• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, out now for iOS (w/ controller & online multiplayer)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
To those asking (begging?) for Android: Japan is iOS-country

The still rather big share of Android lies in the fact that until last fall the biggest carrier did not carry the iPhone, which changed with the 5S/C, so I would expect that gap to even widen a little in the next quarters.

Source

No matter how you slice it - the Android userbase is too big to ignore if you are developing mobile titles. Its always a question of available resources, but sooner or later the apps will end on Android. Putting them on iOS first is easier because of limited numbers of devices, so testing is easier.

SmokyDave

No matter how you slice it - the Android userbase is too big to ignore if you are developing mobile titles. Its always a question of available resources, but sooner or later the apps will end on Android. Putting them on iOS first is easier because of limited numbers of devices, so testing is easier.
Android cats don't buy games. The iOS audience is smaller, but far more willing to put their hands in their wallets.

IvorB

Yeah this is actually a move i can get behind

ESPECIALLY if Controllers are supported...... No android support yet though......

Vita already HAS this game dummy!

Yeah but there is no MHP2ndG Vita port or sth, it's just the PSP version on an emulator 1:1.

I think Ivors idea was that iOS got a "true" MH port / release before Vita which is kinda sad.

Yeah PSP game doesn't count. This is a fully native iOS port. Sign of the times I guess. I hope Capcom is happy with Vita's blood on its hands.

cw_sasuke

Android cats don't buy games. The iOS audience is smaller, but far more willing to put their hands in their wallets.

They buy enough games to justify a port to a platform which is relevant and will be relevant for the next 10 years. If not, there is still other ways to make money via Ads or iAP while the main app is free. The regular PC owner also buys and plays less games than an console owner - doesnt mean the PC as a platform isnt attractive to developers ;-)

iOS "cats" keep repeating the same arguments without realizing how much has changed on Android as a gaming platform in the last 2 years alone - dont see improvements stopping anytime soon, with the time frame between releases getting smaller as well.

IvorB

Now that many smartphones are getting better and better gamepad options and support I guess I dont mind as much

Still would rather play on Vita but Smartphone COULD work as long as we get decent controls.

Outside of Xperia Play there has yet to be a decent all in one gaming smartphone option and that bums me out

Smartphones need to have a control option even slightly better than that to have me consider playing traditional MH on it.

But seriously, what in the world is the good of a controller that plugs into your smart phone. Are you seriously going to construct this Frankenstein's console on the Tube or the bus? Are people going to carry around a controller to plug into their iPhones? I really don't get this. Unless the plan is to output the iPhone to a TV and play at home I really don't see how this can be viable. Maybe any iOS controller users out there can comment.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
But seriously, what in the world is the good of a controller that plugs into your smart phone. Are you seriously going to construct this Frankenstein's console on the Tube or the bus? Are people going to carry around a controller to plug into their iPhones? I really don't get this. Unless the plan is to output the iPhone to a TV and play at home I really don't see how this can be viable. Maybe any iOS controller users out there can comment.

If you don't mind bringing an iphone and a vita around, surely you won't have problem bringing an iphone and a controller around

SmokyDave

They buy enough games to justify a port to a platform which is relevant and will be relevant for the next 10 years. If not, there is still other ways to make money via Ads or iAP while the main app is free. The regular PC owner also buys and plays less games than an console owner - doesnt mean the PC as a platform isnt attractive to developers ;-)
If you were making a traditional AAA game though, you're probably targeting consoles and then porting to PC later. It's not just Capcom that go iOS first (or exclusively), it's almost everyone. They must have their reasons, and I suspect they boil down to money primarily.

iOS "cats" keep repeating the same arguments without realizing how much has changed on Android as a gaming platform in the last 2 years alone - dont see improvements stopping anytime soon, with the time frame between releases getting smaller as well.
I dunno man, still strikes me as the two platforms are leagues apart where gaming support is concerned. Is there an Android version of Hitman Go? FTL? Monument Valley? Hearthstone? Wayward Souls?

I dunno, I don't really follow the Android marketplace. Maybe they are getting closer to some sort of release parity. All I know is that the dudes in my office on Android are always grumbling that they miss out on game 'x', game 'y', and that game 'z' ain't coming until 6 months after the iOS version.

Kssio_Aug

I just dont see smartphones as a hardcore platform gaming (nor iOS, neither Android). And Monster Hunter is a game that should be seeling to a proper gaming platform.

Even if they support controller, it sucks to play on a smartphone screen with another peripheral. It seems clunky.

I only play angry birds and plague inc on my smartphone. And not even that much, since I prefer ebooks or navigating on the internet with it, when on a bus or anywhere.

Vita would have been an excelent choice. Too bad that capcom seems to not care with it.

cw_sasuke

If you were making a traditional AAA game though, you're probably targeting consoles and then porting to PC later. It's not just Capcom that go iOS first (or exclusively), it's almost everyone. They must have their reasons, and I suspect they boil down to money primarily.

I dunno man, still strikes me as the two platforms are leagues apart where gaming support is concerned. Is there an Android version of Hitman Go? FTL? Monument Valley? Hearthstone? Wayward Souls?

I dunno, I don't really follow the Android marketplace. Maybe they are getting closer to some sort of release parity. All I know is that the dudes in my office on Android are always grumbling that they miss out on game 'x', game 'y', and that game 'z' ain't coming until 6 months after the iOS version.

Dont get me wrong, iOS is still the No1. priority for most mobile devs because its easier to optimize for the hardware, customers are spending more on the AppStore and the iPad being the most popular tablet.

But sooner or later most big titles also end up on Android, thats what im saying. Dont know much about the titles you mentioned other than that Heartstone Android is definitely coming. Stuff like The Room 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Walking Dead by Telltale, Threes, Baldurs Gate EE show up regulary nowadays on the AppStore - yes it might take some time because of limited resources but its not like 2011-12 were you would be lucky to get any kind of games. Additional because of the more powerful hardware of the latest Android devices since 2013 and Google optimizing the OS dev pipelines, the games have been performing really nice.

It helps also that Android is powering new systems like Kindle Fire TV - it only keeps getting better.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If you don't mind bringing an iphone and a vita around, surely you won't have problem bringing an iphone and a controller around

This is my thinking. Instead of bringing my 3DS/Vita along (always have my phone with me), I can simply bring a controller.

SmokyDave

Dont get me wrong, iOS is still the No1. priority for most mobile devs because its easier to optimize for the hardware, customers are spending more on the AppStore and the iPad being the most popular tablet.

But sooner or later most big titles also end up on Android, thats what im saying. Dont know much about the titles you mentioned other than that Heartstone Android is definitely coming. Stuff like The Room 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Walking Dead by Telltale, Threes, Baldurs Gate EE show up regulary nowadays on the AppStore - yes it might take some time because of limited resources but its not like 2011-12 were you would be lucky to get any kind of games. Additional because of the more powerful hardware of the latest Android devices since 2013 and Google optimizing the OS dev pipelines, the games have been performing really nice.

It helps also that Android is powering new systems like Kindle Fire TV - it only keeps getting better.
Ah, sweet. I'm glad things are picking up. It's better for everyone if mobile devs have two valid ecosystems to hawk their wares, I reckon. Spreads the risk a bit and hopefully encourages larger, more complex projects.

Vuze

Any hope for a release around this parts?

I didn't hear of any MH mobile game of the hundreds they released in Japan make it to the west except for Dynamic Hunting (which wasn't even completly updated to provide all content here iirc) so... maybe not.

No no

You missed my point

I am saying that this really wont excite me until someone delivers another gaming oriented phone like the Xperia Play.

Without some clever design to incorporate the controller into the phone itself I really dont see myself playing it

That said this is very exciting for set top box setups like Apple TV and All the google ones

Anything that makes it cheap and easy to play Monster Hunter (many android set tops go for 100 or so) could be great.

I don't see why it wouldn't, given that it's been fully localized for years now, but Capcom sure likes staggering their mobile releases.

It is kind of still experimental

They are still feeling out their mobile options since just about everything before has failed

Nice to see a serious effort here with an actual full featured game like Unite.

The most exciting thing is the dual support options of Controller/Touchscreen

Its a welcome acknowledgment of the neccessity to have an option for traditional controls for Full games like this. One of the few cool things Capcom has done in the Mobile space so far!

Anura

I don't know if there are any other IOS controllers that can hook up to the Iphone like that but the one they showed looks absolutely dreadful for MH. Do they at least have a "quick focus" like the 3DS? If not you would either have to give up proper portability to carry around a better controller or slog through with even worse camera control than before

Still an interesting move by Capcom even if MHFU has been played to death at this point

Infinite

I don't know if there are any other IOS controllers that can hook up to the Iphone like that but the one they showed looks absolutely dreadful for MH. Do they at least have a "quick focus" like the 3DS? If not you would either have to give up proper portability to carry around a better controller or slog through with even worse camera control than before

Still an interesting move by Capcom even if MHFU has been played to death at this point
You can just play this very same game on the Vita. Also it has a full lock on camera

I saw a guy doing it once. Imo it will remain very niche, and lots of people will cry of frustration while playing with touch controls. But, who knows? This is just the beginning.

Shengar

What what what?
I rather see many games become iOS exclusive rather than ridden with ads or IAP just because they need to monetize Android versions. Don't get me wrong, I never owned iOS device, but if ads and IAP still the main revenue for mobile games, they wouldn't move anywhere soon. The reason why I see this as positive trend is that Capcom release it as paid apps, and controller support, albeit optional on the latter.

ethanny2

Would buy, but crap its over, we're never gonna see another Monster Hunter on Consoles or handhelds again if this does remotely well then Capcom will release a new iOS Megaman, then Resident Evil.... then all Japanese devs will follow

BUT, damn look at those graphics and that online.... (will buy on Android

200_s.gif

tuffy

iOS + addon controller is pretty much the 32X of portables. It's targeting people who own both a common piece of hardware and a not-so-common one in order to get the best experience. Given the game is pretty old to begin with, it seems like more of an experiment or proof-of-concept.

la_briola

I can't see this being a success.
If you don't want to carry a 3DS or PSP (Vita), why would you carry a separate controller?

cw_sasuke

Ah, sweet. I'm glad things are picking up. It's better for everyone if mobile devs have two valid ecosystems to hawk their wares, I reckon. Spreads the risk a bit and hopefully encourages larger, more complex projects.

True, the more streamlined the whole mobile development gets with engines like Unity or UE 4.0 targeting iOS/Android devices - the better for all involved. It will only get better from now on.

What what what?
I rather see many games become iOS exclusive rather than ridden with ads or IAP just because they need to monetize Android versions. Don't get me wrong, I never owned iOS device, but if ads and IAP still the main revenue for mobile games, they wouldn't move anywhere soon. The reason why I see this as positive trend is that Capcom release it as paid apps, and controller support, albeit optional on the latter.

Well thats how it is, not how i want it to be - while stuff like Angry Birds for example sells well on iOS, the free ad-supported versions on Android are very popular as well - but you also can buy the game as on iOS to get rid of the ads. Or even better you root your device and wont see ads even in the ad-supported versions ;-)

Personal i couldnt care less for a title like MH on the mobile - if i need an extra controller to "enjoy" the game i might just get it on a handheld. Especially when the iOS controller look like shit and cost even more.

Would buy, but crap its over, we're never gonna see another Monster Hunter on Consoles or handhelds again if this does remotely well then Capcom will release a new iOS Megaman, then Resident Evil.... then all Japanese devs will follow

yeah.....no.

This was exclusive only in the sense that up until now, it was on just the PSP. Most of the content that's in the game has been on other platforms for ages now.
Still doesn't make sense, so this game wasn't exclusive to Sony. Only released on the psp.I played every iteration of MH except the original on PS2.

Ridley327

Still doesn't make sense, so this game wasn't exclusive to Sony. Only released on the psp.I played every iteration of MH except the original on PS2.

Why doesn't it make sense? Capcom has put so many Monster Hunter spin-offs out on mobile already that it was a matter of time before they ported one of the older games over.

Oh well, I can see this doing well in JP. I think this confirms I won't be getting a new original MH on a Sony platform. I even bought a WiiU to play MH.

Why doesn't it make sense? Capcom has put so many Monster Hunter spin-offs out on mobile already that it was a matter of time before they ported one of the older games over.
Well in a sense I figured the portable versions were exclusive.Which I thought were the reasons they never got ported. I figured we would see a new installment before a port.

I used to joke that the MH devs are incapable of advancing the franchise, and that after 3ds they would move to the next weakest platform, smart watch. The jokes on me. This series is turning from beloved to repugnant.

Vuze

Finally got my code *sigh*

Now downloading, excited to see how it looks and performs on my 5S and also how touch controls turn out and if Controller for All works flawless!

Shengar

I used to joke that the MH devs are incapable of advancing the franchise, and that after 3ds they would move to the next weakest platform, smart watch. The jokes on me. This series is turning from beloved to repugnant.

Capcom's MH team really love their PS2 assets, aren't they?

Kacho

Finally got my code *sigh*

Now downloading, excited to see how it looks and performs on my 5S and also how touch controls turn out and if Controller for All works flawless!

Awesome, very much looking forward to impressions. Especially for the touch controls. :)

I won't lie. This release has me pretty damn excited. Really hoping Capcom brings this to the West as I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If we start seeing more games like this being released on iOS in the future, I'll most definitely start taking the platform more seriously for my gaming needs.

bobawesome

Lol speak for yourself!, it only gets more and more awesome to me now that my kids are old enough to enjoy it with me!

:p

Yeah...I hardly see how a
n enhanced
port of a several year old PSP game devalues the franchise in any way. I could understand if it was filled to the brim with in-app purchases but that doesn't look to be the case.

I understand the frustration

But of all the Mobile games that Capcom has gotten into..... THIS is the only one worth supporting IMHO

RIP Breath of Fire ::tears::

Top Bottom