• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticut [27+ dead including 20+ children]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

So, the Sun's COD blaming front page yesterday was pretty bad, but expected. Todays is just fucking insulting.

Its a photo of Helen Flanagan, with a gun pointed to her head, taken from a promotional photoshoot. The headline reads: "AS 26 LIE DEAD AFTER US SCHOOL HORROR, HELEN FLANAGAN POSES WITH HER GUN TO HER HEAD...BRAINLESS".

The story describes how victims of the shooting, parents with MURDERED children found that photo of Helen Flanagan disgusting.

This would make sense if the shooting was in the UK, where people actually know who she is. I very much doubt a single US citizen knows who she is (a soap actor).

The Sun found this photo of a Z List soap star from the UK, flew it to the USA and showed it to the victims of the shooting to purely get a reaction to slap on their front page

Fucking hell

Aaron

So i had this idea today regarding mental health care. What if kids were required to have a free psych eval once a year? At schools they could just send someone out once a year and do the whole school at once. For homeschoolers they would just go to their houses. Hit every kid from 5-18 once a year, no opt-out.

Anyone who comes up at risk can be monitored more closely, especially with regards to guns in the household.

The problem is alot of parents miss all the warning signs and dont get help for their kids even though they need it, and the problems arent evident to anyone else

I ran this by some of my ultra-conservative friends earlier and it sounded like a great idea to them, and i would also be willing to forego most gun control restrictions if something like this were in place too.
This is impossible for many reasons. Aside from the massive effort and expense, there's no clearly defined rules when it comes to child psychology. What do you consider a warning sign? Doctors can't even diagnose ADHD correctly. A kid that draws guns in the margins of his notepad isn't the world's next serial killer. And even if you say like a kid who stays in all day playing violent videogames, ignores friends, yells at his parent is trouble waiting to happen, what are you going to do about it? Dope up a kid who is more than likely going to cause no trouble to anyone his whole life on the off chance he might lose it one day? I guess this a small price to pay that his parents can buy semi-automatic rifles for 'safety.'

So, the Sun's COD blaming front page yesterday was pretty bad, but expected. Todays is just fucking insulting.

Its a photo of Helen Flanagan, with a gun pointed to her head, taken from a promotional photoshoot. The headline reads: "AS 26 LIE DEAD AFTER US SCHOOL HORROR, HELEN FLANAGAN POSES WITH HER GUN TO HER HEAD...BRAINLESS".

The story describes how victims of the shooting, parents with MURDERED children found that photo of Helen Flanagan disgusting.

This would make sense if the shooting was in the UK, where people actually know who she is. I very much doubt a single US citizen knows who she is (a soap actor).

The Sun found this photo of a Z List soap star from the UK, flew it to the USA and showed it to the victims of the shooting to purely get a reaction to slap on their front page

Fucking hell

Why do people even allow this publication to exist? The US has its fair share of trash magazines like the Weekly World News and the National Enquirer, but they are mostly just joke newspapers. Imagine going to someone whose husband just died in Afghanistan or something and then showing the a picture of a Taliban guy dancing around with an American soldier's head in his hands. Why would you even do that?

Certain times I just think I would be equally happy without such few restrictions on so called 'free speech'

Lakitu

st5fu

Fucking hell

Can't believe they're still going and can't believe people buy that idiotic newspapers still.

As horrible as that story sounds, I'm not surprised, as it's just their standards. Attention-seeking parasites. I think most of the newspapers here in UK have been respectful, in fact, I haven't seen much publicised on front-pages about the killer (except for The Sun). Regardless, the media in UK is gutter trash.

Ikael

There have been studies that linked violent videogames to "aggressive" behavior.

Correlation does not implies causation. Studies have proven that violent persons tends to be attracted to violent games. Violent behaviour was a pre - existent condition, meaning that videogames had little if any effect over them.

CTE

It appears it's trying to portray exactly that being that the release of the first uber popular violent video game happens at the exact highest peak and the drop increases exponentially from there.

What the hell graph are you reading that we're not?

Amory

Continues to surprise me how many people in all this media coverage continue to get the name of the town/school wrong. Sandy Hill Elementary, Sandy Brook Elementary, Newton, CT, Newport, CT...

I mean it's really not that hard to get it right.

Polari

Sen. Joe Manchin, a conservative Democrat from West Virginia and a "proud gun owner," said he's now committed to "dialogue that would bring a total change" after the massacre in Newtown.
"Who would have ever thought, in America or anywhere in the world, that children would be slaughtered?" he asked. "It's changed me."

Wow this dude must be dumb as all hell. Dunblane anyone?

Fucking hell

Such an offensive photo that they felt utterly compelled to splash it across millions of front pages, obviously.

Just ignore them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You could put just about anything on this graph exactly like this and claim it is the reason for the drop....asinine graph
...this is my favorite comment EVER
skVnS.jpg
i can't believe voting for mccain makes you kill people

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
i can't believe voting for mccain makes you kill people

Gun deaths.. if you have easy access to a gun, you are far more likely to kill someone on purpose or accident or yourself with a gun. I can see how gun nuts vote for McCain and thus have guns.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gun deaths.. if you have easy access to a gun, you are far more likely to kill someone on purpose or accident or yourself with a gun. I can see how gun nuts vote for McCain and thus have guns.
obviously there are a lot of reasons for the correlation, I was just making the point that it's ridiculous to describe it as a causal factor

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
obviously there are a lot of reasons for the correlation, I was just making the point that it's ridiculous to describe it as a causal factor

It's a correlation. Obviously have a gun makes it more likely to lead to a gun death than not having a gun. No where does it say any one of those factors leads to murder.

Did anyone from the class he targeted/attacked survive?

One 6 year old girl survived by playing dead. There were some early reports that students came out of the building completely soaked in blood. They were apparently referring to this girl. She reportedly said to her mom, "I'm ok mom but all my friends are dead."

Dram

Did anyone from the class he targeted/attacked survive?

Conn school shooting: Little girl plays dead and is sole survivor of her class

http://www.examiner.com/article/conn-school-shooting-little-girl-plays-dead-and-is-sole-survivor-of-her-class
From the Conn. school shooting horror emerges the story of a little girl who played dead among her classmates, all who died after being shot by the masked gunman. This little six-year-old unnamed girl was the sole survivor of her classroom as she laid terrified and played dead among her deceased classmates as the shooter riddled the first grade classroom with bullets, according to “Fox and Friends” Monday, Dec. 17, 2012.

The Global Post is reporting that this little girl stayed perfectly still among her 15 dead classmates in hopes the crazed gunman would take her for dead and leave her alone. “Fox and Friends” talked about this smart move that this little girl made, but how she will probably suffer from nightmares for a long time after what she witnessed. Her mother reported that she thought her daughter was already suffering from survivor’s guilt after seeing the horrible demise of all her friends around her, according to the Global Post on Saturday, Dec. 16, 2012.

According to a local pastor, this little girl is not the only one in the family that is suffering from survivor’s guilt, but her mother is as well. This is due to many of her friends losing their children in the massacre, the one that her little girl walked out of alive.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
One 6 year old girl survived by playing dead. There were some early reports that students came out of the building completely soaked in blood. They were apparently referring to this girl. She reportedly said to her mom, "I'm ok mom but all my friends are dead."

Think 1 kid survived by playing dead. Hopefully her parents don't feel survivor's guilt.

Thanks.

And damn...

they should describe it as feigning death instead of playing dead. i dont know why that irks me.

Play is often used synonymously with pretend. Just because it's not "fun" I don't think it makes the word play any less correct. For example, you can "play dumb", and there's implication of fun being had anywhere.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but for the past few days CNN and HLN keeps running this clip every hour of some war-like CG footage from StarCraft and World of Warcraft as an example of the realistic violent war games that the shooter played.

I have no idea what games or movies or books the guy consumed, but it just pisses me off that CNN deliberately chooses misleading media from this largely non-violent game in order to sensationalize a story. WoW is not the horrific war game they want it to be so they choose misleading video to take advantage of a viewer's ignorance.

What has been horrific other than the shooting has been the reporting of this incident. I have never seen a worse job done by the media. The level of inaccuracies and unverified tales being reported as facts beats anything I've ever witnessed. Journalism is dead. I don't know what they're teaching these reporters in school and enforcing at these "news" organizations, but it has been a complete disgrace.

I've reached the point on this event where I no longer believe anything that I read or hear. They passed the threshold of bullshit news and now nothing true or false really has any credibility to me. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if someone started claiming tomorrow that the guns weren't the mom's and the guy was never diagnosed with Aspergers. They can't even nail down whether the mom or son ever had any connection to the school and that's a pretty straightforward basic fact.

Holy fucking shit.

One of the supposed parents of the Sandy Hook child victims seen on camera laughing and grinning just before a press conference.

People respond to stress in really weird ways. When I am in severe pain I tend to laugh. Not only was he going before a camera and speaking to an entire nation, his kid had been killed. And he had to talk about it. Live, on camera.

Also, you know that link is to a video claiming the shooting never happened and this is the proof right? That's kinda disgusting.

commedieu

Banned
Holy fucking shit.

One of the supposed parents of the Sandy Hook child victims seen on camera laughing and grinning just before a press conference.

Thats weird.........................

Weird because a bunch of kids were just shot - If its a reporter...

But, people are detached now at days, not surprised.

If thats a parent, well. Thats just weird.

I know no GAFrents would claim that they would get nervous and laugh like that.

Holy fucking shit.

This has actually happened to me before when a friend has died. I don't why it happens but I would feel like laughing briefly but would hold it back out of feeling horribly guilty. In fact, I would feel absolutely horrible about even the idea of it. I thought I was alone on this but apparently I'm not.

Thats weird.........................

Weird because a bunch of kids were just shot - If its a reporter...

But, people are detached now at days, not surprised.

If thats a parent, well. Thats just weird.

I know no GAFrents would claim that they would get nervous and laugh like that.
As I mentioned above, I've had the same thing happen to me during personal tragedies. I don't think for one second anyone dying is remotely funny, but for reasons I can't explain myself I've had it happen to me. Not sure if that makes me a horrible person or not, but I am well aware I feel shitty about the idea of it even occurring even as I've held it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom