• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Pacific Rim and The World's End were the best movie of last year.

I felt the whole relationship in Pacific Rim was really forced, still liked it though. The World's End was pretty good, better than Shaun of the Dead, but not as good as Hot Fuzz. I think my favorite movie from last year was Gravity, but I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers or American Hustle yet.

Oh in the Oscars thread? Didn't look in there. GAF gonna GAF though.

Well it seemed like people were happy it didn't win best picture in that thread (understandable). Avs' beat writer Adrian Dater and some other Denver Post folks were complaining about Gravity winning so many awards.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Pacific rim looses because of those muthafuckin scientists. Those two fucks deserve nothing, NOTHING. I never wanted the death of charchters so badly.

Pacific Rim loses because it was a bad movie.

Entertaining for sure, but nothing Oscar-worthy. Robots and Monsters don't get you visual effects awards anymore either.

Gravity on the other hand was the biggest technical achievement in movies since Avatar, and was a MUCH better movie experience than Avatar.

Pacific Rim was a ton of fun in theater. I had a big stupid grin on my face the entire time.

Much like how I was in Riddick, World War Z, and Furious 6.

I haven't seen Gravity but it doesn't seem like it will reach that level for me.

Acid08

Banned
Pacific Rim loses because it was a bad movie.

Entertaining for sure, but nothing Oscar-worthy. Robots and Monsters don't get you visual effects awards anymore either.

Gravity on the other hand was the biggest technical achievement in movies since Avatar, and was a MUCH better movie experience than Avatar.
Fuck the Oscars.

And after Children of Men my expectations for Cuaron movies is pretty sky high. Gravity was beautiful but lol if anyone thinks it's some kind of watershed moment in movies.

Smiley90

Pacific Rim was a ton of fun in theater. I had a big stupid grin on my face the entire time.

Much like how I was in Riddick, World War Z, and Furious 6.

I haven't seen Gravity but it doesn't seem like it will reach that level for me.

If you haven't seen it in the cinema you missed out. It's something really special in the cinema. I had goosebumps. It was awesome. One of the best "have to watch it in the cinema" movies I've ever seen. Alfonso Cuaron is too good.

Fuck the Oscars.

And after Children of Men my expectations for Cuaron movies is pretty sky high. Gravity was beautiful but lol if anyone thinks it's some kind of watershed moment in movies.

Children of Men is better than Gravity in terms of story/acting because it... well, tells an actual story. Gravity is more impressive as a movie work/art though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
See this is why nobody likes the Blackhawks.

All their fans fuck pizza.

Nice of Dominoes to reply to his concerns about fucking his pizza though

http://totalfratmove.com/dominoes-insists-you-shouldnt-have-sex-with-their-pizzas/

I guess I'm not as impressed with technical stuff as you, I enjoyed Avatar a lot more then Gravity. Gravity is more style then substance, the story was pedestrian at best.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
He was pretty vanilla.

Yup, no charisma for a good looking white dude.

Fuck the Oscars.

Children of Men is one of my favourite movies of all-time, doesn't change the fact that Gravity was amazing to watch, and probably an even better directing job, certainly harder to accomplish. Regardless, Cuaron is still my favourite director in the business right now.

Red_Man

Avatar had a total garbage story too.
It wasn't original that's for sure, but that didn't take away from it's entertainment value. Gravity felt like a 90 minute tech demo.

Fuck the Oscars.

Pretty much where I'm at with it, CoM is an all time great for me.

Acid08

Banned
Pacific Rim was exactly what I needed it to be. Yes, it had kind of a shitty cheesy story. No, I don't care.
Exactly. I grew up watching Godzilla movies. The first movie I can ever remember watching is the original. And yeah, was way into giant robots from an early age. Felt like that movie was specifically made for me and others like me to enjoy. It's legitimately a movie that a lot of people just won't "get."

calder

I was pretty let down by Pacific Rim. I felt the dumbness everyone else did, but I didn't get the awesome, and I was kinda bored by the robot shit fast which sounds sacrilegious. Dredd was much superior as a dumb action SF movie.

I did really like Gravity, as a spectacle it was amazing. No idea if it should have won best picture or anything, 12 Years a Slave looks way too depressing for me to watch so I can't compare lol. In fact I saw a shockingly low number of best picture nominees this year, the Academy needs to nominate more nerd shit apparently. Or I need to see more movies.

EDIT: speaking of Pacific Rim, the trailer for Godzilla was *holy shit* amazing. I was never a huge fan of the movies or anything but that trailer was like the stuff I liked in Cloverleaf plus what I love in modern, big budget disaster movies. And Bryan Cranston to give it all some serious weight? AND Ken Watanabe to be awesome?! Day one.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I need to see Her, none of the other nominated films this year looked too interesting to me, maybe Dallas Byers Club for the performances.

Red_Man

I need to see Her, none of the other nominated films this year looked too interesting to me, maybe Dallas Byers Club for the performances.
None of them really intrigued me either, but I saw Grabity, American Hustle and Dallas Buyers Club for Matt after falling in love with him in True Detective. DBC is worth watching just for his and Leto's performances.

If you haven't seen it in the cinema you missed out. It's something really special in the cinema. I had goosebumps. It was awesome. One of the best "have to watch it in the cinema" movies I've ever seen. Alfonso Cuaron is too good.

Children of Men is better than Gravity in terms of story/acting because it...

More than the visual the audio sets it apart. You need to watch it with an amazing sound system to catch all the little details of the sounds and the sheer silence if space. Audio design is perfect.

Children of Men was also far more character driven. It ranks up there with "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" as my all time favorite films.

Smiley90

Her's soundtrack is amazingly good. More feels than Gravity.

Mhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

More than the visual the audio sets it apart. You need to watch it with an amazing sound system to catch all the little details of the sounds and the sheer silence if space. Audio design is perfect.

Children of Men was also far more character driven. It ranks up there with "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" as my all time favorite films.

That's why I'm saying you gotta see it on the big screen. My roommate disagreed that the movie was good, turns out she watched an SD stream on her laptop. No kidding it won't be good then.

Acid08

Banned
I was pretty let down by Pacific Rim. I felt the dumbness everyone else did, but I didn't get the awesome, and I was kinda bored by the robot shit fast which sounds sacrilegious. Dredd was much superior as a dumb action SF movie.

I did really like Gravity, as a spectacle it was amazing. No idea if it should have won best picture or anything, 12 Years a Slave looks way too depressing for me to watch so I can't compare lol. In fact I saw a shockingly low number of best picture nominees this year, the Academy needs to nominate more nerd shit apparently. Or I need to see more movies.

EDIT: speaking of Pacific Rim, the trailer for Godzilla was *holy shit* amazing. I was never a huge fan of the movies or anything but that trailer was like the stuff I liked in Cloverleaf plus what I love in modern, big budget disaster movies. And Bryan Cranston to give it all some serious weight? AND Ken Watanabe to be awesome?! Day one.
Dredd is great but fuck is it overrated by the small amount of people who have seen it.

Red_Man

That's why I'm saying you gotta see it on the big screen. My roommate disagreed that the movie was good, turns out she watched an SD stream on her laptop. No kidding it won't be good then.
Says a lot about a movie that the only way to appreciate it is in a theater.

Her is another one I need to see. Gravity's soundtrack was awesome, kind of reminded me of Moon, but was actually better across the board.

Smiley90

Says a lot about a movie that the only way to appreciate it is in a theater.

Not really. A comedy/plot-driven movie can be good even as a low-quality stream. Those of us here praising Gravity are mainly talking about its audiovisual/technical achievements, nobody is talking about acting/the story. I don't know why Bullock was even nominated and I'm glad it didn't win acting/best picture.

Smiley90

Dredd is like Pacific Rim. Great and entertaining for what it was supposed to be, nothing more, nothing less.

Smiley90

On a somewhat related note, I need to rewatch City of God. It's been too long.

calder

I still haven't seen The Raid so I pretty much watched it blind and had a great time.

The Raid is a life-changing action movie experience if you're a fan of crazy martial arts and guys getting shot 4 times then punched in the face then shot again. Dredd is 'just' a surprisingly effective, unheralded SF violent action movie.

On a somewhat related note, I need to rewatch City of God. It's been too long.

Very true. I have tomorrow off, I'm almost done watching The Americans season one (I let it slip when it aired on TV and waited for the bluray) so I think I'm going to have a movie day. But damn I also really, really want to rewatch Hannibal on bluray before I watch season two...

The posters for Her were plastered all over Melbourne. Joaquin Phoenix looks like Tom Selleck on them. Made it look like Desi was campaigning for Prime Minister.

FILM_Her.jpg

Top Bottom