• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point of winning? (Honestly don't know.)

I wrote a 500 page novel years ago and the feeling you get when completing a project that large is amazing. Nanowrimo books typically don't get that large but I'd imagine the sense of accomplishment is no less rewarding.

You get to have your name in red for the next thread.

Plus Cyan gives you a cool "you won" gif.

Who decides who wins? Or is it just getting to 50k?

Just write 50k, easy as that. Besides the sense of accomplishment you also win a few vouchers and such. I'd strongly recommend taking whatever you wrote and using a createspace voucher to get a printed copy. It doesn't matter how bad is is, having something that you have finished on your shelf is a pretty big thing.

I made it around 14.1% of the way last year.

I hope to improve my performance by at least a percent or two this time around.
Just write 50k, easy as that. Besides the sense of accomplishment you also win a few vouchers and such. I'd strongly recommend taking whatever you wrote and using a createspace voucher to get a printed copy. It doesn't matter how bad is is, having something that you have finished on your shelf is a pretty big thing.
That's...actually pretty cool. That might even be the motivation I'll need to finish.

Gazoinks

Aw yes NaNo thread. This'll be my fifth year doing it, and hopefully my fifth year winning! :D Put me down, my NaNo account is here: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/gazoinks

Writing software recommendation: I personally really like FocusWriter. It's another minimal word processor, but it has more features than most, they're just kept out of the way. It also has the ability to set themes with background pictures and such, which can be nice for getting into the mood of your story.

Gah. I can't do it this year and I really want too. I have two semester long projects that come to a head in mid november so this ain't gonna work out :(

Cyan

Banned
Who decides who wins? Or is it just getting to 50k?

It's just getting to 50k. That's the only goal here, but trust me, it's enough on its own. ;)

Besides what others have said, there are a number of reasons to try to win: to take a crack at a big goal, and actually complete it. To know the satisfaction of having created something substantial, of having fought back your own doubts and apathy far enough to let yourself just write regardless of the quality. To participate in the communal craziness and eventual communal joy.

And of course, because it's there.

Pau

I had outlines ahead of time for each of the 6 shorts with varying amounts of detail. Some were only a few sentences, others had enough work put into them that they had character sheets. In one case I had compressed an entire story into a 4 paragraph summery, pasted each paragraph into Scrivener and then re-wrote it til it became about 8,000 words long.

It was really fun, allowed me to experiment with different approaches for each short and kept my momentum rolling faster than I think I've ever written. Different stuff works for different people so your mileage may vary but it worked for me.
Sounds like it'd be a good idea to try out. And it's always interesting to see people's pre-writing process. I think that's why I'd lurk these threads towards the beginning.

Anyways folks, if you want to add me as a writing buddy and shame me into keeping up my word count, feel free. :)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The vouchers are a really great reward, I managed to get myself Scrivener for cheap thanks to it as well as giving out codes to fellow GAFers who needed the higher discount from "winning" the year previous and a Camp NaNo.

By far though the CreateSpace offer is the greatest thing. It requires a lot of extra work to get the book manufactured but the sense of accomplishment is really something else entirely. After taking some time out to format it and have a friend work out the cover for me, by June I had myself a genuine physical copy of something I'd written. The book quality isn't the greatest, but it's print on demand so I can't hate.

977880_10151652367264669_1935217166_o.jpg

Helps me a lot to see my personal copy sitting on my desk some days. Somewhat motivating to have it there, and hope that one day I'll have written something good enough for mass production and not just a friends & family affair.

I'm bad at this.

This year I think I might just start writing with no thought given beforehand and see what happens. Couldn't be any worse than previous efforts.

Gazoinks

The vouchers are a really great reward, I managed to get myself Scrivener for cheap thanks to it as well as giving out codes to fellow GAFers who needed the higher discount from "winning" the year previous and a Camp NaNo.

By far though the CreateSpace offer is the greatest thing. It requires a lot of extra work to get the book manufactured but the sense of accomplishment is really something else entirely. After taking some time out to format it and have a friend work out the cover for me, by June I had myself a genuine physical copy of something I'd written. The book quality isn't the greatest, but it's print on demand so I can't hate.

Helps me a lot to see my personal copy sitting on my desk some days. Somewhat motivating to have it there, and hope that one day I'll have written something good enough for mass production and not just a friends & family affair.

I really need to actually use on of those CreateSpace vouchers one of these days. I'm one of those people who's always "I'll edit it and then CreateSpace it" but then I inevitably forget. I think this year I'll probably just go for it with minimal editing, if any. My writing has been improving every year too, so this year it'll be more worth having in a book, right? :)

Any good ipad writing apps? Plan to write a lot on my ipad with a Bluetooth keyboard, so I need something that syncs with Dropbox. Right now I use PlainText since it syncs and has a word count feature. Will prob stick with it unless there is something better.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Like an Olympic athlete, I am returning after four years to participate yet again.

Unlike an Olympic athlete, I have done literally no planning or training in the intervening years.

In the midst of another novel that I need to finish by December. Not sure I can participate in this, but very interested, especially in the tools like Scrivener.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's just getting to 50k. That's the only goal here, but trust me, it's enough on its own. ;)

Besides what others have said, there are a number of reasons to try to win: to take a crack at a big goal, and actually complete it. To know the satisfaction of having created something substantial, of having fought back your own doubts and apathy far enough to let yourself just write regardless of the quality. To participate in the communal craziness and eventual communal joy.

And of course, because it's there.

That's what I thought, I was just confused by all the talk of "winning" and "winners." So people who don't finish are losers? :p

Yeah it is pretty huge.

Not only do you get something for yourself, but for those hard to buy for relatives at Christmas time? A copy of a novel you wrote yourself is a great gift.

Draconian

I'm trying this. I looked up a writing prompt last night and started writing for practice. I don't know if I'm going to finish, but I'm going to give it a shot. I made a simple outline for what I want to do.

Gazoinks

So I decided to look back at one of my old NaNos:

"“I see,” Jacob said somethingly."

"“Alright,” Jacob said and sat back down tentavely. (too many ADJECTIVES)"

"“Use your Righteous Blazing Sitck, of course” (Oh geez, that sounds like a euphemism.)"

"He grinned at them with his immaculate teeth. (why does everyone in this novel have such good teeth?) "

"The inside of the Oval Office was like an evil version of how you’d picture what the Oval Office looks lik. (Note to self: Look up what the oval office looks like.)"

This is your mind on NaNo.

Incidentally, I based this entire novel around a fake ad I made for a class:
I ran out of plot partway through so I had the devil possess the president. Good times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've tried this like five times back in the early 00's and every time I simply just gave up because I couldn't keep writing. It sucked. It's not like it's a hard thing to do it's just writing the 1,667 words a day gets hard when you have an initial plot and scenes in your head but can't really connect them.

Useful tools:
Software:
Scrivener: a word processor that incorporates scene and character notes, outlines, research documents, and more. Get a free trial through December for NaNo. (And a discount on the full version if you win!)

That looks kinda cool. But I dunno if I'd pay for something like that when you can get OpenOffice and like a Stickynote app for a similar effect.

And honestly, I kinda wish NaNo focused less on "novels" and more "any type of story/just finish it!" writing. Graphic Novel/Drama writing can be just as "seat of the pants" as writing a novel, I feel.

Pau

And honestly, I kinda wish NaNo focused less on "novels" and more "any type of story/just finish it!" writing. Graphic Novel/Drama writing can be just as "seat of the pants" as writing a novel, I feel.
There's a script writing month in... April? I think it is.

Gazoinks

I've tried this like five times back in the early 00's and every time I simply just gave up because I couldn't keep writing. It sucked. It's not like it's a hard thing to do it's just writing the 1,667 words a day gets hard when you have an initial plot and scenes in your head but can't really connect them.

That looks kinda cool. But I dunno if I'd pay for something like that when you can get OpenOffice and like a Stickynote app for a similar effect.

They actually had Script Frenzy in April which was basically the same thing but for anything scripted, but it was shut down last year because not enough people were doing it. :|

Pau

They actually had Script Frenzy in April which was basically the same thing but for anything scripted, but it was shut down last year because not enough people were doing it. :|
Oh, I didn't know it was shut down. :( That's a bummer.

Scrivener generally have a trial that runs for the nano period. So you can download it and use it and if you "win" you get a 50% off voucher. It is a pretty decent program.

As for graphic novels and such, check out the camp NanoWriMo events during the year. They are more focused on "set your own goal" and could be what you are after (http://campnanowrimo.org/about April and July)

Gazoinks

Oh, I didn't know it was shut down. :( That's a bummer.

Yeah, they'd apparently been operating at a loss for a while on it. You could probably find people willing to do a sort of informal version of it on the NaNo forums, though. There's actually a lot of derivatives of it if you look around.

bengraven

Going to be interesting since I'm employed this year, but that might be to my benefit. I'm gone from home 9am to 8pm and during that time I have at least two-three hours where I can write legit and without a kid distracting me.

But now it's time for that fun game: Which Novel Will You Write? Last year was my YA cryptozoology book and it failed within three pages. The year before was a great fantasy western novel that I'm currently reworking into a gothic western. And the year before that I only made it to the halfway point with a Way Too Much Like GRRM Epic Fantasy.

I might try the YA thing again this year.

Gazoinks

Going to be interesting since I'm employed this year, but that might be to my benefit. I'm gone from home 9am to 8pm and during that time I have at least two-three hours where I can write legit and without a kid distracting me.

But now it's time for that fun game: Which Novel Will You Write? Last year was my YA cryptozoology book and it failed within three pages. The year before was a great fantasy western novel that I'm currently reworking into a gothic western. And the year before that I only made it to the halfway point with a Way Too Much Like GRRM Epic Fantasy.

I might try the YA thing again this year.

Last year I totally knew exactly what I was going to do and then on the last day of October I changed to something completely different. This year I'm following up on that original plan. xD

wrowa

Got around the 50% mark in 2010 and never had the time to give it another go in the following years. This time it will change for certain, though, I want to be able to say that I finished this shit at least once.

Holy shit, it's already the 14th.... this month is going so fast!

I'm totes in. Got halfway without any planning whatsoever last year, hopefully I can finish this year :)

Cyan

Banned
You don't have to pay for it to use it for NaNo. But seriously, it's an awesome program. I used it for my NaNo last year and liked it so much I was more than happy to pay for it afterwards. I know it seems redundant, but it's really useful to have everything concentrated in one place, right at your fingertips.

bengraven

Last year I totally new exactly what I was going to do and then on the last day of October I changed to something completely different. This year I'm following up on that original plan. xD

The first year I "won" I just thought "what do I want to see right now?" and my answer was "I want to see a Wild West posse rounding up a stranger, lynching him, and his vengeful spirit unleased a twister of fire upon them" and that's pretty much the start of my 51k.

This year I might go free style. Since I've turned 30 my brain needs to write, so it's been flooding me with different ideas. Too many ideas and I need to shut the fuck up and write one.

Omikaru

The last two years life stuff has come up that's prevented me from taking part, but I've told everyone to piss off for November because I'm doing this, and no one is going to stop me this time.

Put me down on the list. Again. This year I am seriously hoping for a repeat of 2010's effort, where I actually hit 50k. :D

Good luck NaNo pals. Here's to the joy of writing!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It's pretty great for consolidating as much info into one app/workspace as possible. I love having split screen view, being able to process detailed outlines with images in line and then having that right next to me while I write. I also used to work exclusively through fullscreen text editors like OmmWriter, Writemonkey and Q10, which Scrivener also has but it's fully integrated with everything else so I can hit a single button and swap between an isolated place to pound out as much as I can away from distraction and going back to my outlines and research topics without needing to have more than one program open.

I also really love the snapshot feature. I can hit a button and have a saved copy of a passage which I can then re-write freely and be able to compare to its original version to see how much more I like it or dislike it.

It's not something that will fit everyone's writing style for sure so I can't blame you for not quite seeing it being worth it for you. I did the trial last summer and instantly fell in love, now I write everything in it before pushing to Word, Wordpress, etc.

Heya Cyan, your "last year" link in the OP is linking to 2010, btw.

Oh yeah, and after gently needling a friend of mine who is an AMAZING writer and unbelievably motivated, I got her to sign up for NaNo tooooo~ I'm so excited! I bet she finishes in the first two weeks.

I shit you not

She is a machine

I envy her

Gazoinks

It's pretty great for consolidating as much info into one app/workspace as possible. I love having split screen view, being able to process detailed outlines with images in line and then having that right next to me while I write. I also used to work exclusively through fullscreen text editors like OmmWriter, Writemonkey and Q10, which Scrivener also has but it's fully integrated with everything else so I can hit a single button and swap between an isolated place to pound out as much as I can away from distraction and going back to my outlines and research topics without needing to have more than one program open.

It's not something that will fit everyone's writing style for sure so I can't blame you for not quite seeing it being worth it for you. I did the trial last summer and instantly fell in love, now I write everything in it before pushing to Word, Wordpress, etc.

Scrivener doesn't really suit my writing style because I'm the type who likes to write from a loose structure and then edit it down, but it really is a great program for those who like organizing their writing.

Gazoinks

Oh, so who wants to share their novel concepts? Moi:

Songs From The Wasteland (originally titled After The Fire, but I think this works better):

This is a little different than usual, and an idea I had kicking around for a while now. Basically it's going to be a series of post-apocalyptic short stories that aren't all part of a linear plot, but take place consecutively. So there'll be character crossover, stuff that happened in one will be mentioned in another, etc. Sort of a post-apoc version of 2001 Nights in structure.

Need to do some actual prewriting for this one and figure out what the individual stories will be, although i have a general idea.

Ceebs

FINE I'll participate again you monster.

In protest I shall be writing the most cliche YA novel possible.

It shall be about a high school girl aged sixteen to seventeen who has never known her father. Mysterious and sinister things begin to happen around her starting on her birthday. It is at this time that her father returns to her life to inform her that she will be taking her birthright as the daughter of Death. Wrestling with the weight of her newly upturned life, she makes a grave mistake and must confront the powers of the underworld to set things right, but at what cost.

I have no ideas for a name though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom