• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, out now for iOS (w/ controller & online multiplayer)

Shengar

This confuses me too, even if it is an experiment. It's their highest selling game, you'd think they'd try to port it first.
Maybe because MH2P cheaper to port? Or easier for wider iOS device to played it on? I don't know the graphic enhancement from MH2PG to MH3PG, but we have to take account battery life as well.

Seems like this is an experiment; instead of porting a 3rd gen or even 4th gen game, Capcom ported an older title. If it does well, they will start considering mobile as a main platform for the series. I hope by that point there are some decent controllers.

It's kinda funny that Capcom's still trying to force mobile though, after their tremendous losses and expenditure on that front.
I personally want this experiment become a success for them under two condition: It still full paid game, never went into F2P routes and the future title will only support controller instead of having gimped touchscreen controll for. If they gained a success under that condition, the mobile market will move from F2P and one-hand touchscreen into something more prospective in game design variety.

But if they give up and turned into F2P for future Monster Hunter, then welp *shrugs.

Takao

Banned
Spamming popgaf gif. If you noticed, some of Sammy's posts in this thread were deleted.

I didn't notice because they were deleted before I read this thread, haha.

This confuses me too, even if it is an experiment. It's their highest selling game, you'd think they'd try to port it first.

Portable 3rd is the last proper Monster Hunter on PlayStation. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still doing some business on PSP/PSV/PS3. I doubt anyone in Japan is buying 2nd G anymore.

CamHostage

Crazy world we're living in. I wish there would be some controller for these machines that was finally worth owning so I could finally give up the argument and embrace the mobile gaming future. I love my Vita and 3DS, but if this is where all of Japan is going, I've got to get on board (...unless, of course, they continue to not translate the games for play outside of Japan, in which case I don't know what to do?)

Sintoid

Am I wrong or Capcom's support to Android is someway equal to zero? I've got only Ghosts'n Goblins for Android but I can't remember any other Capcom game....

I suppose we'll never see any MH on Android, right?

Tripon

Am I wrong or Capcom's support to Android is someway equal to zero? I've got only Ghosts'n Goblins for Android but I can't remember any other Capcom game....

Its a lot easier to port and make money on iOS. That is all to it.

Izuna

Banned
iPad mini is a great handheld device, better than the Vita. Kotor, this, tons of awesome remakes etc. and apps.

And let's not forget the fact that you can suspend any app and have more than one running.

Still doesn't come close to the Surface Pro playing Titanfall, but I am jealous of the touch compatible versions of games, especially Kotor. If only GestureWorks wasn't so flawed.

The last few nails in the coffin for traditional handhelds!

Only thing left is Pokemon. If it ever happens and Nintendo starts going ios, and we see a Pokemon released for ios/droid, that'll be the last nail!

Enjoy handhelds while they last!

Tripon

I can agree with you about making money... not on porting...
On iOS, you worry about 3 or 4 versions of iOS and phones. On android, you have dozens of customized android OS and hundreds of phones to worry about.

I have an android and I understand some of the games I want to play are not going to come on it.

Pila

Can a smartphone battery sustain a couple hours of online hunting using a BT controller?

I would need to buy an iSomething, a new controller and the game. Damn Capcom, you want me broke. :D

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
So this is the end of portable consoles

Prototype

Excellent news.
So happy games like this are coming to mobile Platforms, hoping this makes its way to android as well. I would buy a controller for a game like this

game over man game over D: although judging from the trailers the game looks quite weird to play although the constant lock on is nice but really im more curious to see how this does and wonder what the future mainline titles will go to

Sintoid

On iOS, you worry about 3 or 4 versions of iOS and phones. On android, you have dozens of customized android OS and hundreds of phones to worry about.

I have an android and I understand some of the games I want to play are not going to come on it.

Customized android are mostly customized on their interface and apps. Kernel is usually untouched. There's a lot of reasons to ditch Android (the first one you mentioned - monetizing - is the main I think) but Android customization is not the one imho

... Unexpected. Still, the controls would be bad. But they were bad when it first came out. Perhaps I'll adapt as I did last time it came out.

Shengar

Well, what an interesting development.

I hope this helps to drive iOS controller adoption.
Full paid games too dave, full paid games.
Unless Capcom try to pull a curve ball, making it a F2P title which will kills my hope in healthy mobile market enviroment as handheld substitue.
Yeah, you ain't kidding. They really dropped a bollock there.

Is it because Apple tax or the manufacturer just want to screwing with their consumers?

Ty4on

Good luck playing monster hunter without analog, touch screen control (and $100 controller add-on). At least it's not F2P, but what worst it still support touch screen control instead going full controller.

Japan never cared about good controls. They just want to play Monster Hunter.
PSP_Claw.jpg

Peru

By the way this game is of course available in the west for the Vita where you can map the camera to the 2nd stick so if you're interested you should just get it right now.

Vuze

PSP_Claw.jpg

Good old claw!

About to buy this, just waiting for my iTunes card code to deliver. But Capcom plz, do HD remasters of the PSP/PS2 games and no mobile ports...

P2ndG hype!

Shengar

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110215183805/monsterhunter/images/b/b9/PSP_Claw.jpgMG][/QUOTE]

At least PSP have one analog stick for precised movement control.

M3d10n

The claw taken to a whole new level!

Android didn't pass the Capcom Test™.

IvorB

If this is successful, I wonder if Capcom will consider putting MH5 on iOS? Oh and poor Vita hahaha.

Wow. iOS got Monster Hunter before Vita did. That was way harsh, Capcom.

iOS gaming is pretty crazy right now. Yesterday on the bus I saw someone playing Knights of the Old Republic on an iPhone.

I added controller to the title since people seem to have issue seeing that one.

Why?

What's wrong with this release?

It even supports controllers.

Yeah this is actually a move i can get behind

ESPECIALLY if Controllers are supported...... No android support yet though......

Wow. iOS got Monster Hunter before Vita did. That was way harsh, Capcom.

iOS gaming is pretty crazy right now. Yesterday on the bus I saw someone playing Knights of the Old Republic on an iPhone.

Vita already HAS this game dummy!

Garou

To those asking (begging?) for Android: Japan is iOS-country

kantar_march_smartphone_sales.jpg

The still rather big share of Android lies in the fact that until last fall the biggest carrier did not carry the iPhone, which changed with the 5S/C, so I would expect that gap to even widen a little in the next quarters.

Source

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Apparently there's a lot of people that ignore that all the PSP Monster Hunter games are playable on Vita with the second analog( = Vita the best way to play them imo)

There were even comparisons between PSP LCD and Vita OLED with Monster Hunter
218163-size.jpg

I can't wait to see this game selling like crazy and Capcom shifting entirely on IOS lol

Now that many smartphones are getting better and better gamepad options and support I guess I dont mind as much

Still would rather play on Vita but Smartphone COULD work as long as we get decent controls.

Outside of Xperia Play there has yet to be a decent all in one gaming smartphone option and that bums me out

Smartphones need to have a control option even slightly better than that to have me consider playing traditional MH on it.

Top Bottom