• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 "stands up to the best in the genre"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nooreo said:
Best in genre? Kay

Just know GoW3 is gonna make a new Genre

the FUCKING AWESOME Genre
:lol

You can't honestly compare the hardcore gameplay of Ninja Gaiden to the casual open gameplay of God of War.

Teknoman

Draft said:
Yup, DMC4 was great but I expect NG2 will be a true evolution with no annoying backtracking and no God awful jumping puzzles.

Hell yeah. If its one thing I didnt like, it was the backtracking. Currently running around as Dante now, and my Time/ SSS ass kicking score got messed up in the jungle area because I got lost. Why would someone make it possible to get lost in a stylish action game?

Now puzzles and finding items to place in machines, etc., works just fine for me.

Alex

Mr. Durden said:

You can't honestly compare the hardcore gameplay of Ninja Gaiden to the casual open gameplay of God of War.

They should put that on the box, in my opinion.,"Ninja Gaiden 2 is significantly more XTREME and HARDKORE than the competition". Put that shit in bold, with a picture of a surly fat kid crossing his arms.

Alex said:
They should put that on the box, in my opinion.,"Ninja Gaiden 2 is significantly more XTREME and HARDKORE than the competition". Put that shit in bold, with a picture of a surly fat kid crossing his arms.
No. The difficulty was a big part of why Ninja Gaiden didn't sell as well as God of War. It's a far, far, far better game, but it's too hardcore for some.

Alex

Green Shinobi said:
No. The difficulty was a big part of why Ninja Gaiden didn't sell as well as God of War. It's a far, far, far better game, but it's too hardcore for some.

I really didn't have too many problems with Ninja Gaiden Black, but I still liked God of War better, even if it's not as deep.

Both are still a hell of a lot better than DMC though, to me.

Also; yes.

Vish

Banned
Based on one play through GOW is the best game, that was evident to me at first.

But as I spent more and more time with NG/DMC, I began to realize some stuff.

McDragon said:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73012

slightly updated list.

edit: the weapon achievements are retarded.
Yeah, I don't like the idea of only using one weapon for the entire game.
Nooreo said:
Best in genre? Kay

Just know GoW3 is gonna make a new Genre

the FUCKING AWESOME Genre
Vish said:
Based on one play through GOW is the best game, that was evident to me at first.

But as I spent more and more time with NG/DMC, I began to realize some stuff.

FFChris

a Master Ninja said:
Yeah, I don't like the idea of only using one weapon for the entire game.

Hopefully the game will keep a track of your weapon use through single chapters, so you don't have to go through the entire game on a single save with just one weapon. I'm not counting on it though.

Pre-ordered this yesterday. Can't wait.

I'm actually looking forward to the idea of using only a single weapon throughout the game. Mainly I'm curious to see if the weapons are balanced enough that they can be used for the entirety of the game with no real issues.

FFChris

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm actually looking forward to the idea of using only a single weapon throughout the game. Mainly I'm curious to see if the weapons are balanced enough that they can be used for the entirety of the game with no real issues.

I hope so.

As I've said before, the only weapon I could use in the original was the Dragon Sword, everything else just didn't seem very useful.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I saw the newest list of Achievements this morning as well, and if anything, it proves that they are confident that you can rely on any single weapon in the game - with the original, all I really needed was the Dragon Sword, and the Dabilahro for crowd control, and I was set... all of the other weapons I used when I wanted to mess around or just have fun...

Besides, I'm gonna be beating the game multiple times anyways, especially to see how far I get on those weapon leaderboards

McDragon said:
24ybd6a.gif

11jot46.gif

vspec :D

Someone posted a (crappy quality) YouTube clip with the rest of those vids that came from the Japanese official homepage - just make sure to keep the volume low since this guy just had to put some rock music in there...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g9pwLYKk70U

Watching those vids made it harder to believe that the game is coming in a little over a week... the king is about to return...

Ended up ordering it from Game.co.uk since no other site seemed to have the pre-order DLC costume, and while I'll be probably getting it a day or two later, it'll be 15 Euros cheaper than the regular price - and this includes shipping and a DLC costume pack for free... hell yeah...

Brannon

So awesome those videos are.

You know, I was thinking that maybe a remake of the first 3 Ninja Gaidens are in order. Make them 2.5D, with as many of the moves from the current-gen Ninja Gaidens as possible. A blending of two worlds; it would be...

So awesome.

Brannon said:
So awesome those videos are.

You know, I was thinking that maybe a remake of the first 3 Ninja Gaidens are in order. Make them 2.5D, with as many of the moves from the current-gen Ninja Gaidens as possible. A blending of two worlds; it would be...

So awesome.
I would definitely pay for that.

Btw, nice tag. :lol

S1kkZ said:
when can we expect the first reviews from the us sites (ign, 1up, gametrailers) ?
I believe the embargo is supposed to end Monday, but personally I don't put much stock in mainstream reviews for ceratin genres. I'm sure NGII will fair pretty well, though.

FFChris

a Master Ninja said:
I believe the embargo is supposed to end Monday, but personally I don't put much stock in mainstream reviews for ceratin genres. I'm sure NGII will fair pretty well, though.

I'm betting it will get scores around what DMC4 got. Hopefully it will be less disappointing though.

Mrbob

I just ordered the game through amazon, good deal.

59.99, free shipping, no tax, plus you can get a 10 dollar amazon.com gift card for preordering.

Also, there is a bundle with the strategy guide for 70.58 which I took advantage of, still get the gift card.

If you don't want to wait, you can sign up for a free trial month of amazon prime as well for free two day shipping. Cancel in the first month if you don't want to keep it I checked it out and it is easy to do.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
a Master Ninja said:
I don't care for reviews, I know what to expect. That said I hope I do better at NG2 than NG:B, I've only just been able to play the game properly without resorting to the weaksauce mode, over a year after I bought the game.

Yes, I suck :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yeah baby!

ng2mn.jpg

Enjoying the game so far a lot. There is a very funny surprise at the beginning of lvl 2, made me laugh out loud :)

Brannon

Yeah I'm thinking the demo needs to come out right the fuck now. Memorial Day weekend and all that jazz, c'mon Microsoft, DO IT. This torture must stop.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Skilotonn said:
Damn you Blim, damn...

If only I could be seeing that screen now...
Indeed, *Curses Blim*

Anyway, just pre-ordered the game fro a local retailer, no, I don't expect it to be sold out, but I get more back than I put in by putting down a £5 deposit, June 6th cannot come fast enough.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Skilotonn said:
Damn you Blim, damn...

If only I could be seeing that screen now...
If that can make you feel any better, the DVD drive of my debug 360 is dying (again) and I get loooooooong pauses in between scenes from time to time instead of seemless loading.
Takes a lot out of the enjoyment when it's in the middle of a fight and you get a 15 seconds pause 10 times in a raw while you move around...

MCD

Blimblim said:
Yeah baby!

ng2mn.jpg

Enjoying the game so far a lot. There is a very funny surprise at the beginning of lvl 2, made me laugh out loud :)
sickening.

Blimblim said:
If that can make you feel any better, the DVD drive of my debug 360 is dying (again) and I get loooooooong pauses in between scenes from time to time instead of seemless loading.
Takes a lot out of the enjoyment when it's in the middle of a fight and you get a 15 seconds pause 10 times in a raw while you move around...
i take that back.

FFChris

Blimblim said:

Ahh the pleasures of 360 hardware. :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
decided to get rid of a bunch of demos/videos and just download NG Black instead of finding a disc.

I feel giddy, I'm about to play NG for the first time.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
FFChris said:
Ahh the pleasures of 360 hardware. :D
Well in terms of drives I'd say I've seen about as much issues with the 360 than the PS3. Debugs are more fragile because they have to run off burned DVDs. Not that it's an excuse, since between RRODs and dead drives my next debug will be my 5th one.

Draft

Blimblim said:
That sucks, man.

Are you allowed to give any impressions at all or are you NDA bound till later?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Draft said:
That sucks, man.

Are you allowed to give any impressions at all or are you NDA bound till later?
NDA. Embargo is either tomorrow or on thursday, got these 2 different dates from MS...

soldat7

Blimblim said:
Yeah baby!

ng2mn.jpg

How's the camera? Pretty much like the NG Black?

Draft

I really like the new Chapter Completed screen too.

Nerd question: how do the Japanese characters behind your rank appear on the board? Do they fade in like in the old game, or do they get "written" as the rank comes up or something similar?

BTW where's your Karma score?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom