• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS + NSA reveal. Wil this affect the Kinect?

But by that argument, people should have way more than one target for outrage. Photo recognition software, facial recognition, voice recognition, etc. etc. in all its forms. This stuff is used in so many forms nowadays. And counting. Why single out this one completely optional one? You have every option to not put a Kinect in your home.
The Kinect is *all* of those at once, working together in unison with internet access, and placed at all times in the perfect position to best capture you and your family at recreation.

Nothing else is even close.

jmls1121

Banned
GAF has defense force for everything.

Same people who defended DRM with all there might now somehow defending this crap. Pathetic.

Its truly frightening. I would like to think they are just a bunch of young fanboys with GAF accounts, but I'm not so sure.

BigDug13

unplug the cable or get one of these
mSU7r2MzlEGcuQDG6O_RaJg.jpg

yeah im sure its as simple as that
they (nsa) still need a warrant.

Since when?

Link? Are they even data mining the current 360, live and kinect? If so/not, why?

I doubt they are, but by reading the article, they were able to get data from Outlook, Skype, and SkyDrive by simply applying legal pressure on Microsoft, which made them oblige.

Which makes you wonder, if the NSA wanted data from your Kinect, they would get it, easy as that. If Microsoft cannot stop them from collecting data from our Emails, Online Files and Video Calls, they will not be able to stop them from getting information from Kinect.

alterno69

Banned
Lol, like i've been saying, no way i'm supporting MS next gen, i hope they Xbox One fails miserably. If the Xbox One succeds and gains more market share than Sony + Nintendo you can bet your asses MS will eventually go back to their DRM bulshit policies and who know what else in the future.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I doubt they are, but by reading the article, they were able to get data from Outlook, Skype, and SkyDrive by simply applying legal pressure on Microsoft, which made them oblige.

Which makes you wonder, if the NSA wanted data from your Kinect, they would get it, easy as that. If Microsoft cannot stop them from collecting data from our Emails, Online Files and Video Calls, they will not be able to stop them from getting information from Kinect.

Indeed, but with this same logic they could do the same to Sony and get your voice chat pretty easily. They could turn your Vita camera on too. It's an interesting road when you start looking at this stuff.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

Yeah, solid post.

WolvenOne

Well, there's one more reason for me to dislike Skype. Seriously, this would send me over the edge and towards Linux, if more companies made Linux ported games available.

Maybe that'll happen if Valve releases a Linux Steambox.

Shady859

Lil kid: I'm gonna kill your mom and rape her skull then kil you negro blah blah blah.

*Knock knock knock*

Lil kid: hold on pizza and chocolate milk is here!

*Cops take him to jail for terroristic threats.*

Lobby lol

Seriously though I am soooo against Kinect but yea as a Xbox guy for so long it's hard for me to maintain my PS4 hype. I've decided to wait and see till 2014 before jumping next generation... I will point my Kinect towards the wall and disable the internal mic.

BigDug13

Indeed, but with this same logic they could do the same to Sony and get your voice chat pretty easily. They could turn your Vita camera on too. It's an interesting road when you start looking at this stuff.

Yeah, solid post.

Really? Because last I checked, Sony was not on the list of companies that had signed agreements to provide data to the NSA. Sony is not an American company after all. They don't get the same government pressure.

Could it happen? Yes, absolutely if Sony agrees to it or if they do it another way like packet mining through your ISP. But not directly from Sony. At least not now.

Hari Seldon

The US Government is MS's biggest fucking customer. And MS was the first fucking company on board with Prism. They buy out skype and immediately hand over the keys to the NSA. Fuck, I bet the NSA pressured MS to buy Skype just for this.

Fuck the kinect and fuck MS.

bidguy

Banned
NSA does not need a warrant to collect data from your computers. Please read the facts before you even speak about them.

what facts ?

this is straight from that article

ms :
"we provide customer data only in response to legal processes."

or this ?

nsa :

"The articles describe court-ordered surveillance"

charsace

lol at people being worried about the xbox alone. Anything that people use to connect to another person the government has access to it. Your playstation, your gameboy, your phone, everything. You would be a fool to think governments would pass up the chance to gain access to millions of their citizens.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Really? Because last I checked, Sony was not on the list of companies that had signed agreements to provide data to the NSA. Sony is not an American company after all. They don't get the same government pressure.

(I'm asking because I don't know) Can they not be pressured based on the fact that they do business in the US pretty heavily? What's stopping the US government from shutting them down here (or applying legal action) if they don't comply?

BigDug13

what facts ?

ms :

or this ?

nsa :

Oh so words from the two people caught in the act are what we go with. Not sure how you can trust those words. Like that head of the NSA that sat in front of congress months ago to emphatically say they are not monitoring data. Yep, trustworthy words from trustworthy sources.

ari

Banned
The US Government is MS's biggest fucking customer. And MS was the first fucking company on board with Prism. They buy out skype and immediately hand over the keys to the NSA. Fuck, I bet the NSA pressured MS to buy Skype just for this.

Fuck the kinect and fuck MS.
Skype and the NSA was in bed together way before MS bought them. Please don't spread bullshit.

watership

what facts ?

ms :

or this ?

nsa :

Please get your logic and reason out of this thread. Don't you know it's Microsoft-season?

charsace

(I'm asking because I don't know) Can they not be pressured based on the fact that they do business in the US pretty heavily? What's stopping the US government from shutting them down here (or applying legal action) if they don't comply?

Nothing is to stop any government from keeping a company from doing business if they don't play ball. If the government wants to fuck you they will find a way. If companies weren't willing to play ball with any government then that government would most likely control the network connections in their country.

Hari Seldon

what facts ?

ms :

or this ?

nsa :

Read the entire article. First off, the small shred of court protection, the microscopic shred of some unknown analyst having 51% confidence that you are not an american citizen, then this secret court that cannot be challenged will then allow them to spy on you.

If you are a Euro, all bets are off. NSA probably has a list of hot Euro chicks to jack off to on their skype chats.

what facts ?

ms :

or this ?

nsa :

You can't be this naive.

Go buy Xbox One and be happy with it. No one's stopping you. I'm just baffled by how idiotic people can be at times.

It looks like Microsoft has been handing over our private information to the USG on a silver platter. I'm not sure why anyone would think that Kinect is safe.

what facts ?

ms :

or this ?

nsa :

I understand their requirements for providing customer data to authorities, but what about collecting and storing that data in the first place? And what oversight exists over those "legal processes"?

Paches

Please get your logic and reason out of this thread. Don't you know it's Microsoft-season?

It is funny you think it is logical that a corporation and a government entity would tell the truth after being caught red handed searching through piles of personal info from their own citizens.

Hale-XF11

I feel that Americans are largely submissive, so I doubt this will affect MS in any negative way.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt that'll happen.

BigDug13

Nothing is to stop any government from keeping a company from doing business if they don't play ball. If the government wants to fuck you they will find a way. If companies weren't willing to play ball with any government then that government would most likely control the network connections in their country.

US does not want to play those kinds of games with Japanese companies and Japan. "Yeah, remember that nuclear powered carrier you muscled into our port even though we didnt want it? Well you can go ahead and get that out of here, oh and take your other ships with you."

eival

what facts ?

ms :

or this ?

nsa :

copy paste PR responses used by large corporations and government with every incident involving wire-tapping

seems like a lot of wasted ressources just to spy on gamers dont you think ?

Yes yes it is but I think Prism is a waste of resources personally

Have yet to see convincing evidence that they've really stopped as many terrorist plots as they suggest they have

Whole idea of freedoms really gone downhill since 9/11

GAF has defense force for everything.

Same people who defended DRM with all there might now somehow defending this crap. Pathetic.

Not sure what there is to defend on Microsoft's part. The federal government asks you to do something... you usually do it. They are kind of powerful like that. My beef is with the United States. Does this hurt Microsoft? I would say yes somewhat, but mostly in the eyes of console warriors.

charsace

Read the entire article. First off, the small shred of court protection, the microscopic shred of some unknown analyst having 51% confidence that you are not an american citizen, then this secret court that cannot be challenged will then allow them to spy on you.

If you are a Euro, all bets are off. NSA probably has a list of hot Euro chicks to jack off to on their skype chats.

Man, I doubt its just the NSA that is doing this. Europeans would have to be naive to think this isn't happening over there.
US does not want to play those kinds of games with Japanese companies and Japan. "Yeah, remember that nuclear powered carrier you muscled into our port even though we didnt want it? Well you can go ahead and get that out of here, oh and take your other ships with you."
Believe that if you want to. There isn't a company that can do business in a first world country that doesn't have to deal with government. Especially when that company does things that the government thinks would benefit them. Japanese companies wouldn't get their smart devices out in the US or other countries if they weren't willing to play ball.

Joeki11a

Banned
This entire snowden stuff surprise me
Because he makes it seem like they gather
So much info every hour,weeks,months,years....

If they know everything wouldnt that mean
They can and should stop any criminal act
Before it happens?. Stop all drug dealers,cartel war on drugs and all that?

They hear and see everything right?,
Shouldnt that be used for good and stop crimes?

Dueck

Banned
I just wish the American government would stop trying to put a spin on all of this stuff and just admit its ultimate goals. Terrorism is a very real threat, but it's also a convenient scapegoat for other things, like using the Kinect to spy on people... I'm not personally bothered by the whole thing, but I agree that it isn't right.

ari

Banned
Yes yes it is but I think Prism is a waste of resources personally

Have yet to see convincing evidence that they've really stopped as many terrorist plots as they suggest they have

Whole idea of freedoms really gone downhill since 9/11
I have absolutely no evidence to about what I'm about to say. But I do believe that the FBI, NSA, CIA, and local state/federal authorities have fouled plenty of 9/11 type attacks or smaller. PLENTY.

So much into every hour,weeks,months,years....

That's a big data problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_data

I assure you NSA/Pentagon etc. (Even private companies) are looking at better ways to handle big data

Sometimes there is anonymity granted in these scenarios by the sheer amount of data masking individuals

Still crap though

statham

We have clear principles which guide the response across our entire company to government demands for customer information for both law enforcement and national security issues ... To be clear, Microsoft does not provide any government with blanket or direct access to SkyDrive, Outlook.com, Skype or any Microsoft product ... There are aspects of this debate that we wish we were able to discuss more freely. That's why we've argued for additional transparency that would help everyone understand and debate these important issues.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/11/4...o-calls-from-microsofts-servers-says-guardian

So much info every hour,weeks,months,years....

They only see and hear what they are actively looking for. Do you realize how expensive it would be to have people actively surveyed 24/7 in order to stop crimes?

BigDug13

Man, I doubt its just the NSA that is doing this. Europeans would have to be naive to think this isn't happening over there.

Believe that if you want to. There isn't a company that can do business in a first world country that doesn't have to deal with government. Especially when that company does things that the government thinks would benefit them. Japanese companies wouldn't get their smart devices out in the US or other countries if they weren't willing to play ball.

Do you really think they're going to blockade the US borders from getting Japanese devices sold? You really think this is such a huge government conspiracy involving all 3 branches of government that has such reach that it would intentionally destroy international commerce if those companies don't play ball? The US government has issues, but what you think they're doing seems to be far fetched. I guess you're deflecting MS blame by trying to say the government heavily strong armed MS into compliance and they had no choice and deflecting saying Sony is doing the same thing, but it seems far fetched.

If the Japanese government agrees to it. Sure.

As far as shutting them down. They won't. One Eye isn't mandatory. Two other countries would be in an uproar if a non-US product was forced to spy on them in the US.

They only see and hear what they are actively looking for. Do you realize how expensive it would be to have people actively surveyed 24/7 in order to stop crimes?
OR they collect masses of data all the time (which seems to be the way it works for other Prism taps), and only need a rubber-stamped court order to run certain queries (if that) or to retrieve data from those collections associated with particular accounts.

Top Bottom