• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talas said:
Wasn't there a report about how he had his own office and was present in all of his wife's meetings?

I'm pretty sure the commissioner said in an interview that he showed up at the governor's mansion for what he thought was a meeting with Sarah Palin and instead ended up in a private meeting with Todd.

Maybe he was confused when they told him he had to meet the governor?

Fox318

Fox318 said:
I agree. NOTHING is going to come out of this unless they actually do something. Palin won't leave the ticket under any circumstances. All this will do is make those who watch news like her less.

Ayers hits people because hate is something everyone can do.
I just realized how it could be news. If obama connects her firing to people lossing their jobs today then this story would be HUGE.

typhonsentra said:
I just feel so happy. How could they possibly recover from this kind of charge? She broke the law, it's on the record. Anything past this is gravy.

The best thing is that its on the record now. It's a legit story for Obama people to bring up whenever Mccain people start slinging their mud. It's going to be the news cycle story for today and tomorrow most likely. It's probably going to be a slight drag on Palin for moderates and independents where she was dragging already.

Overall a nice little win for Obama although not a major win. But you take your wins where you can get them and everyday Mccain doesn't have a great day is a win for Obama.

Haunted

Just when I thought Palin's unvafourability numbers couldn't be any higher... this report comes out. :p

Good fucking job vetting this candidate, republicans. *facepalm*

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

the MSM is going to continue to ignore this and focus on the fact that Obama was on a charity board with a 60s radical?

I think the Alaska GOPers saw that this McCain/Palin ticket was sunk anyway, so they decided to steal the mantel of 'reformer' from her and take it for themselves! :lol :lol :lol

Scorpions in a bottle.

JayDubya

Banned
adamsappel said:
I am interested in who meets your criteria (and why).

I did the 5 best / 5 worst dance on GAF before. I was pretty exhaustive on my rationales as well. I wish I could find those old posts.

The ones I most admire / approve of are Washington, Jefferson, Madison. That's easy enough for me to say, definitively.

Beyond that it kind of becomes "people who didn't muck up things too much," then "people who did several things I fundamentally disagree with but did some things of merit" then it just becomes people that mostly suck followed by people that did nothing of merit and fundamentally suck on every single issue and principle they had.

Monroe was alright. My least favorite early presidents were Adams and his son.

I could keep going on, if I had to, and I have on numerous occasions, but I can't seem to find the old posts in question.

I suppose the President I find least odious in the 20th Century would be Eisenhower, but I'm not a big fan.

This is truly branching into "make a different thread" territory, though.

Neither a President Obama nor a President McCain would make that list, and both are quite likely to be low-middle / bottom tier.

Aside from opposition to the Iraq War, Obama has terrible principles and issue stances.

McCain's more correct on the majority of the issues, but he has few personal principles, he contradicts his issue stances and stated principles, and he supports the Iraq War, which also falls under what I just said. Fiscal conservatism does not jive with dumping trillions of money into protecting some other country; free market capitalism does not jive with bailing out companies that make bad business decisions.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Stoney Mason said:
The best thing is that its on the record now. It's a legit story for Obama people to bring up whenever Mccain people start slinging their mud. It's going to be the news cycle story for today and tomorrow. It's probably going to be a slight drag on Palin for moderates and independents where she as dragging already.

Overall a nice little win for the Obama although not a major win. But you take your wins where you can get them and everyday Mccain doesn't have a great day is a win for Obama.
Eventually, all of those little wins start piling up.

In basketball, you might got on a 10-0 run to take an insurmountable lead, but having several 4-0 runs also wins you the game big.

Shit just keeps piling on, and on, and on. Plus, this report shatters the "reformer" bullshit, but I doubt they will stop proclaiming to be reformers.

teruterubozu said:
Yeah I know, that's why sadly it ain't going to amount to shit.

I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking. I think many of us are still stuck in the 2000-2004 era, where it seemed the forces of evil foiled our every attempt to right wrongs. Look at the polls - people aren't quite drinking the hate-flavored Koolaid anymore. Obama's gonna win this one, folks, and shit like this will only add to his lead.

Fox318

Mermandala said:
massive + trainwreck = MAVERICK! MAVERICK!
vo1ylg.jpg

2qs2b8w.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
besada said:
Everyone see the Economists for McCain article on HuffPo?

He's got former endorsers questioning who he is, a law breaking VP, is being laughed at by his own pocket economists.

Sweet, sweet, sweet.

It's just like the last time he rolled something out with a bunch of economists attached. Half of them said "We only signed on to the general theory, nothing more that was added on", which means, great, you found Supply-side economists and put their names on a plan they had no clue about!

MightyHedgehog said:
Yay. Xmas came early.
I was just going to post this. :D

I'm.. I'm giddy over here. I keep getting up from my chair to pace I'm so happy. Obama could french kiss Ayers standing on top of a burning American flag and he'd still win.

Haunted

Reading that report makes it obvious just how much Todd Palin was involved in that whole affair, and government affairs in general.

Man, Palin was such a shitty pick. Will probably go down in history as one of the worst political picks ever - Quayle 2 etc.

StoOgE said:
So,

the MSM is going to continue to ignore this and focus on the fact that Obama was on a charity board with a 60s radical?
Chicago's Citizen of the Year in 1997. Disgusting company to "pall around" with.

StoOgE said:
So,

Here is the only time you will see me slightly defend the media even though this isn't really a defense. The problem is that Republicans will everyday from here to election trot out Ayers and Wright in their talking points. So simply by the media covering them every day they will continue to point out the same stories again and again. If this was a Hillary campaign she would be all over troopergate and she would essentially do the same forcing the media to cover it. Obama tends to take the high road a lot of times on these issues and his surrogates don't press the negative talking points quite as robotically therefore these issues don't become just part of the environment. Just my casual observation. It's a flaw with the media among many.

chimpychi said:
Isn't she supposed to drop the puck at Philadelphia Flyers game tomorrow? :lol
It'd be nice if they canceled on her instead of the other way around. Also, it'd be nice to see a 'Troopergate/abuse of power' related sign at the game.

Zeliard

I just went out to buy NBA2K9, and for chuckles decided to listen to some right-wing talk radio on the way there and back, and they were attempting damage control by saying that all the Alaskan legislators are in the tank for Obama. :lol

Haunted said:
Chicago's Citizen of the Year in 1997. Disgusting company to "pall around" with.

Obviously your not familiar with Chicago politics. That award is the equivelent to being #1 on the FBI most wanted list according to the McCain camp :/

Tamanon

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Here is the only time you will me slightly defend the media even though this isn't really a defense. The problem is that Republicans will everyday from here to election trot out Ayers and Wright in their talking points. So simply by the media covering them every day they will continue to point out the same stories again and again. If this was a Hillary campaign she would be all over troopergate and she would essentially do the same forcing the media to cover it. Obama tends to take the high road a lot of times on these issues and his surrogates don't press the negative talking points quite as robotically therefore these issues don't become just part of the environment. Just my casual observation. It's a flaw with the media among many.

I think Obama won't have to do much with Troopergate personally. He's got a real big lead, doesn't need to shift into too much negativity outside of policy. If anything, he might tie it in to his old "Scooter Libby justice" riff.

I don't think you have to worry about that Stony. I feel confident Obama will deem this story fair game and will push it, or at least use it against Palin if she plans to continue being an attack dog.

Zeliard said:
I just went out to buy NBA2K9, and for chuckles decided to listen to some right-wing talk radio on the way there and back, and they were attempting damage control by saying that all the Alaskan legislators are in the tank for Obama. :lol

See Obama supporters have good taste. If you had said Live 09 I would have been upset ;)

Schlep

chimpychi said:
Isn't she supposed to drop the puck at Philadelphia Flyers game tomorrow? :lol
Like I said much earlier in the thread, the news cycle on Monday is going to consist of troopergate, punctuated by her getting boo'd at the Flyers game. I would not be surprised to see them pull out of the game tomorrow night.

Going into an arena in Philadelphia! in a state where Obama leads by double digits, she just got caught for abusing power, and the spectators aren't controlled as they would be in a McCain/Palin rally? It's political suicide and stupid.

smurfx

get some go again
Schlep said:
Like I said much earlier in the thread, the news cycle on Monday is going to consist of troopergate, punctuated by her getting boo'd at the Flyers game. I would not be surprised to see them pull out of the game tomorrow night.

Going into an arena in Philadelphia! in a state where Obama leads by double digits, she just got caught for abusing power, and the spectators aren't controlled as they would be in a McCain/Palin rally? It's political suicide and stupid.
that's why i'm hoping she does end up showing up at the game. :D

Zeliard said:

Weird, I was listening to O'Reilly's AM show today in traffic and he was kinda defending Obama from his callers. What's with the guy?

Cyan

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
I think you're doing a disservice by assuming that Palin is some focused ball of negativity and Rovian hate and not a dolled-up pawn.
Could be. But a disservice to whom? :p

X26

Banned
Price Dalton said:
Weird, I was listening to O'Reilly's AM show today in traffic and he was kinda defending Obama from his callers. What's with the guy?

maybe he figures obama is going to win and doesn't want to look as idiotic as his fox news colleagues when it happens

reilo said:
Monegan is on the phone with Maddow LIVE right NOW.

Dude, WTF? He comes across like a totally decent and honorable guy. Completely unwilling to bash Palin -- even in the slightest -- even with Maddow basically prodding him on.

Wow.

reilo

Price Dalton said:
Mandate from Murdoch: Shift O'Reilly to the middle as he sees the tide turning to Obama. An Obama presidency sells him papers. Whether you believe he will go negative on Obama if he gets elected or go positive, well, you'd just have to wait and see.

Pretty funny.

Me and JayDub are a lot alike.

Neither of us have ever had a president with our own leanings in office. We've both had a few that come close, but none ever seem to fit us completely.

Guess that's not surprising. He's a hardcore Libertarian and I'm a Marxist.

We could have an interesting show my friend. Two extremes.

I can see it now.

$$$

Nameless

Its really sinking in how utterly glorious this news is. Palin(and McCain) have tried their hardest to sabotage Obama's reputation based off his loose and benign affiliation with a guy who last broke a law when Obama was eight years old, and now its made public that Palin her self is a law breaker.

Furthermore, how can McCain ever question Obama's judgement based off his associations when he himself chose a criminal as his VEEP? No matter how much damage control they role out, this has devastated their dwindling campaign, and effectively neutralizes their final and desperate strategy of attacking Obama's character.

and someone put Elizabeth Hasslebeck in suicide watch please!

johnsmith

remember me
West Virginia is now a swing state, and a recent poll shows McCain up by only 3 points in Georgia.

He is so done. At this point the question isn't "who will win", but "by how much will Obama win."

reilo

Oh, my god, per Rodeo Clown in the NBA thread:

Not Content With Destroying the Timberwolves, McHale Seeks to Destroy the Country

Timberwolves VP Kevin McHale made a cameo appearance at the McCain rally in Lakeville today. Apparently the same judgment that led the Timberwolves to a 22-60 record last year has led McHale to support McCain. But McCain may have made a serious tactical error today, afterall, McHale’s approval rating among Minnesota sports fans is probably a hair lower than George Bush’s. I suppose McCain, who has demonstrated a penchant for erratic leadership over the last few weeks, could not resist pointing to someone who shares his leadership philosophy.

giga

Price Dalton said:
O'Reilly gained a new found respect for Obama after interviewing him. Most people do change after meeting with obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom