• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preordering games is dumb

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Now imagine being hyped about a big game, and knowing it will be part of a subscription service, you will be paying $15 a month, until that one great game you are really looking forward to comes out in a year.

That's even worse, especially if the overall surrounding games aren't cutting it.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, honestly I've only ever done it if it's a game I'm SUPER hyped about and there's some kind of incentive. Be it a limited edition, statue, or whatever.

If it's just a regular copy of the game I don't bother, lol.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There's something called Amazon, they only charge your credit card when the game is send to your house, and by preordering you are guaranteed of paying the lowest release price.

There is preload for digital purchases too, allowing people to play the game at launch.
I know, right? I preordered Smash for Switch and I ended up getting it for $59.96 instead of $59.99.

4wscyqh.gif

Kdad

Games aren't scarce. You'll easily be able to secure a copy at launch.

Preorder exclusives are scummy and shouldn't be supported.

The game might suck.

Why the hell would you commit, far in advance, to buying a game?
Over the years i've got launch games 30$ cheaper by pre-ordering and the game taking 2 or 3 years to come out (In fact if Skull and Bones or Dead Island 2 ever come out I have them secured at $39 CAD...it costs nothing upfront and I can cancel if the reviews come in poor for those that have pre release reviews. I also know what developers I like and game styles I like...i've never not liked a game I've preordered.

SantaC

The game might suck.

It was scarce before digital download era.

The game might suck.

You are right. Pre ordering games is dumb, especially for people like me who get the highest level of editions for free from publishers and most of the time prior to their release dates.

Seriously though, I don't think its a good idea to tell people how to spend their money imo. If someone wants to pre order and they 100% know they will play the game anyway, let them. Also preloads are awesome.

You're right. 99% of the time it's a bad idea. That 1% for a game like Cyberpunk. I never pre-order as a rule. But I pre-ordered the CE for X1 and PS4.

Ridaxan

I preorder a lot of my games.

I like the idea of spending the money now and not having to worry about it closer to release. I can always cancel/refund on steam if it's a stinker after all. So zero risk here in my case.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, I hate having physical copies delivered to my porch on launch day or digital games installed and updated days in advance for games I know I'm buying for certain.

The really smart play is watching the download bar for 3 hours, waiting 2 days for shipping, or driving to the store to buy it instead! All when I knew I wanted it already! 200IQ

Psos

Neo Member
Buying preorders is only an expression of your hype. I think there is more emotion than logic in that. I think there is more emotion than logic in this.

thief183

I buy preorders of games only if I want to support the developer, most of the times I don't even endup playing them.

CalmYe

Neo Member
Preorders are dumb IMO especially for digital stuff. Only time I have ever benefitted from preorders is when my dad bought a Samsung phone and I got a watch for free.

I'm really curious about how many preordered cyberpunk, statue and all, but still wanna virtue signal the pitfalls of preorder culture.

iHaunter

The game might suck.

Not if I'm going to play it regardless. I pre-ordered Demon's Souls Remake because I 100% knew I would want it and I could pre-load it on PC/Console.

LordCBH

Depends? Is it a small or niche publisher? You likely better pre-order or you may not be able to get the new Cold Steel game or remaster.
Is it a limited edition in a series that usually has pretty limited limited editions? Pre order or you probably won’t get that persona 5 take your heart edition.
Is it Call of Duty? You’ll be fine if you don’t.

OutRun88

Preordering had its place back when stores could run out of stock day of.

Now days it doesn’t make any sense, but companies have found a way to abuse people’s old routine.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
OP did you get burned by cod cold war?

Usually I pre order games i have a good idea about wanting to play. Always pre ordered cod, but not this time. My judgment always seem right.

A false sense of securing something early. This is only the case when your money is actually transferred prior to release.
What's false about it? Do I possibly not get it? And if not, do they keep the money anyway? Isn't there generally a perk they throw in? This all sounds like much ado about your bullshit. The same price is paid except preorders precede walk ins.

Onironauta

I think buying games at launch is also bad money management since you can have the same product (often improved by patches) for a fraction of the price just by waiting a bit. Imho the whole culture of wanting everything asap is very childish.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

The game might suck.

Some preorder bonuses are pretty good. Destiny usally gives ya an emote or something. If it’s something you are going to buy for sure don’t see the harm.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Some games I plan on playing regardless if they suck at release

I preorder every new Fallout title, for example

Last edited by a moderator:

Naked Lunch

The only games worth day 1'ing/pre-ordering are competitive multiplayer titles so you get in and learn the game with the community from the beginning. Otherwise youll get left behind.

Beyond that, games go on sale within months if not weeks. Unless you like wasting money, you can wait.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I think buying games at launch is also bad money management since you can have the same product (often improved by patches) for a fraction of the price just by waiting a bit. Imho the whole culture of wanting everything asap is very childish.

saving ~$20 to wait for a discount is childish

I’m an adult, I can fork over the MSRP. This isn’t coming out of my allowance money

The only games worth day 1'ing/pre-ordering are competitive multiplayer titles so you get in and learn the game with the community from the beginning. Otherwise youll get left behind.

Beyond that, games go on sale within months if not weeks. Unless you like wasting money, you can wait.
So are online games.
This right here is the FOMO all the preorder naysayers worry about. Just so happens to be the most easily monetized.

OutRun88

What's false about it? Do I possibly not get it? And if not, do they keep the money anyway? Isn't there generally a perk they throw in? This all sounds like much ado about your bullshit. The same price is paid except preorders precede walk ins.
My bullshit? What are you going on about dude?

It seems that you have failed to understand my very first point. Maybe you’re too young? There was a point in time when if one wanted to guarantee they could get the game on release they would have to preorder it (or be one of the first ones in the store). This just isn’t the case any more with how prevalent physicgame stock is, two day shipping, and digital release.

Anytime you part ways with money in which you aren’t getting equity, you are on the losing end. This was a sacrifice you had to make with preorders back in the day. It isn’t necessary anymore as I pointed out, so companies are taking money from you (if they pull the funds prior to release) and likely building equity off of it.

edit: typo.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

I don't believe in god. But generally avoid telling people it is dumb to go to church.

I may ask why they do that, and answers amaze me quite often though

My point is it is not my problem what people do with their time & money

Ten_Fold

I disagree, since pre-covid you could pick up a game around 9pm if you pre-ordered an it’s a big game. Just put $5 down an your good.

My bullshit? What are you going on about dude?

It seems that you have failed to understand my very first point. Maybe you’re too young? There was a point in time when if one wanted to guarantee they could get the game on release they would have to preorder it (or be one of the first ones in the store). This just isn’t the case any more with how prevalent physicgame stock is, two day shipping, and digital release.

Anytime you part ways with money in which you aren’t getting equity, you are on the losing end. This was a sacrifice you had to make with preorders back in the day. It isn’t necessary anymore as I pointed out, so companies are taking money from you (if they pull the funds prior to release) and likely building equity off of it.

edit: typo.
At this point it's definitely your bullshit. I'm old enough to have camped out for the dreamcast release, a thing still done for phones and Jordan's. Secondly, if you are anywhere near being an adult you'd know there is no equity in purchasing items from a corporation. Your told what it it cost and you pay that if you want it, fuck your feelings about what you think you should get. Companies always take money from you. You think because you wait for a sale your pulling one over on the publisher? No the other guy that sold it to you got over on both you rubes.

Take this libertarian utopia bullshit somewhere you can use a cat to get a game.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
To me, you're confusing being an adult with being a relatively wealthy person

I just find one of the perks of being an adult is that I work so I can spend money on stuff that makes me happy and not have to wait

Last edited by a moderator:

Desudzer10

If it's the normal base game, sure i don't see why you have to preorder it unless there are extra goodies(skins, weapons, currency, boosts, etc.). But i for sure preorder limited/collector's editions of games i love.

Bluecondor

I only preorder games that I am really looking forward to play, meaning a game that I followed closely as it is being developed. The act of pre-ordering the game upon the game's release date being announced is part of the enjoyment for me as I look forward to game's release.

For example, I have been following the development of Empire of Sin for more than a year now. I regularly read previews on the game and watch videos on the game mechanics. I am hyped to play the game, which is being released on December 1st. I pre-ordered the game at my local Gamestop so that I can go and pick up a physical copy on December 1st, which I am now looking forward to on the calendar.

Looking at the games I own though, of the 30-some games I have bought during the PS4/Nintendo Switch generation, only five of them were pre-orders that I followed closely before their release (Mafia III, Spiderman PS4, The Divison II - which I play with a group of guys online, Mafia: Definitive Edition and now Empire of SIn).

So, bottom line, preordering is something that I do as part of the hype/enjoyment for a select few games that I follow closely before they are released.

Last edited:
I just find one of the perks of being an adult is that I work so I can spend money on stuff that makes me happy and not have to wait
No adult I know doesn't have to make sacrifices between happiness and responsibility. Even the wealthy ones. Must be nice being lonely. 😉

I agree and disagree tbh.

Where I live I managed to preorder Last of us Part II for 55 euro. 10 euro off for preordering it. I did it a week before release and got one of my favourite games of all time.

Pre-Ordering a game you know you'll love and saving 10 euro doing it is a no brainer.

OutRun88

At this point it's definitely your bullshit. I'm old enough to have camped out for the dreamcast release, a thing still done for phones and Jordan's. Secondly, if you are anywhere near being an adult you'd know there is no equity in purchasing items from a corporation. Your told what it it cost and you pay that if you want it, fuck your feelings about what you think you should get. Companies always take money from you. You think because you wait for a sale your pulling one over on the publisher? No the other guy that sold it to you got over on both you rubes.

Take this libertarian utopia bullshit somewhere you can use a cat to get a game.
You’re seriously having issues picking up my point, and converting those issues to some beta-levels of aggression.

Money out of your pocket is money you no longer have to make equity on. Sometimes you sacrifice that I.e. securing you’ll get a consumer good at a specific date.

You no longer have to make that sacrifice. Preordering, in that sense, is an old habit. These companies still want your money, and getting it one day earlier is of interest to them (pun intended). They are playing off the consumer habit of preordering in order to do so.

junguler

Banned
it's not dumb, it's illogical. all of us do things that can't be explained by logic, but it doesn't stop us from doing it anyway.

You’re seriously having issues picking up my point, and converting those issues to some beta-levels of aggression.

Money out of your pocket is money you no longer have to make equity on. Sometimes you sacrifice that I.e. securing you’ll get a consumer good at a specific date.

You no longer have to make that sacrifice. Preordering, in that sense, is an old habit. These companies still want your money, and getting it one day earlier is of interest to them (pun intended). They are playing off the consumer habit of preordering in order to do so.
Your point is easily picked up just not agreed with. The fact you used beta-level non ironically says a lot considering my "aggression" got to you.

I'm not sure how you think equity has anything to do with purchasing games considering if you get it the day before, of or after release that money is gone. The sacrifice will always be made, they get the money regardless. A pointless gesture of not preordering but getting it 3 days later means nothing. You were just behind in handing over your money. Which you obviously will.

Last edited:

KevinHelpUs

Neo Member
It's a relic from the days of independent stores in your town only ordering X number of copies, but it's used to estimate game sales by publishers, so it will never go away. (Or for people who want limited editions.) I wonder if we'll see a decrease in this when GameStop eventually folds?

Top Bottom