• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Acid08

Banned
According to ~twitter~ the Sharks are inquiring about Ehrhoff. I know that Buffalo asked him to submit the list of teams he wouldn't accept a trade to. And we already brought back Hannan and Stuart so why not bring back Error?

Buffalo Bros, what do you guys think the cost would be?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Budaj in AGAIN tonight......stupid sexy Budaj

BZuQy47CUAANNhh.jpg:large

If the Habs brass could give us an update on Price's status, that would be just dandy.

:lol

According to ~twitter~ the Sharks are inquiring about Ehrhoff. I know that Buffalo asked him to submit the list of teams he wouldn't accept a trade to. And we already brought back Hannan and Stuart so why not bring back Error?

I think the Sabres would need to get an NHL-level D + picks/prospects in return.

Murray/Nolan seem to want to leave the Sabres top level D prospects (McNabb and Psysk) down in the AHL for the rest of the season to give them a chance to be top guys on a winning team instead of 3rd pair guys on the worst team in decades. They're already playing John Scott of all people on D sometimes instead of calling anyone up, so the NHL lineup can't really get much thinner.

Acid08

Banned
I think the Sabres would need to get an NHL-level D + picks/prospects in return.

Murray/Nolan seem to want to leave the Sabres top level D prospects (McNabb and Psysk) down in the AHL for the rest of the season to give them a chance to be top guys on a winning team instead of 3rd pair guys on the worst team in decades. They're already playing John Scott of all people on D sometimes instead of calling anyone up, so the NHL lineup can't really get much thinner.
Hmmm, I feel like DW could swing that. Only problem is that DW said that our first rounder is totally off limits. But on the other hand never trust GMs.

It is so nice going into a trade deadline without the flyers having a glaring need. Their D is serviceable, Mason has been really good to great, and their forward have been really good lately. I wouldnt be shocked at all to see them make some little moves, but I dont expect anything big at all.

Socreges

Banned
Sportsnet panel on Lack starting yesterday:

"He gambled and he lost."

How can you blame Lack for any of those goals?

"This is another example of Tortorella trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else."
"Totally."

Holy media insecurities

"Don't you need Luongo in the right frame of mind down the stretch?"

Luongo really should be able to handle shit like this, sorry. As much as people have taken to shitting on Canucks management, the sympathy parade needs to stop.

"Now you've completely lost Lu."

Alright I'm done

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Luongo really should be able to handle shit like this, sorry. As much as people have taken to shitting on Canucks management, the sympathy parade needs to stop
As someone who likes to call everyone else out on their fan bias towards their team and players, it's pretty funny watching you attempt to defend Gillis' handling of Lu.

Socreges

Banned
As someone who likes to call everyone else out on their fan bias towards their team and players, it's pretty funny watching you attempt to defend Gillis' handling of Lu.
The hell are you talking about? This is Tortorella, not Gillis, and I'm no fan of either. If they were both fired tomorrow, I would have zero complaints.

Address what I said or don't.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't know what to think about the Canucks. I'm just... Speechless.

Trade all the things, fire Gillis, hope we pull a Montreal and suck hugely next season for a good pick, come back in a few years.

Red_Man

The hell are you talking about? This is Tortorella, not Gillis, and I'm no fan of either. If they were both fired tomorrow, I would have zero complaints.

Address what I said or don't.
Saying the "sympathy parade needs to stop" is really undermining Lu's position, he's done everything asked of him with no complaint through the bullshit Gillis has dragged him through, and now they slap him in the face with this game. How much of this twisting in the wind is he expected to take? It's a respect issue, and it seems rather obvious Gillis doesn't have much of it for Lu.

Socreges

Banned
Saying the "sympathy parade needs to stop" is really undermining Lu's position, he's done everything asked of him with no complaint through the bullshit Gillis has dragged him through, and now they slap him in the face with this game. How much of this twisting in the wind is he expected to take? It's a respect issue, and it seems rather obvious Gillis doesn't have much of it for Lu.
I don't entirely disagree. I just don't think he should be coddled either. Teams often ride the hot hand, and that hot hand might sometimes be the backup's. The drama here stems from it being the Heritage Classic, but you've got a big segment of the media saying it should be treated like any other game because both teams are fighting for their playoff lives. To say that he should get the start because it's a meaningful game for him and you need him to be "in the right frame of mind" is not how you make decisions.

You're wrong in conflating Gillis and Torts, btw. This wasn't Gillis' decision.

Fei

Yeah I generally agree with Hades. I think Ehrhoff is pretty great, so I would expect a 1st + decent prospect in return. Especially with his contract being so affordable for the next 7 years or so.. but opinions on him vary pretty widely around here. The Sabres should be looking for a prospect that's a winger with top 6 potential. Not sure what the Sharks farm looks like, but the Sabres are pretty thin here.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Trade all the things, fire Gillis, hope we pull a Montreal and suck hugely next season for a good pick, come back in a few years.
McDavid will go to the Coyotes courtesy of our good friend Gary Bettman and you milk baggers will LIKE it.

Seriously, Gillis needs to decide rebuild or final push. I thought this should've been addressed in the off season, but what are you gonna do?

Gillis' time is up. After all the miscues, I still don't know why the owner is keeping him on.

Smiley90

McDavid will go to the Coyotes courtesy of our good friend Gary Bettman and you milk baggers will LIKE it.

Seriously, Gillis needs to decide rebuild or final push. I thought this should've been addressed in the off season, but what are you gonna do?

Gillis' time is up. After All the miscues, I still don't know why the owner is keeping him on.

Team is too bad for final push. Better trade assets for prospects/picks while they have value and minimize the time a rebuild will take.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Team is too bad for final push. Better trade assets for prospects/picks while they have value and minimize the time a rebuild will take.
:(

Yeah, some of the Canucks fans at work have more or less given up and are questioning your GM.

Kesler
Edler
Bieksa
Burrows

These guys can be moved (maybe not Burrows) and can help the team long term, but if you're going to do that you might as well get rid of Torts. He's not a rebuilding coach and I think he's a good reason for the Sedin and Burrows production problems.

Smiley90

I wonder what kind of return Hamhuis would get as one of the best defensive D's in the league and Olympian.

But I don't want to see him gone :(

iLLmAtlc

I believe Tortorella when he says he thinks he did what was best for the team, but I think it was a bit out of touch with reality. For example, maybe he should have considered whether any benefit you get from starting Lack would have been mitigated by the pressure you are putting him in?

It just makes the organization look a bit hypocritical when Gillis has tried very hard to paint this narrative that the Canucks will do what's right for their players even if it comes at a minor expense of the team (not asking them to waive NTCs). This isn't 42 yr old Brodeur getting a start over Schneider in the stadium, it's a guy who just came back from the Canadian Olympic team.

It also kinda shows the team hasn't learned from its past mistakes. Goaltending has never been the problem but they just keep making it into a story by trying to fix it. Happened in 2012, 2013, and yeah 2014 too.

Overall I just have a hard time understanding how any benefit you get from starting Lack isn't a)overridden by the pressure you are putting him in, b)the accompanying media shit storm and c)damage to you are doing to Luongo.

But yeah in all likelihood this will be a non-story by next week but it's just shitty watching the organization deliver another liver shot to Luongo.

jesus, the top comments on facebook on the canucks page on every status are brutal.

On a picture about "tradition" and them in the millionaires jerseys:

Losing is turning in to a tradition

Please trade Luongo for the sake of his pride. This organization is a joke at the moment. No respect. No tradition. No passion

My computer might stop working if I put that on my desk top.

Red_Man

Pretty sure this stint has shown that Torts is no longer an effective NHL coach. His coaching tactics just don't work in today's NHL. Every time he moves on from a team, players come out to talk shit about him.

To say that he should get the start because it's a meaningful game for him and you need him to be "in the right frame of mind" is not how you make decisions.

You're wrong in conflating Gillis and Torts, btw. This wasn't Gillis' decision.
Lu hasn't been that bad down the stretch though was he? I thought his numbers were a product of how bad the team was in front of him, and coming off of the Olympics, it seems only fair to give your starter a chance. I disagree on Torts & Gillis, you don't think they didn't talk about which goalie was going to start? Gillis should have straight up told Torts to start Lu. It wasn't fair to Lu or Lack who was getting jeered during the game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Twins in the next few years. All depends on how fast Vancouver can retool.

I don't think Gillis is going to start meddling in the day-to-day decisions of the team. Tortorella was given long contract and it would be completely insane to provide him with that security only to start micro-managing.

Not to mention that Tortorella does not seem like the kind of guy who'd put up with that.

Curufinwe

Briere's point totals are impressive given his lack of ice time. Is there any chance he might ask for a trade to somewhere where he could play in the top 6? If not now, then in the offseason.

Socreges

Banned
I believe Tortorella when he says he thinks he did what was best for the team, but I think it was a bit out of touch with reality. For example, maybe he should have considered whether any benefit you get from starting Lack would have been mitigated by the pressure you are putting him in?

It just makes the organization look a bit hypocritical when Gillis has tried very hard to paint this narrative that the Canucks will do what's right for their players even if it comes at a minor expense of the team (not asking them to waive NTCs). This isn't 42 yr old Brodeur getting a start over Schneider in the stadium, it's a guy who just came back from the Canadian Olympic team.

It also kinda shows the team hasn't learned from its past mistakes. Goaltending has never been the problem but they just keep making it into a story by trying to fix it. Happened in 2012, 2013, and yeah 2014 too.

Overall I just have a hard time understanding how any benefit you get from starting Lack isn't a)overridden by the pressure you are putting him in, b)the accompanying media shit storm and c)damage to you are doing to Luongo.

But yeah in all likelihood this will be a non-story by next week but it's just shitty watching the organization deliver another liver shot to Luongo.
What did Lack do wrong, though? One goal was deflected in off Bieksa, another was during a bad screen, and the third was shot a few feet away off the post.

Lu hasn't been that bad down the stretch though was he? I thought his numbers were a product of how bad the team was in front of him, and coming off of the Olympics, it seems only fair to give your starter a chance. I disagree on Torts & Gillis, you don't think they didn't talk about which goalie was going to start? Gillis should have straight up told Torts to start Lu. It wasn't fair to Lu or Lack who was getting jeered during the game.
Luongo was alright before the Olympics. The team in front of him was shit. And no, I don't think the decision was Gillis'. Tortorella isn't the kind of guy to take direction from a GM on decisions like these.

Red_Man

Briere's point totals are impressive given his lack of ice time. Is there any chance he might ask for a trade to somewhere where he could play in the top 6? If not now, then in the offseason.
He has the most 5 on 5 points per 60 mins of anyone on the Habs, and this is while playing mostly on the bottom two lines. Bergevin brought him in for the playoffs, so I think they'll hold onto him until then and see what he produces. Therrien's handling of him, like everyone else has been atrocious, he's hated him since he's gotten here.

Red_Man

McKenzie said:
I don't think Spezza is being traded, but for the right price he could be moved. I don't think that price will be met

Keep dreaming Cake Boss

-Lack gives the Canucks the best chance to win.
And Luongo doesn't? This isn't starting 1B over 1A. Luongo has the stats, experience, etc.
-Luongo hasn't played in 3 weeks. Don't put him in cold.
You know who else hadn't started in 3 weeks? Anderson, and he started yesterday. And if every game is important, then when do you put in a cold Luongo? Next two games are Phoenix and Dallas, who are right near the Canucks in the standings. Save him until Saturday's game against Calgary? Ottawa is/was 10th in a weaker Eastern conference.
-It's just another game.
No, it really isn't. Bigger crowd, different environment, different lighting, etc.
-Luongo can suck it up. He's been through this before.
Yep, he can definitely handle all this. After all, he hasn't started a meaningful game since 2011. Facing elimination in the 2012 playoffs? Start Schneider. Facing elimination in 2013? Start Schneider coming off an injury. Olympics?

Sure, Lack didn't play badly yesterday but you can't pretend the crowd chanting for Luongo didn't affect him. Luongo can tune it out but can Lack? He's playing in one of the biggest hockey markets in the league. And he's not "just the backup" anymore. He's a legitimate starting option to the best goalie the Canucks have ever had. That's a lot of responsibility and pressure for a rookie.

Top Bottom