• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, out now for iOS (w/ controller & online multiplayer)

Why isn't it an option? I've already played this on the PSP and then on the Vita.

Oh lol

Im not telling you to literally buy and replay the game bro

This IS a good sign of expansion for the franchise in a place where they seems to be obsessed

If they HAVE to go mobile I at least hope it ends up being decent ports like these..... though we are waiting on impressions to confirm that its a quality port.

la_briola

Oh lol

Im not telling you to literally buy and replay the game bro

This IS a good sign of expansion for the franchise in a place where they seems to be obsessed

If they HAVE to go mobile I at least hope it ends up being decent ports like these..... though we are waiting on impressions to confirm that its a quality port.
MH4 just sold over 4 million copies. They don't HAVE to do anything.

They took the profits of MH4 to fund Mobile development

They aren't abandoning the Portable Versions (see MH4G ultimate)

But MOBILE is in their future for expansion.

And this port is certainly much better conceived than the Last 2 Mobile games they made in the MH universe.

I just hope the upcoming MH game on 3DS makes bank.

It will

I just want this to break away from the Nintendo chains.

Ill take Android sine My friends and I all own several android devices

IOS is a bit trickier and more expensive but they are prevalent. Plus I bet Apple has Gaming plans in the works for its Set Top Apple TV

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why should they say no to easy money? Not to mention dedicated handhelds are on the decline and iphones still sell like crazy.
They still sold 4 million copies on these dedicated handheld devices - while I don't know anybody who give a rats ass about MH on a smartphone. No wonder their titkes have been performing like shit on these Plattform, instead of developing new IPs tailored for the input of the new devices they try to port every game over.

Android or bust! Can't you just straight up hook a PS3 controller up to an android device? I remember seeing this weird clip that attached to a Dualshock 3, and connected the controller to the phone.

The thought of using something like that on my wifes new HTC One M8 sounds delightful :p

J0dy77

I can't see this being a success.
If you don't want to carry a 3DS or PSP (Vita), why would you carry a separate controller?

Because the iOS market is bigger than the nintendo/sony portable market (combined). Touch controls will be enough for some people to buy it right out of the gate and the control option will be there for the hardcore minority.

I will definitely buy this if it comes to the west. I just want a decent control pad for the iPhone 6 that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount.

IvorB

If you don't mind bringing an iphone and a vita around, surely you won't have problem bringing an iphone and a controller around

Hmmm... fair enough I guess.

No no

You missed my point

I am saying that this really wont excite me until someone delivers another gaming oriented phone like the Xperia Play.

Without some clever design to incorporate the controller into the phone itself I really dont see myself playing it

That said this is very exciting for set top box setups like Apple TV and All the google ones

Anything that makes it cheap and easy to play Monster Hunter (many android set tops go for 100 or so) could be great.

Yeah sorry I just used your post as a starting point for a general rant. It wasn't directed at you.

lyrick

What generation iOS devices is this for?

Would it be technically feasible to see an Amazon FireTV port (assuming Capcom would eventually support android and the amazon android ecosystem)

You also can on iOS equally simply
if you're jailbroken
:p

That's an entirely different subject for another day perhaps :p But I'm almost certain you don't even need to root your android device to get it to work with a DS3. I might be mistaken however lol.

I remember wanting to try it out because SNES9x was on the Gplay store, and a nexus 7 and a PS3 controller just sounds pretty awesome lol

Santiako

That's an entirely different subject for another day perhaps :p But I'm almost certain you don't even need to root your android device to get it to work with a DS3. I might be mistaken however lol.

I remember wanting to try it out because SNES9x was on the Gplay store, and a nexus 7 and a PS3 controller just sounds pretty awesome lol

If I can play this on my Nexus 7 with my ps3 controller this year, that would ease the wait for MH4U so much

Before I got my Nvidia Shield I used to play emulators and Rockstar ports like GTA and Max Payne with a wired 360 controller and a Nexus 7, if you have a good stand it's like having a small TV to play console style while your wife watches So You Think You Can Dance. And yeah, no rooting required. The OS can even be fully controlled with a pad, right down to selecting keys on a virtual keyboard.

Before I got my Nvidia Shield I used to play emulators and Rockstar ports like GTA and Max Payne with a wired 360 controller and a Nexus 7, if you have a good stand it's like having a small TV to play console style while your wife watches So You Think You Can Dance. And yeah, no rooting required. The OS can even be fully controlled with a pad, right down to selecting keys on a virtual keyboard.

Holy crap I had no idea it went that far :p Thanks for the info! Yeah we have that fold/flip stand thing that works pretty well.

I personally want the handheld market to shrink, I like the thought of playing games on my mobile computer, but I do agree that input's need to change on a massive scale.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AS22BYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 works for me at home, and I usually take my back-pack to work with me, so it could work there as well.

Obviously doesn't work for everyone though :p

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I used to joke that the MH devs are incapable of advancing the franchise, and that after 3ds they would move to the next weakest platform, smart watch. The jokes on me. This series is turning from beloved to repugnant.

Still beloved though lol. And capcom is very happy with the sales on 3DS too, the gamers (well, those who get to play it at least) are happy too, so its a very good decision.

Kacho

Do the monsters have reduced health pools? Watching the video, the guy makes very short work of the Kut-Ku.

CTLance

Want.

Not enough to make a Japanese iTunes account (again), not enough to stand for missing localisation, ... and not enough to buy an iOS compatible gamepad.

Honestly, if this ever comes out in EU I will give it a try. I still carry around my old PSP with Mh2F from time to time. If I can use my comparatively huge hirez iPad as display instead, so be it. MonHun mobile, it's the future. Probably. I think I wouldn't mind.

Want.

Not enough to make a Japanese iTunes account (again), not enough to stand for missing localisation, ... and not enough to buy an iOS compatible gamepad.

Honestly, if this ever comes out in EU I will give it a try. I still carry around my old PSP with Mh2F from time to time. If I can use my comparatively huge hirez iPad as display instead, so be it. MonHun mobile, it's the future. Probably. I think I wouldn't mind.

To be fair, this game is already localized and playable on Vita with both sticks functional.

If you own a Vita....

Otherwise, yeah you'd need this particular port localized, a phone and a controller.

I'm curious to see where this goes for Capcom and their future mobile endeavors.

SmokyDave

I think you just sold me on a Nexus 7. That sounds badass and I don't fancy jailbreaking my iPad.

I think you just sold me on a Nexus 7. That sounds badass and I don't fancy jailbreaking my iPad.

It's a really great option for emulators in particular, and you can use Kainy to do streaming from your PC as well (regardless of GPU hardware). Just be warned that the amount of native game content on Android is still a long way behind iOS, with a lot of games either coming months late or not at all. Emulation, on the other hand, is really very good.

Haunted

If this is a sign of where Monster Hunter 5 is going...

Mobile is literally the only realistic place left for them to put out new games that still use original PS2 assets, it's been a nightmare scenario for a while now!

That said, this seems like a perfectly fine old game port just like the others that phones have amassed by now (GTA etc).

If this does well Portable 4th might actually end up on iOS instead of Vita which would be shocking.

Geez I hope not

I would rather them EXPAND and support as many platforms as possible

Not condense but there is little hope at the moment for Capcom to support Vita...

At least Vita is seeing a rise in Japan. I hope it turns their head because its EASY money

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The opposite for me. I hope this bombs.
I supported them by importing MH4 for the 3DS.
Have you already forgotten that PSP owners supported Capcom and Capcom moved on 3ds without hesitations? Did you really expect Capcom to be faithful because you support them? Lol
You should consider yourself lucky that Capcom decided to start with a PSP game and not directly with a 3ds one.

la_briola

Have you already forgotten that PSP owners supported Capcom and Capcom moved on 3ds without hesitations? Did you really expect Capcom to be faithful because you support them? Lol
You should consider yourself lucky that Capcom decided to start with a PSP game and not directly with a 3ds one.

I don't care if MH is on the PSP, 3DS, VITA, WII U or PS4.
I'm happy as long as its on a dedicated gaming system.

Vuze

Okay, so I finally got around to do my first quest (3 Burango):

• Interface looks super crisp, way better than on 3DS (surprise surprise)
  • Game looks pretty good, it has been quite some time but I'd say more than a tad better than PSP
  • Framerate feels like a solid 30 to me, I don't know if there is a way to measure this on iOS devices, will look around
  • Touch controls were okay, camera reminded me a bit of my first time with MH3G on the 3DS
  • No official way to import PSP saves, but you have the same "Import char from MHP2Gi save" setting we know from the PSP titles
  • Game download was ~700mb, unpacked on iOS ~1GB

I recorded some footage on-device with Display recorder, will see if I can upload it for you :)

Ah, sweet. I'm glad things are picking up. It's better for everyone if mobile devs have two valid ecosystems to hawk their wares, I reckon. Spreads the risk a bit and hopefully encourages larger, more complex projects.
The one exception seems to be SEGA, with PSO2es releasing first on Android and the iOS version still under development.

impact

Banned
Hope this bombs, need to focus on 5 on the 3ds/wii U

image.php

SuperSah

Banned
Hm.

Upon further inspection, the controls for sliding the attack left, right, up and down seem clunky as hell.

I'll keep playing on my 3DS, cheers.

Top Bottom