• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Romulus

I will try No Man's Sky first, as I've already bought it and I know how it looks and performs. Then I will really to want to try Skyrim because it's like a point of reference. I want to compare the feelings between monitor and VR. and when I feel comfortable with VR I want to play Half-life Alyx, as a whole experience.

NMS for your first-time VR experience. That's fucking crazy. Prepare to be amazed. I would normally tell people to build up a tolerance because motion sickness and you're literally looking at life-sized objects in front of you and your brain tells you it's literally there. Imagine starting in space and looking down at the planet with a life scale. Hard to describe it, but it blew my mind.

Last edited:
NMS for your first-time VR experience. That's fucking crazy. Prepare to be amazed. I would normally tell people to build up a tolerance because motion sickness and you're literally looking at life-sized objects in front of you and your brain tells you it's literally there. Imagine starting in space and looking down at the planet with a life scale. Hard to describe it, but it blew my mind.
that's absolutely true. it took me some time to work up to an open world because of the motion sickness i had when first using Quest, but i think my brain has built a tolerance to it. it's odd the way it happened but my motion sensitivity is mostly gone now.

TriSuit666

Banned
Absolutely spot on - even looking at the zoomed out Earth in GoogleEarth VR gets the wow factor.

I can only tolerate something like Squadrons for 20 minutes before feeling sick.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
I will try No Man's Sky first, as I've already bought it and I know how it looks and performs. Then I will really to want to try Skyrim because it's like a point of reference. I want to compare the feelings between monitor and VR. and when I feel comfortable with VR I want to play Half-life Alyx, as a whole experience.
I'd say swap that around, you'll have a better experience with Alyx and setting movement to teleport, if you're intent on going in both feet first.

Buggy Loop

Absolutely spot on - even looking at the zoomed out Earth in GoogleEarth VR gets the wow factor.

I can only tolerate something like Squadrons for 20 minutes before feeling sick.

Space engine in VR is a strong recommendation on my end. It’s almost spiritual

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

Moochi

And remember to turn using your body, not the right stick. Thus completely eliminated motion sickness for me. If you can't do it standing, a stool with wheels is ideal.

I love NMS, but I wouldn't recommend something like it for a VRgin.

get the following free Quest demos: First Steps, Bogo, Superhot, Space Pirate Trainer. All of these are great intros to VR with exactly zero nausea because you're never walking in-game in them.

be prepared for nausea in others, play very short sessions until you can endure more...

Kev Kev

I will try No Man's Sky first... Then I will really to want to try Skyrim ...
1H4G.gif

lol for real tho, try something with little to no movement for your first vr experience. a full blown first person experience is just waaaay too intense for your first time. i was like a kid on christmas waiting for mine as well, and i love the feeling of "motion sickness" because its basically like being on a rollercoaster for me. and even now with hundreds of hours in VR, i can still give myself that feeling if i jump in a starship and crank it, doing loopy loops and barrel in rolls, in no mans sky.

however, i remember playing a game with little to no movement for my first vr experience and it was really intense. i was really glad i didnt jump right into skyrim (which is what i wanted to do). after hours of getting used to the game with little movement, i finally moved on to a game where your moving a little more, then i tried something else, and then eventually skyrim. even after all that, it STILL took me a couple hours to get used to moving around in skyrim. had i tried it right away it would have been way too much.

whatever you decide, come back and let us know. VR has been the best thing to happen in gaming since... ever? it has so much potential and is so much fun, but dont rush it. that motion sickness stuff feels fun in your tummy (lol) but it can be very intense and unpleasant if you over do it. its the reason why so many people have tried VR one time and complained it made them sick and they cant do it. the truth is they probably jumped into an FPS right away and it was way too much. you gotta earn your vr legs first.

good luck!

Buggy Loop

So I built a new PC with all new components except GPU (duh), but still, I had set aside Half Life Alyx because sometimes the performances were bad. The CPU from 1600 to 5600X seems to have stabilized almost all of it now, even though I’m still on a 1060 6GB.

On top of that, I play wirelessly now with 5GHz, PC plugged via Ethernet. Experience is fantastic.

What an amazing game

mxbison

Another thing is depth perception. Your mind can perceive distances within inches, which is literally impossible on a flat-screen. It's not like 3DTV or any of that bullshit, you're literally THERE in terms of the way it feels.

I think this is what many people who haven't tried VR don't understand.

They look at Youtube videos of the games and think it's just a screen strapped to your head and motion controls.

TriSuit666

Banned
Another thing is depth perception. Your mind can perceive distances within inches, which is literally impossible on a flat-screen. It's not like 3DTV or any of that bullshit, you're literally THERE in terms of the way it feels.
Yeah, absolutely. Watching a YouTube video of the Spectator View is a completely different experience to the VR view.

Even something ‘simple‘ like Beat Saber, where a lot of the time videos have the perspective off to the side with the player in the middle.

I don't agree with many of the above posts about a full vr experience causing sickness first time or being too intense.

I jumped right in with half life Alyx, Borderlands 2 etc and comfort settings off and felt totally fine.

It's because I wasn't expecting to be sick and I wasn't. The above posts are just going to talk you into feeling sick.

Just play whatever you want first and don't over think it

TriSuit666

Banned
I don't agree with many of the above posts about a full vr experience causing sickness first time or being too intense.

I jumped right in with half life Alyx, Borderlands 2 etc and comfort settings off and felt totally fine.

It's because I wasn't expecting to be sick and I wasn't. The above posts are just going to talk you into feeling sick.

Just play whatever you want first and don't over think it
That's cool - glad you had no ill effects.

There are also people who's eyes can't process 3D, so for them any kind of VR experience doesn't work.

What I'm saying is, you're right, everyone's experience is different.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My first non-stationary VR games were Drunkn Bar Fights and QuestZDOOM, and I experienced moderate-to-severe motion sickness after about 20min. The first time I threw up in the front yard and felt dizzy for hours. I was doing good in DOOM, then I went on an elevator platform that dropped 15ft in the game and it felt like my soul came out of my body. I've built up tolerance now, but it definitely varies by person and takes time.

That's cool - glad you had no ill effects.

There are also people who's eyes can't process 3D, so for them any kind of VR experience doesn't work.

What I'm saying is, you're right, everyone's experience is different.
Exactly, which is why it irritates me that people state definitively that you will get motion sickness. The truth is that you MAY experience some amount of discomfort and that might be very minor, or it might be more than that, or none at all.

To state that this guy HAS to start with little baby vr steps is just not true. I honestly believe that the more he's expecting it due to reading about it on here, the more likely he is to get it. For example, I forgot it was supposed to be a thing, didn't think about my stomach at all and was fine.

People on here blow it up into this huge deal, like it's going into space and experiencing 6g or something. It's not. Chances are you'll be fine playing whatever.

1H4G.gif

lol for real tho, try something with little to no movement for your first vr experience. a full blown first person experience is just waaaay too intense for your first time. i was like a kid on christmas waiting for mine as well, and i love the feeling of "motion sickness" because its basically like being on a rollercoaster for me. and even now with hundreds of hours in VR, i can still give myself that feeling if i jump in a starship and crank it, doing loopy loops and barrel in rolls, in no mans sky.

however, i remember playing a game with little to no movement for my first vr experience and it was really intense. i was really glad i didnt jump right into skyrim (which is what i wanted to do). after hours of getting used to the game with little movement, i finally moved on to a game where your moving a little more, then i tried something else, and then eventually skyrim. even after all that, it STILL took me a couple hours to get used to moving around in skyrim. had i tried it right away it would have been way too much.

whatever you decide, come back and let us know. VR has been the best thing to happen in gaming since... ever? it has so much potential and is so much fun, but dont rush it. that motion sickness stuff feels fun in your tummy (lol) but it can be very intense and unpleasant if you over do it. its the reason why so many people have tried VR one time and complained it made them sick and they cant do it. the truth is they probably jumped into an FPS right away and it was way too much. you gotta earn your vr legs first.

good luck!
Ha-ha completelly forgot about expected motion sickness. Will try SuperhotVR and Gorn. Looks like a lot of fun. Don't know about Beat Saber because Im a drummer and practically do the same thing everyday lol.
Thanks for help!

TriSuit666

Banned
Exactly, which is why it irritates me that people state definitively that you will get motion sickness. The truth is that you MAY experience some amount of discomfort and that might be very minor, or it might be more than that, or none at all.

To state that this guy HAS to start with little baby vr steps is just not true. I honestly believe that the more he's expecting it due to reading about it on here, the more likely he is to get it. For example, I forgot it was supposed to be a thing, didn't think about my stomach at all and was fine.

People on here blow it up into this huge deal, like it's going into space and experiencing 6g or something. It's not. Chances are you'll be fine playing whatever.

It shouldn't irritate you, really - but my even cursory glance around before getting the Quest, is more often than not new users are experiencing some sort of reaction when they start out.

The other side of starting out with 'baby steps' is definintely a thing of just jumping straight into Alyx often sets the bar too high for what comes next. Not every experience is going to be as seismic as what Valve has produced.

I've had my Quest for over a month, and I'm still struggling with experiences which have smooth movement, played VTOL VR couple of days ago and ended up giving myself a rough headache, but that may have been me constanstly crashing into the side of mountains more than anything, lol.

Kev Kev

Sounds like you were lucky, that’s awesome! But most people experience some kind of motion sickness or intense “acceleration” effect (I love the feeling! But it was way more intense than I expected). I think the reason we are warning him so much is because we hear so many people hate on VR for motion sickness, when the truth is that most people just need to ease into it, and we are annoyed by people who say VR is shit because of motion sickness.

I love the feeling of “motion sickness”, and fully expected to not have a problem with it. And people in this thread warned me to not jump straight into Skyrim (and I almost ignored them). But ho man I’m glad that didn’t because it was way more intense than I expected it to be, with or without comfort settings.

At any rate, the poster can do whatever he or she wants. By all means, offer them your opinion/recommendation, they can decide to do with it whatever they want. We’re all just trying to be helpful, there’s no need to get annoyed or upset by people just trying to help. I’m sure the poster will be ok whatever they decide to do.

you MAY experience some amount of discomfort and that might be very minor, or it might be more than that, or none at all.

To state that this guy HAS to start with little baby vr steps is just not true

it's possible that new people will be lucky enough like you to feel nothing, but experience shows most do feel something. I never had a strong enough reaction in my first month, but games like RIGS got to my stomach almost to the point of barfing - and I was not believing such BS... one of my very first demos, Battlezone, I also had to go slow to get my bearings.

anyway, I think a great first impression is better than a lousy and sick one, so I don't see any trouble suggesting people begin with the likes of Superhot, Moss, Pistol Whip or Space Pirate Trainer that are great games by themselves besides being great intros to VR involving zero sickness to anyone.

first impression matters in such a niche market.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Yeah, absolutely. Watching a YouTube video of the Spectator View is a completely different experience to the VR view.

Even something ‘simple‘ like Beat Saber, where a lot of the time videos have the perspective off to the side with the player in the middle.

That said the initial feeling of immersion does level off a bit. I felt more present in the beginning until my brain was like "ok this is fake".

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That said the initial feeling of immersion does level off a bit. I felt more present in the beginning until my brain was like "ok this is fake".
It’s funny. I experience the opposite. The longer I’m in games like Half Life Alyx the more real it becomes. I start to lean on walls that aren’t there etc...

SHIV4

I have oculus More than three years ago.
Still working good but one sensor is not working anymore
So I buy new one just to play one game..
I think is the best vr game by far (and I played a lot of vr games)
the game is Eleven Table Tennis
as you can see it's a Table tennis game
With a real physics of the ball.
It's an online game
It's going to be hard at first, but when you're improve your skills
Oh boy It's going to be so addictive and fun.
You'll find a lot of players online.
Check it

Buggy Loop

Am I the only one totally flabbergasted by Half Life Alyx’s shaders in VR? I have no idea how it looks in 2D to be honest as I kept myself from spoilers, but the depth perception makes them really convincing, like probably one of the best visual effects I’ve seen because it’s so convincing. Dirty windows, the metallic pieces on your gloves, the guns, the dust particles floating. I’ve never seen anything as impressive as this.

I have not seen anything like it either in my other VR experiences, so far.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Am I the only one totally flabbergasted by Half Life Alyx’s shaders in VR? I have no idea how it looks in 2D to be honest as I kept myself from spoilers, but the depth perception makes them really convincing, like probably one of the best visual effects I’ve seen because it’s so convincing. Dirty windows, the metallic pieces on your gloves, the guns, the dust particles floating. I’ve never seen anything as impressive as this.

check beer bottles or wine bottles

ebd09ce02b4b9b7c3d59eb442ee6afe22f20d291.gif

check

Last edited:
I have oculus More than three years ago.
Still working good but one sensor is not working anymore
So I buy new one just to play one game..
I think is the best vr game by far (and I played a lot of vr games)
the game is Eleven Table Tennis
as you can see it's a Table tennis game
With a real physics of the ball.
It's an online game
It's going to be hard at first, but when you're improve your skills
Oh boy It's going to be so addictive and fun.
You'll find a lot of players online.
Check it
This is the closest I've come in VR to feeling like I'm playing a real life sport. It's so realistic, it's crazy. The bat and ball physics are spot on. I've stopped playing it for some reason though.

Racket NX is also fantastic, but more futuristic and gamey.

Dirty windows, the metallic pieces on your gloves, the guns, the dust particles floating. I’ve never seen anything as impressive as this.

you won't see such AAA shine in most VR indies, that's for sure

but I'd say metallic shine and light reflection in polished surfaces is overall very perceptibly more realistic in VR games than flat because they're dual reflections - just like irl, you see each reflection slightly from a different angle for each eye.

It's something I perceived immediately in Skyrim metallic armor or even on hair, or water puddles...

TriSuit666

Banned

Brickwork. It's the brickwork that got me in Alyx.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Alyx is leaps and bounds the best and most immersive VR experience to date. When we can get that kind of fidelity on a wireless system, VR will properly explode into the mainstream.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
For those who use their Quest headsets for PCVR, Humble Bundle is doing a "Spring into VR" bundle. The beat the average tier is almost $15($14.67 right now), so you may as well buy the whole thing. I'll probably do it at some point this week.

Humble Spring Into VR Bundle

You get Steam Versions of:
-Detached
-Star Trek Bridge
-Surgeon Simulator ER
-Swords of Gurrah
-Espire 1
-Job Simulator
-Sairento
-Borderlands 2 VR

Not bad little haul even if I prefer to buy Quest games that can run on the hardware natively.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Whats the VR game where you do up a house like your a painter or something, tempted to pick up a Quest 2 or wait for a 3

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
just got the quest 2. Having a lot of fun wondering what games to get and what storefront. Ill read the op just excited! Def buying the better strap
Beat Saber of course!

If you have a PC and some time I recommend getting SideQuest setup. From there you can get QuestZDOOM, Cybercade, and all sorts of other cool free games. I used the Cas and Chary(Youtubers) tutorial to get it sideloaded.

They also have App Lab for Oculus that lets you access many of the same games in a quasi-official early access manner. On a mobile device that has the Oculus App installed, just use your browser to go to "applab.games" and it will give you the link to App Lab game in the Oculus App and let you "install to headset" since they don't seem to have an official category for them. From there use category filter on your Quest 2 to browse to "Not Installed" and install it. No sideloading necessary.

If you have a decent PC and Game Pass PC or Ultimate, then you can play Flight Simulator 2020, No Man's Land, Star Wars Squadrons, and Tetris Effect VR versions as well.

Guys my Quest 2 has finally arrived and I have terrible news... Help!
Something just very very wrong and I'm not sure what it is.
It looks like Im not only seeing black edges but it feels like I'm seeing through the window. IPD on 3 is most natural for 3D effect but I don't know what can be so hard to just wear this thing correctly.
Again it looks like it has to be much closer to eyes but I just can't wear it comfortable for eyes. Help!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Guys my Quest 2 has finally arrived and I have terrible news... Help!
Something just very very wrong and I'm not sure what it is.
It looks like Im not only seeing black edges but it feels like I'm seeing through the window. IPD on 3 is most natural for 3D effect but I don't know what can be so hard to just wear this thing correctly.
Again it looks like it has to be much closer to eyes but I just can't wear it comfortable for eyes. Help!
What do you mean ”seeing through a window”?

TriSuit666

Banned
Its like watching through binoculars. Very narrow field of view. Black bars on the sides. I also see light leackage from bottom. Dissapointed.
Ahh, sounds like the headset isn't properly mounted on your head - have you adjusted the strap at all?

Also, a fix may be to install the glasses spacer as it gives a little extra distance.

The narrow FOV is a problem with the Quest 2 anyway.

Its like watching through binoculars. Very narrow field of view. Black bars on the sides. I also see light leackage from bottom.
I use IPD 3 too and never saw those black bars some complained about - you guys are gonna get those lens all smeared with your eyeballs so close.

FOV is decent, but not great. Perhaps like through binoculars, but I like to think I'm using old-school aviator goggles...

of course, FOV compared to what? TV gaming has awfully more narrow FOV with screen in front of you occupying very little of your visual space...

I use IPD 3 too and never saw those black bars some complained about - you guys are gonna get those lens all smeared with your eyeballs so close.

FOV is decent, but not great. Perhaps like through binoculars, but I like to think I'm using old-school aviator goggles...

of course, FOV compared to what? TV gaming has awfully more narrow FOV with screen in front of you occupying very little of your visual space...
To be clear if FOV is near you see image like zoomed in.
I bothered with black borders around the image, not so much with FOV. Tried to place glasses extender - about the same if not worse. Tried to remove faceplace just to examine maybe lenses needs to be closer - no. Maybe it's just me, with IPD around 67 who sees those borders easily.
To simulate how it looks to me just move headset away from your eyes. Also this effect seems to make "halo's" worse.

Last edited:

Fredrik

zd03qCa.jpg

Just got my Quest 2 today, and I’m simply blown away!

Played Moss and unless something really awesome comes out or it becomes bad later on it’ll be my GOTY. I’m in love. It’s really amazing.

Got wireless VR working with vrdesktop from PC too. Played some No Man Sky, I’ve played this game in nearly 500 hours but it felt like a completely new game now. Took awhile until I understood the controls and realized you could move around freely, the preset option was teleportation. Grabbing the throttle and flight stick to fly the spaceship got me laughing uncontrollably from being so amazed lol, it’s sooo cool!

Surprised to see so little latency when playing wireless, there were some stutter though but I guess it can be the game, NMS has never run perfectly.

Just watching the desktop and some movie if you change the surrounding VR theme to hometheater was awesome.

Only downsides I’ve noticed so far is:
1. Battery life. Played maybe 2.5 hours. Empty battery.
2. Ouch! This thing is not comfortable to wear any longer play sessions.
3. If you wear glasses inside the VR glasses you’re risking to scratch both the VR lenses and your glasses. The distanser isn’t big enough.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Ouch! This thing is not comfortable to wear any longer play sessions.
yeah that rubber band thing is terrible and crushed my head. ordered a 3d printed adapter for the vive deluxe audio strap to build a frankenquest. also added a powerbank to the back with some velcros.
the foam thing also feels terrible on the face. got one of these rubberthings that you put over it. now when you put it on it feels like a diving mask at first :messenger_grinning_squinting:

This thing is not comfortable to wear any longer play sessions.

it does get slightly better from wear... but then, I've never ventured beyond the 2 hours afforded by the battery...

anyway, much good stuff for you to discover still, like Bigscreen, VR movies, Rec Room etc...

welcome to the family

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Oculus Quest Store 25% off w/ promocode "mobile25"

seems to only work in the mobile app
Thanks again for the heads up. I used this yesterday to get Eleven Table Tennis for $15. Great fucking game you really have a sense of depth with ball that you don't get with some of the offerings on Wii.

A little gameplay on Medium difficulty...

Last edited:

Romulus

zd03qCa.jpg

Just got my Quest 2 today, and I’m simply blown away!

Played Moss and unless something really awesome comes out or it becomes bad later on it’ll be my GOTY. I’m in love. It’s really amazing.

Got wireless VR working with vrdesktop from PC too. Played some No Man Sky, I’ve played this game in nearly 500 hours but it felt like a completely new game now. Took awhile until I understood the controls and realized you could move around freely, the preset option was teleportation. Grabbing the throttle and flight stick to fly the spaceship got me laughing uncontrollably from being so amazed lol, it’s sooo cool!

Surprised to see so little latency when playing wireless, there were some stutter though but I guess it can be the game, NMS has never run perfectly.

Just watching the desktop and some movie if you change the surrounding VR theme to hometheater was awesome.

Only downsides I’ve noticed so far is:
1. Battery life. Played maybe 2.5 hours. Empty battery.
2. Ouch! This thing is not comfortable to wear any longer play sessions.
3. If you wear glasses inside the VR glasses you’re risking to scratch both the VR lenses and your glasses. The distanser isn’t big enough.

Nice. Just think how many people are missing out because they watched youtube vids of VR and have no idea how different it actually is in practice.

Top Bottom