• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS + NSA reveal. Wil this affect the Kinect?

orznge

Banned
You guys do realize that after doing the first set up, you just have to verify the system online once, then can disconnect it from the internet which means no one can be watching or listening to you play Call of Duty if you are that paranoid. Like the government is wasting their time getting videos of gamers playing Xbox. Unless you are a potential threat to national security this shouldn't worry you anyways.

can you link your source for your claim that the Xbox One will continue to function if the kinect is turned off (off, not "suspended") or covered

It would be fantastic if it became an issue.

It would indicate that the public at large cares about NSA data gathering.

Unfortunately, even with all the info available today, they don't.

If I was worried I'd be more worried about my Windows laptop with my and web cam that I'm at for like 8 hours a day at work then 4 more at home and has a browser that I use to check email, my bank accounts, talk to friends on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Same with mt Smartphone that does a lot of the same functionality.

The Kinect will only know the handful of people I add on my friends list and what food I eat while watching Netflix.

I'm pretty sure if the NSA wanted to be ass backwards and tap your gaming console of choice...which doesnt make sense btw. Sony will comply.

They won't.

They answer to the Japanese government. If they give a backdoor they give it to there home country. They'd have to get the Japanese governments approval first. Good luck with that.

Now if it used a forked Android... That'd be a different story.

Still I wouldn't leave my camera plugged in.

delirium

Sony is a Japaneses company so they have the rights to say no. Still I am not plugging in my camera during "night time".
What? No. Sony is a international companies with significant holdings in America. If they don't comply, the US government can legally prosecute and fine them.

Considering the fact that MS gave their Windows back door access to NSA, don't be surprised and get pissed off when you find out that NSA has videos and audios of your living room.

Wouldn't they have that already using Windows? Having back door access would surely allow them to remotely access and operate the camera and microphone on your laptop....

ari

Banned
Does not compute. Why would they tap your phones when they could have access to your living room whenever they want?

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." -Jurassic Park

Having access to data like this is dangerous, even if they don't know what they're going to use it for yet. One word: leverage.

Of course I'm making assertions, but I'll be damned if that means I can't like the implications.
I swear to god I stopped reading right there.

Valkyria

Banned
I have seen it all in my life, fanboys defending Microsoft even though how serious is all this.

Yeah land of the free they call the States. The very same people who defend their constitutional right to bear arms to defend their self from government is pretty much OK to let them spy them like those filthy commies did in countries such as Romania.

Luckily many of he apologist here are around 15, and they can not truly understand what all this means, they can just mutter "Bu bu but spying on 10 year olds with doritos lololol."

However, I think the problem is with Microsoft providing another avenue or tool, with Kinect "always on" in our living room, for the Government to once again gather data from people. I think that is really what most of the outrage is based on.

But by that argument, people should have way more than one target for outrage. Photo recognition software, facial recognition, voice recognition, etc. etc. in all its forms. This stuff is used in so many forms nowadays. And counting. Why single out this one completely optional one? You have every option to not put a Kinect in your home.

jmls1121

Banned
Still a choice.

Okay, sure, but would you agree that for a person working a career type job, a video game console would be seen as more of a luxury item than a smartphone.

Sure, we could live off the grid, but maybe we just don't want the NSA watching a live feed of my living room.

Honestly while I find having a camera in my living room unappealing it's more for other reasons than the government snooping on me

I am rather disappointed by what MS has said about kinects advertising potential

I do not want my game console to collect any data on me for any reason

I know, I know

That's my own personal preference but still, advertisement data collection is everywhere

Don't want it on my games console

Valkyria

Banned
But by that argument, people should have way more than one target for outrage. Photo recognition software, facial recognition, voice recognition, etc. etc. in all its forms. This stuff is used in so many forms nowadays. And counting. Why single out this one completely optional one? You have every option to not put a Kinect in your home.

So basically your are just saying "Leave Microsoft alone". Shilling much?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, if they tap my Kinect should I really be worried? Yeah, the whole "principal" argument makes perfect sense, but me, myself, I'm not doing anything. Why should something like that stop me from enjoying an entertainment device?

Or is it the "this is just the first step to being monitored 24/7 and having a 'City 17' style future" thing?

ari

Banned
I have seen it all in my life, fanboys defending Microsoft even though how serious is all this.

Yeah land of the free they call the States. The very same people who defend their constitutional right to bear arms to defend their self from government is pretty much OK to let them spy them like those filthy commies did in countries such as Romania.

Luckily many of he apologist here are around 15, and they can not truly understand what all this means, they can just mutter "Bu bu but spying on 10 year olds with doritos lololol."
wowzers.

Doesn't Kinect have all those features you mentioned basically built in, all in ONE? I don't have any of that technology in my house right now, but with the Xbox One, I could have all of it instantly. And you are right, thank goodness I do have other options, cause I am not putting a Kinect in my home.

orznge

Banned
So, if they tap my Kinect should I really be worried? Yeah, the whole "principal" argument makes perfect sense, but me, myself, I'm not doing anything. Why should something like that stop me from enjoying an entertainment device?

Or is it the "this is just the first step to being monitored 24/7 and having a 'City 17' style future" thing?

lmao

BigDug13

The question isn't whether or not it will have an effect, because it will, but how much of an effect? What percentage of their 77 million person marketshare will bail for this specific reason?

Wouldn't they have that already using Windows? Having back door access would surely allow them to remotely access and operate the camera and microphone on your laptop....

Of course they do. Now they'll have access to your living room. Even better because the camera's always there.

It's not really that hard to gain access either. I remember during Windows 98 days, they had a program and all it needed was an IP address and you could have complete control of the computer. You could see the webcam. Listen to the mic. Print out. Access the hard drive. Anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if the creator of that program has been working for the NSA and MS since Win95 days

Trogdor1123

X1 is the last place I expect the NSA to go snooping. Nobody, not even terrorists, should be even remotely concerned about using Kinect IMO.

EDIT: Is there a source stating that Kinect is even gathering information while idle? What sort of information, worst case, could it even conceivably track? Recording audio? Video?

Has be on in some fashion, you can turn it on verbally...

The fuck? Tone that shit down son.

he cant because its made up

Oh. Thanks.

Croyles

I'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft, but as someone else has said, the root of the problem are governments. The companies follow but if our collective governments wouldn't be so paranoid and willing to spy on everyone for an alleged safety, that I at least, would gladly sacrifice, the companies would have someone better to follow.

It won't significantly stop people from buying the X1 just as it won't stop people buying Android and iOS phones etc. The only difference with the console is that the Kinect can be seen as a rather obvious and blunt spy device and Microsoft's apparent public willingness to comply with the NSA beyond simple metadata.

As another person also said, Ben Franklin was right.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

But I guess this is venturing into non-gaming discussion. A bit difficult to distinguish the two in this topic though.

Takuya

Banned
It's always listening if you want it to be. You can disable it, or outright shut it down when you're not using it.

You act like they're using the Kinect as a way to single people out. If NSA was so good at getting information, the Boston Marathon stuff wouldn't happened. Also, it was Sony who filed the trademark to analyze people in the room and advertise based on that.
I honestly don't know how people keep defending the thing or Microsoft. Everything that comes out from them is poison lately; disable Kinect completely you say they mentioned? Then there is absolutely no reason why the damned device need be plugged in at all. Yet people will try to find some way to defend its inclusion, even for those who don't want it or don't want it connected.

Majmun

Still a choice.

I'd use pigeon's for mail delivery. But they're pretty slow and I fucking hate them.

So what other choices do I have when it comes to delivering messages to people? Right, just the cellphone.

In my life a cellphone is not a choice. I need it to make a living. Not comparable to this X1 scenario where I actually have a choice and can buy a Wii U or Ps4 instead...

B.O.O.M

I came into this thread thinking there's no way anyone would defend or damage control over this. I was proven wrong. Gamers need to set aside their fanboy tendencies in the face of shit like this. If you can't see how fucked up this is then there's something very wrong with you

EDIT: Is there a source stating that Kinect is even gathering information while idle? What sort of information, worst case, could it even conceivably track? Recording audio? Video?
By default the Kinect is at least in a low power state listening for the voice command to turn it on, so it is receiving and interpreting audio. You're supposed to be able to disable this feature, but there still doesn't seem to be a way to guarantee the thing is completely powered down, and no capability to use the Xbone without the Kinect attached and powered on.

orznge

Banned
I came into this thread thinking there's no way anyone would defend on damage control over this. I was proven wrong. Gamers need to set aside their fanboy tendencies in the face of shit like this. If you can't see how fucked up this is then there's something very wrong with you

fwiw I sincerely hope that people's privacy rights are violated on a massive scale out of spite towards the people who post insane shit on this website lol

ari

Banned
I meant to say both, I mean we already know the deal with phones. Swear to me.
OK, I just don't think a judge will even remotely grant such a warrant anyways. Its fucking silly.

Either some of you are just trolling or really need to look at it with some common sense.

bidguy

Banned
Of course they do. Now they'll have access to your living room. Even better because the camera's always there.

It's not really that hard to gain access either. I remember during Windows 98 days, they had a program and all it needed was an IP address and you could have complete control of the computer. You could see the webcam. Listen to the mic. Print out. Access the hard drive. Anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if the creator of that program has been working for the NSA and MS.

im sorry but is there a hidden power source inside the new kinect ? because im sure they dont have "access" to my living room if the power switch is off.

Afrodium

Banned
The NSA is going to know that I like double steak quesadillas, and that sometimes I get salty when I lose at KI.

I'm going to put aside some time to think about this very seriously.

Jesus Christ. It doesn't matter if YOU have nothing to hide. This is about your right to privacy and a bunch of MS apologists in here are willing to give it up to play Halo and Forza. If the police kicked in my door right now and ransacked my house they wouldn't find anything illegal, but that doesn't mean I should give them the ability to do so.

Valkyria

Banned
The fuck? Tone that shit down son.

Oh. Thanks.

That phrase does not express my beliefs, but how soviet countries were deceived by propaganda.

I live in a country were the government is moving every day more and more to totalitarianism, and I just have to look around to Greece, Turkey, Hungary, Egypt.... and star to worry about what the fuck does the state does know about all of us.

im sorry but is there a hidden power source inside the new kinect ? because im sure they dont have "access" to my living room if the power switch is off.

Xbox 1 is in standby mode when you turn it "off" so that it could update automatically while it's asleep. MS announced this long time ago.

They will have access to your living room 24/7. It's a remarkable idea by MS. I applaud them.

BigDug13

Isn't it bad enough that Kinect and possibly the NSA will have access to your living room when the power switch is turned on?

I think based off of these revelations, someone should start a campaign to get Microsoft to decouple mandatory Kinect.

How can we go about setting that up?

Marleyman

Banned
It is a perfectly valid statement. If you have a white collar job in 2013, a smartphone is a necessity. A video game console is not.

He said "who doesn't need a smartphone, do you have a job?" Plenty of jobs exist without a cell phone. I am doing one and make a good living as do many that don't need a smartphone to work.

beast786

GAF has defense force for everything.

Same people who defended DRM with all there might now somehow defending this crap. Pathetic.

jmls1121

Banned
The only difference with the console is that the Kinect can be seen as a rather obvious and blunt spy device and Microsoft's apparent public willingness to comply with the NSA beyond simple metadata.

You said it much better than I did. Its a huge camera peripheral with an eye staring at you in the face. And you talk to the thing. This is much different than data mining going on behind the scenes that common people wouldn't understand.

bidguy

Banned
Xbox 1 is in standby mode when you turn it "off" so that it could update automatically while it's asleep. MS announced this long time ago.

unplug the cable or get one of these
mSU7r2MzlEGcuQDG6O_RaJg.jpg

Isn't it bad enough that Kinect and possibly the NSA will have access to your living room when the power switch is turned on?

yeah im sure its as simple as that
they (nsa) still need a warrant.

F0NZ

So this means that there may be video of me (ashamed to admit I bought into the Kinect idea this gen) scratching my nutsack whilst playing halo4? Enjoy NSA.

Top Bottom