrupt and harder to change. If you believe government at all levels barely serves the people, it will be worse than you can imagine. I don't know whether anyone that supports Trump will be able to see that or whether they'll cheer about how much Trump has accomplished.

Meanwhile, the equity ethnic and religious minorities have in this country will be destroyed and the white male will reign.

People who want to dismantle our current system should understand the amount of work establishing a more equitable system will take. This isn't something that can be accomplished by merely voting for Trump in the general election. As an individual, you need to become involved in a political party that represents your views, work as an activist to see your views represented and commit years of your life to doing so.

Show up to every election in your area. Show up to meetings involving local interest groups. Show up to every goddamn city council meeting.

Real change requires work.

I'm slightly less concerned, but I mostly agree. If America survived Bush (much more religious and much more conservative, though definitely less overtly racist), I think it can survive Trump. I do think Bush did extremely difficult to undo damage though, mostly regarding the invasion of Iraq.

So work with me here.

The worst things that Bush did were the Iraq invasion, the Bush Tax cuts, his terrible supreme court appointments, and the economic crash. Right?

Hillary voted for the invasion of Iraq.
The tax cuts became permanent under Obama.
Citizens United happened under Obama and money in politics is bigger than ever now (though as a caveat, the dissenting justices were largely Obama and Clinton appointees)
Hillary is against Glass–Steagall, Obama bailed out Wall Street, etc.

Regarding minorities, Hillary is infinitely better than Trump, even though she only came out in support of gay marriage recently. That said, she was always for equal rights. I'm pretty sure we all know that both Hillary and Obama refrained from coming out in support of it because of politics, not what they actually believed. Despite Trump's inferior "official" stance, to me it seems that he really is just pandering regarding these social issues like gay marriage and abortion. If you want to take people at their word, that is fair though.

There is a bit of a double standard though that comes from Hillary supporters. Somehow electing Bernie is not a good idea because the president can't do that much by himself, but then electing Trump turns the US into a complete dystopia for minorities.

Again, I would definitely vote Hillary over Trump, but it seems many people here don't really get why some people would legitimately prefer him over Hillary.

Citizens United happened under Obama and money in politics is bigger than ever now (though as a caveat, the dissenting justices were largely Obama and Clinton appointees)
I like how this is merely a caveat as if it's not the exact fucking reason why this happened. For all the "hur we could just kick out Trump after four years!" dumbasses this is Example number fucking 1 of how a Republican president's actions can have negative consequences long after they leave office.

"Largely" Obama and Clinton appointees? You mean ONLY Obama and Clinton appointees. The five conservative members of the SCOTUS were all appointed by Republican presidents.

There is a bit of a double standard though that comes from Hillary supporters. Somehow electing Bernie is not a good idea because the president can't do that much by himself, but then electing Trump turns the US into a complete dystopia for minorities.
Bernie (and 99% chance Hillary!) will still face a Republican Congress and thus not be able to enact much of their preferred policies.

On the other hand, the tidal wave it would require for Trump to get elected president would probably be enough to let the GOP keep their House and Senate majorities.

Furthermore regardless of their actual effectiveness I would much rather have a president who maybe doesn't do enough to empower minorities than one who would actively try to oppress and even exile them from the country. Actions speak louder than words but words can be pretty damn loud too!

allan-bh

If Trump wins Iowa Caucus, it's over, will be a wave. If he lose maybe the winner (Ted Cruz likely) can gain some momentum.

On democrats side, Joe Biden must be regretting every day about not try to seek the nomination, he would beat Hillary.

hawk2025

If you are hoping Clinton doesn't win and you are not voting, you are unequivocally saying you would rather have the "cunning racist" as a president.

Wrong. Trump's released tax plan hugely benefits the wealthy. His companies have also outsourced thousands of jobs for cheap labor.

Please educate yourself.

daveo42

Banned
So vote for trump?

No, you vote 3rd party if neither candidate suits your tastes. If it ends up being Clinton v Trump, I can't bring myself to vote for them and will look at the field of 3rd parties that seem to fit more into my political leanings. I wish more people actually did this instead of voting party lines just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom