• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticut [27+ dead including 20+ children]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So The Sun has only gone and done it haven't they

A-Yfg_jCIAAQb1E.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
So The Sun has only gone and done it haven't they

Worst newspaper in existence. Not even worthy as toilet paper.

But judging by that headline, why am I not surprised? Hope Activision sues the shit out of them. Pricks.

Once again, a media publication gives attention to the killer.

Care to substantiate this claim? I'd like to take a look at those studies. My hunch is that 'aggressive behavior' is poorly defined and that the young male demographic, which tends to commit more violent crime, also happens to be the same demographic that most often plays violent video games.

It's important to note that "aggressive behavior" does not mean "these guys are liable to shoot up a mall or school". It simply means a difference in mood was detectable in their studies.

Even my quoting that vague term, it still gets a rise out of some people because they have already convinced themselves they know videogames have absolutely no negative psychological consequences for anyone. You've already got your mind made up.

I prefer the scientific method, and I'm a bit of a news/information whore. I also play Call of Duty on a regular basis. That doesn't mean keep my head in the sand about such things.

It references quite a few papers, one of which is a survey of 130 something other papers. Do I need to go find links to the referenced papers for you, or do you think you can handle that by yourself?

You think all 130 of these apparently scientific, peer-reviewed papers are simply vague assertions with a set agenda that don't list how the tests were conducted?

Oh I get it, you want ME to go read every single one of those papers and then do the analysis for you. Well here's a news flash: I wasn't the one that requested them. And I don't imagine anyone else is going to do your work for you either. If you want studies that have looked at this problem, then go find the papers referenced above and read them yourself.

For all you know they could be 130 well conducted experiments that you apparently just don't feel like reading. Not my problem.

Some people will deny anything, regardless of the information in front of them. These are usually people who are not scientifically curious, and just create facts based on their own assumptions.

KHarvey16

Here is a very simple place to start. If your claim is that video games do anything other than increase violent behavior or contribute to it, that discussion has little relevance to the context video games were brought up in here. If you are claiming video games contribute to an increase in violence, you have to explain why violent crime rates continue to plummet in the face of rising video game sales(and violence in games). Of course this can potentially be explained if there is truth to any of it but that's a burden carried by those making the initial claim.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just read through the details of the shooting on Wikipedia.

Every single employee at that school is a fucking hero.

Just read through the details of the shooting on Wikipedia.

Every single employee at that school is a fucking hero.
Yeah. It's gut wrenching.
All the info on that wiki page has come from papers, etc so assuming it's accurate information I'd say the killer was not being brought up in a "safe" environment. The guns were his mothers and, apparantly she was a gun-nut survivalist "preparing" for the end of the world! Seems incredible and hard to believe.

You suggested we don't feel the same way you do because our reasoning has been undermined by our enjoyment of games. You can't substantiate that claim without citing something other than your opinion. Frankly it's a bit shitty to dismiss objections to how you feel by telling us we're just too into games to know what we're talking about.

Feel free to speculate to your hearts content, but don't try to call out others without something to back you up.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

This is going around my facebook feed right now. Are these people for real? Seriously?

Reports of more than one gunman? Obviously because panicked people hearing a ton of gunshots should be trusted with totally accurate recall of how people were firing.

Hari Seldon

Thanks for this:) Never knew/noticed that they could be this detailed.

Dude there is a whole world of flight sims that are pretty god damn detailed and have a large community. When I was playing a lot of IL-2 I could have probably landed a simple prop plane without dying at least, if not a perfect landing. The IL-2 community even had formal online flight lessons.

Then you have even more realistic sims like the DCS sims that are too hardcore even for me haha.

commedieu

Banned
This is going around my facebook feed right now. Are these people for real? Seriously?

Reports of more than one gunman? Obviously because panicked people hearing a ton of gunshots should be trusted with totally accurate recall of how people were firing.

Whatever the issues are, in Colorado, they interviewed witnesses that said a man opened the door(the fire escape/reinforced security door that can't be kicked in from the other side.), and that the smoke/flash grenades were thrown from behind the audience. It came in the initial reports of the shooting, and it is the reason that the first reports were of multiple shooters, that were then later corrected.

KHarvey16

Dumb. This has to do with inner city drug violence (mostly due to 80s crack), not suburban white boy violence.

80's crack in 1972?

Also, just to be clear, are you suggesting video games have been and still are restricted to white kids in the suburbs?

LowParry

Been getting a few emails with our local school district in response to all this. Something I found interesting was this sort of placement with schools here:

"All District schools are equipped with card access technology, security cameras and lockdown and incident command systems, along with many other precautions and procedures. All employees are required to wear District ID badges and are trained to intervene with any visitor not wearing proper identification. In addition, students and staff participate with first responders in monthly drills to prepare for a variety of emergencies. In the case of a school emergency, our local police and fire professionals are prepared to respond."

To me, this makes the schooling procedures here sound safe and on point. Though I can't really speak as a whole with this because my oldest goes to a special needs school and my youngest isn't even 2 yet. It just has me curious how the CT schools are handled.

Been getting a few emails with our local school district in response to all this. Something I found interesting was this sort of placement with schools here:

"All District schools are equipped with card access technology, security cameras and lockdown and incident command systems, along with many other precautions and procedures. All employees are required to wear District ID badges and are trained to intervene with any visitor not wearing proper identification. In addition, students and staff participate with first responders in monthly drills to prepare for a variety of emergencies. In the case of a school emergency, our local police and fire professionals are prepared to respond."

To me, this makes the schooling procedures here sound safe and on point. Though I can't really speak as a whole with this because my oldest goes to a special needs school and my youngest isn't even 2 yet. It just has me curious how the CT schools are handled.

Same here. My kids go to public school and while its good they have procedures in place how would that prevent what happened in CT? The guys shot through the front doors. I don't blame the schools. How can you prepare for something like this.

When I pick up my kids now there's an aide that has to check your I'd before they let you in. Is that aide qualified to stop someone like this wacko? It's a tough situation with no clear answer.

Sky Chief

Same here. My kids go to public school and while its good they have procedures in place how would that prevent what happened in CT? The guys shot through the front doors. I don't blame the schools. How can you prepare for something like this.

When I pick up my kids now there's an aide that has to check your I'd before they let you in. Is that aide qualified to stop someone like this wacko? It's a tough situation with no clear answer.

It is important to remember just how safe schools are. The fact that this terrible thing happened does not change this fact. The safeguards put in place work extremely well. Furthermore, I doubt that there is very much that anyone can do to deal with someone who is truly insane and wants to kill many other people and then kill himself.

equap

Banned

lol wow. you guys have some interesting friends. I don't think i'd see this if it wasn't for gaf.

Videogames are just another example of how we look for externalities to blame, especially parents.

White suburban introverts spending their time with videogames? that's a given. Them releasing tension/stress on aggressive video games? maybe. Them thinking they can carry out a shootout, or have the skills to do it in real life based on video-games? maybe.

That aggression/role playing translating into them being violent/aggressive in the real world?... not the fault of the video game.

It's the fucking parents, and the anxiety that we all live with in this modern society of ours.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
80's crack in 1972?

Also, just to be clear, are you suggesting video games have been and still are restricted to white kids in the suburbs?

Did I say only crack? Violent crime has been the hallmark of run down parts of large cities. More employment and economic expansion (recovering from the Reagan years) in the late nighties has helped those that used to turn to crime.

Males 8-18 are a key demographic for video games and I'm guessing having a family with enough income to afford all this equipment and games has been biased to the burbs, which is whiter. Now that TVs, consoles and games are all relatively cheaper the influence is all over.

Now video games are readily accessible and more graphic than ever. Should keep child psychologist busy for a while.

KHarvey16

Did I say only crack?

You said "mostly", which doesn't make sense.

Violent crime has been the hallmark of run down parts of large cities. More employment and economic expansion (recovering from the Reagan years) in the late nighties has helped those that used to turn to crime.

Males 8-18 are a key demographic for video games and I'm guessing having a family with enough income to afford all this equipment and games has been biased to the burbs, which is whiter. Now that TVs, consoles and games are all relatively cheaper the influence is all over.

Now video games are readily accessible and more graphic than ever. Should keep child psychologist busy for a while.

And yet that slope is still downward. Why?

NRA breaks silence.

http://www.khou.com/news/NRA-breaks-silence-releases-statment-about-Newtown-shooting-184020661.html

I find it telling that their response this time was markedly different from their previous responses. It doesn't necessarily mean they're prepared to make immediate concessions, but it does indicate that they view this as a potential turning point, or game changer.

Back in the 50s there was a fire in a Chicago school that killed 80 kids. It wasn't until then that schools started implementing more strict fire safety measures and everything we take for granted today. It seems to me like this situation is analagous and may have been the tipping point for better gun safety measures in school (regardless of what those measures ultimately end up being).

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this develops.

someday

Banned
MS Flight Simulator and others are pretty damn detailed in how they handle things.

Lockheed Martin use it as the base for one of their products: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_Prepar3D

Didn't MS take out the flight simulators/maps of NYC after 9/11? I don't remember if it was ever proven that they were used for training before that day.

I, finally, looked at the small bios and pictures of the victims. I had been putting it off but felt like I needed to do it. I'm feel sick afterwards. I'm sure I'm not alone here, but the other shootings were bad but there is just something sicker and cruel with going into an elementary school. They weren't his peers who had shunned him (which isn't any better). But, it's just worse.

When I need a good laugh I go on /r/conspiracy, it's full of shit like this. Apparently it's all a conspiracy so Obama can take everyone's guns.

Rorschach

Too many coincidences when there's no such thing as a coincidence.

Hilarious. I wish someone would post that on my Facebook feed. I'd enjoy replying to that.

So i had this idea today regarding mental health care. What if kids were required to have a free psych eval once a year? At schools they could just send someone out once a year and do the whole school at once. For homeschoolers they would just go to their houses. Hit every kid from 5-18 once a year, no opt-out.

Anyone who comes up at risk can be monitored more closely, especially with regards to guns in the household.

The problem is alot of parents miss all the warning signs and dont get help for their kids even though they need it, and the problems arent evident to anyone else

I ran this by some of my ultra-conservative friends earlier and it sounded like a great idea to them, and i would also be willing to forego most gun control restrictions if something like this were in place too.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So i had this idea today regarding mental health care. What if kids were required to have a free psych eval once a year? At schools they could just send someone out once a year and do the whole school at once. For homeschoolers they would just go to their houses. Hit every kid from 5-18 once a year, no opt-out.

Anyone who comes up at risk can be monitored more closely, especially with regards to guns in the household.

The problem is alot of parents miss all the warning signs and dont get help for their kids even though they need it, and the problems arent evident to anyone else

I ran this by some of my ultra-conservative friends earlier and it sounded like a great idea to them, and i would also be willing to forego most gun control restrictions if something like this were in place too.

Not a fan.

Considering how hard a lot of mental illnesses are to diagnose sometimes even with extensive knowledge of the subject, I wouldn't be comfortable with a bunch of people coming in and trying to identify illnesses in people en masse. If they only took action with the most extreme and obvious examples, then maybe I'd be OK with it. But they probably wouldn't. You'd probably end up with a situation where kids who draw dark comics or listen to death metal or deviate from what's considered normal and healthy in other ways being singled out just for being different. It would be a giant clusterfuck.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Don't ever go to GLP they have conspiracy threads on how there were 2-3 shooters and even the admins take it seriously.

Psych evals aren't like those hearing tests you got back in school though. It's not something you do in an hour en masse. Even with a small school of, say, 300, you'd need maybe 50 psychologists to get it done in a reasonable amount of time, maybe 30-90 day turnaround for each person. Where I live there's a waiting list to even get evaluated if you are a criminal defendant. Then there's the actual eval process. After that it might be 2-3 months just to get a report back from the psychologist.

Psych evals aren't like those hearing tests you got back in school though. It's not something you do in an hour en masse. Even with a small school of, say, 300, you'd need maybe 50 psychologists to get it done in a reasonable amount of time, maybe 30-90 day turnaround for each person. Where I live there's a waiting list to even get evaluated if you are a criminal defendant. Then there's the actual eval process. After that it might be 2-3 months just to get a report back from the psychologist.

Yeah, doesn't seem very feasible for 60 million kids each year, that's assuming they would be effective anyway, which I really doubt.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Newtown Police were on the scene after the principle got shot, but before any students were shot? Apparently they decided to wait for the State Police to arrive?

NeoZylom

It's against human rights. I highly doubt this would be accepted. You can't be forced to meet with a psych lol

daw840

I don't see anywhere it's claiming that's the reason for the drop.

It appears it's trying to portray exactly that being that the release of the first uber popular violent video game happens at the exact highest peak and the drop increases exponentially from there.

It appears it's trying to portray exactly that being that the release of the first uber popular violent video game happens at the exact highest peak and the drop increases exponentially from there.

I guess that means that video games make people more peaceful then right?

..... It's clearly not claiming that. Clearly. I'm not even sure why you would think it is. It's obviously just meant to show that the rise of violent videogames has not caused a rise in violence. Violent crime had a downward trend that was completely unaffected by games one way or the other.

X-Men The Animated Series was rated the #1 violent cartoon back in the 90s. So Marvel retooled it and we got the shitty animation change where nobody used their powers and Jubilee became a central figure in the show. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom