• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDubya

Banned
WickedAngel said:
Which isn't relevant anyways; Olbermann cited two characters that the Palin's family have purposefully associated with. Their interactions with those characters were much more involved than Obama's interactions with Ayers.

Olbermann called the AIP terrorists, though.

Do people in Great Britain regularly call the Scottish National Party terrorists?

Then again, Olbermann's not just some generic person, he's a media pundit blowhard tardfuck, but hey.

I suppose it goes without saying that you could find some media pundit blowhard tardfuck in GB that would call the SNP terrorists, but it don't make it so until they're "Guy Fawkes"-ing Parliament.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
anecdotal evidence ahoy, ... but virtually every mccain supporter i know, after i have a few beers with them, stresses to me how they "aren't republican" but independent or libertarian. the brand is just so damaged. is it damaged enough to fragment? it's looking like that, but despite all the gloom and doom on their side, they STILL control an overwhelming faction of america. and probably still will even if obama wins and dems take over 60 senate seats.
Tell them they are pussies for not voting for Babar.

electricpirate said:
Re: Pessimissim: as awesome as it feels to be on top, and how confident I am in the Obama final push, registration, and ground game. I can't help but feel worried. I mean, when McCain started his "Celebrity" add I laughed. It was flailing desperation. Then it worked (or it was incredibly lucky and a period of nothing happening favored McCain), as terrible as these recent attacks have been, I fear too that they will work to some degree.

There are things going against them though, McCain and Palin have spent a ton of credibility. Voters and the media don't take these attacks at face value anymore (I hope). These ones are telegraphed, Obama had counter adds going before they even hit the air, and he already has subject changers like the keating 5 documentary and his health coverate policies. But these attacks are also far harsher than the celebrity garbage.

Still, I'm a democrat, I'm skittish. I know Obama isn't perfect, I disagree with him on a bunch of things, but I believe he's winning right now due to fundamentally better, more honest campaigning. Really, I'm just nervous, and I will remain so until a few days before the end.

I just got paid time to make a donation, and help put this thing through.

re: celebrity - the media played along, debating it left and right, and there was no other news during the time. now, the media is calling out mccain as pure flailing, asking how bad this will hurt him, and reminding people left and right that this is their attempt at trying to distract from the economy (dow hit -800 today before a nice recovery) -- mccain telling the press this was his absolute game plan was a horrible, horrible choice. that just fed the narrative. thats why i think this is very different from the celeb thing - there are much bigger issues on peoples radar, and the press has lost its mccain shine after the weeks and weeks of blatant lying/media bashing.

JayDubya said:

Do people in Great Britain regularly call the Scottish National Party terrorists?

Then again, Olbermann's not a person, he's a media pundit blowhard tardfuck, but hey.

You need a guy like him to balance out the media pundit blowhard tardfucks (multiple) on Fox News.

JayDubya said:

Then again, Olbermann's not a person, he's a media pundit blowhard tardfuck, but hey.

And the Palin campaign characterized the Obama/Ayers relationship as "close".

You can't cry about your opponents misrepresent your stances when you are the one who opened Pandora's Box.

I'm curious to know why you're suddenly using aggressive language like "media pundit blowhard tardfuck" when Obama has been fighting bullshit messages like this from the right since he was in the primaries. You can't possibly have forgotten the "Obama = Terrorist?" rationale on Fox.

Tobor said:
Yes. The premise here is that guilt by association only works on those looking for an excuse to cover up their racist tendencies. They wouldn't care if their was a video of Sarah Palin "Sieg Hiel"ing a portrait of Der Fuhrer. I would imagine some would secretly like it.

Exactly, any excuse they can find. Have a conversation with them, they'll contradict their reasons of why they dislike him in about 10 minutes. The association game needs to stick to Keating and how it relates to the economic crisis. All this other shit amounts to nothing, because many of these voters have had ministers point out the Jew's refusal of Jesus as a possible reason for their suffering, or had some friend complain about wanted to secede from "Libruhl America", or heard some ridiculous minister relate debauchery as a reason for what ever crisis America is in; what they haven't had is some black guy putting America to task on some of its failing in light of christianity, pointing out racism, or a visited the house of a domestic terrorist. Barack Obama loses the "weak association" game HANDS DOWN because of that.

JayDubya said:

Then again, Olbermann's not just some generic person, he's a media pundit blowhard tardfuck, but hey.

I suppose it goes without saying that you could find some media pundit blowhard tardfuck in GB that would call the SNP terrorists, but it don't make it so until they're Guy Fawkesing Parliament.

Actually he called the witch doctor a terrorist. He did certainly terrorize an individual on religious grounds. He compared the founder of the AIP to Wright. And his quotes more than make the comparison apt.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nah I think if Obama is elected Republicans will quickly rally around attacking Obama and the Dems at all cost regardless.

Tamanon

Banned
Those people actually scare me. It was bizarre.

"I talked to two coloreds, and they don't agree with Reverend Wrong! It's going to be a white-out on election day"

ElectricBlue187 said:
Even though I agree with most of what Olbermann says, he is definitely part of everything that is wrong with news networks today

Everything is everything that is wrong with News Networks. I have my issues with Olbermann but he came along so late in the game it is silly to single him out when everything was broken way before he got there.

Zeliard

"I asked all of my colored friends what they thought of Reverend Wrong."

:lol

Wasilla.

Stoney Mason said:
Everything is everything that is wrong with News Networks. I have my issues with Olbermann but he came along so late in the game it is silly to single him out when everything was broken way before he got there.

People single Olbermann out mostly because he's that rare public figure on the left that will actually go on the offense.

Tamanon said:

"I talked to two coloreds, and they don't agree with Reverend Wrong! It's going to be a white-out on election day"

It's those awesome "small town" values Republicans are always trumpeting...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ElectricBlue187 said:
Even though I agree with most of what Olbermann says, he is definitely part of everything that is wrong with news networks today

It's a commentary piece. Fox News is a whole network dedicated to distortion and lies. This is a commentary. No issue here. Maybe if Palin and McCain accepted to answer questions people like Keith wouldn't have to speak out as such.

Juice

There was an awesome shop in the last thread of the entire world map with undecided / obama, where the only undecided coloring was over the US (implying the rest of the globe was probama).

anyone know where that is?

Socreges

Banned
JayDubya said:

I suppose it goes without saying that you could find some media pundit blowhard tardfuck in GB that would call the SNP terrorists, but it don't make it so until they're "Guy Fawkes"-ing Parliament.
huh.

and here i thought he was just demonstrating how associations to 'terrorists' can so flippantly and inconsequentially be made, to the point where even she is incriminated

he made a few poignant arguments. definitely a blowhard, but i suppose sometimes people aren't touched otherwise

vitaflo said:
What's interesting about the graph is that both actual vote marks are at the same spot the graph was 4 weeks from election.

Guess where we are now?

Pretend for one minute I don't know anything about metallurgy, physics or buildings, and just tell em what the hell is going on.

Cause I'm still trying to figure out what you're referring to. lol

Zeliard said:
People single Olbermann out mostly because he's that rare public figure on the left that will actually go on the offense.
Well, the problem in praising Olbermann is that it's mildly difficult to do without appearing like a hypocrite. If you're a left-leaning individual, it's not hard to understand why people would like him, as he's one of the only unabashedly liberal commentators out there, so we root him on because he's one of us!

However, it is a somewhat untenable position to rally against the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity, and Rush, all the while pretending that Olbermann is completely innocent of the kind of antics that we consider those guys guilty of.

Gruco

Banned
Tamanon said:

what

I mean, I'm assuming this is what people from Wasilia were saying on the Daily Show?

what

Tamanon

Banned
The Blue Jihad said:
Pretend for one minute I don't know anything about metallurgy, physics or buildings, and just tell em what the hell is going on.

Cause I'm still trying to figure out what you're referring to. lol

Judging by the past few elections, it means Obama will win by 6-8 points.:p Of course those were white guy elections so anything's possible.

probably old to many, but today's maureen dowd column really brought the lulz for me

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/opinion/05dowd.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Sometimes, [Palin's] sentences have a Yoda-like — “When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not” — splendor. When she was asked by Couric if she’d ever negotiated with the Russians, the governor replied that when Putin “rears his head” he is headed for Alaska. Then she uttered yet another sentence that defies diagramming: “It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there.”

Reared heads reared themselves again at the debate, when she said that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac “were starting to really kind of rear the head of abuse.”

She dangles gerunds, mangles prepositions, randomly exiles nouns and verbs and also — “also” is her favorite vamping word — uses verbs better left as nouns, as in, “If Americans so bless us and privilege us with the opportunity of serving them,” or how she tried to “progress the agenda.”

Poppy Bush dropped personal pronouns and launched straight into verbs because he was minding his mother’s admonition against “the big I.” Palin, by contrast, uses a heck of a lot of language to praise herself as a fresh face with new ideas who has “joined this team that is a team of mavericks.” True mavericks don’t brand themselves.

The difference (while slim) between the likes of Hannity and Olbermann is that Olbermann legitimately backs his claims up by sources that are hardly ever false. OReilly and Hannity take a single line out of an article and run with it without really fact checking.

Olbermann, while extremely biased, is as professional as an extremely biased person can be.

Vestal

Gold Member
Colbert being his usual AWESOME!

"So my children can live in a world were there is no cause and effects, were things just happen for no reason what so ever." His quote went sorta like that.

Don't particularly care for the guy, but what makes him left leaning? I'm serious. What liberal policies does he advocate on his teevee show? Sure, he calls bullshit on Republican strategies and tactics and discusses their obvious failings(as he has with both Obama and Clinton), but I'm not sure how that makes him a liberal.

BrandNew said:
The difference (while slim) between the likes of Hannity and Olbermann is that Olbermann legitimately backs his claims up by sources that are hardly ever false. OReilly and Hannity take a single line out of an article and run with it without really fact checking.

Olbermann, while extremely biased, is as professional as an extremely biased person can be.
For the most part, yes. But I have heard some dubious claims from him that have made even me, a person firmly in the left, tilt my head and wonder if what he's saying is completely true.

For the most part, I'm not sure if any of them (save Rush -- I never listen to him) overtly state outright lies. They (some more than others) just run with spin and plausible deniability. Even Hannity running off about Ayers, for instance, isn't completely untrue, even if it's grossly unfair. But it is true that, at one point, Ayers fit the definition of a terrorist, and yes, Obama has had 'ties' to him. So he can run with it and have cover from those who think he's a complete hack.

GhaleonEB

Pennsylvania GOP declared Obama a "Terrorists best friend".

I've been writing about political campaigns for more than a quarter-century now, and it really takes a lot to surprise me, but I am absolutely stunned at the depths that the Republican Party is willing to sink to try in win this election, even as polls are beginning to suggest it may be a lost cause for John McCain and Sarah Palin. At 9:29 p.m., I received in an email the sleaziest political press release I've ever seen. It came from the Republican Party of Pennsylvania and it's headlined: "PAGOP: OBAMA - A TERRORIST'S BEST FRIEND."
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/..._official_release_terrorists_best_friend.html

Text of their press release at the link. Predictable given the title, but its the single most blatant fear-mongering I've seen yet. And that's saying a lot, given this has been the McCain campaign we're talking about.

Steve Youngblood said:
Well, the problem in praising Olbermann is that it's mildly difficult to do without appearing like a hypocrite. If you're a left-leaning individual, it's not hard to understand why people would like him, as he's one of the only unabashedly liberal commentators out there, so we root him on because he's one of us!

However, it is a somewhat untenable position to rally against the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity, and Rush, all the while pretending that Olbermann is completely innocent of the kind of antics that we consider those guys guilty of.

As I keep saying I do have a problem with Olbermann occasionally but my major problems with O'Reilly, Hannity, and Rush is not only ideology but lying and fudging data. The opinion portion of the show is just that, opinion. I never fault him for the opinion part of the show which he is perfectly entitled to and generally speaking he factually distorts data or outright lies far less than the right wing pundits you just mentioned imo. Maddow does so even less imo.

BrandNew said:

my beef with him is that, most of the time he gets on his soapbox, it's because he (IMO) gets off on it. he had every right to go off on bush and alberto gonzales - i applauded those tirades. but when the dem primaries got heated up he really lost it.

Is it me or do her eyes just look.... not right in this picture (from the CNN ticker):

art.todd.palin.2.jpg

See, I normally really like Olbermann's special comments, unlike a lot of the bombastic speeches on the right, IE: hannity, Rush O'Rielly, savage, medved, malkin, Bortz, or any of the others who basically took Rushe's template; Olberman doesn't attack blanket "Liberals." He doesn't try to insult large swaths of the country to minimalize them. He keeps his attacks foccussed on those in power, those in the media. In that way he's different.

GhaleonEB said:
Pennsylvania GOP declared Obama a "Terrorists best friend".

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/..._official_release_terrorists_best_friend.html

Text of their press release at the link. Predictable given the title, but its the single most blatant fear-mongering I've seen yet. And that's saying a lot, given this has been the McCain campaign we're talking about.

Btw a few choice quotes from the founder of the AIP Joe Vogler which Palin's husband was a member of until 2002. She addressed the party a few years back as governor in video. And doesn't really answer questions about what events she ever attended that were associated with the group. This is what happens when guilt by association is how you play the game.

"The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government,"

"And I won't be buried under their damn [American] flag".

"I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions."

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
so the 7 witnesses who were refusing to testify... AND palin's husband all of a sudden decide to answer questions for trooper-gate?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/06/palin.investigation/index.html

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's husband has agreed to answer written questions in the state Legislature's investigation into the firing of her public safety commissioner, campaign officials said Monday.

Todd Palin has been resisting a subpoena by lawmakers since mid-September. But with the Legislature's report on the matter due Friday, Palin has agreed to answer written questions submitted through his lawyer, McCain-Palin campaign spokeswoman Meg Stapleton said.

Stapleton called the move a good-faith offer, despite allegations that the investigation has been tarnished by partisan politics since the governor became Republican Sen. John McCain's vice presidential candidate.

"We certainly hope this would not be the case, but there is a good chance that Friday's report may not get to the facts in a way that is at arm's length from politics as the legislators originally intended," Stapleton said. "However, Todd Palin believes it is still important to make an offer of cooperation and good faith."

She said the questions were submitted to Palin attorney Thomas Van Flein on Monday and are expected to be returned by Wednesday -- the same day the state Supreme Court is scheduled to hear a request by the governor's GOP allies to shut down the investigation.

There was no immediate response from the office of state Sen. Hollis French, the lawmaker managing the investigation. French, a Democrat, is the chairman of the state Senate Judiciary Committee and a lighting rod for critics of the investigation.

Monday's news comes after Sunday's announcement by Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg, a Palin appointee, that his office had dropped objections to subpoenas for seven members of Palin's administration. French said Sunday night that he believed their statements could be taken without pushing back Friday's deadline, but Stapleton told reporters witnesses "who look forward to having the truth revealed" had yet to give statements.

"You keep driving to make sure everyone has spoken and that you gather everything in terms of making a solid conclusion on the matter," she said. "We know that's not the case because all the facts have not been gathered. Todd Palin has not spoken."

When reporters pointed out that Todd Palin and the state attorney general's office had been fighting the subpoenas, Stapleton said French's committee could have dealt with their objections "in a day."

Palin says she sacked Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan in July after months of disagreements over state budgets. But Monegan has said he believes he was fired because he resisted pressure to fire the governor's ex-brother-in-law, State Trooper Mike Wooten.

Palin has denied wrongdoing, calling Wooten a "rogue trooper" who had threatened her family during his divorce from the governor's sister. Though she initially agreed to cooperate with the Legislature's investigation, her campaign has called it "tainted" by partisan politics since she became Sen. John McCain's running mate in August.

Palin aides have blasted French for a September interview in which he said the investigation could result in an "October Surprise" for the GOP. But they already had filed papers to get the state Personnel Board, which they argue is the proper venue for the inquiry, to take over the process.

Todd Palin has agreed to give a statement to that agency in late October, Van Flein said over the weekend, and campaign spokesman Ed O'Callaghan said Monday the governor is likely to answer questions from the board's investigator during the same week.

"The Palins hope that these responses will finally demonstrate that they are an open book and indeed have nothing to hide in this matter," Stapleton said. "Their commitment to cooperate with a fair and just investigation was never in doubt."

Meanwhile, Palin's allies in the Legislature are asking the state Supreme Court to shut down the legislative investigation. An Anchorage judge dismissed their request last week and upheld the subpoenas, but Alaska's five-member high court agreed last week to hear the case on an emergency basis.

The court is scheduled to hear oral arguments Wednesday afternoon -- but its chief justice, Dana Fabe, announced Monday that she has recused herself because her husband's law firm represents a witness in the investigation.

The Republicans, backed by a conservative legal foundation from Texas, argue that the Legislature's investigation violates the state Constitution's guarantee of due process. They also argue that the investigation led by French and former Anchorage prosecutor Stephen Branchflower fails to meet the goal of a "professional, unbiased, independent, objective" investigation set by the bipartisan committee that authorized it in July.

In dismissing their lawsuit last week, Anchorage Superior Court Judge Peter Michalski said it was up to the Legislature to manage its own investigation.

yeah. thats not shady at all.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I see Olbermann as an opinion columnist in any given newspaper. Yes, the newspaper pays the columnist to give biased opinions, but there are two conditions:

1) The column is printed in a special section labeled "Opinion" or "Forum," just like Olbermann only has his certain hour on the air and doesn't appear randomly throughout the day
and
2) The columnist must give facts backing up their claims and not lie while presenting their argument, and Olbermann has seemingly been mandated in a like fashion.

So Olbermann giving biased opinions is cool. News organizations have that sort of thing, just with limits.

Now, the problem is Fox News is that they have LOTS of opinion commentators and they attempt to pass their punditry off as actual news. They're essentially the Weekly World News of broadcast news outlets.

Stoney Mason said:
As I keep saying I do have a problem with Olbermann occasionally but my major problems with O'Reilly, Hannity, and Rush is not only ideology but lying and fudging data. The opinion portion of the show is just that, opinion. I never fault him for the opinion part of the show which he is perfectly entitled to and generally speaking he factually distorts data or outright lies far less than the right wing pundits you just mentioned imo. Maddow does so even less imo.
Yeah, you and I have had this discussion before, and I agree with you. I guess all I'm really trying to say is that one (not you) has to be careful if they're condemning the right-wing talking point guys, while praising Olbermann as a legitimate source of news. It's perfectly fine to like him for his editorial viewpoint, but just cautioning not to fall into a trap of going "Rush is a hack," and then immediately after stating "I get MY news from Olbermann."

Zeliard

Steve Youngblood said:

I agree to some extent, but I honestly believe with every objective fiber that I can muster, that the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity and Rush do what they do a lot more egregiously and maliciously than Olbermann does what he does. For example, Olbermann does stretch the truth a lot, but he rarely ever flat-out lies in the way that those three do (as various fact checks have shown). Olbermann also never says anything can be construed as even remotely hateful or discriminatory towards a certain ethnicity/race/religion/etc as those three have done over and over, with no consequence. He directs his rage mostly at policies and individual public figures, rather than, say, every single liberal and left-leaning person in the country.

There are some pretty significant differences between them, considerably moreso than the similarities, most of which lie on the surface.

Vestal

Gold Member
crisdecuba said:
Is it me or do her eyes just look.... not right in this picture (from the CNN ticker):

art.todd.palin.2.jpg

ARGH IM GONA HAVE NIGHTMARES!!!!! 1,2 fredys coming for you.. 3,4 better lock your door.

Vestal

Gold Member
Incognito said:
We're a sad group of chumps, aren't we? I'm waiting for the update before bed, too.

God. How pathetic.... :lol

But.. what if he doesn't update....

SORRY.... I didn't mean to say that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom