• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, out now for iOS (w/ controller & online multiplayer)

Orayn

That phone was ass and outdated the before it even came out. Controllers also shouldn't be built into the phone imo.

It's just a shame that so many iOS and Android controllers are complete and total junk, even ones from companies that otherwise seem to have some idea of what they're doing.

Nilaul

The game can be played with just the screen when a controller isn't available, but it's also worth noting that one of the "flagship" controllers being promoted with this and other games (FFIV) is actually portable since it houses the iPhone in it.
screen568x568.jpeg
(the one on top)

Why would you even use these? Go get yourself a bladepad instead. It's Daaam Sexyy:

7wKNDrQ.jpg

http://www.bladepad.com/

It's just a shame that so many iOS and Android controllers are complete and total junk, even ones from companies that otherwise seem to have some idea of what they're doing.

Yeah, I'd like to see someone make a slick looking and non bulky controller. I would also like the mobile market to grow enough to support premium games. If this happens, I'll be okay with dedicated handhelds dying out.

Goli

So this supports MFi controllers. Would it be safe to assume that a bluetooth controller would also work?

I'm pretty sure it does, they're just promoting that particular brand, which is what some other developers have done as well as of late.

Ridley327

Why would you even use these? Go get yourself a bladepad instead. It's Daaam Sexyy:

7wKNDrQ.jpg

http://www.bladepad.com/

I don't even know how this can be used for more than 5 minutes before your hands commit suicide.

This obsession with matching the form factors of the phones simply destroys the ergonomics of the controllers and drastically limits the quality of the parts that go into them.

I don't even know how this can be used for more than 5 minutes before your hands commit suicide.

This obsession with matching the form factors of the phones simply destroys the ergonomics of the controllers and drastically limits the quality of the parts that go into them.

They should make a sliding one like the PSP GO, it would make the phone bigger but it wouldn't be worse than some of the case I have seen.

Orayn

Yeah, I'd like to see someone make a slick looking and non bulky controller. I would also like the mobile market to grow enough to support premium games. If this happens, I'll be okay with dedicated handhelds dying out.

I very tentatively agree with this general idea. But we really do need non-crap controller hardware first.

Not interested in playing monster hunter without tactile feedback. No thanks.

Not even fully reading the thread title is the next evolution of not reading the OP.

Infinite

I very tentatively agree with this general idea. But we really do need non-crap controller hardware first.

Not even fully reading the thread title is the next evolution of not reading the OP.

Oh I read the thread title no need for your sass, sis. I have no interests in buying an iphone controller when I could play this game on my PSP and 3DS which already have buttons.

Goli

Oh I read the thread title no need for your sass, sis. I have no interests in buying an iphone controller when I could play this game on my PSP and 3DS which already have buttons.

You could also jailbreak your device and use a PS3 controller.

cafemomo

Please don't make nearly as much money as MH4 :(

Why not?

This will bring more people to the Monster Hunter series.

If you love the franchise, then you should be happy seeing people get introduced to it.

Who cares if it's on a iPhone.

But really, the only crime here is that it's not on Android

GulAtiCa

^^ What's your obsession with that gif? And why is it your signature for every one of your posts?

Anyways, I find this interesting. Wonder how it will play. Obviously will work better with controller I'm sure.

mothball

So this is what that mobile building is for.

Well, it supports controllers and TV out and renders higher than 400x240. Bring on MH5 iOS.

I wonder what Mileena would have to say about this.

Infinite

Why not?

This will bring more people to the Monster Hunter series.

If you love the franchise, then you should be happy seeing people get introduced to it.

Who cares if it's on a iPhone.

But really, the only crime here is that it's not on Android
I'm not in love with the iphone as a gaming device so really wouldn't be too happy if the series moved to iphone.

Goli

Looks pretty solid. Picking a good controller seems to be the biggest problem.

The ideal for me would be having a clip that somehow worked with my PS4 controller. It would look idiotic but I'm not going to be playing Monster Hunter on the bus, it would be co-op meetups with friends. Having this and other co-op games on platforms almost everybody already has rather than portables that are niche even among gamers would be nice...

And even more ideally, being able to hook up my phone to an external display. Portable Monster Hunter console, essentially.

What's bad about this again? A lot of the responses here follow the usual knee jerk reaction to mobile: "There's no hardcore games on mobile it sucks!" ... "Hardcore games shouldn't ever release on mobile!"

If you jailbreak and use a PS3 controller + streaming to an Apple TV you'd have your wishes granted, sort of.

Shengar

Good luck playing monster hunter without analog, touch screen control (and $100 controller add-on). At least it's not F2P, but what worst it still support touch screen control instead going full controller.

Elija2

Damn, Monster Hunter on phones is pretty great. I can imagine battery life being a problem though. I'm not sure how badly iPhone controllers affect battery life, but 3D online multiplayer games usually drain phone batteries pretty quickly and quests can take a while to complete. I bet it works great on iPad though.

I hope it comes to Android eventually.

cafemomo

I'm not in love with the iphone as a gaming device so really wouldn't be too happy if the series moved to iphone.

You need to embrace the mobile future.

Before I would get pissed off if any FF related game would end up on the App Store, but I have now accepted the fact that iOS/Android will be/is the portable device of choice for Japanese developers.

It still stings a bit, but that's how the market is now.

RM8

I'd buy it right now but I haven't figured out how to do it without buying a Japanese iTunes card :p

Takao

Banned
Why couldn't they have ported Frontier to iOS instead of Vita? They might have actually got some suckers buyers for that.

Infinite

Before I would get pissed off if any FF related game would end up on the App Store, but I have now accepted the fact that iOS/Android will be/is the portable device of choice for Japanese developers.

Nah I would forgo playing those games entirely tbh.

Shengar

I'm merely accepting it now. Future threads I'll just read the OP, take a deep breath, and close the thread.

Well, to be honest, this MH2PG release is actually something very positive if its gain a massive success. Why? Because you couldn't play a single hunting action game with touchscreen controll without ended up killing yourself. If people pick this up, I'm sure they'll picked controller too which is a good thing for future mobile game to have been built with controller in mind. One of the main problem I see is that the price of controller itself due to the jackshit Apple tax, and unnecessary touchscreen control that could gimped the game. There, I said it, MH2PG release will be a positive influence for mobile market since it's not F2P and requires controller to be played (optionaly, unless you want to kill yourself)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Bring Phantasy Star Online to iPhone, and I'll probably never play another game again.

SEGA, PLS.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How did Sammy get banned?

http://pso2.jp/es/

It's not as fully featured as the PC/PSV versions, though.

Welp, didn't know that existed. Wow - why is this not in the US. I just want a real, *real* PSO on a handheld. The PSP ones were decent; but man, full-blown on iOS or Vita here in the states....

Even still, gonna research this a bit. Thanks!

GulAtiCa

How did Sammy get banned?

http://pso2.jp/es/

It's not as fully featured as the PC/PSV versions, though.

I'm guessing because of going a bit hysterical with that gif signature of his in 4+ of his posts and then not actually reading the OP a little.
Edit: His posts were deleted.

I just wish PSO2 would come out in the West officially. :(

Takao

Banned
Is Portable 2nd like the version before Freedom Unite?

2nd G is the Japanese name for Freedom Unite.

Welp, didn't know that existed. Wow - why is this not in the US. I just want a real, *real* PSO on a handheld. The PSP ones were decent; but man, full-blown on iOS or Vita here in the states....

Vita is getting Phantasy Star Nova ... in Japan. Hopefully Sony localizes it for Sega.

He has a choice to abondon mobile gaming if he doesn't like the direction. Personally I can't game on my phone the battery doesn't last long enough as is. If all big Budget mobile games go this route I'm out of mobile gaming.

Toxi

Banned
Seems like this is an experiment; instead of porting a 3rd gen or even 4th gen game, Capcom ported an older title. If it does well, they will start considering mobile as a main platform for the series. I hope by that point there are some decent controllers.

It's kinda funny that Capcom's still trying to force mobile though, after their tremendous losses and expenditure on that front.

Top Bottom