• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS + NSA reveal. Wil this affect the Kinect?

bidguy

Banned
I can remove my cell phone camera, put tape on it... ETC.

Can I do that with the Xbox One?

Rumor is that if you do the Xbox One won't function until the camera can recognize something. Black tape doesn't count.

stop spreading bs
please give me a link to that rumor

jimi_dini

Correct me if I am wrong, but when they say they are allowing the NSA to collect Skype Video, it can't be ALL the video right?

Wouldn't that take up more space than they ever could potentially have space for? The amount of memory would get out of hand incredibly quick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/...nd-spy-agency-bound-by-strengthening-web.html

The sums the N.S.A. spends in Silicon Valley are classified, as is the agency’s total budget, which independent analysts say is $8 billion to $10 billion a year.

Bsigg12

Outline of room... lol Of all things to send...

What else is the Kinect going to analyze? The way I look? Go to Facebook and you'll see I don't give a fuck and post pictures all the time.

Do you think it's going to be on all the time listening to key phrases or words like Bomb or America said in succession reporting to the NSA? Legally, unless the NSA has reason to believe that you a possible threat to the country, they can't get the warrant to review your non public data.

While we're at it, you better not be plugging in that headset to the PS4, Sony could be recording all those conversations for the NSA.

Are you guys reading this article and the related PRISM articles? This is NOT wide spread surveillance. You cannot hide widespread video surveillance. You can't it at all because a constant video stream is easily detectable.

This is surveillance at request. As in the FBI asks and they comply. This won't affect Kinect other than for people who are paranoid.

On the subject of a Kinectless sku that would be absolutely foolish. Most of the people complaining about that will not buy an Xbox anyway and if they they will not use it as there primary console.

Microsoft needs the Kinect to be mandatory or developers won't use it. Its that simple. If MS offers a Kinectless sku I will instantly cancel my preorder. They need to remain stead fast in the face of all the bad PR. And they need to start showing examples of the Kinect being used in more XB1 games.

ZeroCoin

This argument is weak. Because the NSA is spying on me with my smartphone, I am supposed to totally succumb to them and give them a live feed of my living room?

Yup, apparently things like the need to communicate with other people through voice or the internet is equal to the need for entertainment. Jesus people.

Takuya

Banned
What else is the Kinect going to analyze? The way I look? Go to Facebook and you'll see I don't give a fuck and post pictures all the time.

Do you think it's going to be on all the time listening to key phrases or words like Bomb or America said in succession reporting to the NSA? Legally, unless the NSA has reason to believe that you a possible threat to the country, they can't get the warrant to review your non public data.

While we're at it, you better not be plugging in that headset to the PS4, Sony could be recording all those conversations for the NSA.

It's always listening, otherwise you would never be able to turn it on using voice commands.

It has video + IR feed, it can analyze who's there, what they look like, their physical attributes, as well as other objects, what products you have in the vicinity, etc.

Bsigg12

It's not the same thing. A cellphone is a necessity in a huge percentage of people's lives. A video games console who's competitors are not doing the same thing, huge difference...

It is the same thing though. People are freaking out about data being collected, and it's being done on literally every internet connected device you use. Anything that can be used as means of communication fall under what the NSA is able to gain access to.

It's always listening, otherwise you would never be able to turn it on using voice commands.

It has video + IR feed, it can analyze who's there, what they look like, their physical attributes, as well as other objects, what products you have in the vicinity, etc.

It's always listening if you want it to be. You can disable it, or outright shut it down when you're not using it.

You act like they're using the Kinect as a way to single people out. If NSA was so good at getting information, the Boston Marathon stuff wouldn't happened. Also, it was Sony who filed the trademark to analyze people in the room and advertise based on that.

The NSA is going to know that I like double steak quesadillas, and that sometimes I get salty when I lose at KI.

I'm going to put aside some time to think about this very seriously.

jmls1121

Banned
Yup, apparently things like the need to communicate with other people through voice or the internet is equal to the need for entertainment. Jesus people.

Like I said upthread, this is a god damn video games console. A toy. A luxury item. There is a near replica about to hit the market (PS4) and an alternative (WiiU) that don't do this. People that think that gamers will devise a plan to evade surveillance just so they can have their XBone are crazy.

ari

Banned
Oh, okay, so they'll only use hours upon hours of surveillance videos of me in the privacy of my own home if I'm already possibly something wrong. That makes it all okay.
What are you talking about? I highly doubt kinect 2.0 will record anybody unknowingly and/or send a recording of you to the NSA. Why would they want to do this shit when they can simply record you or tap your phones?

Is it possible that they can get Sony with the PS4 camera? i know it's not mandatory.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure the NSA can get info on you regardless of you having an Xbox or not.

Xrenity

On the subject of a Kinectless sku that would be absolutely foolish. Most of the people complaining about that will not buy an Xbox anyway and if they they will not use it as there primary console.

Microsoft needs the Kinect to be mandatory or developers won't use it. Its that simple. If MS offers a Kinectless sku I will instantly cancel my preorder. They need to remain stead fast in the face of all the bad PR. And they need to start showing examples of the Kinect being used in more XB1 games.
Yeah, well, I don't think many devs will use it anyway.

And besides, MS might want to change this policy as well after all the backlash.

It's not the same thing. A cellphone is a necessity in a huge percentage of people's lives. A video games console who's competitors are not doing the same thing, not quite...
It is the same thing. A cellphone is not a necessity. We have chosen to make it one in our minds. Billions of people lived for thousands of years without them. Billions live without them today.

EvB

Is it possible that they can get Sony with the PS4 camera? i know it's not mandatory.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure the NSA can get info on you regardless of you having an Xbox or not.

They could probably just grab you in the street and shove you in a van if they wanted

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What are you talking about? I highly doubt kinect 2.0 will record anybody unknowingly and/or send a recording of you to the NSA. Why would they want to do this shit when they can simply record you or tap your phones?

Were people expecting Skype to do that?

bidguy

Banned
The truth hurts.

lmao stop making a fool out of yourself dude

Its not even an rumor im pretty sure i heard one of the key figures say it.
Where and which video i forgot :(

Also this.

i highly doubt that because they already said that you could turn it off completely. you still cant unplug it but you can turn it off so why would they stop you from putting a band aid on it that makes no sense

Sony is a Japaneses company so they have the rights to say no. Still I am not plugging in my camera during "night time".

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus fuck. This is probably the worst privacy violation I've seen.

With the Skype thing, it's pretty much undebatable that MS would've done the same with the XBox One.

The camera isn't always on. Worst case scenario if you're paranoid cover it up while you aren't using it.

Ehh, I thought that you could put it in suspension, not completely turn it off.

Do you have a source? Because if they're wording is literally "you can shut Kinect off" then it shouldn't be a problem. The thing is the wording they have is that "you can put Kinect is suspension" which pretty much means it can be turned on at any moment.

jmls1121

Banned
It is the same thing. A cellphone is not a necessity. We have chosen to make it one in our minds. Billions of people lived for thousands of years without them. Billions live without them today.

Perception is reality in the marketplace. Smartphones are necessities because the market perceives them to be. Who gives a shit if they weren't used during the middle ages?

We have a winner. NSA monitoring my data has nothing to do with my decision to not go with an XBOne. They already know lots about you. And me. And most everyone else.

Majmun

WTF is this shit.

I need my cellphone to make a living. So it is a necessity. Who doesn't use their phone for work related stuff? Do you even have a job?

I can't believe people are just brushing this off and making stupid comparisons.

Dabanton

I'm sure criminals and terrorists sit in front of their Xboxes discussing their upcoming crimes.

I'd be more paranoid about my phone,computer and laptop much more valuable information for the security services if they were intrested in what you're up too.

Takuya

Banned
i highly doubt that because they already said that you could turn it off completely. you still cant unplug it but you can turn it off so why would they stop you from putting a band aid on it that makes no sense
They've said a lot of things lately.

Does not compute. Why would they tap your phones when they could have access to your living room whenever they want?

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." -Jurassic Park

Having access to data like this is dangerous, even if they don't know what they're going to use it for yet. One word: leverage.

Of course I'm making assertions, but I'll be damned if that means I can't like the implications.

WTF is this shit.

I need my cellphone to make a living. So it is a necessity. Who doesn't use their phone for work related stuff?

I can't believe people are just brushing this off.

There is nothing to brush off. It's not the Kinect that is the problem. I highly doubt the people who are "deciding with their wallets" are actually worried about the security issues that come along with Kinect.

Synless

It is the same thing though. People are freaking out about data being collected, and it's being done on literally every internet connected device you use. Anything that can be used as means of communication fall under what the NSA is able to gain access to.
No, I'm expressing concern why a video game entertainment system should have ever got to the point where the NSA is collecting data from it. It never should have gotten that far and unlike all cellphones or landlines, which I have no other choice, I have a choice here.

Neo C.

It was a real concern before the NSA reveal. Now we just have the confirmation, so the people who belittle our concern can shut the f*** up.

nesboy43

Banned
You guys do realize that after doing the first set up, you just have to verify the system online once, then can disconnect it from the internet which means no one can be watching or listening to you play Call of Duty if you are that paranoid. Like the government is wasting their time getting videos of gamers playing Xbox. Unless you are a potential threat to national security this shouldn't worry you anyways.

WTF is this shit.

I need my cellphone to make a living. So it is a necessity. Who doesn't use their phone for work related stuff? Do you even have a job?

I can't believe people are just brushing this off and making stupid comparisons.

Still a choice.

Ok, I think some of us are getting a bit confused with what is going on here. It seems apparent the Government "forced" Microsoft to give up information in Skype Video Calls, Emails, and SkyDrive Files. Maybe Microsoft did fight it, but finally gave in under government pressure. You cannot fault Microsoft IF they truly were under legal pressure to do so, especially from the NSA and United States Governement.

However, I think the problem is with Microsoft providing another avenue or tool, with Kinect "always on" in our living room, for the Government to once again gather data from people. I think that is really what most of the outrage is based on.

We are not as upset that Microsoft has included Kinect with the XboxOne, as we are that Microsoft included it with the XboxOne knowing what the NSA was doing. Especially if they could use court orders and legal pressures. Microsoft really cannot guarantee you that your data will not be collected, they cannot assure you that your living room is not being monitored, because if the NSA and US Government could force Microsoft to give up the data I mentioned from other places (Skype, Outlook, & SkyDrive), they could just as easily force Microsoft to give up data that is collected or recorded with Kinect.

Now, there is the argument that cell phones and computers are doing all this already. Traffic and Street cameras are monitoring our every move. However, most of us do not have cameras in our living rooms or man caves that the NSA could have access to. With the XboxOne and Kinect, all of the sudden millions of people will have a camera in their living room, that could be used to collect data, whether Microsoft doesn't want it to be used for that or not. I am sure Microsoft didn't intend or plan for information and data from our Emails, Video Calls and Online Files to be collected and used by the NSA, but the NSA did it anyways. Just as they could do it with Kinect, whether Microsoft intended to or not.

If Microsoft couldn't stop the NSA from monitoring and collecting data through their other services, how are they going to stop them from monitoring and collecting data through the mandatory Kinect?

crozier

X1 is the last place I expect the NSA to go snooping. Nobody, not even terrorists, should be even remotely concerned about using Kinect IMO.

EDIT: Is there a source stating that Kinect is even gathering information while idle? What sort of information, worst case, could it even conceivably track? Recording audio? Video?

Considering the fact that MS gave their Windows back door access to NSA, don't be surprised and get pissed off when you find out that NSA has videos and audios of your living room.

Because it's a no brainer for MS and NSA.

ari

Banned
Sony is a Japaneses company so they have the rights to say no. Still I am not plugging in my camera during "night time".
I'm pretty sure if the NSA wanted to be ass backwards and tap your gaming console of choice...which doesnt make sense btw. Sony will comply.

Top Bottom