• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neill Blomkamp's Chappie (2015, Hugh Jackman, Sharlto Copley, Die Antwoord)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
I told ya'll Chappie ain't shit. Saw a viewing last Summer, and even though the film was incomplete at the time, it was obvious that the film simply was not good. Blomkamp's a decent enough director, but the dude should NEVER be allowed near the script writing process again. Until I see a movie directed by him and entirely written by someone else, I'll be 100% confident that the film is going to be mediocre.

Fret

Damn. 20% on RottenTomatoes with well over three reviews. This movie must be a real disaster.

Yeah it's not too reliable right now, but with the embargo and overall tone of the reviews, I doubt it'll go up any higher than 40% when more reviews come in

jtb

Banned
Too bad. I doubt the rest are going to be much better. If the reviews were positive, the studio would be plastering them everywhere, not burying them the day before release.

Damn. 20% on RottenTomatoes with well over three reviews. This movie must be a real disaster.

there's a reason there's only five reviews up and it's because the studio clearly has little confidence in the film

Too bad. I doubt the rest are going to be much better. If the reviews were positive, the studio would be plastering them everywhere, not burying them the day before release.

there's a reason there's only five reviews up and it's because the studio clearly has little confidence in the film

technically you could say the same thing about video game embargo

but yeah i doubt this hits over 50%

daveo42

Banned
Still going to see this tomorrow evening, though some of the comments in here make me feel like that might be a bad idea now...

Deadbeat

Banned
Consider this post bookmarked. :p
You believe that Blomkamp's movie will have worse writing than what Damon Lindelof pumps out?

Elysium was a better film than Prometheus. Elysium.

edit: Prometheus is at 73% on RT. No point betting against you because you will probably use RT or some other barometer to show you are "right".

Timbuktu

So... Ex Machina or even that Marvel blockbuster would be the better movies about AI in robots this year?

Blomkamp was never going to be sci fi's savior, David Bowie's kid was always the more likely candidate.

Dead

well not really...yet
So... Ex Machina or even that Marvel blockbuster would be the better movies about AI in robots this year?

Blomkamp was never going to be sci fi's savior, David Bowie's kid was always the more likely candidate.
Bowie's kid made one decent at best flick, one shitty one, and is now slumming it with a video game adaptation.

At least people championing Neil Blompkamp had something to go on with D9 (visual language and style). Duncan Jones was always baffling. Dudes a nothing.

Deadbeat

Banned
This is just not true.
How can you know whether it will be better than Prometheus? If anything, going by just the concept art, it seems to be nothing short of a betrayal of the original Alien.
Im not talking about art, im talking about writing. But thats not what got Prometheus a high RT rating. I want a film that isnt a stupid as Prometheus. He can beat that unless he gets a lobotomy from now until the release of that film.

way more

Why is robot speaking broken pidgeon English?

It is blatantly STUPID.

If there was self-consciousnes AI - ONE thing it could do PERFECTLY from the first second, it would be speaking and language comprehension.

I like the aesthetics and camera, it has Antword, and it is all cool, but having main character speaking like he is some poor slave from 19th century that is working on the cotton field or serving tea in Mumbai hotel is stupid.

Siri can speak better English than Chapi.

This error has the potential to out-Lucy the movie Lucy.

Blizzard

Banned
You believe that Blomkamp's movie will have worse writing than what Damon Lindelof pumps out?

edit: Prometheus is at 73% on RT. No point betting against you because you will probably use RT or some other barometer to show you are "right".
Just curious, why is mentioning 73% for Promethus bad? It's 73% all critics, 69% top critics, 69% audience, 7/10 average on IMDB, and metascore 65/100 on IMDB.

That's a mix of different sites, critics, and audiences for theater and non-theater, and yet all the averages still in the 65-75 range.

jtb

Banned
I don't like Prometheus at all but it's definitely a better film than Elysium, which is a complete train wreck on every level... At least Prometheus has some half-decent ideas and is shot well.

Kuroyume

Banned
Prometheus is a good film. There's just a higher concentration of haters on GAF relative to other places. Same things for Man of Steel. MGS 4. etc.

Somehow Prometheus is the worst movie of all time becuase of less than a handful of stupid scenes. People forgetting it's an action/forror sci-fi monster film not some Oscar caliber thing.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Is Prometheus perfect? No. But is it that bad. No.

I didn't even realize it ranged in the 70% range review wise, if you listened to GAF you'd think it was on the same level as that trash Alien 3 and Resurrection. It's actually closer in quality to Alien and Aliens. (I hadn't seen any of the Alien films until seeing Prometheus in the theater so I'm not wearing nostalgia glasses here)

Prometheus is WAAAY better than Elysium. Prometheus has a great cast (besides the two idiot "scientists" ugh), great music, amazing visuals and cinematography. I'm also a fan of the
Deacon
scene @ the end.

Elysium is one of the most disappointing films I've ever seen. If Chappie turns out as bad as that, or *yikes* WORSE, then the director is 1 for 3 and the amazing District 9 was really just a fluke.

Only 5 reviews so far though...still some hope :/

:(

Let's hope the next batch of reviews are great. I'm done spending my money and more importantly my time on bad films

Ex Machina was supposed to be fantastic, so I'd say that's gonna be better.

Duncan Jones is on a similar trajectory at the moment, I think. Source Code wasn't that bad, but it was a massive disappointment. I don't really see how the Warcraft movie is going to be any good for him either.

Deadbeat

Banned
Just curious, why is mentioning 73% for Promethus bad? It's 73% all critics, 69% top critics, 69% audience, 7/10 average on IMDB, and metascore 65/100 on IMDB.

That's a mix of different sites, critics, and audiences for theater and non-theater, and yet all the averages still in the 65-75 range.
I was focusing on the fact that the film got such a high rating when it was a huge disappointment.
Truly a battle of the titans here.
Imagine a Shyamalan sci fi film.

Mobius 1

Prometheus had a dumb script. Elysium had a script that was dumb and preachy.

Probably never going to watch either of them again.

Prometheus was visually arresting; Elysium, not so much.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I think Blonkamp can deliver, if the studio doesn't meddle too much. Besides, the franchise (the films at least) can't get any worse. This will either revive it, or put it to rest for good.

RS4-

Just came back and it was better than Elysium, and better than Prometheus, except in the visual department.

Or maybe I just had high fucking hopes for Prometheus and it just turned to shit.

Imagine a Shyamalan sci fi film.

signs_ver2u9unp.jpg

mv5bmty3mzqymjkwml5bmmquef.jpg

injurai

Banned

Looks like it.

and Duncan Jones needs to do something else. This warcraft movie needs to come out already so he can move on to something else.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Prometheus is a good film. There's just a higher concentration of haters on GAF relative to other places. Same things for Man of Steel. MGS 4. etc.

Somehow Prometheus is the worst movie of all time becuase of less than a handful of stupid scenes. People forgetting it's an action/forror sci-fi monster film not some Oscar caliber thing.
I just rewatched aliens, and realized that the entire crew left a giant spaceship full of God knows what military ordinance to go to a potentially hostile planet. I mean they didn't leave a single person on board.

Qvoth

seems like it's out here in my hometown in indonesia, i'll probably check it out this weekend
i'm really hoping it's at least decent after the horrible disappointment that was elysium

I just rewatched aliens, and realized that the entire crew left a giant spaceship full of God knows what military ordinance to go to a potentially hostile planet. I mean they didn't leave a single person on board.

Fucking exactly! That part always drove me crazy. Such a huge leap of logic.

Moaradin

Prometheus at least is visually stunning and has strong direction. I can't really see the new alien film topping it in that regard.

And I'd watch Prometheus again over Elysium any day of the week.

It's typical GAF hyperbole.

Prometheus wasn't terrible, but it was terribly disappointing. People's expectations were sky high considering the talent involved and killer trailer.

Darknight

Elysium has to be one of the shitties sci fi movies ever. Nothing about it was believable even when knowing its fictional. No sense. Im gonna say its on par with that wanna be Godzilla movie. I forgot the name but its about robots and Idris Elba couldnt save it for shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom